Crean leaves for Seattle this morning

9 comments by   |   Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:02 am EDT

Tom Crean is in the Indianapolis Airport waiting for a flight to Seattle this morning. He said he’ll be at IU’s table at the meeting with the NCAA Committee on Infractions hearing on Friday, but he isn’t sure what his role will be.

“That’s what I’m trying to figure out,” he said.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

When Max Hoetzel was a Globetrotter, albeit the tiniest one
IU makes Emmitt Holt signing official
Emmitt Holt's high school coach compares him to Draymond Green
Men's, women's basketball schedules released
Reports: Christian Watford signs with Boston Celtics
Kenny_G
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:25 AM EDT

DON’T LET HIM SPEAK! If he has the same effect on the committee that he’s had on players, they’ll walk out of the room and give IU the death penalty.

DD
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:36 AM EDT

Um… what?

RGH
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:49 AM EDT

Or one of the investigators will start to throw potted plants! :)

Caleb
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:06 AM EDT

Was that sarcasm Kenny? I encourage you to read my post on the “In the dark” story.

Hoping that was sarcasm….

Steve O
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:23 AM EDT

I don’t get how some people are so anti-Crean. He hasn’t done anything except get rid of the garbage and recruited a top 30 class.

IU Jimmy
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:26 AM EDT

I see Kenny G is as insightful as usual.

Old Hoosier Fan
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:09 PM EDT

Yeah, like Coach Crean got IU in this mess. I think he is trying to support IU through the Sampson mess. That would be the Sampson that screwed IU out of $750K and now has a NBA assistant job. Now that is the way I would like to be treated for breaking the rules!

ChronicHoosier
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:20 PM EDT

Unfortunately, Crean will be the only man of integrity sitting across from the committee. I think his job will simply be to demonstrate that not all in our athletics dept. will sacrifice anything and everything for wins. What are the chances that Greenspan and Co. are sent packing if the penalties are greater than those already self-imposed? Are we more likely to see added penalties by virtue of the fact that our athletics administration hasn’t suffered the same exodus (forced and/or voluntary) as our basketball team?

ww
Friday, June 13, 2008 - 7:17 AM EDT

Forgive me if this has already been said (typed)… but I wonder if the mass exit of Sampson players is a benefit to the IU program when all is said and done in Seattle?

i.e. is this related to Creans role? Will he simply say….hey! I got rid of all of them and we are starting clean. (no pun intended) I read this morning that CTC will testify to the state of health of the program. I gotta believe that the health is related to the number of Sampson-gaters still around the program. Not counting the walk-ons, there are zip, nada, none. Will the NCAA’s then say……….well, um, ah……OK.

Just a thought that hit me this morn. Hope I am not repeating previous posts. I have not been reading lately, as I was taking the summer off from IU hoops.

Comments

• M. Swimming. Pieroni Takes Silver at Junior Pan Pacs - Indiana University freshman swimmer Blake Pieroni took home a silver medal in the men's 200-meter freestyle on day one of the Junior Pan Pacific Championships on the island of
  • W. Volleyball. Volleyball Opens 2014 Season at UConn Classic - Hoosiers will take on Central Connecticut State, New Hampshire and tournament host
  • Oladipo declares for the NBA - Indiana junior Victor Oladipo this afternoon announced he will be going to the NBA. IU coach Tom Crean
  • Video: Victor Oladipo headed to NBA - Earlier this afternoon Indiana junior Victor Oladipo joined head coach Tom Crean at Assembly Hall to
  • Video: Matt McQuaid at Nike Global Challenge -

Class of 2015 Duncanville (Tex.) guard Matt McQuaid emerged as a recruiting target for Indiana after opting to reopen his recruitment in mid-July. McQuaid, a four-star prospect

• A final look at who’s coming and going in the Big Ten -

With the fall semester underway on many Big Ten campuses, it’s time for our final look at who’s coming and going in the Big Ten for the 2014-2015 season. Illinois (20-15,

• VIDEO: Slick Leonard introduces Tom Crean - Former Indiana star Slick Leonard introduced Tom Crean last Wednesday at Lucas Oil Stadium. Watch it
  • Indiana among final six for Nick Marshall - Nick Marshall, a 2015 big man from Tennessee, has Indiana in his final
  • B1G Foreign Tour Tracker: Wolverines take on Italy