Crawford spotting

13 comments by   |   Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:03 pm EDT

With Chris and Doug unavailable, I’ll be heading up the blog this afternoon. Please, be gentle.

The Detroit Free-Press is reporting Jordan Crawford has been seen recently playing pickup ball in Detroit Mercy’s gym. The athletics director is not denying the report, only stressing the openness of the open gym.

This should come as no great shock, since even a guy who has spent a week in Indiana knows of Crawford’s connection to Ray McCallum, the former IU assistant turned Detroit Mercy coach. Still, there is usually a cooling-off period where the prospective transfer student lays low and tries not to make headlines with his whereabouts. It is also entirely possible that Crawford is just playing an innocent game of basketball with some friends.

Related content: Read more in Just sayin', Men's Basketball

Indiana quantifies full value of an athletics scholarship
Big Ten recommends enhanced benefits to student-athletes
Live chat transcript
Live chat reminder
Indiana University Men's Basetball team pays a visit to the IU Health Children's Therapy Center
Steve O
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:21 PM EDT

Ray McCallum has probably been coaxing Crawford to leave Indiana since he took off. Maybe the NCAA should check his phone records. Oh well. Completely clean slate now.

#2 Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:28 PM EDT

Since Crawford is from Detroit, it is logical that he would play a pick-up game at Detroit Mercy or nearby Michigan. Doubt McCallum would have been calling him as that is illegal until a student-athlete is released. I’m sure the NCAA will look into anyway, without any coaxing from IU folks.

Josh
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:29 PM EDT

Surprise, surprise!

DD
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:45 PM EDT

Welcome, Hugh! You have some big shoes to fill after Zak did an admirable job as the Scoop-tern last year. I’m sure you’ll do great. Don’t let the idiots who post comments here (myself included) get you down.

#5 Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:15 PM EDT

Thanks, DD.

My main responsibility here at the H-T will be high schools, but I’ll be lending a hand with IU when possible.

Sam
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:18 PM EDT

No shocker here. I wanted Crawford to stay but if his heart isn’t in it I’m glad he is leaving now instead of halfway through the season.

Keep in mind the culture he played in last season. The me first attitudes he played with. And he wasn’t exactly an angel. He had his own issues that resulted in a suspension.

I think most of us lost respect for McCallum based on the Holman fiasco. If Crawford end up in Detroit I won’t be surprised. Either way, McCallum has burned his bridges in the state of Indiana. Good luck in Detroit, Ray.

#7 Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:55 PM EDT

From Indiana to Detroit Mercy? Hardly a step up, Jordan. Good luck.

I’m sad to see Indiana lose another scholarship player but not this knucklehead. The guy was a turnover machine and seemed to carry the me-first attitude he played with on the court off of it, as evidenced by his suspension.

BA
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 5:21 PM EDT

Like I said yesterday I figured he would be there, that was the one thing I was worried about when Crean said he was back home, was him being too close to that program. I figured as much that he will end up there but who can really blame him if it’s close to home and he’s comfortable with the people there. One thing I don’t understand is everyone making the comment that Sampson’s kids are gone, don’t forget that we still have two of his recruits coming in this year.

Aaron
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 7:34 PM EDT

IF, and it’s a big if, evidence is ever found of tampering by Ray Mc. I hope the NCAA lowers the boom on him.

#10 Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:29 PM EDT

we all felt sorry for Ray when he didn’t get the interim position, we wished him luck at his new position, and excused the Eli thing as well if Eli is happy then ok, but Ray will forever have the stink of KS on him and the god less city of Detroit won’t care a bit. Good luck you orange haired devil.

Caleb
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:51 PM EDT

I called it first!! I said this was going to happen right after he decommitted.

Would not surprise me in the least. Dont forget, however, that McCallum still has to coach. He can coax all the recruits he wants, but that doesnt get Ws if you cant coach. Not a great trackrecord.

If nothing else we can see Butler actually have some competition for once in the Horizon.

Jason
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:33 PM EDT

Someone please remove Ray Jr from Bloomingtons Elite team. The Macs are no longer welcome in Btown.

bhss73
Friday, June 13, 2008 - 10:32 AM EDT

I heard once that more black kids graduate with medical degree’s and become brain surgeons each year than get drafted in the NBA.

You have to wonder where in 10 yr the class of 07-08 will be .

Comments

• M. Soccer. Hoosiers Rally for 3-1 Win over No. 8 Saint Louis - After giving up a goal in the first 14 seconds, IU stormed back for three unanswered scores in a 3-1 win over No. 8 Saint Louis Wednesday
  • Baseball. IU Baseball Hosts 20-Plus MLB Scouts - Scouts from more than 20 Major League Baseball teams were present Wednesday afternoon for Indiana's Pro Scout Day at Bart Kaufman
  • North Texas week: Rashard Fant Q&A - The Indiana football team will try to bounce this week against North Texas at home after suffering a
  • Cowboys land Jawun that they want - The pool of elite class of 2015 point guards was shallow, but Oklahoma State got a good one as Jawun Evans picked the
  • Big Ten informs NCAA of recommended reforms; IU announces quantification of scholarships -

The Big Ten Conference announced on Wednesday afternoon it has informed the NCAA of several reformations to student-athlete benefits it wishes to enact, similar to those in the

• Roundup: Former Hoosiers start NBA training camp -

Opening night of the NBA season is less than a month away and training camps have opened across the league this week along with media day events taking place. Here’s a

• WATCH: Canada Highlights of Ferrell, Davis - Indiana completed its foreign trip to Canada in August. Watch highlights of Yogi Ferrell and Devin Davis
  • NBA Daily Cheat Sheet: September 30 - Everything you need to know about the New Orleans
  • THE HATER'S TRAVEL GUIDE: NORTH TEXAS