IU: Greenspan to step down at end of calendar year

Here’s the just-issued news release from IU:

RICK GREENSPAN TO STEP DOWN AT CONCLUSION OF CALENDAR YEAR

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Indiana University Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan today announced that he would step down from his position, effective the end of the calendar year.

"This has been a very difficult time and I am aware that I have become the focus of criticism which will continue to distract Indiana University from its core educational mission. Consequently, I believe a new person will be in a stronger position to lead IU Athletics moving forward and it is in IU's best interests for me to stand down. You can rest assured that I will work with great diligence and effort on behalf of our student athletes and coaches over the next six months. They deserve nothing less," said Greenspan. "Without question, I am extremely disappointed in the new charges brought by the NCAA Committee on Infractions against Indiana University that were released today. I disagree with these charges, particularly since the NCAA Enforcement staff did not reach this same conclusion after their original, in-depth investigation. Nevertheless, the new charges must and will be answered," said Greenspan.

Greenspan said that his decision will enable the university to complete a search for his successor and enable a number of matters to be brought closer to completion.

Indiana University President Michael McRobbie in accepting his decision praised Greenspan for his accomplishments as Director of Athletics.

"It is common knowledge that IU athletics had significant financial difficulties before Rick took over," McRobbie commented. "He has focused attention in the department to correcting that situation and today our athletics finances are substantially improved and IU's athletic department is now on stable ground financially.

McRobbie also praised the expansion of athletics facilities currently underway, including enclosure of the north end zone at Memorial Stadium, construction of a basketball development center for use by IU's men's and women's teams, as well as improved training and academic facilities for IU athletes.

"These are important accomplishments that were led by Rick and will benefit IU athletes and fans for years to come," McRobbie said. "I am also grateful for the leadership role Rick played in dealing with the tremendous loss of Terry Hoeppner and the hiring of Coach Bill Lynch. The recruitment of Felisha Legette-Jack and Tom Crean were both handled with great skill and professionalism as well. I am also appreciative that Rick has agreed to continue to guide the athletic department through the end of the year, as there are many key initiatives and projects that will require his strong administrative oversight. Our university owes Rick a great debt of gratitude for his selfless service."

"I am extremely disappointed with this additional allegation by the Committee on Infractions. I believe our compliance program worked, and have remained steadfast since I first learned of this situation in my belief that Rick Greenspan and the compliance staff did their job. We uncovered the violations, perhaps not immediately, but the appropriate behavior was uncovered, reported promptly and investigated thoroughly," remarked McRobbie.

McRobbie said, "Although I respect and accept Rick's decision to step down, this entire matter saddens me deeply. I know that a lot of thought and consideration went into Rick's decision. On behalf of Indiana University I thank him most sincerely for his accomplishments as Director of Athletics at Indiana University.

• Mikie #1

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:22 PM EST

Talk about BS, Greenspan was the fall guy. We all know who hired Sampson and that person still has an IU salary!

NCAA is BS as well. They have schools that pay athletes, cheat on grades, degrees, etc, and they do nothing. Yet IU gets the book thrown at them. BS.

• Jareb #2

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:31 PM EST

Awesome. Best news of the day. Worst AD in IU history and I won’t even debate it. Now we can officially move on.

• Jon #3

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:39 PM EST

I would have to say there was certainly a lack of oversite on the part of the athletic department. I’m not surprised by this. However, Greespan did accomplish quite a few things during his time here. Other than the cloud hanging over men’s bb, we are still better off now than before he arrived.

• Cate #4

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:40 PM EST

Jon, agreed. I’m not saying he’s perfect, but he’s not the horrible person people are brandishing him as. I certainly appreciate his hiring of Coach Hep and Coach Crean, to name a few accomplishments.

• Ryan #5

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:47 PM EST

Soooooooo

This is not something I wanted to see. Failure to monitor. How is this going to affect the way the NCAA rules on this case. Anyone?

• TheDuke #6

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:58 PM EST

Bad, this means the NCAA is going come down hard. Real real bad.

• Scott #7

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:59 PM EST

It is basically going to guarentee we will get more punishment than we already placed on ourselves.

Hopefully Crean doesn’t have an out clause for this situation because if so, he should definately use it. This just turned into a disaster.

• Steve O #8

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:59 PM EST

Looks like the circus that is the NCAA is doing eveything it can to slap IU with some sort of postseason ban or probation. How are these “new alligations”??? The NCAA didn’t have enough evidence to acuse IU of this crap during the hearing? Sampson and company knew what was going on. What a bunch of S***. F-Myles Brand and the NCAA and F-Sampson. They should be punishing the real criminals, like those involved in turning a blind eye to thousands and thousands of dollars in gifts being given to players, a la USC.

• Cate #9

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:01 PM EST

Wrote this under another post, but is there going to be a live feed of the conference available?

• Greg #10

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:01 PM EST

Everyone needs to remember, this is failure to monitor and not Lack of Institutional Control. I just don’t understand how they added this now, but could not come to the same conclusion before. Either they bought Sampson’s excuses or they uncovered some new stuff.

• Katy #11

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:02 PM EST

Brand will stop at nothing in his vindictiveness towards IU.

• Northsider #12

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:02 PM EST

If they have evidence of a coverup as has been suggested, why isn’t Greenspan gone immediately?

• Jon #13

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:03 PM EST

Does anyone know what type of punishment this latest accusation carries?

I would have to agree with other posts that USC has got to be punished in some way for that pay and play athetic department they have.

• Marley #14

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:05 PM EST

I wonder how much $$ IU will be paying
    Greenspan to go away? How many more golden parachutes do they have stored in the bowels of the Athletic Dept.?

• Caleb #15

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:11 PM EST

This crap makes me so sick. Greenspan is being forced out because of these new allegations and the freaking President of the U thinks its necessary to kiss his ass as well? That is weak McRobbie.

The NCAA is straight BS. ALl this is going to do is make other programs feel its not worth it to self-report any violations if they are still going to hammer that U. The NCAA doesnt have an investigative staff, so they will never even be able to find out what happened.

You watch, this is precedent for many Universities to stop being honest to the NCAA. Whats the benefit? There is none.

Nice job NC2A. If we got this for phone calls then USC better get the death sentence for failing to monitor Bush and Mayo or there is going to be some serious legal hell to pay.

• Steve O #16

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:12 PM EST

Yea, USC should just see if their athletic teams can get special permission from Myles Brand to join the NFL and NBA. I mean their players probably make as much as guys from those leagues…

And how come the NCAA doesn’t seem too concerned about lack of institutional control in USC’s case? I know I keep harping on that, but Jesus! Players were PAID TO PLAY!!!!! And the university just swept it under the rug. And now these “new” alligations for IU. Myles must love all of this. I mean doesn’t he have bigger fish to fry?!!?!?

• Scott #17

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:19 PM EST

Guys,

The NCAA adds “Failure to Monitor” and “Lack of Institutional Control” ALL THE TIME after the hearings for a school.

This is not new. Stop looking through the cream and crimson glasses like most of you have done from Day 1 of this mess.

• Mikie #18

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:26 PM EST

Anyone know why Brand is still honored at IU functions and has his silly painting hanging in the Union?

• Steve O #19

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:27 PM EST

And I’m sure the NCAA probably makes up it’s own rules as far as penalties, but I saw that SE Missouri was hit with lack of inst. control and failure to monitor and placed on 2 years probation and had 44 victories wiped from it’s record!!

• Telemarketing #20

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:27 PM EST

Another salary to pay and another phone call from IU asking for more money…

• ww #21

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:27 PM EST

Too busy to read all comments now, but I will later.

Here is what I have been told. Source to remain confidential.

RG asked a certain compliance person to overlook what they found. Compliance complied, however, all conversations were documented and it later surfaced. Recall the most recent movement in the compliance office? Well…now it comes out and McRobbie called for RG to go. So, me thinks RG is not as innocent or scapegoatish as some say. Sure, JB with compliance did wrong, but she was told to do wrong. That is how my horse’s mouth described it. Again, do not shoot the messenger. Just what I heard thru the gripevine.

• Megan M. #22

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:27 PM EST

Cate- Don’t know if HT will have a feed, but theindychannel.com will have one.

• Fire Crean TODAY!! #23

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:32 PM EST

HEY! Dont everyone thank me at once!!(WTF) Greenspan gone!! Now Crean !! THe petition must be working!! 1432 sigs so far!! Greenspan wilted under my pressure Crean is next

Your Truly
    The ONLY true Indiana fan

• ww #24

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:53 PM EST

The mud gets murkier. What a mess of Big Ten proportions. One more slimey rock turned over. When will it end? And why this Crean bashing? This is just a young coach willing to come into a bad situation…….that BTW…just got worse.

• Fire Crean TODAY!! #25

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:56 PM EST

Where is the love for the Indiana fans?? All this hate cant be “true” Hoosiers… Sad. Crean has to go, you whine now but you know at the end of this season(if I Fail) you’ll be right beside me going ” Crean has to go, duh, I mean like he has to go” You sissies know I AM RIGHT

Truly,
    Indianas super fan

• Steve O #26

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:56 PM EST

I wouldn’t be surprised if Crean is the next one to step down… Not that I want that by any means, but why would he wanna be in the middle of this mess?? I know I wouldn’t.

• Cate #27

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:05 PM EST

Thanks, Megan. I caught it on there. I appreciate the heads up!

• ronb #28

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:21 PM EST

Doug and Chris, Why can’t you keep this guy’s comments off your web site?

• Boombaby #29

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:39 PM EST

Who the hell or better still what the hell is this FCT. As we use to say on the playground “Kill it before it multiplies.”

• ww #30

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:43 PM EST

FCT should be ignored. Like all bored children, they will go home.

• Dr. Phil #31

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 6:33 PM EST

Wow I like the new Fire Crean TODAY!!! he seems to have really turned the corner, maybe now that he’s come out of the closet he will learn to recognize the transference of his anger onto the object of his desires.

• Mark K #32

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:16 PM EST

I think that RG stepping down is the right decision for many reasons, yet I hope that his head is the last to roll. Am looking forward to the NCAA decision so IU, the AD and especially IU b-ball can start rebuilding the program and its reputation.

Screw the Crean bashers and I can’t be more happy to have a top notch coach like him running the program.

So where is the $400K coming from too?

• Chris #33

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 9:07 PM EST

I think a great replacement for Greenspan would be Chris Reynolds. He’s a IU guy, and as far as I know, is not mixed up with any of the BS going on in the athletic dept. right now.

• Dave #34

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:00 PM EST

Chris Reynolds can not do the job ask anyone who works in the athletic dept.

• Celtic Quest Cafe #35

Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:47 PM EST

To Indiana’s super fan-

Why do you have such a vendetta against Coach Crean? He hasn’t even coached a single game yet, he’s doing his best to bring in the talent thats available in the midst of all that is going on, he runs a clean program, give the man a break!!!
    What we need to do is rally around this program and support the current coach and players. I know that is what I’m going to do.

Sincerely,

A True IU fan

• Quagmire #36

Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:10 AM EST

Robert Montgomery Knight should be the next IU A.D. At least offer him the job. He would probably say no, but what the hell.

• Tim Barr #37

Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:33 AM EST

Knight is a great college coach because he can get a lot from young men. This would never work in most fields, especially sports administration.

• Fire Crean TODAY!! #38

Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:54 PM EST

I AM Indiana only TRUE FAN.. I’m not leaving!!! I am Here to stay…I cant believe they let all these Purdue fans on here “Pretending” to be IU fans!! AShame, but I will prevail for IU

• J Pat #39

Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:55 PM EST

Ignore these guys that talk smack and they will leave. I have seen it on other boards. They admit they try to get a rise out of you. Greenie had to go but Herbert caused this mess if you read between the lines. McRobbie has a backbone and is really tough. He will fight this and win in the end. Count on it!

How many games will IU basketball win in 2014-15

• 16-19 (45%, 145 Votes)
  • 20-23 (36%, 117 Votes)
  • 15 or less (12%, 38 Votes)
  • 24 or more (7%, 24 Votes)

Total Voters: 324

IU vs Louisville Men\'s Jimmy V Classic

Men's Basketball Player Pages

[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_blackmon1.jpg]4930James Blackmon, Jr.
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard James Blackmon Jr. (1)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_zeisloft1.jpg]3800Nick Zeisloft
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Nick Zeisloft (2)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hoetzel1.jpg]3470Max Hoetzel
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Max Hoetzel (3)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_johnson1.jpg]3060Robert Johnson
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Robert Johnson (4)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_williams1.jpg]2780Troy Williams
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Troy Williams (5)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_burton1.jpg]2740Ryan Burton
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Ryan Burton (10)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_yogi1.jpg]2450Yogi Ferrell
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Yogi Ferrell (11)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_perea1.jpg]2710Hanner Mosquera-Perea
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea (12)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_robinson1.jpg]2270Stanford Robinson
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Stanford Robinson (22)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_ritchie1.jpg]2220Nate Ritchie
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Nate Ritchie (23)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_holt1.jpg]2680Emmitt Holt
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Emmitt Holt (25)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hartman1.jpg]2830Collin Hartman
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Collin Hartman (30)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_priller1.jpg]3140Tim Priller
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Tim Priller (35)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_april1.jpg]3180Jeremiah April
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers center Jeremiah April (44)

Women's Basketball Player Pages

[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_walter1.jpg]3430Jess Walter
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Jess Walter (2)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_buss1.jpg]8220Tyra Buss
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Tyra Buss (3)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_brooks1.jpg]4590Larryn Brooks
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Larryn Brooks (5)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_agler1.jpg]3790Taylor Agler
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Taylor Agler (10)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_bell2.jpg]2940Nicole Bell
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Nicole Bell (12)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_stratman1.jpg]2870Liz Stratman
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hulls1.jpg]2990Kaila Hulls
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard/forward Kaila Hulls (15)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_mcbride1.jpg]2520Karlee McBride
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Karlee McBride (21)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_gassion1.jpg]2370Alexis Gassion
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Alexis Gassion (23)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_muensterman1.jpg]2550Maura Meunsterman
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Maura Muensterman (31)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_mize1.jpg]2490Andrea Mize
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Andrea Mize (32)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_cahill1.jpg]2600Amanda Cahill
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Amanda Cahill (33)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_jakubicek1.jpg]2720Claire Jakubicek
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Claire Jakubicek (34)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_leikem1.jpg]2610Lyndsay Leikem
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Lyndsay Leikem (40)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_anderson1.jpg]2410Jenn Anderson
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers center Jenn Anderson (43)
  • Hoosier Clarion:

ARE was over rated as a college FB player? Antwaan was the best p [...]

• David J. Wegener:

Pete Pihos, George Taliaferro, Tim Clifford, Anthony Thompson. Antwaan [...]

• Ben_M:

UK does have several 2nd year players which does put holes in that the [...]

• Ben:

You're fine DD. [...]

• snake eyes:

Indiana was dealt an effective death penalty. [...]

• Ben_M:

It would be interesting to know the overall combined career record of [...]

• Double Down: