A quick look at scholarship numbers

[May 22 UPDATE]

I originally posted this yesterday when we were all trying to figure out Indiana’s scholarship situation for the next few years.

In my introductory note, I discussed the fact that college basketball teams are often in a constant state of change.

That point was proven today. I’ve updated the chart below to reflect the dismissal of Brandon McGee.

———

We have a request from Caleb to take a look at IU’s scholarship situation for the next few years, so let’s try to do that. This chart won’t be as handy as Peegs’ but it should do the trick.

But first, a note: Any college coach who has been around for a while knows how fluid a chart like this ends up being. Sure, when you write it down like this it seems like the players are locked in and are going to progress through their years here without any diversion.

Then, so many things get in the way. Obviously IU’s recent classes were decimated by coaching changes, but even beyond that there is almost always some sort of player movement at the end of a season.

A year and a half ago, IU had a verbal commitment from DeAndre Thomas. But it also seemingly had nowhere to put him, as it was already committed to 13 scholarships for the next season. So, naturally, I asked what IU was thinking. And though the coaches were weary of talking about the situation on the record for fear of breaking recruiting rules (ha, ha), I was basically told that they believed there would be room for Thomas. They weren’t planning on running a player off, they didn’t know of any players who were currently disgruntled and they didn’t necessarily want any of the kids to leave. They just thought it would happen because, well, that’s how it usually happens.

Sure enough, three players (Xavier Keeling, Joey Shaw and Ben Allen) left the program after the season.

The lesson here? College coaches assume there will be departures. They can’t afford to recruit as if the following scholarship chart will ever flow in any sort of orderly way. They expect chaos and try to prepare for it by having options; it’s either that or scramble to find players when somebody does transfer. And that’s no fun.

So, for what it’s worth, here’s the chart. To make it more simple to read I am just going to list players that are actually on scholarship:

2008-09 season

Seniors

• Kyle Taber

Juniors

• Devan Dumes
  • Tijan Jobe

Sophomores

• Jordan Crawford

Freshmen

• Verdell Jones
  • Tom Pritchard
  • Matt Roth
  • Nick Williams

So Indiana has used 8 of 12 available scholarships for next season, barring any changes to the roster.

2009-10 season

• Nick Williams

Freshmen

• Bobby Capobianco
  • Maurice Creek
  • Jordan Hulls
  • Derek Elston

So here you can see that IU is slated to use 11 scholarships. Unless the NCAA decides to restrict IU’s scholarship numbers due to the violations or because of further APR faltering, the Hoosiers should be able to have 13 scholarship players during this season.

2010-11 season

• Bobby Capobianco
  • Maurice Creek
  • Jordan Hulls
  • Derek Elston

Freshmen

• No commitments yet

So, if it turns out that all of the players that could stay and play for IU in three years do (which is highly, highly unlikely), the Hoosiers would be on the hook for nine of 13 available scholarships.

• Steve O says:

Doesn’t look like we’re in as bad a shape as some people thought. Looks like Crean and company really know what they’re doing… WOW! What a novel concept. Hiring a coach who know’s what he’s doing… Been a few years since we had one of those.

• Shag says:

Thanks for the listing! just what I needed to straighten out the info I was trying to maintain.

• Nate says:

I am sure Caleb will have something to say about your chart. He seems to think he knows it all.

• Chet says:

Bill Kristol is Caleb’s fact checker.

• Caleb says:

I know I rubbed some of you the wrong way yesterday and I apologize. I was having a horrible day on many fronts and I decided I wanted to release some of the frustration on a message board as pathetic as that sounds. My stance that the Hulls/Jobe signing was rediculous was based on us only having 1 scholy left after that for 08 & 09, but now I see its really only for 09. I am starting to come around to the Hulls pickup given how the scholys lay out here and the fact that I think he will be a late bloomer, but I still dont get the Jobe signing unless we knew for sure that Sutton is not coming. From everything I have read we have a lot of scholys still out to many different highly sought after recruits for 09 and 2010. To blow one of those off just sign a JUCO project doesnt seem to make a lot of sense on any fronts. We all knew it was going to be a rough first year and the Jobe signing does nothing to change that correct? So why?

Again I apologize to anyone who was offended by my questioning the rational here.

Of course I would have something to say about it, Nate, I am the one who requested it in the first place.

Thanks Chris. Great info as usual. Hopefully it helps others get their hands around the wildness that currently is the IU basketball recruiting landscape.

• alum says:

Caleb, that was very appropriate and appreciated. I think we all want the best for IU and we should leave the coaching and recruiting up to the coaches, (although we like to give our opinions!) For your information, Sutton will be going to Villanova; IU coaches knew that before they signed jobe the juco……….

• kshilldy says:

Caleb…You need to settle down about TJ…Coach would not have signed him if he did not see potential… Remember he is the coach and we are just the people who love IU basketball… TJ has ties to Btown and I’m sure with the support of Mark Adams and his girl and her family around he will thrive and show us what he has… Hang in there and just have faith we are paying Coach Crean big bucks to make the decisions we just have to pray they are the right ones and I think with TJ coming in we will all be surpirsed with what this kid has…. I have seen him at the sportsplex when he visits his girl and he has the talent he just may need an experienced coach and staff to bring it out…Thanks for the apology though…

• Steve O says:

watch the video of hulls at insidethehall.com if you havent had a chance to see him play. he looks absolutely filthy. there are a couple behind the back and over the head passes he makes that are pretty amazing. and it looks like he can really stroke it from 3… it awesome that finally have a guy who will look to pass first, shoot second, and make things happen. maybe going forward we actually might be able to run an offense. no more of sampson’s dribble, drive, turnover style of play. thank god!!!!

• Caleb says:

As far as the classes go, I think there are some good solid guys in the 08 class to start building a foundation around. I think, however, that most of these guys are going to end up being reserves and backups minus maybe Williams and Jones by the time they are Juniors. There are some real potential stars in that 09 class so far and I think that is a better gauge of the type of player Crean will be able to consistently get going forward in 2010, 2011 and beyond. As Chris mentioned last night Crean was holding campus visits from some elite 2010 and 2011 prospects and I think that level of player will be more of what Crean will be seeking in the future. Gillespie is trying hard to make in-roads into the Indiana high school and AAU scene, so there are going to be some classic recruiting battles again between IU and UK.

At this rate, Indiana Elite and Spiece will be breeding grounds for future IU kids for years to come.

• Mike P says:

Caleb – I will extend my apology for my remark pertaining to you.

• Ann T says:

I am sure coach Crean knows what he is doing. As for me, I think it will be fun to have players around long enough to learn there names, and watch them develope individually and as a team, while winning the right way.

• Coach L. says:

• bhss73 says:

Life is full of choices. Going to class is one of them. Being dismissed from the University is a consequence. Let them allow someone who wants to be at IU on a scholarship come to IU.

• Scott says:

We will have another scholly open soon as Crawford will be exiting very soon.

• Student says:

Beware Daniel Moore is probably the best walk on in the country coming in. He was offered a scholarship at Boston college.

• HC says:

Crawford will be going as well, I just wonder when the official word is coming down.

• Andrew says:

If Crawford leaves we are screwed. I hope he is not going.

• scott says:

I will bet you crawford leaves as well, there is no one left. I am concerned about Rivers. A player who will only play for two years all while tying a scholarship for another year. Better yet use it on an 09. Atleast then you are investing in the future with someone worth while. This could be a drastic mistake if he gets a scholarship.

• Coach L. says:

IU is demanding that teen agers behave like adults, but IU is offering them no guidance. This became patently clear when Sampson was hired. Now, by dismissing these students, IU does not look good, but rather impotent.

• ww says:

Chris, I am not a big recruiting follower, but that chart puts things into perspective for a novice. Thanks.

Folks…….why is Jordan a goner? I assume grades like the rest, but do not want to be an ASSumer. Why is he still around if he is like the rest?

• danfromva says:

Coach L states that “IU has failed in educating these students, and is now taking the easy way out dismissing them. A student thst fails is in great part the university’s failure.”

I have been in higher education for 34 years, and it has been my pleasure on many occasions to have athletes as students. It has also been my displeasure on some occasions to have athletes as students. Most scholarship athletes take advantage of the benefits of their scholarships, using tutors, study hall, etc. to maintain good grades and to acquire a quality education. Some, unfortunately, have a sense of entitlement and expect to be given a degree based on their athletic skills. It appears that Sampson recuited the latter type, allowing them to “coast” on their athletic ability. It also appears that Crean has put a stop to this. This is in NO way the University’s failure. It is immaturity and selfishness on the part of the alleged students.

• HuskyTom says:

Did anyone happen to see that Espn.com gave Crean’s class an honorable mention? Only OSU, MSU, and Minnesota (barely) were rated above IU for 2008. I know they are only trivial numbers, but it is nice to know that losing Ebanks and Holloway didn’t take us off the face of the earth.

We should all band together and get the message out to Crawford that we want him to stay. He is a great scorer, and may average 20 + if he sticks around. I watched the team play pickup last summer at the HPER, and Crawford was matching Gordon basket for basket. Also, unlike Gordon, he could make shots under pressure.

• B in MD says:

Yup danfromva, this happens everywhere. Just to share a quick story. I played at the D2 level and I remember my sophomore year we had this kid transferring in from JUCO that our coach was raving about all summer. He was going to change our season!

When school started we began preseason work about two weeks into the first semester, so the new guys could get acclimated the first 2 weeks.

Well, that second week when we started practicing and I met the new JUCO kid I couldn’t help but think I had heard his name before but I didn’t recognize him. So, after practice I go up and ask him his major and end up figuring out that I had heard his name, but hadn’t ever seen him before, because he was in my accounting class and I had heard the professor call his name out for two weeks, but he had never attended the class. He thought it was hilarious.

Long story short, our senior year he became ineligible and last I heard he was delivering pizza and still hanging out at college parties, and I graduated about 6 years ago.

• Steve O says:

Hey, Coach L., last I checked IU was not a preschool. These kids have ALL the resources they could ever want available to them, and if they don’t take advantage, it’s their own fault. How is IU not offering any guidance?? Please explain…

If these guys go to class and do their work, they will be eligable. Unfortunately alot of these guys decided not to… When I was at IU a I had 3 or 4 friends dismissed from school their 1st year because of academics… I didn’t hear any outrage then! You can put some blame on the coaches, maybe, but when it’s just pure laziness like not going to class and such, the students assume most of the responsibility. Get a grip man!

• Eric says:

Coach L,

I agree with you that guidance is something students have a right to expect from their college or university. But, I disagree that a student’s failure is in majority the university’s fault. If this were true, all students in the general student body who ‘flunk out,’ to use the old term, could blame their academic deficiencies on the school. Surely you cannot believe this to be the case? If someone drinks beer all the time, skips class frequently and achieves a 1.4 GPA, this is the school’s fault? I can’t see that logic.

I understand that athletes have resources available to them that the rest of the student body does not (tutors, etc.). But that only shifts more of the blame to the student-athlete, if they’re given more to work with and still come up short. The beer-drinking, class-skipping student has less university support and therefore less culpability. Still, going to class and making good enough grades to stay in school is primarily the student’s responsibility.

To blame student failure on the university,as you seem to be doing, seems to me to encourage a lack of accountability in the students, which is no way to prepare them for life.

Comments are closed.

WIll Indiana make the NCAA Tournament?

IU vs Penn State men's basketball

• vesuvius13:

Higgi, I am excited about the defense in 2016 based on the new DC and [...]

• MikeC:

Chet, very astute of you on the comment about the Moren critics, could [...]

• vesuvius13:

Her critics didn't look at her past coaching to know she is a good coa [...]

• Chet:

Coach Moren appears to be doing a great job. The Hoosiers show improv [...]

• Higgi:

Haven't been this excited about the direction of the IU Defense for a [...]

• vesuvius13:

Po, too many think IU isn't a very good team because they can't see pa [...]

• Chet:

Nobody really wants to be the next Johnny Manziel. [...]

Find Kentucky basketball coverage on VaughtsViews.com - Find Notre Dame football coverage on NDInsider.com. © Hoosier Times Inc., all rights reserved.