Crean excited about arrival to Hoosier Country

dscn0336.JPG

Just caught up with the man of the hour: Mr. Tom Crean.

Crean just arrived in Bloomington about an hour ago and headed towards the Bloomington Hilton Garden Inn, where he’ll be staying tonight. He popped out of the backseat of a Lincoln sedan and immediately started talking with a few IU students who had been waiting outside the hotel.

Crean wasn’t hesitant to converse with the students or the media. When asked why he took the job, IU’s new head man gave his answer.

“‘Cuz it’s Indiana. I’ve competed in this league and against Indiana. I grew up in the Midwest. If you’re a college basketball fan then you know exactly what Indiana basketball is all about. If you’re a coach then you identify this as one of the greatest jobs in the country.”

He also got off to a good start with at least one fan. An IU student, trying to prove to his friend that he was talking to IU’s new coach, offered Crean the chance to convince his friend on the phone.

“Hey, I don’t know the IU fight song yet,” Crean told the student. “Can you guys sing it to me?” The few fans outside the Garden Inn proceeded with their best version of “Indiana, Our Indiana.”

“Indiana basketball, forever, has been bigger than one person,” he said. “Certainly there has been some great names of coaches and players that have come through here and made this the legendary program that it is. And it will happen again. And it’s going to be a challenge. There’s no way I would have accepted it if I didn’t think I was up for it.”

• PERRY1000 #1

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 12:38 AM EDT

So far, so good. I’ll give him the chance to succeed Mccrackin and Knight. All I ask is that he win 30 games a year and a championship every 6 or 7 years.

BTW: I really like the Blomington Hilton. I remember seeing a Purdue bus being towed in front of it with a flat tire. Really nice personnel who work at the Hilton. Good memories.

• Kenny_G #2

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 12:44 AM EDT

First your all night coverage of the Sampson resignation/presser fiasco and now this. YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

Where do i go to nominate y’all for blog of the year?

• Zak #3

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 12:50 AM EDT

Thanks Kenny G. Any compliments are always appreciated.

• BigBillWalsh #4

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 1:02 AM EDT

Hey Kenny, You any relation to BMF Kenny G?

• Hoosier Reader #5

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 8:22 AM EDT

I am hopeful that IU has finally made the right decision. If not, Greenspan had better be out of there!!

I do have one question though, in reading the other article, it stated that Crean rebuffed IU when they tried to recruit him before they hired Davis. Why was he against IU then and now more than willing to come to IU?

• Chet #6

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 9:35 AM EDT

Nobody in their right mind wanted to be the coach that replaced Knight.

• tberry #7

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 10:54 AM EDT

Welcome Coach Crean. We are proud of IU’s Basketball Tradition and hope you are proud to be here.

GO HOOSIERS!!!

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football