Alford agrees to 3-year contract extension

21 comments by   |   Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:06 pm EDT

The chances of Steve Alford becoming one of the horses in the Indiana coaching derby became less likely today with news that Alford has agreed to a 3-year contract extension at New Mexico.

Amid Internet rumors of a mysterious IU plane in Albuquerque, N.M. over the weekend, a press conference will be held there at 3 p.m. (5 p.m.) Indiana time to announce the contract extension, according to the Albuquerque Journal.

The contract extension should help extinguish “hot and heavy” rumors in New Mexico that Alford will return to his alma mater at IU, according to a fan Web site focusing on the Lobos.

Last summer, Alford signed a six-year contract with New Mexico worth about $1 million per year. The new deal will extend the contract through 2016 but may not include a raise, the Albuquerque Journal reported.

Alford led New Mexico to a 24-9 record (11-5 for third place in the MWC) in his first season, a dramatic turnaround from the school’s 15-17 record in 2006-07.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Report: Sheehey signs with team in Montenegro ... or not
Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Jon
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:14 PM EDT

Would any one agree that the Bennett situation is a little strange? I mean, we put out feelers to see who’s interested. He must have atleast shown some interest only later to say “no thanks” when we contact him. What could we have said that he didn’t like, “we’ll double your salary?”

Jon
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:18 PM EDT

The post on the HT homepage says “Alford signs 3 year contract.” I lost a year off my life, no offense to Steve, but maybe it should say “3 year contract EXTENSION.”

Alan
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:19 PM EDT

Thank god he signed this. He isn’t that good of a coach.

ww
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:19 PM EDT

Jon, I am also perplexed at the protocol of these situations. I am guessing that we sent our scouts to flip a feeler to Bennett’s scouts. They take the message home and no smoke came from the chimney. So we move on. Crazy stuff.

Mark
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:20 PM EDT

So what happened to all this talk about us not talking about the search until we had a coach?

This is a prime example of why 10-member committees aren’t effective. We continue to look like amateurs.

Mark K
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:24 PM EDT

I agree that it is good that Alford signed an extension and we can take him off the list. He is not a good coach IMO, Iowa didn’t like him and I know there are better choices out there.

Any other ex IU players/coaches that could still be in the running?

Remember Dakich’s statements why he should be our next coach? –>
“Dakich says “there’s no question” he should remain head coach”

I think those who did not read that statement should and perhaps some should re-read it as it offers insights into the program that could be partly to blame as to why it could be tough hire for the marquee coaches we all would like.

Jon
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:26 PM EDT

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that Rick Greenspan was probably as surprised as anyone that Bennett said “no thanks.” The entire reason that feelers are used, i understand, is for confidentiality reasons. So Bennett can say IU hasn’t contacted him if indeed the feeler says he has no interest. I would not want to be Rick Greenspan right now.

#8 Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:27 PM EDT

Jon, good point! We fixed that. Sorry about that lost year. The same thing happened to me when I heard that my Reds had hired Dusty Baker, but I’m recovering from that.

Jon
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:29 PM EDT

Thanks Doug. By the way, you guys are doing an excellent job in coverage. Although, I’ll be happy in a month when I don’t have to check in every 4 minutes to see what’s going on.

#10 Monday, March 31, 2008 - 5:34 PM EDT

Thanks Jon. We’ll be happy in a month when we don’t have to worry every 4 minutes that something new might be going on.

Gary
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:17 PM EDT

Thanks Alan. We’re glad to have him at UNM. I’m a Hoosier, former IU season ticket holder and a big time IU fan and I thought Alford would have been a good choice the last 2 times the job has been open. Never dreamed we could get him here in Albuquerque, but now that we have him, hands off IU.

We have a top 15 recruiting class coming in next year and most of our players back from this year.

Alford will make some national noise for UNM in the coming years.

I enjoyed living in Bloomington, but it can’t compare with ABQ. Our snow mostly stays in the mountains where it belongs and the skiing, hiking, white water rafting & 100 mile views with gorgeous sunsets are great. We don’t have Mother Bears or the Timeout, but our mountain watering holes are a lot of fun.

JOHN
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:27 PM EDT

At one time the IU program was considered to be one of the top jobs in America, now we have a young successful coach with just ’2′ years of experience telling IU to stick their offer! Some program Greenspan has built here hugh?

cln
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:37 PM EDT

I love the mysterious IU planes. I think we should fly those around the country, just landing at intriguing airports like Raleigh / Durham, Lawrence, Knoxville, Memphis, Lexington, Columbus, Austin, etc.

IU Student and Fan
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 7:29 PM EDT

Bennett would have been a great fit. How Greenspan and his 10 fouled it up, I’m not sure I can comprehend.

From now on, the conversation begins and ends with Bruce Pearl.

Laffy
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:14 PM EDT

Scott
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:19 PM EDT

Like I said early today on a blog entry here, Bassett and Ellis are gone.

IU fan
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:23 PM EDT

Now that Dakich has kicked Ellis and Bassett off the team I
wonder who would even want to look at IU.
We’d better get one soon or no one will be left.
Dakich, lay off until your replacement comes!!

Flipper14
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:32 PM EDT

Dakich is the head coach. If the “players” don’t have enough respect to show up for a meeting Dakich has no choice. Good riddance. Maybe some would cheer for IU again if they start five walkons next year.

Bill
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:42 PM EDT

If anyone there actually knows Dan Dakich the man, and isn’t just basing their decisions on his 7 game record with a team still in shock from losing their head coach, or his 10 years at a small mid major with very little commitment from the school for athletics, you would all be on the “band wagon” to keep Dan on as your head coach. He knows how to coach and win at any level and he will bring back the integrity that has been missing from your program.

tberry
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:08 PM EDT

Dakich will not BE the coach but Dakich IS the coach. He has the responsibility to keep the team disciplined and ready to play for IU whether they like it or not.

No matter what his status he runs the team. The players do not run the team. if they don’t want to listen to the coach they need to go home. IU doesn’t need any player enough to give control of the team to them.

Nate
Tuesday, April 1, 2008 - 7:52 AM EDT

I agree with Flipper14. Walk-ons and home grown Indiana boys are what IU basketball has always been about. Those are the kind of guys we need to start getting back in the program. The only Indiana kids we have gotten lately are the ones that Coach Knight would have never even gone after for one reason or another. I think that is why Coach Dakich doesn’t mesh with the guys on the team right now because Dakich was and still is what Indiana basketball is about. If we can’t have Alford, then I am all for letting Dakich stay and clean some house and get Indiana type players back on the floor. Maybe we won’t be that good for a couple years and maybe we will have some walk-ons, but I bet they will actually play defense and do what they are told. I know I am tired of the 28 foot three point bombs with 30 seconds left on the shot clock. Dan Dakich did not destroy the IU program in the little time he has been coach, it started with the morons that decided to get rid of Coach Knight. Mike Davis was a terrible coach once his assistants were gone (Dane Fife and Tom Coverdale), and Sampson made a fool of all of us. Dakich has gotten no support from the players from the second Sampson left, so how can he be blamed for the past few games. I truly think he can turn the IU program back to the program it once was because he knows what it is once was and I believe he wants as much, if not more, than any of us to get it back to that. Dan is our man.

Comments

• M. Basketball. Taking A Timeout With #IUBB: Benefits of Canada Trip - WATCH VIDEO | Members of the men's basketball team talk about the benefits of the trip to Canada in early
  • M. Swimming. Hoosiers Set Record at Speedo Junior Nationals - The Indiana University men's swimming 4x100-meter freestyle relay set a new meet record to highlight day two of the 2014 Speedo Junior National Championships in Irvine,
  • Leaf plans to cut list soon - One of Indiana's top recruiting targets plans to cut his list soon. See what 6-foot-10 forward T.J. Leaf has planned as far as cutting
  • Mitchell trims list to 10 - Four-star guard Donovan Mitchell has added some big offers, but now he has trimmed his list to 10, with more cuts
  • Juwan Morgan, Shake Milton set date for official visit to Indiana -

Two of Indiana’s top recruiting targets for the class of 2015 will take official visits to campus together this fall. Waynesville (Mo.) forward Juwan Morgan and Owasso

• Report: Will Sheehey to play professionally in Montenegro -

It appears that former Indiana forward Will Sheehey has found a home for his first season of professional basketball. Sheehey will join KK Buducnost of the Adriatic League in

• Hoops Recruiting Central: The 2015 Class - Several 2015 recruits have set visit dates. How will the class shake out for
  • VIDEO: Indiana players talk Montreal trip - Indiana will take a team trip to Montreal in August. Courtesy of IU Athletics, watch and listen to IU players talk about the benefits of the
  • Quarry Q&A with Dustin Dopirak, Outgoing Herald-Times IU Athletics Reporter