Three writers met with Tom Crean this afternoon to discuss his first three weeks on the job.
He’s been busy. To say the very least.
We’ll have a full story in the paper tomorrow, but here are some of the newsier tidbits to come from the conversation:
– Crean will have his third assistant in place by next week. He’s also completing the rest of his staff, bringing in a mix of people from Marquette and others he has known through the years. With the current situation at Indiana, he’s putting a premium on hiring guys that he already has a working relationship with. He needs to be able to trust them.
– Crean is recruiting as if Indiana will not lose any more scholarships due to the APR. Grades are still at the top of his priorities but he seems hopeful that, one way or another, the program will avoid the punishment of losing grants.
– No real update on Armon Bassett or Jamarcus Ellis. Both players have made it known that they’d like to return, but Crean is waiting on grades before he makes any decision on the team. Many of the players still listed on the roster are in this sort of limbo, it seems. Crean wants to see that they did what they needed to do in the classroom.
– IU has has been hosting unofficial visits almost every single day. A player was scheduled to show up after we left, in fact. Right now, the players are mostly from the 2008 and 09 classes, but a few 2010 players have shown up and the staff has invited 2011 guys.
– Indiana’s schedule is pretty much in place, with only a few games remaining to be figured out. The Hoosiers already play a tough slate of non-conference games away from Assembly Hall (Maui Invitational, at Kentucky, at Wake Forest) but there’s the possibility of a neutral site game being played at the new Lucas Oil Stadium.
– Crean had no reservations bringing Bennie Seltzer, a Kelvin Sampson disciple, with him from Marquette. “I know Bennie,” he said. “I’ve worked with Bennie.” Seltzer was not sited by the NCAA in any wrong-doing at Oklahoma. He spent most of his time working with the team, not recruiting, Crean said.
– Crean went house-shopping over the weekend but hasn’t made a decision yet. He’ll head home for a brief trip this weekend, as his son’s baseball season starts and his daughter turns 13.
Amen, absolutely... [...]
Notice how Kobe is suddenly taking control of this game and stunningly [...]
correction: he "resigned." Happy Halloween everyone!! ...Current [...]
I believe Michigan has fired their AD..... [...]
I pray Michael Blume's parents, and all the parents who lose a child, [...]
A theory not examined up by Bikoff..... Could it be possible that P [...]
Self-portrait pumpkin......? You make the [...]