The General resigns: What’s his legacy?

29 comments by   |   Monday, February 4, 2008 - 9:39 pm EDT

Even eight years after his time in Bloomington abruptly ended, he is still as polarizing a figure as there is in Bloomington.

902 wins. The 1984 Olympic Gold Medal. Three NCAA titles, all here in Bloomington. He’s done it all. And not only that, he graduates his players and abides by NCAA regulations as well as any coach in the country.

But there’s the controversy. The chair throw. The allegations from former players and Puerto Rican policemen. The alleged “slapping” of one of his Texas Tech players, something I thought was blown a thousand times out of proportion.

For all of you out there, who I’m sure most are familiar with Knight’s career, where do you place him among the all-time great coaches?

At the very top? If not, then one spot behind the Wizard of Westwood, John Wooden? Ahead of names like Rupp, Smith and Kryzyzewski?

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
ScoopTalk: Indiana gets a big man
Hoetzel, Johnson take shot at Derby Festival Classic
Arizona center commits to Indiana
Etherington posts that he will transfer to Butler
Hoosier Fan
Monday, February 4, 2008 - 9:54 PM EDT

Great basketball coach who was highly successful.

Egomaniac with a very hot temper.

His success was overshadowed by his behavior. Most Americans know him for his outrageous actions than they do his basketball coaching.

Sam
Monday, February 4, 2008 - 10:19 PM EDT

Bob Knight is the greatest mens college basketball coach of all time and I’m not going by total wins or national titles. He changed the way the game is played and he did it while running a clean program. He is by no means perfect but his understanding of the game and his ability to teach is second to none. I’ve always believed if he was willing to suck up to kids like many do today he would have won more titles but that is not who he is. What I know for a fact is that the great coaches of today learned at his feet and if you truly want to know how great he is just listen to what they say about the man.

Laffy
Monday, February 4, 2008 - 10:21 PM EDT

Right.

It’s all the kids’ fault because they want their coach to “suck up” to them.

You worshippers are always great for a laugh.

#4 Monday, February 4, 2008 - 11:04 PM EDT

I agree with you Sam.

Stephen
Monday, February 4, 2008 - 11:06 PM EDT

Great coach, probably the best ever, and also a bitter grumpy disrespectful man. He knows Xs and Os better than anyone, but he has made so many stupid decisions when it comes to how he has handled situations throughout his life.

Laffy, by the way, your posts are always great for a quick induced vomit.

Hoosier Fan
Monday, February 4, 2008 - 11:21 PM EDT

I don’t think Bob Knight really ran a “clean” program. He followed NCAA rules but didn’t follow the rules of decent behavior. He chose to ignore a lot of rules, they just weren’t NCAA rules. It’s amazing to me he had so much respect for the NCAA but so little respect for women and people below him at the school. He didn’t respect law enforcement, didn’t respect his superiors at Texas Tech, and apparently, thought women who were being raped should shut up and just enjoy the humiliating experience. I wouldn’t categorize all this as “clean.”

There are a lot more important things in life than the NCAA rule book. Why Knight worshiped that book, and ignored every other written and unwritten rule still stumps me.

Laffy
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 12:01 AM EDT

I think only the biggest idiot in the world would claim that Ben at UCLA “sucks up” to his kids.

Coach K does too?

Tubby?

Izzo?

Completely ridiculous.

Bloom
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 12:40 AM EDT

All time college coach rankings:
1. John Wooden
2. Dean Smith
3. Coach K
4. Knight
5. Rupp
Knight’s legacy will always be getting himself fired from IU.

jay thomas
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 12:41 AM EDT

If he’d kept up with the game, and not “hated” recruiting (his word, not mine, used multiple times on air and in print), he might have added 3 or 4 more titles. But he took the attitude of “if you don’t already want to come here, I don’t want you.” So Indiana kids went elsewhere. And won national titles. But this isn’t Knight-bashing. I met him on multiple occasions, and he commanded a room like no one else I’ve ever seen. Never boring, that’s for sure. And you always knew where he stood on an issue. My take? Outstanding and flawed. I’m glad he was at IU. I’m glad he’s not here now. Just my opinion.

Jim
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 7:49 AM EDT

All of these debates are pretty impossible to define and rely on one’s perspective. I understand those who dont like Coach Knight and I certainly recognize his mistakes. However, his legacy to me is simply this: he’s my coach.

WW
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 8:08 AM EDT

His legacy? His coaching style, a bunch of wins, and his personality.

No doubt a great coach in his day. Like all of us on this earth, he had faults. His coaching style may be a bit passed it’s time, considering the new age of prima donna athletes and the AAU system.

He was his own man, which was offensive to many people. He had what I refer to as “big (short) mans disease”. Typically (but not always) very tall or short people have excessive personalities. Knight was a bully at times and many in Bloomington have witnessed it. I also have seen him be the most engaging and gracious person in the room. This is not a criticism but more an observation. With his status and income he could afford to do what he wants.

All the best to Coach Knight. He provided many years of IU pride to the program. That is his IU legacy. When I travel, every person associates my hometown with Bob Knight.

kurk81
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 10:29 AM EDT

He took a great program and left it even better. A fascinating and deeply flawed man whose genius was basketball coaching and whose flaws didn’t allow him to evolve and maintain his own standards of achievement. While I found his departure from Bloomington a relief, and the only way to begin the path to more championships, his contributions were immense. Hopefully, with time, the ‘Bobby fans’ who cared more for him than the university will fade away; and the ‘Bobby haters’ who let his abrasive personality cloud thier appreciation of his talent will do the same. Then we’ll be left with a deep appreciation of a very talented coach.

Grumpy Gus
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 10:41 AM EDT

He laid a great foundation for the school to build upon but refused to change with the times and let his ‘my way or the highway’ approach leave us Indiana fans stuck with Mike Davis. He can blame everyone this side of the moon for what happened but zero tolerance could not have been explained any better. He like ALL human beings and can have good moments but even his brightest ones don’t cover up his dark moments. Although a lot of people who agree with him were of the older age simply because his beliefs were right at the time, refusing to change is a bad addiction for a human to attain. Sticking to ones beliefs is one thing but when society and LAWS change, so should ones values to which their beliefs are formed. This man, although a great father, grandfather, teacher and wise with roundball knowledge, ended his tenure with our University in a manner that should have left a bad taste in all alumni’s mouths.

IU fan
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 11:25 AM EDT

He is the greatest student and teacher of the game of basketballl
who ever coached. I really believe he created the game the “IU
way” and was copied by many, many coaches. There are so many
who studied at his sleeve it would be difficult to count them.
But….he was selfish and mean in handling the players’ problems.
He intimidated. He swore at fans and players. He didn’t care if
people didn’t like him throwing cans of soda at players on a plane.
If someone got hurt? Handle that later.
He is an enigma that many of us greatly miss for his talent and success, yet are relieved he is gone for his vicious temper.

Jim
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 11:28 AM EDT

I understand your criticism of Coach Knight and agree he’s made many mistakes. However, I would say the zero tolerance policy is anything but explained well. If my employer wanted to put me on such a policy, I believe I’d leave right then. It’s such a subjective thing that it sets you up for failure. So, while he made mistakes and may have earned his termination, I definitely dont think zero tolerance is so clear.

Grumpy Gus
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 12:53 PM EDT

Well to me it seems like you had it all figured out when and if you were to ever be put on Zero Tolerance. You tell yourself that you dont like your situation and you are going to leave. He on the other hand scoffed at it and went on being himself. Looks like you one up’d the old coot.

Laffy
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 1:11 PM EDT

I have to give this board props. You aren’t flaming hypocrites like Peegs is… who bans people for speaking the truth about Knight.

What makes it even funnier is the message I got with the “rules.”

Most of the morons there break half of them every single day.

Guess they only apply to people who don’t have their head in Bob’s lap.

Kenny_G
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 1:40 PM EDT

Do as I say, not as I do.

Hopefully the subject of bob knight won’t come up again for a long, long time.

Jim
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 2:10 PM EDT

Thanks, Laffy. I certainly dont always agree with you, but I will agree that Peegs is a joke. At least both sides can be heard here…and about anywhere else for that matter.

#20 Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 3:12 PM EDT

Alright, here’s my next question.

National championship game. Teams evenly matched and you have a little less than 48 hours to prepare. If you could have any coach in the country on your bench (in their prime), who would you pick?

Grumpy Gus
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 3:16 PM EDT

Mike Davis.

Sam
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 3:40 PM EDT

I find it amusing people post on here criticizing someone else’s opinion and call people names like they are in the third grade. Then they declare their own opinion as the “truth”. That’s laff-able. Just state your opinion and move along. Don’t hijack the comments section because nobody cares to hear your critique of everyone else’s opinion. That’s not what Zak’s question is for.

Russell Upsom Grubb
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 4:12 PM EDT

I was in Bloomington and a fan of the IU basketball team for the latter half of the 20th century. Some of Coach Knight’s sayings and doings seemed wittier in real time than they do in retrospect.

On the court, however, between 1973 and 1998, Knight was the best coach of any sport in any league — a superb teacher. In my opinion, Coach K, Knight’s protegee, is the only college basketball coach to approach Knight’s status.

Bill
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 5:38 PM EDT

BOB KNIGHT IS THE BEST BASKETBALL COACH EVER. HIS PROBLEM WAS HE THOUGHT THAT HE WAS BIGGER THAN IU. THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM PERMITS THE SPORT PROGRAMS AND NOT THE REVERSE. BOB KNIGHT GRADUATED MOST OF HIS PLAYERS WHICH IS NOT COMMON IN SPORTS. HE TAUGHT GREAT BASKETBALL FUNDAMENTALS AND HOW A TEAM WAS SUPPOSED TO PLAY TOGETHER. COACH SAMPSON COULD LEARN A LOT FROM BOB KNIGHT ON TEAM PLAY AND BASKETBALL FUNDAMENTALS. MAYBE COACH SAMPSON COULD ALSO LEARN AT THE SAME TIME HOW NOT TO CHEAT!

Hoosier Fan
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 5:56 PM EDT

And maybe Coach Knight could take some notes from Sampson on how not to abuse women by throwing things at them, how not to abuse police officers, and how not to get into a verbal screaming argument with your boss in public.

Oh, and by the way, Kelvin Sampson kicked Bob Knight’s butt up and down the court in the BIG 12 Conference.

KevinK
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 8:28 PM EDT

Coach Knight sadly was a flawed genius. His highlights and sins are all well-documented. Most of the rest of us (gladly) cannot say the same.

Bottom line-If/when Coach Knight comes back to Bloomington to be honored, I hope to be able to be in attendance. And I hope the hecklers stay away.

Enjoy your retirement Coach.

Stephen
Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 9:53 PM EDT

Laffy you probably got banned from Peegs because you act like an idiot there just like you do here.

Stephens Mom
Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 6:11 AM EDT

STEPHEN, I TOLD YOU TO STAY OFF OF THE INTERNET!!! GO BACK TO YOUR ROOM NOW!

Chet
Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 2:18 PM EDT

Rupp isn’t even in the conversation. He won titles when there was no one to compete against. He got wins in the SEC when the rest of the SEC couldn’t beat a good high school team. I’d take Branch McCracken over a vile racist piece of trash like Rupp any day.

Comments

• M. Tennis. Big Ten Men's Tennis Tournament Bracket Released - Hoosiers will battle Minnesota in 7-10 match up on Thursday April 24 at 2:00 p.m. in East
  • M. Golf. Seger, Kollin Earn Top 20 Finishes at Boilermaker Invitational - The Indiana men's golf team registered a team score of 299 in the final round, giving them a total score of 895 for the tournament and a tie for ninth place out of 15 teams at the
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Black Key Bulls, Teter capture Spring Series - Black Key Bulls and Teter captured the men’s and women’s white jerseys, respectively in dominating fashion Saturday, winning in Team Pursuit. In the men’s finals, Black Key
  • An 'old school' scorer - For a proven scorer at the highest level of prep basketball, there's not many high flying dunks or
  • Irish offer Rivals250 DB - Lima (Ohio) Central Catholic four-star safety Darius West nearly ended his recruiting process earlier this week, but remains open and now has
  • Photo Gallery: Derby Festival Basketball Classic -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Check out 30 photos by Jamie Owens from Friday’s Derby Festival Basketball Classic at Freedom Hall featuring IU signees Max Hoetzel and Robert

• Video: Hoetzel, Johnson talk Derby Festival Basketball Classic -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Future Indiana teammates Max Hoetzel and Robert Johnson were teammates in Friday’s 2014 Derby Festival Basketball Classic at Freedom Hall, falling

• Etherington Finds Perfect Fit - Indiana transfer Austin Etherington has chosen Butler after a visit on
  • Hoosier Baseball Sweeps Spartans, Maintains First Place in Big Ten