Crean leaves for Seattle this morning

9 comments by   |   Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:02 am EDT

Tom Crean is in the Indianapolis Airport waiting for a flight to Seattle this morning. He said he’ll be at IU’s table at the meeting with the NCAA Committee on Infractions hearing on Friday, but he isn’t sure what his role will be.

“That’s what I’m trying to figure out,” he said.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
Kenny_G
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:25 AM EDT

DON’T LET HIM SPEAK! If he has the same effect on the committee that he’s had on players, they’ll walk out of the room and give IU the death penalty.

DD
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:36 AM EDT

Um… what?

RGH
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:49 AM EDT

Or one of the investigators will start to throw potted plants! :)

Caleb
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:06 AM EDT

Was that sarcasm Kenny? I encourage you to read my post on the “In the dark” story.

Hoping that was sarcasm….

Steve O
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:23 AM EDT

I don’t get how some people are so anti-Crean. He hasn’t done anything except get rid of the garbage and recruited a top 30 class.

IU Jimmy
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:26 AM EDT

I see Kenny G is as insightful as usual.

Old Hoosier Fan
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:09 PM EDT

Yeah, like Coach Crean got IU in this mess. I think he is trying to support IU through the Sampson mess. That would be the Sampson that screwed IU out of $750K and now has a NBA assistant job. Now that is the way I would like to be treated for breaking the rules!

ChronicHoosier
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:20 PM EDT

Unfortunately, Crean will be the only man of integrity sitting across from the committee. I think his job will simply be to demonstrate that not all in our athletics dept. will sacrifice anything and everything for wins. What are the chances that Greenspan and Co. are sent packing if the penalties are greater than those already self-imposed? Are we more likely to see added penalties by virtue of the fact that our athletics administration hasn’t suffered the same exodus (forced and/or voluntary) as our basketball team?

ww
Friday, June 13, 2008 - 7:17 AM EDT

Forgive me if this has already been said (typed)… but I wonder if the mass exit of Sampson players is a benefit to the IU program when all is said and done in Seattle?

i.e. is this related to Creans role? Will he simply say….hey! I got rid of all of them and we are starting clean. (no pun intended) I read this morning that CTC will testify to the state of health of the program. I gotta believe that the health is related to the number of Sampson-gaters still around the program. Not counting the walk-ons, there are zip, nada, none. Will the NCAA’s then say……….well, um, ah……OK.

Just a thought that hit me this morn. Hope I am not repeating previous posts. I have not been reading lately, as I was taking the summer off from IU hoops.

Comments

• Track. Kinnaird Set for World Junior Championships - Kinnaird won the USA Junior Championship in the 800m run and competes Friday at the World Junior
  • M. Basketball. Paying a Visit to Camp Riley - Photo Gallery | Seven members of the men's basketball team joined over 100 IU student-athletes to visit Camp
  • Hoosier Newsstand, July 24 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • Stalker makes Virginia pledge in-person - When West Chester (Ohio) Lakota West linebacker C.J. Stalker decided he was ready to commit to Virginia he made the six-hour drive to
  • Four-star guard Jimmy Whitt hearing from Indiana “a lot” -

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Class of 2015 Columbia (Mo.) guard Jimmy Whitt has been one of the biggest risers in the national rankings thanks to his play this summer. The 6-foot-3

• Video: Tyus Battle, Thomas Bryant Peach Jam highlights -

Class of 2016 guard Tyus Battle and big man Thomas Bryant failed to advance to the Nike Peach Jam finals, as their Team Scan fell to Playaz Basketball 65-55 in Sunday’s

• Thon Maker Updates: Visits outline, and more - Thon Maker, the top-ranked player in 2016, continues to improve. His guardian spoke to AllHoosiers.com to update Maker's
  • VIDEO: Williams, Coleman, Battle and Ali - Courtesy of UM Hoops, watch highlights of four IU targets from last weekend at Peach Jam. Featured: Kenny Williams, Tyus Battle, Jalen Coleman and Prince
  • The Thursday Thinker