Brandon McGee dismissed from IU basketball team

Jubilation.

[3:45 UPDATE]

I spoke with Brandon McGee earlier. Apparently, he was dismissed earlier today. He’s still surprised by what happened and said he needs to take some time to think about the situation.

—–

News breaking now. More to come.

Here’s the press release from Indiana.

——-

Indiana Men’s Basketball Coach Tom Crean announced today that freshman Brandon McGee (Chicago/Crane HS) has been dismissed from the program for academic and team guideline negligence.

“Our coaching and support staff tried to make this work out, but we felt that there were some basic standard operating procedures that were not being met,” said Crean. “I feel badly for his family and Coach (Anthony) Longstreet (Crane Head Coach) who were helping us to try and make this work, but in the end it just was not possible to continue in the current direction.”

He played in just 17 games and averaged 1.5 points and 1.0 rebounds.

• Steve O says:

Wow, this sucks. Thought McGee had some potential. I guess we’ll never know. It’s a shame that the thing he’ll be remembered most for is his missed 360 dunk. Lol. We could really use Negedu now…

• glk81 says:

Is the “more to come” in reference to Jordan Crawford?

• McGee #24 says:

Coech, gid me anodder chanse!

i wil emproff my graeds!

• Josh S says:

Good grief. Does he plan to hold open tryouts top fill the team for next year?

• Take Responsibility says:

Josh S, we don’t care how he fills the team, but rather that it is filled with individuals that want to put on the candy stripes, work hard, go to class, and be good citizens.

• Caleb says:

I think we all saw this coming. Crawford is the main piece here. If we lose him as well then I think we subtract about 3 or 4 more wins from the total next year.

I think its a positive that he was not mentioned in this article as being a problem. I think he is safe. He and Tabor will be our leaders next year. I bet Crean turns him into a really good palyer if he stays at least 3 years.

• Glenn says:

Brandon can bounce a ball and, because of it, he was handed the opportunity to acquire a top notch education for free.

How kids can continue to just throw that away is outside my capacity to understand.

• Stacey says:

Once again….I have to applaud Coach Crean! If these young men are going to come to this school, at a minimum, they have to meet & exceed academic expectations and the team expectations. Who cares if they have a down season if the pride is restored in IU basketball and we are building a new future? I don’t. My son attends IU and knows Jordan Crawford personally. He told me that Jordan is a very cool guy who has really tried very hard to make his grades! I hope so for his sake!

• Kenny_G says:

i miss coach davis.

• Eric says:

Surely the availability of immediate playing time will help convince Negedu to come to IU. With McGee gone, we’ve only got 8 scholarship players. If you want to play right away, come to Indiana!

This is unfortunate, but I agree with Stacey, if he wasn’t willing to do what was expected of him, he had to go. Good job coach Crean!

• Ann T says:

I guess the University of Detroit has just picked up another player

• Student says:

For all the wondered he had a has a high Star rating than Jordan Hulls yet he is not that good of a player.

I think Crawford will stay. If i were him i would stay i mean him and taber are going to be team captains hes likely going to be our go to scorer. He should fit in well with Crean’s offense.

• nealE says:

This sucks. Brandon was my favorite player. I thought he was going to be really good one day. But hey, if you don’t go to class, then this is what is going to happen. And that’s a good thing. A great thing. But I’m still a little bummed.

• MARK82 says:

If he goes to Detroit Mercy, can we call it Indiana University, Detroit Campus?!?

• Rodney says:

Ok, Kenny_G and “I miss coach Davis” move to Alabama and watch watch that train wreck. Give me a break. Again Coach, I have no doubts you are doing the “Right Thing”. Something that has long been absent from IU, not only in Basketball, but as a school as a whole. The basketball team just gets more national attention.

• B in MD says:

Playing time will be appealing to Negedu, but at the same time it is not appealing to join a team that has a slim chance of going .500 and an even slimmer chance of playing any type of basketball in March.

Not trying to be negative, but it’s true.

• Nate says:

Who the hell is Brandon McGee?

Just kidding, we’ll miss his 1.5 ppg.

Maybe he can find another coach like KS who doesn’t care about grades and give hime another shot. If not, see you at the Mickey D’s drive thru Brandon.

• Nate says:

Does that mean we have another scholly for someone who WANTS to be a Hoosier?

• BA says:

Wow this is a surprise. I thought we were through all of the problems with Kelvin’s kids. I guess not though. Hopefully Crawford is one that we don’t have to worry about.

• Nate says:

I don’t think we will be as bad as a lot of you think. Intelligent ball players with average ability that play as a team can often beat teams that no one thinks they should. For example, most of the teams Bob Knight had at Texas Tech and some that he had here. Look at what Butler has been able to do the past couple of years, no superstars there. Smart kids that are decent players and love to play, that is what Coach
    Crean is building here and I for one think it will work. I think McGee was the last of the garbage that needed to be taken out, things should only get better from this point on.

• Sam says:

THOSE IN A PANIC YESTERDAY OVER SCHOLARSHIP AVAILABILITY CAN RELAX A LITTLE NOW.

• Alan says:

Nate,

Do you really need to characterize someone as “garbage”?

• 1977 Alumni says:

I would like to hear a little about what attempts were made to improve some of these basketball players grades ie tutors, remedial classes to bring them up to college academic levels etc. Coach Crean has not been here even a semester and numerous coaches and athletes have been given their walking papers. I recall reading that he has a reputation of been tough on assistants & having a high turnover rate. Is he also reputed to be tough on kids? What is his players transfer rate? What is his graduation rate at previous colleges? Why is Brandon suprised? Was he on academic probation because of grades from fall 2007 semester and did not raise his grades spring 2008? If he was on academic probation and did not raise his grades, then he should not have been suprised to be dismissed. Too many questions and not enough answers about the coach and this player suit this alumni!!

• B in MD says:

Nate –

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but get real. This team is bringing back TWO players that have ever stepped foot on a court together in a real game.

I’m not complaining, I like that Crean is cleaning house and rebuilding, but the IU fans that are expecting this team to win a lot of games next year are nuts.

Not only will it take a lot of time to build chemistry, but the team will have 1 senior and no juniors. That’s not a winning formula, this will take time.

• DCDAVE says:

In regards to RMK winning with players of average ability………….

In a short time Crean has done a great job recruiting. Long term, however, we need to get the 4 and 5 star players. Those players do not guarentee success but they do greatly enhance the odds. It is “urban legend” that RMK won with average players. He did not.
    To his credit he did well when he had good teams (not all coaches are able to do so). On another site I read how his last great team (’92-’93) was molded with Henderson and a group of average high school players. A few minutes of research revealed the following about that roster of “average” high school players:
    Pat Graham – McDonalds All American ,’89 Mr Basketball, ranked 12th in US.
    Greg Graham – McDonalds All American, ranked 60th in US.
    Damon Baily – McDonalds All American, ’90 Mr Basketball, EA National HS BBall Player of Year!
    Alan Henderson – McDonalds All American, ranked 6th in the US.
    Chris Reynolds – ranked 48th in the US
    Calbert Cheaney – ranked 58th in US (one site had him as high as 40th in the US. People are very mistaken when they repeat the “Calbert was not considered a top talent” urban legend. He was in fact very highly rated.)
    Matt Nover – Indiana All Star team.
    Brain Evans (great in college but did not find HS ranking)
    Would have been seniors but transferred – #7 Funderburke, #44 Chris Lawson
    We are currently excited about getting a top 90-150 player. We would self implode if we got recruits anywhere remotely close to the ones above 🙂
    Also———the ’81 championshp team had 2 Indiana Mr Basketballs and 3 McDonalds All Americans. The ’87 team had 2 McDonalds All Americans (someone the other day stated Daryl Thomas was an unknown gem when in fact he was a McDonalds All American) and a Mr Indiana (Alford) and a Mr Illinois (Sloan).

We are off to a great start but I want to put some facts in front of those that “remember” IU winning with teams comprised of hard working 2 and 3 star players.
    The fact is………we had talent.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• RAM:

Good luck Troy. If you can learn that every play you make does not hav [...]

• Hoosier Hopeful:

A real opportunity for James to show leadership. He can do that by gr [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

Horace Grant ...Rodman...BJ Armstrong...Luc Longley....John Paxon...To [...]

• vesuvius13:

The late start time in the season opener will benefit IUFB. The heat [...]

• Ben_M:

I don't usually think a kid should stay in school if he has his best c [...]

• t:

Other than my thoughts GOOD LUCK, Troy! [...]

• t:

Unfortunately, uncle Boo doesn't know much what he is talking about. [...]