What Jobe can do for IU

Tijan Jobe dunks

[6 P.M. UPDATE]

Here’s a scouting report from a guy who would know, Tom Pritchard.

Pritchard and Jobe face each other every day, all day.

“He just likes to power it. He’s a power guy. He doesn’t really take that many jump shots, but he can definitely get position and he has a lot of strength in his upper and lower body and when he finishes he finishes strong.”

——-

There’s no getting around the fact that Tijan Jobe is a basketball neophyte, a player who has received about the same amount of coaching so far as your average junior high player in Indiana.

Jobe arrived in the United States four years ago, then bounced through four schools and, according to Mike Burris, his coach at his stop before IU, Olney Central College, he wasn’t consistently schooled in the basics of basketball on a daily basis until about a year ago.

There’s also no getting around the fact that Jobe is 7-foot and 260 pounds.

“I think I can help the team mostly on defense, probably,” he said Wednesday. “Because I have a long wingspan. I’ll make use of that.”

Offensively, Jobe won’t be asked to do much. That’s a reflection of Crean’s offense as much as it is Jobe’s ability. Post players are expected to set screens for and kick the ball out to the guards; it is their duty to spread the floor.

“I like facing my back to the basket,” he said. “They try to make me face the defender and do some pick and rolls with the point guards and try to make the floor open for everybody.”

Also, as evidenced by the picture I’ve posted with this blog, Jobe will be able to dunk thunderously. So that’s good.

• DD #1

Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:40 AM EDT

You know, I look at Tijan Jobe and I immediately think of someone like Kenny George at UNC-Asheville. He didn’t play all that much, or for that long of a stretch. His offensive production wasn’t all that great, but if and when he got the ball in the paint it wasn’t hard for him to put down a thunderous dunk. But where he really made his impact was just his presence on defense. He was a game changer. Jobe could be such a presence for IU next season.

Of course, Kenny George also has a 7″ height advantage on Jobe…

• Steve O #2

Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:17 PM EDT

It’s gonna be tough for Jobe being that he’s so raw, but as DD said, he could definately be a game changer on defense, as long as he can stay out of foul trouble… There’s no doubt that will be the game plan for every team who plays against IU this year… Get the “bigs” in foul trouble, because there just aren’t many of them on the team.

• Chet #3

Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 1:59 PM EDT

I live in Asheville and I’ve seen Kenny several times. He’s much closer to 7’9″ than 7’7″. Six foot nine players look like children next to him and he has an amazingly soft touch, a good free throw shooter, good passer. But, you are right about the defensive impact. When he is in the game, there is no lane. If he is within 5 or 6 feet players have to alter their shots. Shots literally hit him in his biceps when his arms are up. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t designed to be that big. He’s out for this year with a foot problem. He doesn’t have much stamina because his heart has a lot of work to do. He seems to be a great person and he has really filled the stands for UNCA.

• Mark #4

Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 3:23 PM EDT

How long was Uwe Blab in the U.S. before he came to IU? I knew he was a H.S. foreign exchange student in Illinois for at least a year, any one know more about that? My point is this… if Jobe is dedicated to working hard & does what the coaching staff tells him he can be a contributor for a year or so and then make an impact beyond the defensive end of the court. You know when Hakeem Olajuwon played at Univ of Houston reporters would ask his teammates how good he was. They usually replied something like, “He’s better today than he was yesterday.” I’m hoping the same for Jobe. Go IU!!

• Doak #5

Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 4:35 PM EDT

I lived in Houston in the early 80s and remember Hakeem Olajuwon arriving at U of Houston. He redshirted one year and played sparingly the next, then he became a force leading the Cougars to two Final Fours. He had only played one year in Nigeria before coming to the U.S. Jobe is going to be a project, but if he has agility and a work ethic then he may be worth the investment.

• eric robinson #6

Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 6:22 PM EDT

Jobe will be something of a project, I think that was clear from the beginning. But, maybe he can take a redshirt just to take coaching. If not, I’m confident he’ll give the team everything he has, and make a contribution. For Crean’s first couple of years, that’s what we need. And he has the uncoachable virtue–size–so he may surprise us and be even better than we’re anticipating. I’m glad to have him!

• Jack #7

Monday, December 1, 2008 - 11:43 PM EDT

That guy is just absolutely massive. I agree with your observation, Chet, that he’s closer to 7,9″ than 7,7″. His head nearly touches the net under the rim! I remember during the dunk Psycho T gave to him, Kenny was just standing flatfooted with his arms up and his fingertips where above the rim! This guy has a unreal 8,5 1/2 wingspan! It’s certain you don’t get somebody with his physical attributes very often at all!

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football