Porter out after wrist surgery

10 comments by   |   Tuesday, October 7, 2008 - 6:29 pm EDT

UPDATE: The Saints have put Tracy Porter on the injured reserve list, meaning that after a fast start to his NFL career this season, now he’s out of the year.

——————–

From the Associated Press:

METAIRIE, La. — New Orleans Saints cornerback Tracy Porter underwent surgery on what coach Sean Payton described as a dislocated right wrist, but it was not clear Tuesday how long the rookie starter would be out.

“He had a procedure to put it back in place,” Payton said. “I don’t want to speculate, but I know the procedure went well.”

Porter hurt the wrist while attempting to defend a desperation heave by Minnesota’s Gus Frerotte on Monday night. Bernard Berrian caught the pass for the tying touchdown as he collided with teammate Aundrae Allison, Porter and Saints safety Josh Bullocks near the goal line. The Vikings went on to win, 30-27.

Defensive backs sometimes play with soft casts after similar injuries, but Payton did not sound optimistic about Porter’s chances of returning for Sunday’s game against Oakland.

“It required surgery to get it back in place, which is not good,” Payton said.

Porter was the Saints’ second-round draft pick last spring and won the starting job in training camp. Through the first five games of the season, he’s been credited with 25 tackles, including a sack, to go with one interception and five passes defended.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Related content: Read more in Football

Tegray Scales, T.J. Simmons video from Monday
Cody Zeller, Shane Wynn and the tale of Nick Stoner's wild, wacky trip home from Missouri
News and notes from Kevin Wilson's Monday availability
North Texas game to kick at 2:30 on BTN
Tegray Scales named Big Ten co-Freshman of the Week
Joe
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 8:18 AM EDT

Sure seems like many of the few IU grads that go onto the NFL get hurt right away and have their potentially-promising careers derailed.

Maybe that’s just me….

BottleRocket
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 9:55 AM EDT

Joe–Who are you thinking of? The more recent ones that immediately come to mind for me are Randle El, Ogunleye, Kris Dielman & Trent Green. The first 3 have been pretty active since going pro and Green has managed to put together a 14-year career so far.

Now that I’m thinking about this, who was the IU that was recently a backup QB in Seattle for a few years? I’m completely drawing a blank on his name.

J Pat
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 10:19 AM EDT

was it Hamden???

BottleRocket
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 11:59 AM EDT

Yes! Gibran Hamdan! Thanks J Pat. That was gonna bother me all day.

It’s sometimes easier to think about IU players in the NFL than actual work.

J Pat
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 12:06 PM EDT

Bottle, you bring good memories back man. It was 6 years ago or so and IU was playing A top 25 Wisky team in Bloomington. IU was down 3 touchdowns or so in the start of the fourth quarter. Keep in mind I am sitting with my wife in the end zone with the Wisky students and band. They passed a blow up doll around and talked trash the ENTIRE game. It was awful!!! I was as sober as day as it was an 11 AM kickoff and after Hamden lead IU to victory that day I took my sweatshirt off waving it around and let every single Wisky fan know about it! The main chant was WHO’S YOUR DADDY and all I kept screaming was WHO’S YOUR DADDY NOW??? My wife was mortified but I guarantee those kids still talk about me today.

BottleRocket
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 3:09 PM EDT

You know, I remember that game! That was a time when I couldn’t get to Bloomington for games but watched on TV as much as possible. I remember thinking, Wow, who is this kid?

Lo & behold, I was shocked about 2 seasons ago when I saw Hamdan’s name on the Seattle roster. For years I’ve tried to keep an eye on Hoosiers in the NFL but, somehow, I had no idea Hamdan was floating around out there.

FTR, He’s currently listed on the Buffalo roster.

KevinK
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 7:55 PM EDT

Good for you JPat! Now if I can just live long enough to embarrass my wife thoroughly like that at an Ohio State game at the Rock!!!!

Oh my, that would be a GLORIOUS day!!!!

Too bad about Tracy P., he was playing pretty well for them too.

J Pat
Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 7:56 AM EDT

Kevin, if that ever happens we can meet at Nick’s for a BEER!

KevinK
Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 8:46 PM EDT

and I’ll BUY!!!!

BottleRocket
Friday, October 10, 2008 - 8:46 AM EDT

I would be hard-pressed to find anything more pleasing than taking my dad to the Rock & have him witness a Hoosier beatdown on the Buckeyes. I would probably become insufferable at every Xmas for the next 10 years.

Comments

• Football. #IUFB Players of the Game: Missouri - Twelve total Hoosiers were recognized on offense, defense, special teams and scout teams for helping Indiana pull off a 31-27 win at Missouri last
  • W. Golf. Individuals Compete at Cardinal Classic - The Indiana women's golf team sent four individuals to compete at the 36-hole Cardinal Classic, hosted by Ball State at The Players Club in Yorktown,
  • Ten Takeaways - A Hall and Oates reference, a Cody Zeller congratulatory text that went awry, putting the
  • Coach TV: Wilson, staff look to build on big win - Earlier this afternoon Indiana head coach Kevin Wilson and coordinators Kevin Johns and Brian Knorr met
  • 2014-2015 ITH season preview: Purdue Boilermakers -

With the start of college basketball season on the horizon, we’ll be taking a long look at the conference at large as well as Indiana’s roster over the next month. Today,

• 2014-2015 ITH season preview: Northwestern Wildcats -

• Q&A: Catching up with Max Hoetzel - Indiana freshman Max Hoetzel sat down with IUHoosiers.com this week to talk about his early adjustments to
  • Mosquera-Perea to do community service - Hanner Mosquera-Perea has accepted a plea agreement stemming from his February arrest for
  • B1G Bowl Projections: WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?
  • Indiana 31, Missouri 27: When a Good Defense Shows Up, Our Offense Can Do the Rest