Knight explains timing of resignation to Lubbock newspaper

7 comments by   |   Monday, February 4, 2008 - 8:55 pm EDT

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal has a posted a story from an exclusive interview with Bob Knight about his sudden resignation. Here’s what Knight told reporter Jeff Walker:

“There’s a transition that’s going to take place here from me to Pat and I’ve dwelt on this all year long — about what would be the best way to do this, and how it would be best for him and for the team and for what we can do in the long run to make this the best thing for Texas Tech,” said Knight, who retires with 902 career victories. “I didn’t know, I’ve never really known when I was going to step down from this job. As I thought about it, my first thought was at the end of this season.

“My thinking was that for Pat and for this team — most of which is returning next year — the best thing for the long run for this team would be for Pat and his staff to coach these remaining 10 games,” Knight said. “And (to) get an understanding, get a real feel for each other, be able to think over the course of the spring and summer going into next season about how people had played, how things had been done offensively or defensively, what could be done or couldn’t be done, what to stay away from, what to work on and develop that from a game standpoint as the coach in charge of everything rather than as an assistant coach.

“It was always a problem for me as to just what would be the most effective way in this transition, to make this transition. And with all the thought that I put into it, that’s exactly how I felt that it should be.”

To read the complete story, click here.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
ScoopTalk: Indiana gets a big man
Hoetzel, Johnson take shot at Derby Festival Classic
Arizona center commits to Indiana
Etherington posts that he will transfer to Butler
Eric
Monday, February 4, 2008 - 9:44 PM EDT

I think it would be a nice gesture if KS had Coach Knight come back for one of our home games (this year). He did a lot of positive things for IU, on and off the court. MANY IU fans still remember and appreciate those things, and it would be a nice opportunity for IU to express it’s appreciation for all those good things.

I know the flames are coming from some regarding this idea. But things/people are different here, now. This would be a nice time to say THANK YOU !

Laffy
Monday, February 4, 2008 - 9:53 PM EDT

I think we should name the entire state after Bobby.

#3 Monday, February 4, 2008 - 9:54 PM EDT

<p>Eric,</p>
<p>I must admit, I’d love to see it too.</p>
<p>Sadly, can’t see it happening. Knight has stubbornly refused any interaction with Indiana since the firing. I just hope one day they name something in his honor, and he comes back to Bloomington for it. The fans, like you said, would love a chance to say thank you.</p>

WW
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 2:37 PM EDT

Zak is right on. Via Pat Knight, dad will not be back to this campus. I have seen the email. And that is the gentle version. I would bet that BK would respond to an independent IU fan(s) recognition of him …not associated with the university. That would be hard to pull off but deserving for the old cuss. A chance for old players and fans to respond.

Mike
Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 2:16 AM EDT

When it came out that Coach Knight was on a “Zero Tolerance Policy” and he said “His wife was handling his anger managent by leaving notes around the house saying “…quit beating the dead horse”, I turned and said to my wife, “I wonder who they are going to get to replace him.”
None the less I felt like I lost a member of my family. Nothing was handled right by either side. Coach should have his recognition. A chance for us, the fans, to say thank you and good bye.

#6 Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 2:13 AM EDT

#7 Thursday, January 7, 2010 - 2:14 AM EDT

In a larger sense,we can not dedicate ugg classic cardy boots ,we can not consecrate,we can not hallow this ground.The brave men,living and dead,have consecrated it far above our power to add or detract.The world will little note what we say here,but it can never forget what they did here.It is for us ugg classic short boots,the living,rather to be dedicated to the great task remaining before us,that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave ugg bailey button boots the last full measure of devotion,that the nation shall have a new birth of freedom,that the goverment of the people by the people and for the people shall not perish from the earth.
100107s1cqm

Comments

• W. Tennis. No. 16 Michigan Tops the No. 48 Hoosiers - The No. 48 Indiana Hoosiers fell to the No. 16 Michigan Wolverines 6-1 on Saturday on the IU Varsity Tennis
  • M. Golf. Hoosiers Tied for Eighth in Strong Field at Boilermaker Invitational - The Indiana men's golf team finished the first two rounds of the Boilermaker Invitational at the Kampen Course with a team score of 596 (301-295), putting them in a tie for eighth
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Black Key Bulls, Teter capture Spring Series - Black Key Bulls and Teter captured the men’s and women’s white jerseys, respectively in dominating fashion Saturday, winning in Team Pursuit. In the men’s finals, Black Key
  • Hoosier Newsstand, Apr. 20 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • Transfer talks Crean visit - Indiana coach Tom Crean met with a frontcourt transfer this weekend. Did the meeting improve
  • Photo Gallery: Derby Festival Basketball Classic -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Check out 30 photos by Jamie Owens from Friday’s Derby Festival Basketball Classic at Freedom Hall featuring IU signees Max Hoetzel and Robert

• Video: Hoetzel, Johnson talk Derby Festival Basketball Classic -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Future Indiana teammates Max Hoetzel and Robert Johnson were teammates in Friday’s 2014 Derby Festival Basketball Classic at Freedom Hall, falling

• Etherington Finds Perfect Fit - Indiana transfer Austin Etherington has chosen Butler after a visit on
  • The Thursday Thinker