All of the Hoosiers back on board

Indiana players board their plane, bound for Evanston.

DeAndre Thomas says that IU is No. 1.

As Indiana’s team bus prepares to leave Assembly Hall on its way to the Bloomington airport at 10 a.m. Saturday, all of the Hoosier players are there to make the trip for tonight’s game at Northwestern.

So IU will have a full squad for Dan Dakich’s first game as head coach.

We’re driving to Evanston and will be leaving shortly. Please join us tonight for live analysis of the game and discussion of where this team is headed after the turmoil of losing coach Kelvin Sampson.

• Jeff says:

Awesome. Now let’s go up there and give Danny his first win!

• Greg says:

You guys have been absolutely amazing through all of this. Kudos to the H-T sportswriters (and all the rest such as James Boyd). You all have stayed on track seeking the truth like true journalists — unlike the sensationalist, shameless national media (all except the Indiana AP writer in that implication). You all deserve a Pulitzer or at least some comp time off!

• Hoosiers 2008 says:

Thank you Damon Bailey for convincing the players
    to stay on board.

• Mark K says:

Greg, I agree that the HT- sportswriters have done a magnificent job with this terrible situation IU and fans have found themselves in.

That popular IU b-ball site which sahll remain nameless was full of ranting, raving fans and lots of worthless posts and was of little value as compared to coming here and getting the updates and accurate updates.

Again, awesome job guys and thanks for your great work and get to Evanston safe and sound to report back to us on our 1st victory under Coach Dakich!

Go IU!

• Mark K says:

Hoosiers2008, why did you get that info about Damon helping convince the players? I for one think it was Sampson that played the biggest part in stressing to players to continue playing and not do the selfish boycotting. While I admire their loyalty to Coach Sampson and understand them wanting to use some leverage on Greenspan, it would have been a terrible decision by those players that would have actually gone through with it.

Time to rally around the team and give our support to the team and IU!

• Hoosiers 2008 says:

It was stated last night that Damon was asked to come to Assembly Hall and speak to the players at the request of Dakich. I am not saying that it was Damon that “saved the day”, but I do think it was a very nice gesture for him to take time to come to Assembly Hall and speak to the players. It shows that he cares and was willing to help with the “boycott” situation…………..

• Jackie T says:

Indiana, OUR Indiana, Indiana, we’re ALL for you. Love the team-you guys are awesome.

Thanks HT. You are the only way some of us could keep an eye on the sistuation.

• kt says:

Damon was a great player, but has had no ties to this team. Not sure if his “support,” would mean that much to the players. I bet it was Ray who got them back on board.

• Lakeland Jim says:

This is good news that emotions aren’t driving a regrettable decison on their part. These guys have worked very hared and deserve the opportunity to win a Big Ten title and more.

On another matter. I hope that the AD does the right thing and steps down and is not part of the next coaching decision. He said in the press conference last night that he is responsible for all athletic matters. The buck needs to stop squarely on his doorstep for the poor judgement of making the Sampson recommendation in the first place,.

• LafayetteHoosier says:

I can only imagine that McCallum stayed on out of loyalty to the players and quite possibility at the request of Sampson to keep the players from making a terrible mistake.

Although I was prepared to watch EJ drop 50+ on Northwestern while playing alongside Taber, M. White, Finklemeier, Ahlfeld, and Stemler.

• Jason says:

Does anyone else feel that the players that skipped Dan’s first practice should not be allowed to play tonight? I understand the players venting their frustrations with the situation, but I think Dan should show everyone that he’s in charge now. If anyone skipped one of Sampson’s practices, you know they wouldn’t play for at least one game, if not two.

Also, anyone think it was Benson that sent the anonymous $550,000 to help the university with their payment to Sampson?

• LafayetteHoosier says:

Jason,

I considered that too, but these are kids and they were just emotional. You can’t fault them for making a statement and standing by the man who brought them there. Had they not shown up for the bus, I would have booted them off the team immediately. But now that they’re on the way to Evanston, let’s support the team and move on.

• Richard Storm says:

I believe that the players wanted to make a statement that they did not approve of the way that Coach Sampson was being treated by the press, elements of the fan base and the significant rush to remove a coach that they highly valued.

In their mind this process could have been just as easily adjudicated in the April-May timeframe as the NCAA requested. But also in their mind uncontrolled forces (media frenzy {not Hearld-Times} contributing to mob mentality within elements of the fan base) caused the process to speed up and adversely impact their season.

They also were advised and knew that it was in their best long term interest not to quit or boycott the team. Especially since they have been frequently labeled as making emotionally immature responses to the Coach Sampson situation because they’re 18-22. They also probably remember how other IU players were adversely treated by the fan base when they left the basketball team.

Coach Sampson and Ray McCallum were probably their most significant advisors encouraging them to pursue excellence as a way of experiencing healing through this ordeal.

Because of the gracious way that Kelvin Sampson handled his departure from IU:
    1. Continuing to successfully coach the team to victories through this emotional process and politely interacting with the press after games even though most wanted to grill him in the court of public opinion.
    2. Accepting a lessor amount of resignation pay than many attorney’s in the dialogue thought that he would receive.
    3. Agreeing not to sue IU regardless of the outcome of the NCAA investigation.
    4. And encouraging the players to pursue excellence and to continue with the team. I believe that he will continue to be this voice of encouragement for them throughout the rest of the season.

Because of these factors I am again optimistic about this IU teams chance for success this season.

As the song goes “For the Glory of IU”. I am now less concerned about IU entering a period of “ICHABOD” brought on by this situation and our response to this situation.

• Andy says:

Long live the Hoosier tradition. Best of luck to our boys left holding the bag. D.J. Eric Armon Lance and the rest of you deserve to win out. Go Big Red!

• dcdave says:

Jason,
    The answer to your question is NO!!!!!!!!!

• IU fan says:

Jason,
    I doubt that Benson has that kind of money to give away.
    My guess? Mark Cuban.

• fan says:

Let’s look forward and stop looking backwards. Sampson is gone, Dakich is temporarily in charge and all the players are ready to make the final push towards both the big ten and big dance.

Thank goodness this all happened on a Friday…as I woke this morning, i took deep breath and just want to forget about yesterday.

Who cares who paid the $550,000 other than if they have that much money to waste, give it to the school for some academic scholarships…

• Optional practice says:

What if the players were told it was an optional practice? Also, wasn’t it reported that all the players were present for last night’s walk-through?

• fan says:

you are correct…the reports stated all were present and under the circumstances of what happened yesterday…let’s just leave the players out of this mess…they are ALL on the bus!

• Ryan K says:

Jason, I think the only person you have on your side is Digger Phelps. We all need to put things into perspective. Everyone, myself included, needs to get past thinking we know what is right for this team and that includes those that fault the players for making their voices heard. Not letting them play is ignorant! This is their team, not ours. I can almost assure you that they realized the risk of making such a powerful statement in support of Sampson. Those of us on the outside will never understand the pressures or emotions of these players over the past 10 days. I think it is time for everyone to move on and show support. Crying and moaning because you feel these players somehow slapped you in the face because you’ve been an IU fan for 40 years is plain stupid. These players are IU basketball 24/7. Sure, they play in part because of the financial support many of us provide. But its their hard work and devotion that make them what they are. I for one would not be disappointed in the least if we could all just let go of whatever self emotions we have built up.

• Dave says:

DOubt it was Cuban as he said that he would never donate a dollar to IU athletics as he doesn’t agree with the NCAA.

Here’s a shot in the dark: Maybe the donor was Bill Cook?

• Mark K says:

Jason,

I think all players should play tonight no matter what transpired or was said yesterday. Time to move forward towards a Big Ten Championship.

I think it was Bill Cook or Mark Cuban who donated the $550K.

• TrueIU says:

I’m glad to see the team pull together. Yesterday had to be difficukt on those young men. Lets rally behind these kids and Dan.

Final Four Bound Baby!!!!!!

• John says:

I think you have to give the players a pass on this one in regards to the one game suspection comment. Normally, I’d understand where you’re coming from but they’ve been put in a pretty stressful situation not by their doing and it’s been trumped up more by the media into the massive distraction it’s become. I don’t blame them for missing practice and decompressing especially since they only learned of the verdict a hour or two before. I think their character as players will be shown in how they handle this going forward. By all accounts, D.J. White is a pretty stand up guy, I expect him rally his team around his adversity.

• John says:

Few typos and run on sentences there after re-reading, hehe. His adversity = their adversity.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

How many games will IU football win in 2016?