Report: Sampson likely headed to Bucks

Marc Stein of ESPN.com is reporting that former Hoosier coach Kelvin Sampson is talking with the Milwaukee Bucks about an assistant coaching job.

New Bucks coach Scott Skiles, according to the story, has targeted Sampson and Muncie native Craig Neal - associate head coach under Steve Alford at Iowa and New Mexico - to be part of his staff in Milwaukee.

Skiles, who led Plymouth High School – enrollment 900 – to the Indiana high school state title in 1982 while averaging 30.2 per game, including 39 points in the championship game, has been living in Bloomington since being fired as the Chicago Bulls coach in December 2007.  Never a favorite of the crowd at Assembly Hall, Skiles was also a Big Ten MVP and a first-team All-American at Michigan State who had some very memorable battles against Alford and the Hoosiers before going on to an NBA playing career that included a couple of years with the Indiana Pacers.

Since Sampson was forced to resign in February, he has been an unofficial observer with the San Antonio Spurs. He could not be reached to comment on Stein’s story. To read that entire story, click here.

• Sam #1

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:13 AM EDT

Nobody cares what Kelvin is doing. As long as it has nothing to do with IU or college basketball all is well. I’d prefer he be forgotten completely or just a distant memory of the time right before IU’s return to greatness.

• Mike P #2

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:36 AM EDT

Sam,

I 2nd those comments, though I understand why Doug and Chris run these tid bits. If not, someone will be asking about it.

• Btown #3

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:22 AM EDT

Even though a lot of fans don’t care what Kelvin does or say, there are still people who are curious to see where he goes. With that said, I’m glad Doug and Chris had a little blurb.

As some of you may know, Skiles is a Bloomington resident and I’m sure he and Sampson crossed paths on several occasions. I think this would be a good fit for Sampson at this point and maybe he returns to the college game in a few years.

• mardy #4

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:58 AM EDT

it’s really sad that k.s gets 750,000 and a new job and i.u gets penalties that hurt the program. thank goodness r.greenspan got it right this time hiring tom crean.

• bhss73 #5

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 1:57 PM EDT

Great.. I could care less about Sampson and even less about the NBA. That means I will never have to see or hear about that stupid SOB again. But once again… he comes out smelling not like the turd that he is, but a rose …..

• RN SPORTS #6

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:37 PM EDT

I just think it’s time to wish Sampson the best of luck and move on. We have a new coach and perhaps Sampson can make a difference in the NBA.

• Adam #7

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:44 PM EDT

And how many times have you spoken to or been around Coach Sampson to be able to confidently say he’s a terd or a SOB? I understand your frustration with what has happened with the phone calls and imminent sanctions, but I really don’t think you on anyone else need to call him out like that.

If all he did was make too many calls or participate in the 3-way calls, then does that make him a SOB? Yes, he apparently broke the rules, but I feel like you and everyone else that wants to say how awful and terrible of a person Coach Sampson is don’t really know him. Meanwhile, there’s a man in Indianapolis who shot a pregnant bank-teller and killer her unborn twins.

Again, I don’t disagree with your frustration and disappointment in Coach Sampson, but I think some people are taking this bashing of him way too far.

• Hoosier Fan #8

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 4:22 PM EDT

Adam, of course people take the bashing way too far. We live in an age where we just absolutely destroy anybody who messes up. It’s really pathetic.

• bhss73 #9

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:24 PM EDT

Adam–

While I respect your opinion, the fact of the matter is that the other shoe aka the team’s grades, which WERE below the standard, is about the fall. That will result in ANOTHER loss of a scholarship. At what point do we begin to blame Sampson for this? How can I forget the cell phone issue? He said that he wouldnt break the rules when he came for OSU and yet went right about breaking the rules. He has cost IU years in credibilty. Just wait until IU goes to the U of I…..I can hear the chants now….. But for reasons best known to you, you are always defending Sampson. I cant and I wont.

• Hoosier Fan #10

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:19 PM EDT

Indiana University lost any credit it had in the morality/ethical department when it employed Bob Knight for decades.

• Hoosier Fan #11

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:39 PM EDT

Isn’t Craig Neal from Washington not Muncie?

• FKIM #12

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:25 PM EDT

Craig Neal graduated from Washington in 1983…he and Tom Bouchie led a very fine Hatchet team to the final game of the semi-state where they lost to Princeton on a last-second shot. WHS didn’t win another sectional until Luke Zeller’s team in 2005. I have no idea how he got tied to Muncie…that’s just bad information.

• jojo #13

Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:34 PM EDT

it just seems wrong that he cheats gets 750 k and a new job when people cant watch a game on tv for
    free. go big ten. go ncaa. go myles brand and go kelven sampson – don’t look back…please

• Ashley #14

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 - 5:11 AM EDT

The Milwaukee Bucks , as a professional team of NBA, is one of the major teams that has fans all around the world. It is quite normal if Milwaukee Bucks tickets are so pricy or hard to find because such great teams tickets worth any price. It doesn’t matter if we pay a respected price for Bucks tickets because we satisfy our eagerness to watch good games and more than that when we go to watch a game it’s because we love this team and we shouldn’t be mean.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football