Katz: IU wants to make hire by Thursday, but has not offered job to Bennett

25 comments by   |   Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:09 pm EDT

Well, here we go with the back and forth information and misinformation among various media. Andy Katz of ESPN has just reported that the Fox Sports report earlier this morning is wrong.

Katz is reporting that Indiana has not made a job offer to Washington State’s Tony Bennett, as Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports reported. Katz writes that he has spoken with a person with first-hand knowledge of the IU coaching search and with Bennett himself and that no offer has been made.

“I haven’t had one conversation with [Indiana] and so, no, I haven’t been offered the job,” Bennett told Katz.

Katz’s story says IU hopes to announce its new coach by Thursday. To read his entire story, click here.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Vermont Academy coach talks Emmitt Holt
Men's, women's Big Ten basketball schedules to be released Thursday
Emmitt Holt commits to Indiana
Kasongo not visiting Indiana, Holt scheduled to come Monday
Zagoria update on Kasongo, Holt
HighBar
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:13 PM EDT

Suggestion to H-T: cease reporting rumors and get to the story yourselves. I realize that isn’t easy. Otherwise let’s just wait for the official news. As things stand (or continue), all we’re getting is: he-said; no, he-said, no, he-….

Jon
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:19 PM EDT

If Katz is accurate about IU not being able to afford Miller’s buyout, that will seriously decrease the pool of candidates. Makes Bennett all the more attractive.

#3 Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:22 PM EDT

High bar, I hear what you’re saying, but I think most readers want to know what’s being reported elsewhere about this coaching search. We’re working on getting the story ourselves, but we’ll also pass along what’s being reported in the national and state media along with whatever fact-checking we can do on those reports.

When Fox Sports reports that IU has made a job offer, that’s not like a rumor passed among a few people. It’s published and widely read and discussed. We intend to be a part of that discussion by offering the information to our readers and following up with reports of our own.

Jim
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:39 PM EDT

This is why I’m so sick of all the reports. Until something is factual, it’s all gossip.

Thank you, HighBar!!!

Jon
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:39 PM EDT

So is anyone else concerned about the report that we can’t afford Miller’s buyout?

No Miller? Then definitely no Pearl, Pitino, or Izzo. Or any other coach that has been mentioned lately.

LME
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:46 PM EDT

Katz has no idea what we can afford. He probably got that from a message board.

TruHoosier
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:49 PM EDT

Just listned to WDNE radio, and this GOODMAN character was on it. He “confirmed” that Bennett was offered though he won’t admit it. He also said that he is unlikely to take the Indiana job, because he doesn’t want to be under a microscope. He said he is more likely to take the job at Cal or LSU (where his wife is from). Take what you want from this guy, because who knows who is telling the truth now!

They gotta get this thing DONE! It’s outta control!

ww
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:53 PM EDT

Thank you Doug! I would rather read the news (rumor or not) from you guys. To ignore national posts from ESPN and Fox, etc. would not make sense. I understand the frustration of conflicting reports, but weigh the source and go from there. We are all in the same boat….we won’t know until the horse barks it out.

Jon
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:56 PM EDT

I would bet that Goodman is not telling the truth given ESPN contacted Bennett and Bennett confirmed he hadn’t even spoken with IU.

Goodman’s sources are likely two dogs.

“Did IU offer Bennett the position?”

“Ruff”

“I think you said Yes so I’m gonna run with it”

Pearl
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:30 PM EDT

we can afford any buyout on the market. just like any good universtity we have some alumni who have done awfully well for themslves. if a buyout needs to happen im sure the money will show up somewhere. look at kelvins buyout. thanks again cuban, cook, johnny cougar, or whoever. we will be fine on money

Pearl
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:32 PM EDT

and doug you guys post everything you hear. some of us wanna hear it just for the absurdity of some of it. keep up the good job ill read it all day

Toast
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:48 PM EDT

Well I wouldn’t take anything Goodman says seriously. This is the guy that when all of the Sampson stuff broke wrote a story one day quoting unnamed sources that IU would fire him in a couple of days and then two days later wrote another story saying how he wasn’t sure what IU was going to do with Sampson and explained that they would buy him out, fire him, or suspend him. I think he just writes stories based on rumors and broad generalizations without any basis of actual knowledge. Monday he’ll write a story about how IU is suiting Pitino for it’s coaching position quoting “unnamed sources”, which will actually be this blog.

TruHoosier
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:48 PM EDT

ESPN Radio just said that Bennett and Montgomery are the two top choices for both Indiana, and Cal possibly including LSU. Also, they said Cal basically told people that they will have a “bidding war” for Bennett with IU and LSU. More updates to come on ESPN Radio.

If this serves true, we might lose because think of how much money LSU and Cal have from their football programs. Not a good sign for IU. Montgomery is a pure joke. I have a feeling people will be disappointed in this hire.

Pearl
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:53 PM EDT

how old is montgomery? pretty sure he wouldnt be one to stick around the planet 25-30 years much less iu

TruHoosier
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:02 PM EDT

He’s 61

Scott
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:39 PM EDT

Wait, Goodman was wrong?? No way! That has never happened before….

Laffy
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:40 PM EDT

1) I’m glad you put up the reports.

2) Montgomery? Dear God no.

Joe
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:59 PM EDT

Trut me on this one, guys.

You want Tony as your head coach.

This guy is going to go down as one of the best coaches in history. Period.

If you look at what he did at WSU – a school with no basketball tradition to speak of and once every blue moon tourney appearance – you will be very, very impressed.

I don’t want to lose this guy. I think he can keep WSU in the National spotlight for as long as he stays. He’s that good.

Bennett at a school like IU would be a knockout combination. Knockout.

Good for you if you get him. Better for me (and Cougar nation) if you don’t!

Either way – I’m a Bennett fan.

He’s that good.

Pearl
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 5:27 PM EDT

well with “joe”‘s endorsement im officially sold……

Knightrider
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 5:32 PM EDT

They call those rumor guys talking heads for good reason. It’s what they do for a living, talk, if they don’t talk and write, write anything, factual or not, they don’t get paid. This job goes to Miller or Mark Few. Why Few? Because he’s not in the rumor mill, that’s why. Oh yeah, he would be a perfect fit too.

Mike 4iu
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 5:47 PM EDT

I hope you are right knightrider. I would not have a problem with Bennett, but I would love to see Mark Few rooming the sidelines at Assembly Hall. If not Few then Miller would be a great 2nd choice. If we lose out there then Bennett would make a great 3rd choice.

TruHoosier
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:11 PM EDT

Bennett to decide within 24 hours.

CBS sports

#23 Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 6:54 PM EDT

I want someone who will stay here for a long time, take great pride in our program, be active in our community, and begin a new tradition of excellence here.

Now fwiw I don’t think Bruce Pearl is even remotely a good fit here. He seems a little arrogant to me. Pitino would be interesting, but this guy travels more than Gulliver. Don’t see it happening.

Few won’t leave his log cabin mansion in the mountains, and Miller’s buyout will be too expensive, and not worth it (yet).

I hope I never hear anyone mention Skiles, Alford, or Whitman again.

I’m going to sing the same song as many others and hope for Bennett. I don’t think he has anything to fear about being under a microscope, because our program is about as low as it can go right now.

The only way he can take it is up.

For now, I am not going to really take anything I hear too seriously. I hate the motormouths who think they are going to be the one who calls it…including the HT. I also am sick of the word “source”. I only want to read when the press conference is, and who is hired. Then I will be ready to root for the team again next year.

Chet
Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:07 PM EDT

I so want Bennett to be the next Hoosier coach. I think it could be one of those perfect fits that lasts for a long time. That type of thing can only happen with a young guy, usually a coach’s son. Coach’s kids have more experience than resumes ever show. His dad was a class act, also. I really think it’s an amazing fit.
If they hire a 60 year old guy I’m gonna be ill.

Dan
Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:04 PM EDT

I keep hearing name after name, but I haven’t hear Billy Donovan. Let’s face it. He did a remarkable job with Florida in a short time. Billy is not 60 yet.

Comments

• Cross Country. IU Cross Country Practice Off and Running for 2014 - The Indiana men's and women's cross country teams reported back to campus this week and on Tuesday had their first practice in preparation for the 2014 season. The Hoosiers will
  • Football. #InsideIUFB with DE Nick Mangieri - Junior DE Nick Mangieri is the latest Hoosiers to take you #InsideIUFB. From Youth Football Day to another preseason practice, check out Mangieri's perspective in
  • High-priority target Matt McQuaid will visit Creighton - Rivals 150 guard Matt McQuaid has scheduled a visit to
  • Canada review: Yogi Ferrell - If the trip to Montreal was an indication, Kevin "Yogi" Ferrell may be headed to a happy medium between
  • 2014 forward Emmitt Holt commits to Indiana -

Indiana’s 2014 recruiting class has a sixth member. Emmitt Holt, a 6-foot-7, 225 pound forward from Webster (N.Y.), is coming to Bloomington as a member of IU’s

• Video: Oladipo is Orlando’s young veteran -

VICE Sports is producing a four-part series on Orlando Magic and former IU guard Victor Oladipo and the second installment, which was published late last week, takes you

• Get 2 months of AllHoosiers.com for $9.95 - It worked so well last week that we're running it again. From now until 3 a.m. Sunday morning, buy 1 month of AllHoosiers.com for $9.95 and get a second month free. Come find out
  • Hoosier Links: August 19, 2014 - In today's Hoosier Links there is a story about IU's Canada trip in basketball and one on IU soccer. Soccer opens the exhibition season Tuesday
  • Emmitt Holt Commits