Indiana gets commitment from 2010 recruit

*There’s some discrepancy over Williams’ stats, and he may not have averaged nearly as many points.

Sometimes, the recruiting process moves slowly.

Other times, it happens as it did today for Indiana and David Williams, a 6-7 wing from Jacksonville, Fla.

The Hoosiers offered a scholarship. He accepted.

In doing so, Williams (who averaged 21 points and 11 rebounds a game last year for First Coast High School, which won its first ever district title) became the first player to pledge to join the 2010 class.

“Indiana is just a school that everybody knows, and it is every player’s dream to play at a place like that,” Williams told me moments ago.

Williams plays AAU basketball for the Atlantic Celtics, an organization that Indiana assistant Roshown McCleod was close with before being hired late last summer. Indiana head coach Tom Crean was accompanied by McLeod in Florida today and the duo saw Williams work out at the high school.

“I knew coach Ro and knew that he would be part of an exciting team that would want to get up the floor,” Williams said.

His high school coach, Charles J. Showers, said he thought Williams would thrive as a big guard in the Big Ten.

“He liked the style of play in the conference,” Showers said. “He’s a big-time player who likes to play against other big-time players. That’s what he was looking for, and he found it with a great program.”

Showers said Williams has a 3.8 GPA and was a leader for his high school team.

• Andy says:

This makes NO sense. I am pissed right now. We have limited scholarships for the next two years and we give one to this kid. What the hell Crean!

• Jordan says:

Without having seen him play, I think it’s best we wait to judge him. As was proven this year, transfers happen and we won’t really know the scholarship situation for 2010 until this next season is over with. And if I remember correctly, a certain point guard gained a lot of ground with the recruiting services in his senior year. Let’s wait and see.

• Andy says:

This makes No sense. I am not happy right now. We have limited scholarships for the next TWO years and we give one to this kid. Crean has me befuddled.

• Chuck says:

Andy, give the kid a chance. Dwayne Wade was on noone’s radar either at one time. If we would have waited on Hulls, he would have been at Duke. I don’t think Crean would have offered unless he saw something in the kid. I for one fully support the coaching staff. Lets all wait and see. You have to have talent to average 21 pts. and 11 boards in any league.

• Andy says:

Crean is at Indiana. He doesn’t need to take a chance on an “up and comer” when there are plenty of legitimate top-notch prospects that are interested in the program. That being said this kid does sound a lot like Calbert Cheaney, being left-handed, 6’7″, and holding a 3.8 GPA.

• lester says:

i get the impression that coach crean saw this player he may have enormous potenial.he maybe 6-8 before he gets to iu.

• Austin says:

Jessan Ashley-Grey redux. Crean should scout for himself and not rely on McCleod. Just because Roshown knows him does not make him worthy of a scholly. We do not need to be giving precious schollies to Roshown’s peeps.

• Tim says:

Agree Lester…Crean was in Florida and likely saw him play last week.

• Dave says:

Sounds like he could turn out to be a Terrence Williams (UofL) type player. Those stats are very good. He is very versatile and a point-forward.

• Mark says:

Crean has seen him play, Austin.

• Caleb says:

The more I am hearing about him the more I like the signing. I know we have all been caught up in the “oh my God we have a top-rated recruiting class”, but there are A LOT of diamonds in the rough out there. And if you are taking a chance on a kid it seems like a 6’7″ wing with PG ball skills who still has a ton of potential and is a great student seems like a solid chance to take.

I know you all want it to be Eric Gordon we are signing every time you see a commit, but you should try and get over that way of thinking. This kid is obviously a ball player. Roshown got it on Crean’s radar and Tom saw it himself and decided to try to scoop him up before word got out too much.

From what I have heard he has Deshaun Thomas game with maybe a better handle but perhaps not that type of scorer yet. According to Evan he has great defensive abilities as well.

Its funny that very few had even heard of Jordan Hulls before we offered him as well. Now he is a top 50 guy nationally. Besides, NONE of us have seen him play, but Coach has. That should be enough for you to take a moment before talking out of your A$$.

• Chris Korman says:

Crean saw him play last year for the Celtics — since they are one of the programs that coaches follow closely at all times — and again today in a workout at the school.

• Mark S says:

Hey Teague, come to IU and play with a 2 star recruit. That’s real appealing isn’t it? Makes you jump right up and call Crean and verbal right? I’m trying to see both sides here, but this is a guy we would sign if this was last year and he was an incoming freshman, but this isn’t last year. This indicates to me how far we have fallen in the eyes of recruits. Nobody signed for 2010 and we offer a 2 star recruit. Give me a break. I hope this kid turns out to be awesome and proves me wrong; but I’m not betting on it. We don’t need any more projects. Crean seems to talk the talk, but I’m starting to wonder if he actually does get it.

• KHR says:

Woooahh Mark. While recruiting services are actually fairly accurate in the aggregate, they arent always right. It is a fact that the kid has grown very recently and could be a far different guard at 6’7 or 6’8 than he was at 6’5. Now I agree I was hoping for bigger names as well, but with the recent growth spirt, he may be a completely different player.

• Dave says:

Was he being recruited by Billy Donavan at Florida, or FSU or anyone else from the ACC? Maybe he’ll fit as a role player with this year’s class of “stars’, there’ll need to be some role players.

Heard Teague’s going to Purdue.

• Casey says:

I’m pretty sure no one commenting on this post has seen this guy play. If you like and support Crean as the coach of Indiana University, then you should rely on that reasoning in your support of his decisions, especially when it comes to recruits — a topic in which it’s extremely difficult to gain a lot of knowledge when on the outside. Recruiting is about more than just luring 5-star players to a school. You also need those solid players that will fill a needed role and who will stick around for four years. Maybe this is one of those guys. Please stop rushing to judgement. Crean knows more about basketball than anyone who’s posted on this site.

• Ben says:

Good call Casey, I think Crean knows what he’s doing. He did get us a top 10 recruiting class for next year…

• Casey says:

Ben,

Exactly. And given this year’s apparently highly talented class, we’ll certainly need players in the future who are solid in all areas, but not necessarily spectacular. Those are the types of players who won’t expect to outshine more highly touted players, and who will undoubtedly do many of the little things that can turn a good team into a great team. And who knows, maybe he’ll turn out to be a great player. Recruiting is always a gamble. Tons of huge prospects turn out to be flops.

• GFDave says:

I’m just as surprised as everybody else because we haven’t been hearing about this kid. Bigger names have been on our radar and Williams hasn’t been. But I do think its a little early to be pissed. Way early. My bet is David can play a little and 6’7″ wing players are nice to have. But the real deal is that Crean is our coach and we’re going forward with him, so I suggest that everybody take a deep breath and support the man.

• Zach says:

Crean’s track record points to the fact that he’s good at finding diamonds in the rough (Wade, Hulls), and that’s all I need to know.

• BC says:

I trust Crean’s judgment, but I was hoping for a higher ranked player, and someone who was more in the 6’11 range. Maybe he’ll be a Robbie Hummel type player.

• lester says:

i heard from a source that he is like jamarcus ellis but not without the stuff he done.plus i could still get ferguson irving in 2010

• HiggiStardust says:

Wow…that must have been one hell of a work out the other day! I guess that is pretty much a big “No” to the question: Is IU looking to continue recuiting any other players for the ’09 class now that Nick Williams is leaving, e.g. Deshawn Painter? Let’s just hope we can land Irving and/or Ferguson for ’10…

• Bettor says:

Another 6’7″ player. Does Crean know that you’re supposed to have BIG MEN?

• Jordan says:

No Bettor, Crean doesn’t realize this. And he’s really glad he has you to remind him.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

• Hoosier Clarion:

...and my thoughts are a mirror to yours with those same names...it is [...]

• Mike Miller:

HC, yeah, me too. I've had some folks go out of their way to talk abou [...]

• Hoosier Clarion:

I agree with Lindy's about RB Cole Gest. [...]

• I U South:

I see that I will be selling some my tickets to these preseason games, [...]

• t:

What a great strategy to balance out wins with losses baring an upset [...]

• vesuvius13:

I should have said Nebraska's defense wasn't as bad - I tend to leave [...]

• vesuvius13:

One thing I don't get is how they rate Nebraska moving up so much whil [...]