Dancing Cheek to Cheek?

Or could it be Cheek to Creek, as in Dominic Cheek to Mo Creek?

Tom Crean’s already received a verbal from Creek, a high scoring 2009 guard who had a strong summer on the AAU circuit. Now IU has jumped in on the recruitment of Cheek, a smooth guard out of the St. Anthony program in Jersey City, N.J. Here’s a tidbit we had about him in today’s paper.

Dominic Cheek, one of the top senior basketball players in the country, is considering a scholarship offer from Indiana and may visit Bloomington soon.

“I think they are going to squeeze a visit out of Cheek, and he’s one of the better players in the country,” said St. Anthony (Jersey City, N.J.) head coach Bob Hurley. “The former coaching staff did nothing with him. This group has done a good job to come in late.”

Cheek, a 6-foot-5 guard, starred for Hurley’s team last year as it went 32-0 — winning the program’s 25th state title — and finished No. 1 in several high school polls. He has known Roshown McLeod, a former St. Anthony player who was recently hired to become Indiana coach Tom Crean’s third assistant, most of his life and currently plays with McLeod’s younger brother, Devone.

“The projections for Cheek are unbelievable,” said Hurley, who is not noted for hyberbole or hyping his own players. “He’s graceful as can be. He’s been a legend around here since 7th grade.”

• Scott W #1

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:29 PM EDT

We need bigs!!!

• eric #2

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:17 AM EDT

Yes, we need bigs, but if this kid is playing for Hurley and is as good as he’s described, he’ll help us. Plus, we’re not through the turmoil with the NCAA yet, we’re likely to have a player or two transfer, so what seems like excessive numbers at a position may not turn out that way.

• Steve O #3

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:07 AM EDT

We need bigs, true, but we also could use a top 10 shooting guard, who’s considered a legend in the NY high school scene.

• HiggiStardust #4

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:23 PM EDT

Creek could also play Small Forward and word is that he has not stopped growing.

• HiggiStardust #5

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:24 PM EDT

Err…I mean “Cheek”.

• Steve O #6

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:07 PM EDT

In Crean’s offence he doesn’t really play with a traditional small forward. It’s usually a third shooting guard or athletic combo guy. But yea, Cheek would fit the 3 spot perfectly!

• B in MD #7

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:30 PM EDT

I guess I’m going to play the middle here. I definitely agree that we need big men, but I also think that given the situation we need the best talent regardless of position. I’ll take this kid over a lower ranked or thought of big man.

Now if everything was equal and we had Cheek and a big of equal talent, then we need the big.

On the offensive philosophy thing, a three guard set and a true small forward is usually splitting hairs. The difference is usually simply the height of the small forward. If your sf is 6-2 people say you use a three guard set, if he’s 6-5 or 6-6 people say you use a small forward, but my guess is Crean’s offensive sets don’t vary that much. Every offense I played in the 2 and the 3 were pretty interchangeable, the difference was really in who we defended more than anything else.

• Steve O #8

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:18 PM EDT

Traditional shooting guards are usually better shooters. A true small forward like Lebron, for example, has more of a drive and get fouled mentality, with a bigger body, but can step out and hit the 3 when need be. Crean’s offense focuses on the fast break, and perimeter games, where guards usually excel. Again, like B said, I don’t mean to split hairs, but there is a slight difference in the role of a traditional sf and a “3 guard”.

• B in MD #9

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:12 PM EDT

I wouldn’t call LeBron James at 6-8 240 a traditional small forward:)

Like we’ve both said we’re splitting hairs. You have all kinds of different type of shooting guards and small forwards as far as style of play. My point was that in most offenses the position or how the plays are run for that position are somewhat interchangeable.

The offense pretty much stays the same, so I don’t think Crean necessarily seeks out extra guards for a 3-guard set instead of true sf’s, he takes the best he can get and fits them where they’ll work.

• B in MD #10

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:12 PM EDT

Steve O -

Sorry buddy, I’m just so bored at work right now that I have to create a debate out of nothing…thanks for playing along:)

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football