Crean leaves for Seattle this morning

9 comments by   |   Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:02 am EDT

Tom Crean is in the Indianapolis Airport waiting for a flight to Seattle this morning. He said he’ll be at IU’s table at the meeting with the NCAA Committee on Infractions hearing on Friday, but he isn’t sure what his role will be.

“That’s what I’m trying to figure out,” he said.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
Kenny_G
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:25 AM EDT

DON’T LET HIM SPEAK! If he has the same effect on the committee that he’s had on players, they’ll walk out of the room and give IU the death penalty.

DD
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:36 AM EDT

Um… what?

RGH
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:49 AM EDT

Or one of the investigators will start to throw potted plants! :)

Caleb
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:06 AM EDT

Was that sarcasm Kenny? I encourage you to read my post on the “In the dark” story.

Hoping that was sarcasm….

Steve O
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:23 AM EDT

I don’t get how some people are so anti-Crean. He hasn’t done anything except get rid of the garbage and recruited a top 30 class.

IU Jimmy
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:26 AM EDT

I see Kenny G is as insightful as usual.

Old Hoosier Fan
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:09 PM EDT

Yeah, like Coach Crean got IU in this mess. I think he is trying to support IU through the Sampson mess. That would be the Sampson that screwed IU out of $750K and now has a NBA assistant job. Now that is the way I would like to be treated for breaking the rules!

ChronicHoosier
Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:20 PM EDT

Unfortunately, Crean will be the only man of integrity sitting across from the committee. I think his job will simply be to demonstrate that not all in our athletics dept. will sacrifice anything and everything for wins. What are the chances that Greenspan and Co. are sent packing if the penalties are greater than those already self-imposed? Are we more likely to see added penalties by virtue of the fact that our athletics administration hasn’t suffered the same exodus (forced and/or voluntary) as our basketball team?

ww
Friday, June 13, 2008 - 7:17 AM EDT

Forgive me if this has already been said (typed)… but I wonder if the mass exit of Sampson players is a benefit to the IU program when all is said and done in Seattle?

i.e. is this related to Creans role? Will he simply say….hey! I got rid of all of them and we are starting clean. (no pun intended) I read this morning that CTC will testify to the state of health of the program. I gotta believe that the health is related to the number of Sampson-gaters still around the program. Not counting the walk-ons, there are zip, nada, none. Will the NCAA’s then say……….well, um, ah……OK.

Just a thought that hit me this morn. Hope I am not repeating previous posts. I have not been reading lately, as I was taking the summer off from IU hoops.

Comments

• Track. Drouin Wins Gold at Commonwealth Games - IU alum and Olympian Derek Drouin won the Gold Medal in the high jump at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in
  • M. Basketball. Oladipo Impresses At USA Basketball Camp - Having idolized all of the star players of USA Basketball as a child, Victor Oladipo called the opportunity to contribute to Team USA this week
  • Hidden gem talks Indiana visit - Non-top 100 prospects such as Victor Oladipo and Will Sheehey show Indiana isn't afraid to
  • Recruiting Roundup: 7/30 - With August approaching, recruits are cutting their college lists and finally focusing their recruitment after a long and telling July. As
  • Class of 2015 guard Matt McQuaid will visit Indiana -

Class of 2015 Duncanville (Tex.) guard Matt McQuaid set out to show coaches he could do more than just shoot in July. Now that the three evaluation periods have come to an end,

• Rising 2015 big Nick Marshall on IU’s radar -

Andrew Hicks has only been on the job as the basketball coach at Lexington (Tenn.) high school for three months, but he already has a feel for the top player he’s

• VIDEO: IU players talk improvement - Courtesy of IU Athletics, watch and listen to Indiana players talk about offseason improvements in their
  • What We Learned: July Evaluation Period - The July Evaluation period is now over. The Indiana coaching staff was busy all month. Here's five things we learned from the exhausting
  • The Thursday Thinker