Student-athlete added to search committee

Four days after the rest of the athletics director search committee was named, IU added a student-athlete to the group on Tuesday.

Drew Allenspach, captain of the men’s golf team, will be the 14th member of the committee charged with conducting a nationwide search to replace Rick Greenspan.

“Drew has distinguished himself as both a student and an athlete, and I am confident he will give our students an effective voice in the search process,” McRobbie said in a statement. “I believe it is especially important to have student representation on this committee because our students care deeply about the teams that represent Indiana University in inter-collegiate competition.”

Why Allenspach? He’s one of IU’s top student-athletes, emphasis on the former, as he carries a 4.0 GPA as a finance and accounting major.

• Steve O #1

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 1:21 PM EDT

Good move AD search committee!

• DD #2

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 1:30 PM EDT

Good. I’m glad to see the administration got smart and actually included a student-athlete on the search committee.

Not to do so would be a disservice to ALL student athletes at IU.

• Jason #3

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 5:26 PM EDT

big whoop. if they really meant it, then would have done it in the first place.

• Jimmy #4

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 5:29 PM EDT

Oh yeah Jason, let’s complain about how they don’t REALLY mean it. Seriously, I am amazed at the things people whine about.

• Tim #5

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 7:00 PM EDT

Drew is an acquaintance of mine and one of the nicest, most intelligent guys I’ve met at IU and an ideal student-athlete for the school. He is honestly a peer that I judge myself by and strive to be more like. IU’s student body could not be better represented on the committee, and I believe the committee is now a great deal stronger with his addition.

• Jason #6

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 10:47 PM EDT

i was done to appease the whiners like youself that cried for a student rep. they listened, and took care of it today with a token student rep. so the whiner is folks like you.

• Jimmy #7

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 11:24 PM EDT

I don’t recall saying anything about it.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football