Crean’s path in Cincinnnati

Here are a few of the teams and players we know Indiana coach Tom Crean (and assistant Tim Buckley) were watching today at the “It Takes 5ive” event on the campus of the University of Cincinnati:

• He pulled double duty at 2:40, standing between courts 3 and 4. On court 3, he could watch Jordan Hulls and Bobby Capobianco help Indiana Elite One (17-under) to a 74-71 win. He also had a chance to see Stephan Van Treese play for only the third time. But Crean also watched the Atlanta Celtics lose to the All Ohio Force, all the while making sure that Celtics star Christian Watford knew he was there. Indiana is very high on the 6-8 wing forward — and he on the Hoosiers.
  • At 4 p.m., Crean ventured over to the student recreation center to see Indiana Elite’s Team Indiana 15-under group. Coaches in the area are trying to be sure to evaluate the squad, which has three foreign players — brought to the U.S. by Adams — over 6-8, plus an assortment of other promising players (one, Vinny Zollo, has already committed to Kentucky).
  • After that, Crean scooted over to a nearby court to see what Indiana Elite’s other team of rising sophomores, Indiana Elite One, had going. Elite One is anchored by the two youngest brothers in the most recent Indiana family dynasties: Marshall Plumlee (6-10) and Cody Zeller (6-8). Indiana has interest in both, and there’s no question both have the talent to live up to their name. The Hoosiers are also after Spencer Turner, a Bloomington South guard who plays for Elite. He’s also hearing from North Carolina, Duke and every other Big Ten school other than Northwestern and Penn State, he said.

• BA says:

How old is this Zeller, both of his bothers are 7′ is he still growing??

• alum says:

Chris, do you have the stats for our IU guys? Maybe even SVT? I heard that he will have to step up because the Plumbly kid won’t be there. How did Hulls and Capo do?

• Dynasty says:

coo.

• Kenny_G says:

Stay away from Zeller! Hoosier Nation has had enough of that family!!!

• alum says:

Really, they are a nice family. I don’t blame them for not coming to IU under Sampson…..I believe Tyler Zeller would have considered IU under Crean….it must not have been in the plan. It would be nice however to land the youngest Zeller. Kenny_G I don’t think you know this family.

• Scott says:

If you are around this blog a lot, you would know that Kenny G doesn’t know anything. He just spouts off for no reason.

• alum says:

Yes I figured that…………..but wanted to defend the family anyway 😉

• Kenny_G says:

You assumed I meant their family was bad, which I did not. Their family has already picked two schools over IU so why waste more time on a family that has already made it clear they want nothing to do with IU? It’s tough enough to recruit a top prospect on a level playing field but now you want us to waste time on someone who has blood ties to nd and unc?

• HiggiStardust says:

Christian Watford would be the best get to round out the 2009 class – he fits Crean’s up-tempo offense to a tee.

• alum says:

It is not that they don’t like IU, it is that they didn’t feel their son (s) fit in with the situation. When Luke was being recruited it was Mike Davis; clearly not Luke’s style of play. When Tyler was being recruited, it was Sampson, obviously not Tyler’s style in players, coach or style of play. Too bad now that Crean is here, Tyler would have fit in great considering he is a Hoosier through and through, born and breed with fundamentals and team play. Trust me, they would have loved to have their son closer to home but again it is all about what is the best fit for the school and the player.

• HuskyTom says:

There is something creepy to me about these large families of nerdy, skinny white basketball players. All I can think of is Shawn Bradley.

I’ve never seen the Zellers or the Plumblees play, though, so my suspicions are irrational. Still, somehow I see them as better suited to own hot dog and lunch meat enterprises.

• Caleb says:

Shawn Bradley had a long NBA career and made millions upon millions. Zeller or Plumlee would be lucky to be him honestly. 7’0″ isnt 7’6″ though.

• Chris says:

Let me try to answer the questions in order.

Cody Zeller is 6-8. Marshall Plumlee is already 6-10. Both are 15 and rising sophomores.

To alum: I’m going to post a story about Hulls and Capobianco in a few minutes.

• Steve O says:

Anyone remember Luke Zeller? There was all this buzz about him coming out of high school. How has his career at ND turned out so far? I think he’s averaged 3 ppg and 2 or 3 rpg for his career there. And Tyler looks like he’s withering away to nothing!

CREAN, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THE ZELLER’S!!!!

• Eric says:

The relative merits of the Zeller brothers aside, we seem to have a shot at this Watford kid. He played at the tourney in B-ton also if I remember correctly. Can anyone assess his game a bit for my benefit?

• Steve O says:

Eric, agreed. At one point one of the scouting websites interviewed Watford, and he said IU was the clear favorite for him. Not sure if anything changed though. And, he does have some impressive clips on youtube you can check out.

• person says:

i dont think marshall plumlee is 6 10 i think both zeller and plumlee are about the same height. they are both really skinny and pretty much dont have any signs of aging . Last time i saw them play it appeared neither had any armpit hair.

I dont know if u know this but darwin Davis(bloomington north last year moved into south district this year) plays on mark adams team and ive heard hes recieved offers from tennessee and louiville

• BBall fam says:

I think it’s amazing how some Btown players get into the paper and others don’t. To “person” thanks for noticing yet another player that is from Btown that hasn’t been mentioned yet. I heard that his first game yesterday he had 20-10 (pts. and asst.). A friend was there watching and said his second game he dropped around 35 points. Why no mention? Those seem like pretty good numbers-even though he’s not 7 foot and from Africa.

• BBall fam says:

I heard Kentucky and Memphis have been showing alot of interest in Davis too.

• HuskyTom says:

The Zellers and the Plumblees either need to become Amish and build furniture, or get jobs at Oscar Meyer and sell bologna. I don’t want to see their skinny, hairless, pimply bodies on an IU bench any time soon.

• One for all says:

Chris-can you expain why you mentioned a kid from Kentucky that has committed to Kentucky, but the tanner kid from our own town gets no ink?

• Chris says:

BBall fam: We are planning to have a story on Dee Davis, the former North guard who is transferring to South, in tomorrow’s paper. We’re trying to reach more sources to round it out.

One for all: Have to be honest with you and say that I’m not aware of the “tanner kid.” If you can fill me in we will be sure to get some coverage.

person: Plumlee was at least 6-10, and Zeller was a few inches shorter.

Eric: Watford did play at the May Classic, although he was with his usual team the M33M Ballers. He’s a diverse scorer that can hit from outside or slash. He effortlessly makes plays at the AAU level and would, as many have pointed out, fit well in Crean’s system.

• Quagmire says:

Chris,

I’m guessing one for all is thinking of Spencer TURNER and not Tanner. Again, just a guess because I know of no one named Tanner that is an up and comer here in Bloomington.

• Chris says:

OK. In that case, we have a Spencer Turner story that will run in the paper soon, too. Plus, he is mentioned in the post above.

• Eric says:

Chris, thanks for the info. As I’ve mentioned before, I live out of state and don’t have many chances to see these players on the court until they get to IU.

I don’t think you need defend yourself against people who don’t use punctuation or capital letters where appropriate, or can’t even get the name of local players right in their critical posts. It’s not like Bloomington has 20 high schools to keep track of; you’d think people would know the actual, correct last name of a local player they’re so impressed with. But maybe Quagmire and I are old-fashioned.

Comments are closed.

WIll Indiana make the NCAA Tournament?

IU vs Michigan men's basketball

• MikeC:

A couple of things I over looked in my previous game post, Alexia Gass [...]

• t:

T . Moren is an upgrade over Curt Miller. Yes the team is a year olde [...]

• Mwcorne:

Irish, again, at no time did I ever state that coach Miller recruited [...]

• Chet:

So, "Indiana’s all-time starting five" consists of three guards and [...]

• Irish Ballz:

I am right once again. Iowa lost their 3 best players from last year a [...]

• TallGuy15:

I'm still recovering from the mini heart attacks at last night's game. [...]

• Hoosier Clarion:

In the sports section of the February 2nd edition of the Fort Wayne Ne [...]

Find Kentucky basketball coverage on VaughtsViews.com - Find Notre Dame football coverage on NDInsider.com. © Hoosier Times Inc., all rights reserved.