Hoosier Baseball Sweeps Into Postseason

Indiana’s baseball team capped a four-game sweep of Michigan State on Saturday with a 14-5 victory, guaranteeing the Hoosiers (28-28, 15-17) a spot in the Big Ten Tournament field, which only includes the top six finishers in the conference.

The team has not played in the conference tournament since 2003 and has not swept a league opponent since 1999.

Josh Phegley put an exclamation point on his already gaudy regular season production with four hits, four runs scored, three RBIs, a double, and a home run. Jerrud Sabourin and Evan Crawford both knocked in three as well, and leadoff man Andrew Means scored three times.

After getting spotted a 5-0 lead in the top of the first, junior pitcher Tyler Tufts proceeded to pitch a gem, going eight innings and giving up just one run.

Phegley finished the season as the Big Ten’s leader in batting average (.436) and RBIs (71). His 45 RBIs in conference play also broke a 12-year old league record.

Sixth-seed Indiana will play No. 3 Penn State at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. The event will be held at Michigan’s Ray Fisher Stadium in Ann Arbor for the third straight season. Here’s the schedule.

• Sheila #1

Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:41 PM EDT

Congrats to the baseball team. I watched a couple of games on the Big Ten network late in the season. Just wish I had started watching earlier. I would have gone to the home games. The team plays with a lot of heart; offensive firepower is impression. Good luck in the Big Ten Tournament (I’ll be watching the games on the Big Ten network – presuming they will be televised). GO HOOSIERS!

• j a c k #2

Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:42 PM EDT

Congrats to the IU Baseball Team for playing great baseball when it counted most. I posted on the IDS blog prior to the home stretch with PS, PU, MICH, ect. I felt the pitching staff would turn things around. I am stoked that my hunch proved to be true on the field.

Go IU Baseball, there’s folks paying attention to your accomplishments.

j a c k

• ww #3

Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:04 AM EDT

Congrats to team and staff. I caught the last home game with Butler and it was treat to see the Hoosiers explode on offense.

• Brian #4

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:43 AM EDT

I’ll be going to the game! Go Indiana!

• IU Jimmy #5

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:26 PM EDT

Go Hoosiers!

• Jack #6

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:56 AM EDT

The IU coaching staff has IU baseball headed in the right direction. Not only do they have a legit chance in the Big 10 tourney this year, they will definitely be one of the favorites next year with most of the team coming back and a solid recruiting class coming in!

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football