Crawford spotting

13 comments by   |   Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:03 pm EDT

With Chris and Doug unavailable, I’ll be heading up the blog this afternoon. Please, be gentle.

The Detroit Free-Press is reporting Jordan Crawford has been seen recently playing pickup ball in Detroit Mercy’s gym. The athletics director is not denying the report, only stressing the openness of the open gym.

This should come as no great shock, since even a guy who has spent a week in Indiana knows of Crawford’s connection to Ray McCallum, the former IU assistant turned Detroit Mercy coach. Still, there is usually a cooling-off period where the prospective transfer student lays low and tries not to make headlines with his whereabouts. It is also entirely possible that Crawford is just playing an innocent game of basketball with some friends.

Related content: Read more in Just sayin', Men's Basketball

Live Chat Transcript
Live Chat, 11 a.m.
Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Steve O
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:21 PM EDT

Ray McCallum has probably been coaxing Crawford to leave Indiana since he took off. Maybe the NCAA should check his phone records. Oh well. Completely clean slate now.

#2 Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:28 PM EDT

Since Crawford is from Detroit, it is logical that he would play a pick-up game at Detroit Mercy or nearby Michigan. Doubt McCallum would have been calling him as that is illegal until a student-athlete is released. I’m sure the NCAA will look into anyway, without any coaxing from IU folks.

Josh
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:29 PM EDT

Surprise, surprise!

DD
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:45 PM EDT

Welcome, Hugh! You have some big shoes to fill after Zak did an admirable job as the Scoop-tern last year. I’m sure you’ll do great. Don’t let the idiots who post comments here (myself included) get you down.

#5 Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:15 PM EDT

Thanks, DD.

My main responsibility here at the H-T will be high schools, but I’ll be lending a hand with IU when possible.

Sam
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:18 PM EDT

No shocker here. I wanted Crawford to stay but if his heart isn’t in it I’m glad he is leaving now instead of halfway through the season.

Keep in mind the culture he played in last season. The me first attitudes he played with. And he wasn’t exactly an angel. He had his own issues that resulted in a suspension.

I think most of us lost respect for McCallum based on the Holman fiasco. If Crawford end up in Detroit I won’t be surprised. Either way, McCallum has burned his bridges in the state of Indiana. Good luck in Detroit, Ray.

#7 Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:55 PM EDT

From Indiana to Detroit Mercy? Hardly a step up, Jordan. Good luck.

I’m sad to see Indiana lose another scholarship player but not this knucklehead. The guy was a turnover machine and seemed to carry the me-first attitude he played with on the court off of it, as evidenced by his suspension.

BA
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 5:21 PM EDT

Like I said yesterday I figured he would be there, that was the one thing I was worried about when Crean said he was back home, was him being too close to that program. I figured as much that he will end up there but who can really blame him if it’s close to home and he’s comfortable with the people there. One thing I don’t understand is everyone making the comment that Sampson’s kids are gone, don’t forget that we still have two of his recruits coming in this year.

Aaron
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 7:34 PM EDT

IF, and it’s a big if, evidence is ever found of tampering by Ray Mc. I hope the NCAA lowers the boom on him.

#10 Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:29 PM EDT

we all felt sorry for Ray when he didn’t get the interim position, we wished him luck at his new position, and excused the Eli thing as well if Eli is happy then ok, but Ray will forever have the stink of KS on him and the god less city of Detroit won’t care a bit. Good luck you orange haired devil.

Caleb
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:51 PM EDT

I called it first!! I said this was going to happen right after he decommitted.

Would not surprise me in the least. Dont forget, however, that McCallum still has to coach. He can coax all the recruits he wants, but that doesnt get Ws if you cant coach. Not a great trackrecord.

If nothing else we can see Butler actually have some competition for once in the Horizon.

Jason
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:33 PM EDT

Someone please remove Ray Jr from Bloomingtons Elite team. The Macs are no longer welcome in Btown.

bhss73
Friday, June 13, 2008 - 10:32 AM EDT

I heard once that more black kids graduate with medical degree’s and become brain surgeons each year than get drafted in the NBA.

You have to wonder where in 10 yr the class of 07-08 will be .

Comments

• Varsity Club. On the Road with the Hoosiers: Chicago - Indiana's On the Road with the Hoosiers continued on Monday, July 28, with a visit to Joe's Bar in Chicago. The fan celebration, which included more than 300 Hoosiers, featured IU
  • Football. #IUFBinCHI: Day Two Notebook - Indiana wrapped up its 2014 Big Ten Media Day obligations Tuesday afternoon in Chicago. With preseason camp less than a week away, the excitement for the 2014 season is
  • Defensive optimism abounds in Chicago - Can a combination of more experience and a change to a 3-4 scheme under new coordinator Brian Knorr
  • Stock Report: Several raised stock in July - Washington commit Jermaine Haley was one of several 2015 and 2016 prospects that saw their stock rise after a productive
  • Video: Thon Maker adidas Super64 highlights -

In Sunday’s showcase game of the adidas Super64, 7-footer Thon Maker of Team Loaded (Va.) put on a show in his team’s 73-70 overtime loss to Game Elite (Ga.) with

• Photo Gallery: Indiana vs. Purdue alumni game -

Behind a late scoring barrage from Christian Watford and Jordan Hulls, Indiana surged to defeat Purdue, 116-113 in the second annual alumni game between the schools at IUPUI on

• What We Learned: July Evaluation Period - The July Evaluation period is now over. The Indiana coaching staff was busy all month. Here's five things we learned from the exhausting
  • IU targets make USA U17 team - Several Indiana recruiting targets made the cut for team USA under-17
  • Kevin Wilson Big Ten Media Day Transcript