Philly Daily News says Sutton to ‘Nova

[6:10 UPDATE]

It’s official. Maurice Sutton is headed to Villanova.

“I’m going to be a Villanova Wildcat next year,” Sutton said at his press conference this afternoon. “It was a great opportunity. I came there, they really grew on me. Coach Jay Wright really impressed me, he really made an amazing impression on me. I love him as a coach and I felt like it was a great family atmosphere for me. I felt like that is what God wanted me to do.”

Sutton said he liked Villanova’s style of play. The Wildcats run with the best of the Big East which is, unlike the Big Ten, a conference where up-tempo basketball is the norm.

——–

I haven’t gotten any confirmation from Maurice Sutton’s press conference, but there are more and more reports coming out that he’s headed to Villanova.

Including this one.

• tyler #1

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 3:34 PM EDT

no biggy.
    we can save that scholarship for negredu(sp?)

• Tim #2

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:11 PM EDT

agreed. With Sutton’s frame, he’s an ideal candidate to be redshirted. Nova can afford that, we need an immediate impact post player.

• John #3

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:22 PM EDT

Chris is there a reason you have not yet received confirmation? You guys are always on top of things very quickly so this leads me to believe it may not be over yet…

• ZachRoyse #4

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:23 PM EDT

Negedu, SVT and a wing are what we need for success over the next two-three years.

• Chris #5

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:42 PM EDT

John,

It’s over. We obviously didn’t send a reporter to the event and, as is usually the case, Sutton and his people are obliging the media from the school he’ll attend rather than the two he turned down.

Chris

• HiggiStardust #6

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:44 PM EDT

Que sera sera…

• Ian #7

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:25 PM EDT

Chris, when they mean that today is the last day for signing, does that include all 2008 players? I only say this because I was wondering if Negedu is supposed to sign tonight.

• Caleb #8

Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 7:55 AM EDT

Really hope we can get Negedu now. He could help our frontline a lot given we are going forward currently with Jobe/Tabor/Pritchard for the 4 and 5. We are definitely going to be seeing a lot of SF playing PF this year and going small while hoping the Big Three can stay out of foul trouble.

I will tell you, though, the IU Nation and the fans at Assembly are going to be behind this group of players like nothing you have seen since the Coverdale/JJ/Fife led team. Crean is going to be in awe that first night at the Midnight Madness.

On a side note, Chris, Garibay is still out there from Cali. Any thought on us offering him?

What about Shawn Kemp JR for 2009? That kid has DJ White written all over him and I have seen some quotes from him saying he thought IU would offer soon.

• Sam #9

Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:19 AM EDT

I think Negedu is the only option left for 2008. If he doesn’t show up Crean will pocket the scholarship and use it for 2009.

• Eric #10

Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:33 AM EDT

Shawn Kemp Jr.??? Aren’t there about a dozen of those roaming the courts of NBA cities coast to coast??? Will Jr. be a one-and-done? He can’t go straight to the NBA like his dad, but he might come as close as possible.

• Caleb #11

Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:06 AM EDT

HAHAHA Eric nice one. He is a five-star prospect and I think he is ranked the #4 center and the #25 prospect nationally in 09. I would bet it would be good for his future to have a Coach like Crean handle him for a couple years given his father’s past. Not that that means he would follow that path. Look up his picture. Its like looking at his dad at that age. He is already pretty strong as well.

• Zach #12

Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:43 AM EDT

I’m lodging a complaint with the guy upstairs…

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football