A few recruiting notes…

It hasn’t taken new Indiana coach Tom Crean long to hit the recruiting trail.

According to various reports via recruiting hubs Rivals.com and Scout.com, IU’s new head man is making headway at filling in some of the vacant spots on the Hoosiers’ roster.

Firstly, it appears that Crean made quite an impression on a 6-4, 200-pound shooting guard from Mobile, AL named Nick Williams. Williams, who was released from his letter of intent with Marquette after Crean left for Indiana, told Scout’s John Decker he is very interested in the Hoosiers.

Coach Crean is a great coach, he has great passion,” Williams said. “One thing I really admire about him is he loves to win, and he’s a great player developer. That’s maybe the biggest reason I’d want to play for Coach Crean.”

According to Decker, Williams also likely developed a very close relationship with likely Indiana assistants Tim Buckley and Bennie Seltzer. Indiana’s top competitor for Williams is the ever-familiar Arkansas Razorbacks and coach John Pelphrey, who bounced IU from the NCAA Tournament’s first round last month.

I gave Williams a call Wednesday evening, but haven’t gotten a call back yet. When I do, I’ll keep you guys posted on what he says.

___

Another prospect Crean is eying is the highly-touted Verdell Jones, one of the top-ranked players in the class of ’08 who is still unsigned. Jones, a 6-4, 160-pound point guard from Champaign, Ill. (Yes, Illini country) is rated as the 123rd best player in the nation by Rivals and is currently a hot commodity in the recruiting world.

According to a story by Jeff Drummond of the Rivals network, Kentucky, Minnesota, Southern Illinois, Arizona, and Oklahoma are all in the running along with Indiana for the talented Jones. It appears that Minnesota and Kentucky are among the leaders.

He said that a recent home visit from Tubby Smith puts the Golden Gophers in a good position.

“I like him a lot. He’s a class act, and you have to be impressed with how he turned their program around in only one year. I feel like they’re going in the right direction.”

I left a message with Jones’ father Wednesday night as well, and still haven’t received a call back.

___

Also, Daniel Moore from Carmel told the Indy Star’s Kristen Leigh Porter Tuesday that he has turned down a scholarship offer from Boston University to walk-on at Indiana.

He had originally planned on coming to IU as a walk-on under Kelvin Sampson, but after Sampson’s resignation and the scholarship offer from the Terriers, Moore weighed his options.

But in the end, Moore says he always wanted to be a Hoosier.

“The plan had always been to go to IU and the Boston thing came up within the last couple months,” he said. “It was a real intriguing offer but when it came down to it, I always wanted to go to IU. I had dreamed of playing there since I was a little kid. I’m really thankful I don’t have to accept a scholarship and can go to a place I really want to go to.”

Moore averaged 13.5 points per contest last season for the 22-3 Greyhounds.

• Mike K. #1

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:09 PM EDT

• RN SPORTS #2

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:48 PM EDT

I got to witness Jones play at the Supersectional and was impressed. You can watch their supersectional game by clicking on the URL below. I do hope that the HS bloggers will allow this post to stay.

thanks,

• Haystacks #3

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:59 PM EDT

Does IU have any more walk-ons coming in? I have heard two names thrown around, Korey Barnett and Tommy Weakley, but neither have been confirmed like Moore has.

• Nate #4

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 7:39 AM EDT

I hope they let Weakly walk on. He is exactly the kind of player IU has always had but has been missing since Coach Knight stopped doing the recruiting. Suhr was the last close thing they had to that type of player and he wasted away on the bench until his senior year when Davis finally woke up and realized what he had.

• Mike_C #5

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:08 AM EDT

What about big men? We have too many guards.

• Mike_C #6

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:19 AM EDT

Also, why isn’t DeAndre Thomas practicing???

• James #7

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:25 AM EDT

probably because he is fat and terrible…he is probabl nose tackle for the second team offence by now

• Nate #8

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:33 AM EDT

Big men is something else we have lacked since Coach Knight, aside from DJ, and he was only good his freshman and senior seasons.

• Josh #9

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:48 AM EDT

“he is probabl nose tackle for the second team offence by now”

I hope you know basketball better than football and spelling.

• James #10

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 9:10 AM EDT

Granted the spelling wasnt too hot…but it doesnt change the fact that Deandre was probably the worst player in IU history to get that much PT…The further D is from the court the better

• Pete #11

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:55 AM EDT

they say he has been sick the past week or so. Seems like we will have a glut of shooting guards with these guys and Jordan.

• IU Jimmy #12

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 1:04 PM EDT

How do we have too many guards? Bassett and Ellis may not be back, so if we get these two commitments, we would have Jones, Williams, Crawford, Roth, Finkelmeier (walk-on), and Moore (walk-on). I’m not saying we couldn’t use another big man, but we do not have too many guards.

Also, James, if you’re going to make stupid comments about a player, please learn to spell.

• Jim #13

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 1:39 PM EDT

ANY WORD ON THE POSSABILTY OF STEVE BOUCHIE,S BOY HAVING ANY INTEREST IN IU SINCE HE IS GOING TO TRANSFER? HE WOULD BE A BIG BODY AT 6’11″. THANKS FOR KEEPING US UP TO DATE.

• Jon #14

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 2:38 PM EDT

Jim,

I read somewhere he would love to come here. Although, he would have to sit out a year wouldn’t he? Given Coach Crean will be recruiting Blue-Chips hard next year, we may want to save that scholarship.

• Jim #15

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 2:55 PM EDT

JON,
    THAT IS A VERY GOOD POINT. I NEVER THOUGHT OF IT,THANKS

• Jon #16

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 4:11 PM EDT

Unrelated but I read yesterday Robert Vaden had declared for the NBA draft; forgoing his senior year. But I don’t think he’s hired an agent yet.

• Bob #17

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 5:43 PM EDT

how would he be able to leave his buddy-buddy papa figure mikey(loser)davis..!!!

• John #18

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 6:53 PM EDT

I’ll bet Mike Davis is willing to be his agent!

• Jared #19

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:05 PM EDT

Nate, you are a retard. Suhr played a pretty decent amount for Davis. He played a lot his junior year and some during his sophomore year. Davis wasn’t there during Suhr’s senior year either. Learn something about what you’re talking about.

• ww #20

Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 8:05 AM EDT

Zak and others, Good work on recruit info. Keeps the faithful breathing and without missed heart beats.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football