All is not well with the Hoosiers . . .

30 comments by   |   Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 5:27 pm EDT

. . . according to long-time Champaign News-Gazette columnist Loren Tate.

The News-Gazette (which has a really strong sports staff) charges a subscription to read articles, and as much as all of your love Bruce Weber and his boys I’m guessing you won’t want to pay the fee. Here’s a link to their sports page, anyway.

But I’ll try to summarize:

That’s the gist of it, and if you’re crafty you’ll be able to find the whole thing for free.

To remind you about some of our reporting on this story: our stories/blogs/chats have already stated that Kelvin Sampson very well could be in serious trouble if the NCAA considers these violations to be intentional and therefore major.

We’ve also written stories about the process the NCAA will most likely go through before rendering a decision. Because Indiana conducted its own investigation, the NCAA had the choice of accepting all or part of it and investigating any part it wanted to. We know for sure that investigators have spoken to at least a few of the people involved, but because the NCAA does not discuss ongoing cases we don’t know the extent of the investigations.

Once any level of investigation is finished, the case would be turned over to the Committee on Infractions. That group meets once every two months (it last met in Indianapolis Dec. 7-9 and will meet again on Feb. 15-17). Its meetings are closed, and the committee does not disclose its review of a case — and any punishment it sees fit — for three to eight weeks after meeting. It does so by sending an e-mail in the morning that informs reporters of a teleconference later in the afternoon, during which the case is discussed.

That’s what we know. We’ll continue to try to find out more.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

BC transfer Ryan Anderson posts on Twitter that he will visit Indiana
Report: Trevor Thompson commits to Ohio State
Blackmon non-factor at Nike Hoop Summit
Blackmon to play in Nike Hoop Summit Saturday
Blackmon on Indiana All-Star team
Pete
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:13 PM EDT

Isn’t this the same guy who called Gordon “a steaming pile of 2-guard?”

KevinK
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 6:38 PM EDT

The longer this thing drags out the more scary it gets, but I wouldn’t believe Champaign sources if all they said was , “Good Morning.”

Chet
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:35 PM EDT

They’re wishing and hoping. I don’t think anything is coming down the pipe. Now, if it were Kentucky or Cincinnati, maybe. IU has too much goodwill built up and I don’t think Miles Brand is going to go out of his way to make us an example. The same would be true with UNC, Duke, etc.

johnnycee
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:38 PM EDT

while i am skeptical of anything written by an illini writer, i have to agree that if the ncaa finds that kelvin sampson knowingly violated the terms of his first set of sanctions, and intentionally was patched into calls with recruits knowing that was a violation of those sanctions, then he is, indeed, in some serious you know what, and so is the AD who hired him and kept him, and maybe iu, too.

‘lack of institutional control” i think is the name they give it.

too bad; iu was coming back and still may skate, but my gut feeling is that the ncaa is going to do a fine tooth comb job on this one, seeing as how it’s kelvin’s second go-round.

would it have been too much to simply take away his cell phone early on and hide it?

if kelvin drags iu through the mud again on this one, i see no choice but for them to kiss him goodbye.

bruce pearl, whither art thou?

slojoe
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:53 PM EDT

This guy has an axe to grind with IU and Sampson. What he says should be taken with a grain of salt (or maybe a to of salt).

Phil
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:59 PM EDT

Miles Brand has no love for Kelvin Sampson. Don’t hold your breath thinking that IU will get a free pass just because Brand runs the joint-he holds Coach Sampson in the same high regard as he holds something he has to scrape off the bottom of his shoe.

And it was a Peoria writer who called EJ that, not a Champaign writer.

We are in Trouble
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:00 PM EDT

All is not well in Bloomington. It sounds like Eric Gordon has a broken wrist. Just rumors right now, but I have actually heard from some reliabe guys I know that are never wrong.

We are in deep deep trouble if that is true.

#8 Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:12 PM EDT

On the Gordon rumor . . .

Nothing official from IU sources on a possible injured wrist. We’ll continue following the story.

Gunfight Jones
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:16 PM EDT

With EJ’s broken wrist and now this, the program is just going to go in a huge tailspin. this season will be ruined and next season as well. then a new coach will have to put in a new system and we start all over again. plus we lost a major player with Davis, who will we lose when Coach is canned?

I’m depressed.

NovaIllini
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:17 PM EDT

You hit the nail on the head. You can find the article for free if you are clever, but most Illinois fans aren’t. Therefore Tate will get a lot of hits and be able to keep his job a little longer. In reality, I wouldn’t believe it. He hates IU almost more than I do.

Burger Boy
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:18 PM EDT

How long did it take Oden to get back? I remember he shot one-handed for a time.

IUcoltsfan
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:23 PM EDT

This is looking like the worst day in Indiana history. I am NOT HAPPY

IU Jimmy
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:03 PM EDT

What are you talking about? I have a premium subscription. Its just a rumor.

Also, that “I HATE IU!” article just repeated a bunch of stuff we already knew.

jkramb
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:04 PM EDT

Burger Boy,
“Chris, they can’t divulge it because of Hippa confidentiality requirements. It’s all over Peegs premie though. Broken like a mo fo, and that sucks.”
that’s pretty much a flat out lie. There has been nothing more than some rumors and no confirmation.

HoosierDad
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:06 AM EDT

Loren Tate has covered Illinois sports for something like 40 years. He is old and grumpy, and he doesn’t like Indiana. That said, and even if you take his comments with a grain of salt, he wouldn’t and doesn’t just make stuff up. And he’s not a bombthrower like big city sports columnists who say controversial and negative stuff just to sell papers. And I can’t recall any instances of errors in his fact reporting. So this ain’t good news.

knasmiley
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:47 AM EDT

I guess I pay to read about what Loren Tate has to say, pathetic at best…………

This has been hashed and re-hashed, hashed and re-hashed and to put up a story by Tate is amateur at best, the HT can do better I HOPE………

Nobody knows nothing and that is a GOOD sign, if nothing major then we wont hear anything and that is my guess. Possible stay home for KS but beyond that NOTHING, poor journalism to put this on a Bloomington based paper, PATHETIC, Loren Tate is a BIG TIME TOOL……….

umpire
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:18 AM EDT

• Pete | January 29th, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
Isn’t this the same guy who called Gordon “a steaming pile of 2-guard?”
————————————————-
No, that was a columnist out of Peoria I believe. Tate would never write anything like that. He’s old and out of touch sometimes, but he’s not tasteless.

Joe Hoosier
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 7:17 AM EDT

I hate to say it, but I think there are some rough times ahead. I think the NCAA is going to dig deep for any dirt they can find on KS. If they come down hard, he and possibly RG, better start working on their resumes.

My prediction as of today is that Sampson will not be at IU next year. No inside info, just a hunch.

#19 Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:29 AM EDT

Just a few random thoughts.

First, I don’t think that IU is in any danger of a “lack of institutional control” finding. IU found and self-reported the obscure phone records that revealed the three-way calls and then took the extraordinary step of auditing the coaches’ home phone records (wouldn’t you love to see the home phone records of every assistant in the country). As for the commenter above who says that IU should have simply taken away Sampson’s phone, well, that’s easy to say in hindsight. As you will recall from the initial report, Sampson didn’t make a single outgoing call of any sort during the sanction period. It should have been easy enough to comply, but Sampson couldn’t have recruited at all if he couldn’t receive phone calls.

I don’t think that the phone call violations in the report are the stuff of major violations. I think the concerns are two-fold: 1) the chance that the NCAA digs and finds something more serious than what IU self-reported; or 2) that the NCAA disbelieves Sampson’s explanation of the three way calls and suspends him, which likely would result in his termination. Despite all of the rumors, I think #2 is a bigger concern than #1. The NCAA report on the OU violations indicated that the NCAA came very close to even more serious personal sanctions against Sampson.

MoMo
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:35 AM EDT

Having lived in Champaign-Urbana for six years and knowing Loren very well, I find it hard to believe much of what he says. He is such a homer for the Illini that back in the 80′s when Mike White’s football team got caught cheating three times by the NCAA Tate defended him over and over and over. Illinois finally fired White and Neal Stoner, the athletic director who hired and defended him — maybe that’s where Loren got the idea of a two-for-one firing. Loren Tate and the Illini have hated Indiana because of Bob Knight’s comments about Lou Henson in the “Season on the Brink” book — and how Knight always beat the Illini teams — and will do anything he can to try to hurt IU. Time will tell, but I give little credence to Tate.

#21 Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:43 AM EDT

MoMo, you hit on a point that I meant to make in my post. While I have never lived in Champaign, like everyone else I occasionally read most of the Big Ten’s beat reporters and columnists online. I don’t think there are a bigger bunch of partisan rooters covering any Big Ten school than downstate Illinois homers such as Mark Tupper, Bill Liesse (“steaming pile of two guard”), and Tate. Certainly, all beat writers have to keep access in mind and give the benefit of the doubt to the hometown team, but the downstate Illinois guys are as biased as the most passionate message board poster. Liesse’s excuse for the “steaming pile” comment was that he was so personally wounded by Gordon’s decommitment that he couldn’t think straight. How can a journalist who is so emotionally involved in the story do anything approaching a fair reporting job?

AL
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:25 AM EDT

We could have had Thad Matta …. ? (Oden, Conley, National Championship) Sounds good to me !

IU fan
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:28 AM EDT

Thanks to MoMo. My first reaction to this was “here’s another
Bill Liesse”. I followed the blogs from Ill fans after the Gordon
change to IU and was truly shocked by the venemous attack on
IU. I wouldn’t believe an Illini writer about anything he wrote
about IU!

IU Jimmy
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:45 AM EDT

Can someone explain why people are getting so bent out of shape over this article? Like I said, we already knew a lot of what he said, and the rest of the article was just speculation. Who cares what he “thinks”. There have been rumors from people with “sources” for months now. KS was supposed to fired like 3 different times in December, and yet he’s still here.

mardy
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:46 PM EDT

i hate to say it but we just have to wait until it all comes down,whenever that may be. lets just hope e.j. is ok and things turn starting thursday. go get em fellas

CB in OR
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:12 PM EDT

Sampson loses 500k and a scholarship for three-way phone calls. Bill Belichick loses 500k and a first round draft choice for cheating and is voted coach of the year. Sampson maybe gets coach of the year?

mark
Sunday, February 3, 2008 - 10:54 AM EDT

I find Greenspan quite comical. The same guy who hires a known cheater to coach, gets upset that fans chant obscenities. Come on, now, you get what you’ve earned. IU basketball is a joke now. The coach cheats, the fans boo their own players (remember Sean Kline?) and chant obscenities. Why couldn’t IU hire an excellent, hnest coach like Purdue or Iowa did? No, they had to go after a “big-time” guy, also a “big-time” cheater. They’ve reaped what they’ve sown. I live in Bloomington but until Sampson is gone, I’ll never root for the Hoosiers anymore. The don’t represent the values of the folks in this state. But Purdue and Butler do.

IU Jimmy
Monday, February 4, 2008 - 5:53 PM EDT

Hey Mark, don’t be such a drama queen.

GO HOOSIERS!!!!!

IUDingDaddy
Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:30 PM EDT

Alright, we might get rid of this guy sooner than I thought. All you so called IU fans that are sucked in by this guys winning percentage can kiss my Hoosier butt. I’d rather have a losing season with a clean program than cheat and win. Where is Alford? Scratch that, I think another coach just became available….

Comments

• Baseball. Hoosiers Host Hilltoppers On Wednesday - The 18th ranked Indiana University baseball team (21-11) plays host to the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers on Wednesday, with first pitch scheduled for 6:05 p.m.
  • M. Basketball. Tom Crean Instruction and Competition Day Camp - Online Registration | There are two options for the Tom Crean Instruction and Competition
  • Black Key Bulls, Teter capture Spring Series - Black Key Bulls and Teter captured the men’s and women’s white jerseys, respectively in dominating fashion Saturday, winning in Team Pursuit. In the men’s finals, Black Key
  • Team Pursuit Standings - SPRING SERIES UPDATED: Black Key Bulls clinched the Spring Series title with their time and will wear the white jersey on race day. With the final Spring Series event, Team
  • Cannon recaps Indiana visit - This past weekend 2014 junior college defensive back Maurice Cannon was in Bloomington for an
  • 3-star Tranquill staying patient with Irish - Justin Tranquill is hoping to follow his brother to Notre Dame. Will the Irish offer soon?
  • Q & A: 2017 Hamilton Southeastern wing Zach Gunn -

INDIANAPOLIS — In a class that has played only one season of high school basketball, Zach Gunn is one of the few that already has high-major schools interested in him. The

• Boston College transfer Ryan Anderson to visit Indiana -

Boston College transfer Ryan Anderson will visit Indiana on May 5, he announced today on Twitter. The 6-foot-9, 216 pound forward, who averaged 14.3 points, 7.3 rebounds and

• Indiana expresses interest in Cal decommit - Indiana has expressed interest in California decommit Idrissa Diallo. The big man would help the Hoosiers next
  • VIDEO: A glimpse at offseason workouts - In this video from IU Athletics, Yogi Ferrell and Hanner Mosquera-Perea are building strength in the weight
  • Indiana's Spring Football Game 2014