All Quiet on the Coach Search Front

Actually, it’s not. But I was an English major, and unless I throw out a literary allusion in the titles of my blog posts I feel as though those years were wasted on less noble pursuits, such as obtaining the best seat on the patio at the corner bar. Which they might have been, but I digress.

There’s been plenty of talk. Everybody is hearing the name Rick Pitino and trying to figure out if it make sense for him to bolt Louisville. Tony Bennett, freshly freed from having to coach in that pesky tournament, is another name seemingly floating on the wind. A good source has told me that Thad Matta is a possibility and that Mike Montgomery is indeed being considered. At the very least, there seems to be more “reaching out” this time around; that is, the larger search committee has allowed for more contacts with potential candidates to be made. Whether those contacts are anything more than symbolic — or, for that matter, whether the Miller High Life Panel itself (or was that the Pabst Blue Ribbon Committee?) is merely symbolic — remains to be seen and, if athletic director Rick Greenspan has his way, never will be.

Silence is the emphasis of the athletic department during this search. After a few early leaks, there was a meeting held for the reason of informing people not to leak info … or else.

A few days later, word of that meeting leaked. From multiple places.

I’ve been trying all week to figure out what is really happening with this hire (which is why you haven’t seen me ’round these parts as much) and though people are giving me plenty of tips — like this one: “There was indeed an athletic department official on the plane that went to South Bend Thursday” — I haven’t been able to put them together into anything that really makes sense.

We’re trying. And we’ll let you know as soon as things start to come together and make some sense.

UPDATE: The aforementioned and possibly interesting news has been postponed. But soon. We think (or hope).

• Juan Blanco #1

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:37 PM EDT

Louisville for B-town, good trade!!! All these names are killing me. I would love to be a fly on the wall in RGs office.

• Mike P #2

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 1:43 PM EDT

Forget Pitino, he will not want to come into a place that he will have to rebuild, not to mention I don’t see IU offering up the pay it would take to get him, or him taking a pay cut to be here.

My top 2 coaches are both bowed out of the tournament last night. Bruce Pearl is a fan favorite, with his high energy, and charisma he shows on and off the court, how can you not like the guy.

My favorite is Tony Bennent. A young, up and comming coach, his teams play great defense, and unlike a Pearl or Pitino IU could have the same coach in place for the next 25-30 years if he produces what us fans expect.

• Mike P #3

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 1:45 PM EDT

And I spelled his last name wrong. Bennett not Bennent. Long day. Sorry.

• Walt #4

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 2:11 PM EDT

I could be VERY happy with either Pitino or Bennett. I’m not sure why Mike does not think Pitino will leave L’ville without knowing why he might be interested in IU. Might be something going on there that we know nothing of, but we keep hearing there is interest by both parties.

I think Pearl is too arogant, and Montgomery is too old. Don’t know about Matta, but I didn’t like the way his team played last year in their run. They had more talent than their play indicated.

Mostly I just want an announcement so we can go back to pulling together and rooting for the Hoosiers.

• S Carter #5

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 2:14 PM EDT

Psot the job for $100,000 a year and see who is REALLY interested!

No more ginormous egos please!

• ww #6

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:17 PM EDT

I am interested S Carter……..still. 100 large per year, TV show and shoe revenue, golf outings, and college hoops. Dream job. Oh………I have to win? Uh..how many cell minutes do I get? I promise there is no ego. Probably not a lot of wins either. Keep looking.

• Beavis #7

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:20 PM EDT

Wait a minute Mike P…. Hasn’t Pitino’s motive to go anywhere been to rebuild programs with storied traditions? UK — facing NCAA sanctions. Louisville struggling. Boston….

And now IU….

• ww #8

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:21 PM EDT

I agree with Walt. Matta can recruit, but not sure about his game skills.

• S Carter #9

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:41 PM EDT

It is a dream job, and we had better select someone who appreciates it as such. Many of the coaches mentioned will cost IU millions in buyout money, but I expect there are rich alumns already volunteering to do that.

It’s a job where, if you win, and do it with integrity you could retire from. How many of us are so fortunate?

• Beavis #10

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 3:57 PM EDT

Pitino. Pearl. Izzo. Gotta talk to them. Gotta!

And if they bite, write the check.

IU basketball isn’t a game. It’s a brand — important to the overall university.

Go Big Or Go Home.

• Northsider #11

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 4:11 PM EDT

Pitino is not going to leave horse country like Kentucky to come here unless his wife stays in Louisville without him. Do you know how much Louisville supports him outside his salary? nah, won’t happen in Indiana.

darn it.

Love the idea of Bennett though…….

• Kenny_G #12

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 4:27 PM EDT

Yep, Anthony Grant is the name I keep hearing…

• johnnycee #13

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 6:01 PM EDT

those (indy star, peegs…) who persist in perpetuating the tom izzo coaching candidacy rumor should be taken out and shot for being delusional. there is no way he would leave msu and come to iu.

first, he is a michigander, a yooper, and he is beloved in that state and the feeling is mutual.

second, he is an institution at msu, bigger than jud, his mentor, was and his reputation is set, like bo’s at um and joe pa’s at penn state, if he stays at msu the rest of his days.

third, his wife lupe and family love east lansing and living in a state that actuallly has ten thousand lakes and is surrounded by three bigger ones and has skiing, etc.

fourth, the money is good, tremendous in fact, many millions of dollars with bonuses; he is the richest college b-ball coach in the country, truth be told.

fifth, he has a great recruiting base with michigan high school basketball, tons of division one players coming out every year.

sixth, why start over somewhere that is troubled when he can stay where he’s at, in arguably, for now anyway, a better job in a better program.

finally, ever get the urge to move and then take stock of things and decide at your age it’s just easier to stay put?

i rest my case.

• Steve O #14

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 6:04 PM EDT

I’m still not sold on Tony Bennett. I mean the guy has all his father’s recruits right now playing as seniors. So right off the bat, we don’t know if the guy can recruit.

Secondly, I just don’t know if his gameplan can win us a national title. Washington State is a good team, but you saw what happened last night when you take a good team, who likes to slow the pace way down and extend the defense and pit them against a good team who likes to speed it up and run the floor.

Defense is really important, but being able to run an efficent offense is just as important, and I don’t think Bennett has shown he can do that. Washington State showed NO ability to come back from a defecit or play from behind in general.

So while I think Bennett might be a pretty good coach, I’d take Bruce Pearl or Rick Pitino over him in a second.

• ANDREW HAMILTON #15

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:39 PM EDT

Scott Skiles,
    What a joke, While in college busted for cocane and booed when every posesion of the ball. Once again what a joke that would be.Also he went out of state to M-State. If he was a player for Bobby he would have been gone. Never understood why Heathcoat kept him on the team,though I like Jud.

• ANDREW HAMILTON #16

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:47 PM EDT

Scott Skiles,
    What a joke, While in college busted for cocane and booed when every possesion of the ball. Once again what a joke that would be.Also he went out of state to M-State. If he was a player for Bobby he would have been gone. Never understood why Heathcoat kept him on the team,though I like Jud.

• ANDREW HAMILTON #17

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 8:51 PM EDT

Scott Skiles,
    What a joke. Busted for cocain use and booed by all IU FANS with every ball possesion. Also left the state for M-STATE

• ww #18

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:00 PM EDT

Is Andrew stuttering?

• ww #19

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:00 PM EDT

What about this Stephen Curry? MY MY MY! What an effort!

• ww #20

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:04 PM EDT

This entire Davidson team is impressive. Danny D should have shown tapes of this style of play for 24/7. This is what I love about March and April. Some darn good play.

• fun #21

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:14 PM EDT

It cracks me up that you think any high caliber coach will come to IU when the NCAA has yet to drop the hammer. They’ll be begging for Dakich to stay once the sanctions come down.

Pitino said he never should have left UK for the NBA, but likes it in a larger city than Lexington now. Plus, in the Big East conference he can visit New York and the east coast. He has everything (including great facilities and the #1 revenue generating college basketball school, oh and they are getting a new arena soon too) already. Why would he leave now? Since when did Pitino or anyone of their caliber care about IU or their tradition? It’s all about the money.

Facilities suck, Assembly Hall is a joke in this day and age, and Greenspan sucks. Please again remind me why anyone would want to come here? Tradition? Ha!

• TruHoosier #22

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:51 PM EDT

Fun… are you a boilermaker or an illini?

you sure sound like it!

• W.O. #23

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 9:56 PM EDT

Plane to South Bend? Mike Bray?

• TruHoosier #24

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:24 PM EDT

Rumors are REALLY starting to fly.. this is outta control they gotta get this done, and SOON!

• MM #25

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:27 PM EDT

Bray is horrible!

• Pearl #26

Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:09 PM EDT

his name is brey

• Mike 4iu #27

Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:58 AM EDT

Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports.com is reporting that IU made an offer to Tony Bennett. I know that these columnist are usually fishing but I have no problems with it if it is true.

• dunc42 #28

Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:01 AM EDT

Fox sports reporting IU has offered Bennett the job.

• Jon #29

Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:16 AM EDT

I read the Fox article as well.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football

• t:

Totally agree. I would think he is confident in his abilities. Besi [...]

• Omega:

Was I the only one that thought coach seemed a little grumpy and imper [...]

• DCdave:

If he is confident in his abilities he is gone. Last week his family [...]

• Ron: