Knight explains timing of resignation to Lubbock newspaper

7 comments by   |   Monday, February 4, 2008 - 8:55 pm EDT

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal has a posted a story from an exclusive interview with Bob Knight about his sudden resignation. Here’s what Knight told reporter Jeff Walker:

“There’s a transition that’s going to take place here from me to Pat and I’ve dwelt on this all year long — about what would be the best way to do this, and how it would be best for him and for the team and for what we can do in the long run to make this the best thing for Texas Tech,” said Knight, who retires with 902 career victories. “I didn’t know, I’ve never really known when I was going to step down from this job. As I thought about it, my first thought was at the end of this season.

“My thinking was that for Pat and for this team — most of which is returning next year — the best thing for the long run for this team would be for Pat and his staff to coach these remaining 10 games,” Knight said. “And (to) get an understanding, get a real feel for each other, be able to think over the course of the spring and summer going into next season about how people had played, how things had been done offensively or defensively, what could be done or couldn’t be done, what to stay away from, what to work on and develop that from a game standpoint as the coach in charge of everything rather than as an assistant coach.

“It was always a problem for me as to just what would be the most effective way in this transition, to make this transition. And with all the thought that I put into it, that’s exactly how I felt that it should be.”

To read the complete story, click here.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Official statements on Kenny Johnson
Jeremy Hollowell transfers to Georgia State
Johnson leaving for Louisville
Former Indiana player Mike Woodson fired by the Knicks
Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
Eric
Monday, February 4, 2008 - 9:44 PM EDT

I think it would be a nice gesture if KS had Coach Knight come back for one of our home games (this year). He did a lot of positive things for IU, on and off the court. MANY IU fans still remember and appreciate those things, and it would be a nice opportunity for IU to express it’s appreciation for all those good things.

I know the flames are coming from some regarding this idea. But things/people are different here, now. This would be a nice time to say THANK YOU !

Laffy
Monday, February 4, 2008 - 9:53 PM EDT

I think we should name the entire state after Bobby.

#3 Monday, February 4, 2008 - 9:54 PM EDT

<p>Eric,</p>
<p>I must admit, I’d love to see it too.</p>
<p>Sadly, can’t see it happening. Knight has stubbornly refused any interaction with Indiana since the firing. I just hope one day they name something in his honor, and he comes back to Bloomington for it. The fans, like you said, would love a chance to say thank you.</p>

WW
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 2:37 PM EDT

Zak is right on. Via Pat Knight, dad will not be back to this campus. I have seen the email. And that is the gentle version. I would bet that BK would respond to an independent IU fan(s) recognition of him …not associated with the university. That would be hard to pull off but deserving for the old cuss. A chance for old players and fans to respond.

Mike
Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 2:16 AM EDT

When it came out that Coach Knight was on a “Zero Tolerance Policy” and he said “His wife was handling his anger managent by leaving notes around the house saying “…quit beating the dead horse”, I turned and said to my wife, “I wonder who they are going to get to replace him.”
None the less I felt like I lost a member of my family. Nothing was handled right by either side. Coach should have his recognition. A chance for us, the fans, to say thank you and good bye.

#6 Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 2:13 AM EDT

#7 Thursday, January 7, 2010 - 2:14 AM EDT

In a larger sense,we can not dedicate ugg classic cardy boots ,we can not consecrate,we can not hallow this ground.The brave men,living and dead,have consecrated it far above our power to add or detract.The world will little note what we say here,but it can never forget what they did here.It is for us ugg classic short boots,the living,rather to be dedicated to the great task remaining before us,that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave ugg bailey button boots the last full measure of devotion,that the nation shall have a new birth of freedom,that the goverment of the people by the people and for the people shall not perish from the earth.
100107s1cqm

Comments

• Baseball. No. 13 Indiana Blasts Ball State Behind 9-run Sixth Inning - Using a 9-run sixth inning, the 13th ranked Indiana Hoosiers defeated the Ball State Cardinals, 10-1, at Bart Kaufman Field on Wednesday night. IU has now won 14 out of its last
  • Softball. Softball Tops Louisville, 8-3 - The Indiana softball team combined a flawless defense with effective pitching and a solid effort at the plate to secure an 8-3 win over visiting Louisville at Andy Mohr Field. The
  • Report: Hollowell to transfer to Georgia State - Sophomore forward Jeremy Hollowell, who announced his intent to transfer from IU on March 24, has committed play his final two seasons of college basketball at Georgia State, CBS
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Big inning powers Indiana to another victory - Nine runs in the sixth inning, five off the bat of catcher Brad Hartong, broke open 1-1 tie to power
  • Crean comments on Johnson's departure - Indiana coach Tom Crean issued a statement earlier today on the departure of assistant Kenny
  • Video: Kenny Johnson introduced at Louisville -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Former Indiana assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Kenny Johnson was introduced as a member of Rick Pitino’s coaching staff at the

• Jeremy Hollowell transferring to Georgia State -

Former Indiana forward Jeremy Hollowell will finish his collegiate career at Georgia State. The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports and a source close to

• VIDEO: Johnson meets the Louisville media - Former Indiana assistant Kenny Johnson had plenty of positive things to say about IU on Wednesday when he met with the Louisville
  • Official statement on Kenny Johnson departure - Here's what Indiana coach Tom Crean had to say about losing his assistant coach to
  • Foreign Study: Hoosiers in Pro Leagues Overseas