Who’s No. 3?

10 comments by   |   Monday, January 7, 2008 - 3:52 pm EDT

Injuries (this time Armon Bassett’s foot) are nothing new for this Hoosier team. Bassett will likely sit out for tomorrow night’s matchup in Ann Arbor and IU will look for someone to fill in the scoring load. It should be a relatively easy transition, considering Jordan Crawford stepped in nicely during Bassett’s three-game suspension in mid-December.

Bassett’s injury (however long it may be) brings up an interesting dilemma, however, because it could pave the way for a teammate to solidfy himself as the team’s third scoring option. Everyone knows the Hoosiers are led by their one-two punch of D.J. White and Eric Gordon- for my money, one of the very best duos in the country. But, as we’ve learned over the past few seasons in college basketball, it’s the deeper squads that win conference championships and advance deep into March.

On any offensive play, IU’s options are 1A. Eric Gordon and 1B. D.J. White. So, here’s my question: Who’s no. 3?

I don’t think it’s relatively obvious because the Hoosiers do have a handful of role players that are very good at a lot of different things. From a pure offensive standpoint, I’d have to say Jordan Crawford is the third best player. His 13.8 points a game shows that.

But if the argument is who’s the Hoosiers’ third most valuable player, I’m picking Jamarcus Ellis. I’ve always enjoyed the way Ellis plays– and how he’s able to affect the game in several areas. This past Tuesday was a perfect example: 15 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists.

You could also make an argument for Armon Bassett, pre-injury. Some would say Mike White’s role on this team is invaluable.

I’m interested to read everyone’s thoughts on this issue.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Official statements on Kenny Johnson
Jeremy Hollowell transfers to Georgia State
Johnson leaving for Louisville
Former Indiana player Mike Woodson fired by the Knicks
Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
Laffy
Monday, January 7, 2008 - 4:49 PM EDT

Ellis is my favorite player on the team and I think he could do a lot more damage than he already is.

Big Daddy
Monday, January 7, 2008 - 4:58 PM EDT

Laffy I have to agree with you, it seems to me that he is in the right place at the right time. He is starting to feel more comfortable and it shows. It’s only a matter of time before he records a triple double. While Jordan Crawford does show potential as a scoring threat, he is still a freshman and needs to mature a little bit more, I’m more comfortable with a 20-21 year old first year player than a 18-19 year old first year player.

ricky
Monday, January 7, 2008 - 5:14 PM EDT

I totally agree, it has to be Ellis. Every team needs a player like Ellis — someone who works hard, does all the little things, and also finds ways to score. he does it all for this team, and his value cannot be understated

Hoosier Hound
Monday, January 7, 2008 - 6:16 PM EDT

Ellis is quite obviously the third most valuable player to this team in my opinion. He is probably the overall third best player too. He may not score as much as Crawford does, but that is simply because he doesn’t shoot as much, it’s not his nature. But I’m sure if we need Jamarcus to score in a game, he will be able to pour them in.

james twitty sr
Monday, January 7, 2008 - 7:07 PM EDT

J.ELLIS,— WITHOUT A DOUBT

iusorr
Monday, January 7, 2008 - 7:46 PM EDT

I don’t see why a number three identification is necessary. If you’ve got two strengths like DJ and EJ drawing double teams, why shouldn’t it just be a team effort beyond that. Truth is if they are well coached, they should just play good ball and recognize that whoever ends up open with a motion offense should be a viable third option. Players at this level ought to be able to hit shots if play affords them an open, high percentage, quality shot or open lane.
On another note, does anyone want to see this team spread the floor a little more on offense?

Bobbie Jo
Monday, January 7, 2008 - 11:21 PM EDT

I like the combination of Ahlfeld and Finkelmeier off of the bench. Those guys provide a great deal of energy and entertainment when rising from the bench to begin a time-out. They also perform exceptionally during the layup drills before each half. Just my two cents…

Thanks

WW
Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 1:07 PM EDT

While reading the question I was already forming my answer, but I think iusorr answers it for me. We have multiple viable options besides our two named stars. If we are running a productive offense, any player on the floor should be an option to score. The key to success is for whatever five players are out there, to recognize double teams, collapses, and other defenses and react with sharp passing and drives to the basket. Not necessarily in that order. No doubt Jordan and Jamarcus can do this. AJ needs to step up and provide the same. Mike White, Lance,and DeAndre all can put the ball in. I have to assume Coach knows more about offense than any of us and is showing them how to get this done. As to spreading the offense….I feel we have several talented people who can penetrate and dish effectively so why not? I think it takes more time playing together and effective communication. I would love to be a coach with that roster of talent. The challenge for this team is being a defensive and rebounding force, each and every game. Those two will make this team a tournament toughie. Leave the egos at the scorers table and play together.

OK……the answer to the simple question. Jordan, Jamarcus and hopefully AJ can all become the 3rd top scorer on a consistent basis. Any of those five players can, in any one game, be the top five scorers. Kind of a broad answer … but see above comments.

WW
Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 1:10 PM EDT

and BTW Bobbie Jo…that is two cents but not very common sense. Funny stuff Giggle giggle

tyler
Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 3:21 PM EDT

I agree with the pre-injury armon bassett
Right now though in my mind, Crawford and Ellis are tied for 3rd. I think Crawford is talented, but doesn’t look for his teammates as much as he should.

Comments

• Baseball. No. 13 Indiana Blasts Ball State Behind 9-run Sixth Inning - Using a 9-run sixth inning, the 13th ranked Indiana Hoosiers defeated the Ball State Cardinals, 10-1, at Bart Kaufman Field on Wednesday night. IU has now won 14 out of its last
  • Softball. Softball Tops Louisville, 8-3 - The Indiana softball team combined a flawless defense with effective pitching and a solid effort at the plate to secure an 8-3 win over visiting Louisville at Andy Mohr Field. The
  • Report: Hollowell to transfer to Georgia State - Sophomore forward Jeremy Hollowell, who announced his intent to transfer from IU on March 24, has committed play his final two seasons of college basketball at Georgia State, CBS
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Hoosier Newsstand, Apr. 24 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • Big inning powers Indiana to another victory - Nine runs in the sixth inning, five off the bat of catcher Brad Hartong, broke open 1-1 tie to power
  • Video: Kenny Johnson introduced at Louisville -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Former Indiana assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Kenny Johnson was introduced as a member of Rick Pitino’s coaching staff at the

• Jeremy Hollowell transferring to Georgia State -

Former Indiana forward Jeremy Hollowell will finish his collegiate career at Georgia State. The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports and a source close to

• VIDEO: Johnson meets the Louisville media - Former Indiana assistant Kenny Johnson had plenty of positive things to say about IU on Wednesday when he met with the Louisville
  • Official statement on Kenny Johnson departure - Here's what Indiana coach Tom Crean had to say about losing his assistant coach to
  • Thursday Thinker the Third