Negedu update

48 comments by   |   Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 10:47 pm EDT

You’ve clamored for it. And I suppose that, as Indiana fans, you’ve become accustomed to new news coming daily — nay, hourly — after the past couple of bizarrely eventful years. So, let me feed your need (here’s looking at you, Boombaby.)

Emmanuel Negedu, he of the soaring dunks and limitless hustle, apparently got into town a little bit late on Tuesday. Though I haven’t reached Negedu or any of his closest confidants, I have spoken to a few people who are aware of how things have progressed. Due to the late start, Negedu extended the visit in his attempt to get to know Tom Crean and the rest of the coaching staff.

The situation at Indiana is markedly different from the ones at Memphis, Tennessee or even Georgia Tech. First off, Negedu knows those coaching staffs and can look at their recent histories for an indication of what types of teams they will have. Also, you can tell a lot about those programs simply by looking at the rosters they’ll have next season; Tennessee and Georgia Tech return the heart of their respective teams while Memphis loses its stars but has new ones lined up in a top recruiting class. At Indiana, of course, the situation is much less stable with just three returning players and a hodge-podge recruiting class that must fit into a system that worked in the Big East but will probably need to be tweaked to fit the personnel available and the grinding Big Ten style.

So the Indiana visit, I’ve been told, is much more of a fact-finding visit for Negedu. You’ve heard kids talk about the “feeling” they get about a school, and that’s what so many of them are hoping to find when they step on campus. So coaches do whatever they can to create the feeling: they show off the banners, they drive through the campus on golf carts, they hang a jersey with the prospect’s number in the middle stall of the locker room.

That approach doesn’t seem to be the one that will win convince this recruit. Negedu has spent plenty of time in Bloomington but has too many questions that need to be answered about the IU program now that it is in the care of Tom Crean before he can allow himself to have the “feeling” that would lead to his commitment.

Negedu has visits planned to the three other schools he is considering and will make a decision sometime after June 12. A 6-7 forward and product of the Bloomington-based Indiana Elite AAU program, he is the best unsigned high school player in the class of 2008. He requested and received his release from Arizona last month because he was upset by the staff changes there and what he perceived to be a lack of honesty by the school.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Ferrell, Robinson enter pretrial diversion program
Mosquera-Perea reaches plea agreement for OWI arrest
CBS to carry a pair of Indiana basketball games #iubb
Big Ten Network to broadcast 17 Indiana basketball games
Guyton writes open letter to Knight, asks him to return to IU
Dynasty
Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 11:15 PM EDT

Come on Negedu, just end your recruiting search here =)

Will
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 12:01 AM EDT

I want this guy to come to IU so badly, but i would bet 1000 dollars he goes to memphis.

Toast
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 1:37 AM EDT

It is definitely a challenge when you look who we’re up against with this recruit. But Crean has already surprised me with some of the kids he has signed already. This kids got ties to the program and the city. I think Crean has the right attitude to convince these recruits not to be scared to play here. To quote Lloyd Christmas “so you’re telling me theres a chance”.

Chet
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 7:28 AM EDT

Ever been to Memphis? It’s a hellhole. I think we have a good chance.

Will
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 7:57 AM EDT

Memphis being a “hellhole” is fairly irrelevant as to where this kid is going. The guy that had alot to do with recruiting him to Arizona is now at Memphis and that is relevant. Like i said last night i hope this guy comes to IU, but i just dont think its gonna happen.

Downing's 5th
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 8:06 AM EDT

“A 6-7 forward and produce…”. “Produce”? Fresh talent worth shopping for?

LETTUCE us hope that Crean has grabbed this kid by the COLLARD and BEAN telling him that Indiana is more than just CORN, and uses whatever alluring CARROT he needs to SQUASH out any thought Negedu would give toward attending another school.
ENDIVE believe he’ll be interested in coming to Indiana, given the CUE, that his CUMBERsome frame, will allow him every chance to get playing time, and improve his ability to go to the basket. He just won’t find a school that can BEET the strength and national visibility offered by Hoosier basketball. Once Negedu campus visit ends, then Crean should not hesitate to put in a few extra phone KALES, because the NCAA will likely ASPARAGUS from any near-future investigations.
We won’t need to worry about embarrassing LEEKS involving illegal recruiting for a while.
We need to make sure this kid does not TURNIP with ONION one else except IU.

(off subject) Eric Gordon going to the Knicks?
If he can prove he’s not just an unproductive “beefy” guard, one that can really produce, he may have a long playing career in the GARDEN.

Caleb
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 8:35 AM EDT

I dont have too great of a feeling about this possibility, but then again, I thought VJ was Minny-bound 100%.

We will see. If we could land him I think we still win 16-18 games next year.

Kev
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 8:58 AM EDT

I think we have too much of an up hill climb. IMHO, I think it is Tennessee.

coachv
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 9:00 AM EDT

“new news”?!? sheesh, chris

Andrewp
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 9:52 AM EDT

Guys I am hearing it is Tennessee. Don’t be surprised if he commits while he is in Knoxville. They already have another top 5 class

#11 Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 9:59 AM EDT

Thank you Cris. With all the rain its nice he knows the campus, and is spending more time with TC. He also has a lot of friends here , that could be a plus, we’ll see. Thanks again

Eric
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 9:59 AM EDT

I’ll gladly be part of a delegation of IU fans who personally grovel and beg this kid to come to IU, if it’s determined that that would help.

I think it’s fairly apparent that Memphis is at the top of his list, if he got out of his commit to Arizona due to staff changes, and the assistant who recruited him there is now at Memphis. But as Caleb said, you never know.

Steve O
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 10:12 AM EDT

call me pesimistic, but no way he comes to IU…

Fire Crean NOW!!
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 10:20 AM EDT

Crean is going to wreck our program.. Do you think a petition to fire him will help? WE need to rid ourselves of this loser now!!.

Negedu does to Memphis or Tenn(probably Tenn! We should have went after Pearl..No excuses, we didnt and now we pay, and all the “WHINING” about his grad rate is bullshi*. Its time WE took back OUR program from all these sissy coaches(TOM CREAN) isnt he gay?

#15 Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 10:33 AM EDT

I love to have him, but he isn’t bigger than IU.

#16 Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 10:36 AM EDT

I would love to have him at Indiana University, but he isn’t bigger than Indiana University.

Andrewp
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 10:42 AM EDT

I love the ignorance on this comment list. Negedu is only considering Memphis because of the one staff member that switched from Arizona. UT recruited Negedu hard before his original decision and was one of the final 3. They then had a great season last year, ranked number 1 for a time. The vibe of what he tells Tennessee coaches/reporters is completely different than the two other schools (Georgia Tech is not a real player). He is taking all visits only due to his American guardians asking him too. He will commit while in Knoxville.

Eric
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 11:26 AM EDT

The post by ‘Fire Crean Now’ may be the stupidest post I’ve ever read on any message board at any time. Beyond that I won’t justify it with a response.

Andrewp, I live in Tennessee and none of my co-workers, who are UT alums and pretty big donors, have ever heard of Negedu and don’t know anything about his recruiting. I haven’t seen anything about him in the paper, though admittedly, I don’t live in Knoxville. But UT is like IU, all the state papers cover its teams in depth. So while you may have some inside scoop on this, and he may well commit to UT, I don’t believe I should be called ignorant. All I have is circumstances to judge by, and the circumstances seem to point to him going to Memphis. As IU fans, we’ve certainly seen this year the power of loyalty to a coach, even an assistant, and that’s Memphis’ card to play in this situation. That’s how I determined that it seems most likely that he’ll go to Memphis.

tberry
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 11:31 AM EDT

He will go to Tennessee!!!

They have decent facilities and will give him the chance to play on An NCAA championship Team.

Memphis might give him the Championship but the School is a pit.

IU could give him a great atmosphere but that is not what he has said he wants

HiggiStardust
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 11:59 AM EDT

Give me a break…he is NOT going to commit to UT during his trip to Knoxville. Negedu will make his 4 visits and announce sometime after June 12th. Does IU have a shot? Yes, Negedu knows that by coming to IU he will not only play in an offense that will allow him to showcase his skills, but he will be able to play right away for a team that might not suck as bad as originally anticipated due to the weakness of the Big Ten conference. It will come down to IU and Memphis…stay tuned!

Andrewp
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 12:11 PM EDT

HiggiStardust, I am going to ignore that. You will feel dumb when he commits. The last two big recruits to visit UT, Scotty Hopson and Bobby Maze, have committed on the spot.

Eric,

I understand what you are saying. All of the information is on the Volquest (Rivals) website. Newspapers cannot report on anything recruiting wise until it is official. In other words, they cannot report on rumor. But donor wise, they should know his name. He is the only player Pearl is recruiting hard right now besides Leslie Mcdonald.

UT alum/memphis native
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 12:13 PM EDT

You people who think memphis is a “pit” and Knoxville is paradise have never been to knoxville or Memphis. Memphis is much nicer than Knoxville with a nice downtown and the Tigers play in an NBA arena. Knoxville is a factory town bunghole, and I went to school there so I would know.

lordstrum
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 12:16 PM EDT

I went to school in Knoxville as well and you are crazy!

UT and Indiana will both give him the chance to play immediately. UT is the only one that guarantees he will have a chance to play for a championship in the next two years (besides Memphis) and that there will be no sanctions. Not to mention the better style of play and the better coach.

Andrewp
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 12:23 PM EDT

#25 Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 12:27 PM EDT

So in other words, Chris… He ain’t coming here!

Chet
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 12:28 PM EDT

Lived in Knoxville 4 years, strip malls as far as the eye can see. Very blah. Lived in Memphis, too. Absolute hell on earth. Couldn’t leave fast enough. Makes Bloomington in July seem like Aspen. Dirty. High crime rate. It is convenient to the high cultural amenities offered by Mississippi and Arkansas, though.
It just depends on his priorities.

#27 Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 12:48 PM EDT

Chey,

Good to have you around again.

I wasn’t really saying that he’s not coming here….just that his visit here has a totally different tone. (Does that make sense?) The situations at those other schools are fairly well defined because of the continuity. He can read up on them ahead of time and know what he’s getting into, for the most part. But with Indiana, there’s much more of an unknown. It’s not as much of a leisurely trip as the others will be.

Andrewp,

Who made this rule about newspapers not reporting on rumor? This is a new one to me, and last I knew I have been working in newspapers for almost 10 years now.

HoosierDesi
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 1:08 PM EDT

You all are crazy. There will be no sanctions so whoeever said that you are clearly living way back when sampson was here(hope u get that joke atleast) and with Negedu we can be back in the tournament as fast as after this season. an NBA arena? who cares come watch a game in assembly hall and ull be bored at REAL NBA games. noone but the likes of duke can match our energy in my opinion. you all talk about competing for a championship but what about being the face of rebuilding one of the greatest programs in college basketball i doubt any program can compete with that right now

Eric
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 2:25 PM EDT

The contention that “Memphis is much nicer than Knoxville with a nice downtown” is surpassed on this board only by FireCreanNow in terms of sheer ludicrousness. Dude, I live in Nashville, the rest of the state would be very happy if Tennessee would cede Memphis to Mississippi or Arkansas!! If Negedu wants to attend Tiger High rather than the other schools he’s visiting, more power to him, have fun avoiding getting mugged!!!

Buck Fama
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 2:25 PM EDT

UT Alum/Memph…whatever

You must have done quite well in school at Knoxville to end up back in Memphrica, which does have a very nice downtown if you are relocating from East St. Louis.

Fire Crean NOW!!
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 2:32 PM EDT

You can already see the divison Crean has created here in Indiana the Paradise of the world. We must get rid of him now!! Lets start a letter writing campain to get rid of him F*ck Tennesee and Memfis! Indiana is where GOd lives. We all are Republicans here the rest of the world is Democrats Fu*k Obama! Go Hoosiers!!

HiggiStardust
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 2:34 PM EDT

For all of you who are debating the “quality of life” in Memphis and Knoxville, remember that this kid is coming from AFRICA! Thus, even East St. Louis would probably look like Shangri-La!! I would even veture to say that Negedu might even feel more comfortable in Memphis than Knoxville or Bloomington…

Eric
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 2:34 PM EDT

Memphis is also a wonderful alternative to Newark; Gary, Indiana, or the Compton or Watts sections of LA!!!

Is it truly a sign of the times when the most vigorously discussed subject on a Hoosiers message board is the relative attractiveness of Memphis and Knoxville??

CHANGE
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 2:40 PM EDT

Whatever the demographics of Indiana may be, one thing is for certain: CHANGE is needed in this country, and it starts with the Whitehouse. This video says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQdxHaqGPJg

Stand up and vote for CHANGE in 2008!

Eric
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 3:19 PM EDT

Okay, Fire Crean Now, maybe the joke’s on me for not getting it that you’re actually mocking the hyperbolic content of these message boards with your posts. Or at least I’m assuming you’re not serious and don’t actually think the rest of the world outside Indiana is a bunch of Democrats. Those would be fighting words in Tennessee, which failed to vote for its native son and Democrat Albert Gore in the biggest election of them all …………

george
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 4:33 PM EDT

ESPN on line has Derick Favors as the #1 player in the class of 2009. They list IU as one of his four choices. How real is this?

Fire Crean NOW!!
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 4:38 PM EDT

Tennesee? Look at how the “crean” hate machine has already divided the Hoosier nation!! We are posting about Ten. and Memphis and not about GOds country Indiana!! Crean is destroying us.

gsmitts
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 5:42 PM EDT

Fire CREAN nOW….Get a life and please take your hatred someplace else… It is not needed or wanted in this wonderful ‘diverse’ city of Bloomington. Oh by the way I am republican and guess what I voted for OBAMA because I want a change in this crazy world and I don’t want ‘PEOPLE’ like you running the country anymore… Have a great and joyous day… Go smell the flowers outside they may make you have a good evening….GOD BLESS…

Josh
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 5:51 PM EDT

Fire Crean Now,

You are either incredibly stupid, insane, or a combination of both. Crean is the best thing to happen to IU in years. He’s building a program ALL of us can be proud of and he’s an outstanding ambassador and leader for IU basketball. WOW, are you a nut job.

Caleb
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 8:59 PM EDT

Man all kinds of crazy people and UT/Memphis “fans” on here. How did you all even find out about this blog? Chris, can we do something like block the guy who is spewing his hate (Hire Crean now…or is that fire?….I couldnt read through your stars and exclamation points) on here for no reason whatsoever? You have his IP address when he made a post, so I know you would have what you need to block him. HT should look into that.

IU has as much of a shot as anyone else. I dont believe any of the rest of you “fans” because IF you had inside info you wouldnt be posting on a message board. Seriously “fans”. Ease back a little on the jargon.

Indyfreelancer
Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 9:25 PM EDT

CHANGE,

“All Republicans in Indiana? Hmmm…I guess that’s why your most senior senator is a DEMOCRAT: Evan Bayh!”

Dude, ever hear of Richard Lugar? He’s been in the Senate since 1976 (or about the time that Evan was able to legally drink at Nick’s).

I’m all for change, but let’s at least start with the correct historical context.

Fire Crean NOW!!
Friday, June 6, 2008 - 10:44 AM EDT

I’m Indiana all the way!! WTF is your problem? You “GIRLS” need to stop whining! What needs to be addressed is Crean, How can we rid ourselves from this loser? We are starting a petition. Sampson screwed us Crean will bury us. Our only legecy is when white boys wore tube socks!! We su*k with Crean.. We’ll be a Junior college team by the time hes through! No Football, No track, no womens program. All we have is Tractor repair…we wreak.

george
Friday, June 6, 2008 - 11:52 AM EDT

Derrick Rose came down to IU and Memphis! he decided to pass on playing with his aau buddy Eric Gordan, for Memphis which I have spent a lot of time, and the city is a cess pool. Creans is a bad recruiter has only had one good trip to the NCAA. He is proving he still can’t recruit and will lose out on Negedu!!!!

jimbo
Friday, June 6, 2008 - 2:30 PM EDT

Fire Crean Now!!! You are a piece of work.. If you were a real Hoosier fan you would not be so negative and wait to see what happens.. It is really getting old reading your negativity.. If I may ask – What qualifications do you feel you have to be judging the job of Coach Crean?? Are you a high paid recruiter that knows what a true COLLEGE BASKETBALL coach’s resume should look like. I believe if you were then you would not have the time nor care what coach IU has hired. I for one would really wish you were so I didn’t have to read your negativity on IU BASKETBALL and who you feel should be coaching it. We haven’t even started the season yet and you are babbling on about what you feel you know. I suggest that you go to another site, maybe this so called ‘petition’ sight and voice your crap, because you are not wanted on this one. Thanks and have a great day.. OH by the way GEORGE, please join him we really need to support this new Coach and new team no matter what. This is if you are a “TRUE” “HOOSIER FAN”. GO HOOSIERS…

Fire Crean NOW!!
Friday, June 6, 2008 - 3:55 PM EDT

See what hatred he inspires!! CREAN MUST GO! We are going to be 11-17 next year with division III players woooo hooo!! You little girls need to grow up and face the facts, Crean isnt for us!! He recruits like his as at Devry…. You “GIRLS” can sit around circle jerking, but us TRUE Hoosier fans will act now!!
FIRE CREAN NOW!!!
P.s. “Jimbo” must be a closet Wildcat or Tiger fan…He/She(probabaly) is NOT a Hoosier fan!!.(period)

jimbo
Friday, June 6, 2008 - 5:40 PM EDT

FC NOW.. after this comment back to you I am done even giving you the time of day… The only hatred that is coming into the HOOSIER NATION is your complete and utter nastiness. If we go 11-17 sooooo what we are rebuilding a program that has went through complete ‘HELL’. I think that you believe that you have more ‘POWER’ than you do by saying “TRUE Hoosier fans will act now!!!” What a joke if you truly believe that you have any power to do so at all. ‘TRUE’ Hoosier fans are excited about this new opportunity and finally cleaning up our program with a new coach that is going to hopefully help us get back to the true meaning of “HOOSIER BASKETBALL” and that is producing STUDENT-ATHLETES. Coach Crean is going to do so. PLease get out of your dream world and out of our nightmare and just calm down and wait and see what happens next year. I do believe it sounds like you are an upset ‘Marquette’ fan that Coach Crean decided to leave your program and now we have him.

~CHEERS~

P.S. Your ‘GIRL’ comments truly shows us how truly immature you are and how after I push the submit button I will no longer have to worry about reading your blogs because I am going to ignore them as I hope everyone else does.. As I said before go to your own ‘blog’ and spew your hatred and negativity someplace else instead of where “TRUE” Hoosier fans read about this exciting new opportunity we have. Have a great and joyous weekend!!!

Fire Crean NOW!!
Saturday, June 7, 2008 - 10:17 AM EDT

ahhh that was sweet Jimbo. Crean still must go though!!

#48 Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 3:05 AM EDT

Nike Air Force 1 Low – White/Marina Blue
As of late, we have seen some pretty clean colorways on the Nike Air Force 1 Low. Most of the recent Air Force 1s have featured simple colorways, but that nice spark was added for attention. Well this Nike SB 1 Low comes with the same approach as it uses a White/Marina Blue colorway. A nice portion of the sneaker features patent leather, including the toe area, heel tab, and Nike swoosh. Marina blue works its way on the tongue tag, Nike swoosh, and heel tab. This clean Nike Air Force 1 Low is finished off with a nice semi translucent outsole. There’s no doubt that Nike made these for summer, and it fits the season perfectly. Check out a couple more shots after the jump and let us know what you think of Nike Shox?

Comments