Suel won’t suit up for Hoosiers

9 comments by   |   Saturday, July 5, 2008 - 7:34 pm EDT

Even as Indiana adds players to its possible 2009 football recruiting class, it found out it is losing a 6-3 wide receiver that was supposed to join the team in August.

Marquelo Suel, who starred for Harding in Fort Wayne, did not qualify academically and now plans to attend Division II Northwood University in Michigan, according to the Fort Wayne News-Setinel.

In an article proclaiming him the newspaper’s choice for “PrepSports Boys Athlete of the Year” for his work in football, basketball and track, writer Reggie Hayes reports that Suel could not achieve an SAT score that would allow him to be accepted.

“It was disappointing (to lose the Indiana scholarship) because I was trying to work harder than what I did before,” Suel told the paper. “But I just couldn’t get in. Now I just have to take a new route to achieve my goals.”

Related content: Read more in Football

Can you guess which football players received weekly honors from IU? I bet you can
Chris Green commits to Toledo
Sudfeld, IU offense see more balance in the future
Hoosiers shut out of Big Ten weekly awards
Where the Hoosiers stand on the national leaderboards
ZachRoyse
Saturday, July 5, 2008 - 7:55 PM EDT

First off, this broke Tuesday night. 2nd of all, as a high schooler from the Fort Wayne area, I would not want any of these kids to come to IU to play sports. They all have their own troubles. I can only name 2 from the past 7 or so years that have done really well and kept their noses clean(DaMarcus Beasley and Anthony Spencer, and please don’t even get me started on James Hardy).

Mark W.
Sunday, July 6, 2008 - 8:47 AM EDT

I think ZackRoyse paints with too wide of a brush regarding the high school football talent from Ft Wayne area high schools.

I won’t mention all names in order to refrain from forgetting a name or two, but there is a kid at COlumbia University from FW Snider that could have attended a number of Big Ten schools but opted for an Ivy League education instead. He is setting all sorts of records as a kicker. FW Snider has 8 players at Ball State all of whom are good citizens, students and players. I’ll mention Travis Crazens at Miami of Ohio, who also could have attended a few Big Ten schools but opted for Oxford, OH instead. IU’s own punter last season was from FW Homestead. There are a couple of kids from FW Dwenger HS playing at Notre Dame. Within the past seven years, I think, Trai Essex from FW Harding HS played at Northwestern and now plays for the Pittsburg Steelers. There is also a kid from Wayne HS that played at Iowa and is a punter in the NFL. Finally, Jason Fabinni is the left OT for the Washington Redskins. He is from FW Dwenger. All of these guys are clean and made the best of their athletic talent by going to school. So let’s not include everyone from FW high schools as so called bad kids.

Caleb
Sunday, July 6, 2008 - 9:16 AM EDT

Bummer. He would have seen some serious PT at IU next year. NOw I see why IU continues to load up on wide receivers even in 09. I think Duwyce will be a Hoosier and they have already signed Chester who is widely regarded the best WR in Michigan in 09.

Thats too bad, though, when a kid has to take a step or two down because of grades. Its a good chance for Tandon to show us what he can do as a frosh as well as speedster Adetona.

On a side note, it says D-Will ran a 4.40 40 in high school. If that is true he is going to be a beast. Thigpen also ran a 4.40 40 coming out of high school. The difference is Thigpen was 5-10 185 and D-Will is 6-0 200. Darius was a big recruiting coup for Lynch last year.

ZachRoyse
Sunday, July 6, 2008 - 9:57 AM EDT

Two of the kids at Ball State were the ones that traded their books in for cash. The kicker for Columbia’s last name was Rochell. Look at the top kids Indiana has recruited though, Payton and Bustamante being the opposite. James Hardy and now this. It took Bernard Pollard 5 times to get a 750 on the SAT in high school, John Goodman has a drug problem, Mi’Quale Lewis isn’t as clean as they come either. I may have jumped to conclusion as I didn’t look to far into the picture, but I was just going on Big Ten players(Charles Bailey transferred to DII to improve draft stock haha and Artis Chambers was ineligible last year for Michigan).

kurk81
Sunday, July 6, 2008 - 11:33 AM EDT

Are you guys actually arguing about whether all kids from Ft.Wayne are bad characters? Maybe we should stop recruiting in Indy and Chicago, too -I hear that criminals live there.

#6 Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 5:42 PM EDT

well dis is true fact marquelo suel didnt go to northwood. he’s at ay juco in cali. called allan hancock. in he plans on cuming back to the hoosiers…

#7 Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 2:47 AM EDT

The Nike Auto Flight made its debut last year, but we haven’t seen much of it so far in 2010. Well here we finally get one as this Auto Flight is inspired after the NFL’s Miami Dolphins. The Miami Dolphins have one of the best team colors in the NFL, which made it easy for Nike. The sneakers official colorway is Bluegrass/White/Orange. The nice bluegrass base is constructed of textured leather and regular leather. Latter material is put into use on the side panel, toe area, tongue, and collar area. Orange accents appear on the tongue tag, outsole, and the inside of the tongue. To break up the colorful design, Nike adds a white, vulcanized rubber sole. With me being a Miami Dolphins fan, I love these. How do you like these Nike Auto Flights?

#8 Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 2:48 AM EDT

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along.
I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading.Nice blog,I will keep visiting this blog very often.
Nike shoes
Nike dunk sb
Nike Shox
Nike Air Force

#9 Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 4:25 AM EDT

A full collection of Women nike shox shoes clearance sale nike shox shoes nike shox shoes in saleshoxshoes.com with a variety of cheap nike shox classic and the latest styles nike shox sale in 2010. All products of nike shox clearance for women with advanced buy nike shox technology and great cushioning system provide women nike shox | men nike shox lightweight and additional nike shox for women | men shox shoes protection for your feet. Besides, Injected Women Nike Shox R2 | Men Nike Shox R2 TPU tip and Compression molded Women Nike Shox R3 | Men Nike Shox R3 Phylon forefoot bring great flexibility Women Nike Shox R4 | Men Nike Shox R4 to you. So the discount nike shox monster for sale online can be regarded as the best Men Nike Shox OZ or good at playing basketball. The Cheap Nike Shox R5 retailers are happy to sale Discount Nike Shox R6 online with the best quality at affordable price!

Comments

• W. Volleyball. Smooth Jazz (Episode 3) - On this week's episode of Smooth Jazz, sophomore Jazzmine McDonald takes you on a tour of ESPN and Faizon Love makes a guest
  • W. Basketball. Moren Announces Indiana Women's Basketball Coaching Staff - Indiana head women's basketball coach Teri Moren announced her coaching staff for 2014-15. Curtis Loyd, Rhet Wierzba and Todd Starkey will join her as assistant coaches.Read more...
  • Hacked McCloud twitter account causes stir - In late July, Ray-Ray McCloud III shocked a lot of college football fans when he committed to Clemson. For a few moments yesterday, it
  • Fertitta set on Notre Dame - Nicco Fertitta plays hard. He plays fearlessly. Receivers going across the middle have to watch out for him because the three-star defensive
  • Vonleh to miss 6-8 weeks after surgery to repair hernia -

Former Indiana forward and Charlotte Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh will be playing catch-up to start his NBA career. Last season’s Big Ten freshman of the year will miss 6

• Juwan Morgan moves up official visit to Indiana -

Class of 2015 Waynesville (Mo.) forward Juwan Morgan, who had been scheduled to take an official visit to Bloomington later this month, has moved his visit up to this weekend.

• VIDEO: Emmitt Holt talks joining Indiana - Emmitt Holt, a late signee for Indiana in the 2014 class, talks about joining IU in this
  • Juwan Morgan moves up official visit to IU - 2015 forward Juwan Morgan has moved up his official visit to Indiana to this weekend. Read more
  • Juwan Morgan Reconfigures His Visit Schedule