Kellen Lewis dismissed from Indiana football team

Senior Kellen Lewis, one of the most successful football players in Indiana history, has been dismissed from the program.

The school announced the move with the following news release:

KELLEN LEWIS DISMISSED FROM INDIANA FOOTBALL TEAM

Bloomington, Indiana—Indiana University football coach Bill Lynch announced today that Kellen Lewis has been dismissed from the team for violating team rules.

“We are disappointed to have to make this decision,” said Lynch. “When you have expectations of those on your team that are not met, you need to do what is ultimately in the overall best interest of your program.”

IU Vice President and Director of Athletics Fred Glass supported Lynch’s stance on the situation.

“Today’s action underscores that no individual student-athlete, regardless of talent or popularity, is above the expectations of Indiana University,” added Glass.

Lewis, who holds 16 major school records at quarterback but was used as a wide receiver during the recently completed spring practice session, could possibly transfer to a Division I-AA (or lower) program to finish out his remaining year of eligibility. But he could also enter his name in the NFL Supplemental draft this summer and hope to be selected by a team intrigued with his speed and elusiveness.

Lewis could not be reached for comment Wednesday. Lynch and Glass refused further comment through a department spokesman.

Lewis missed all of spring practice in 2008, also for violating an unnamed team rule, and had to earn his way back onto the team. He later told reporters that he had not been attending off-season meetings or workouts and had become lax with his school work, in part because of the fame his success had brought him.

He threw more touchdown passes (48) than any player in school history and is third in passing yards (6,395) and second in total yards (8,072) in the Indiana record book.

• J Pat says:

Really sad to see him go, really sad. As I said after the spring game, I think he was 3rd best at best on the field and IU is deep at WR. I am not worried and wish him the best!

• Jimmy says:

Yeah, the team should be ok as we are deep at WR and seem to have better leadership, but its sad to see Kellen’s career end this way.

• Doug says:

Kellen was probably worth a win or 2 so now we will be 1 and 11 instead of 3 and 9 Goodluck Kellen in the XFL! Oh ya that no longer exists!

• Dynasty says:

Kellen, I hope you read this, athletes like you need to stop messing up your lives and STOP SMOKING WEED, MY GOSH.

• Casey says:

I never understood how his “fame” caused him to be laxed in practice and in the classroom. Granted, he’s talented and athletic, but being one of the better quarterbacks within the IU football program’s history is not exactly the same as being a top quarterback in almost any other program. AND, it’s not as if he led the team to widespread success or a jaw-dropping record. I just don’t understand.

• Swampy says:

Stay out of trouble, kid. Don’t make mistakes in the next few months and years that you’ll spend the rest of your life regretting.

• Sam says:

It’s always a shame when young people waste their lives and their opportunities. Kellen should have learned his lesson already. Stupid. I don’t know what else you can call it but stupid.

• RJH says:

O Kellen….. what a talent wasted(pun intended)

• Zach says:

You know it’s spring time when Kellen Lewis gets kicked off the Indiana football team.

• John says:

His fame messed him up before??? I’ve never even heard of the guy, and live in Bloomington. What’s that say about Indiana football?

• Mike P. says:

Why am I not surprised?

• Jeff says:

What a loser he is. A worthless piece of crap. It’s good to see him go. This will be Lynch’s last season and then another 5 years or so of paying a coach to not work. We should have fired him this year and hired the Ball State coach.

• Mike P. says:

Tell us how you really feel Jeff.

• Dave says:

Nice post from a coward, Jeff.

• HiggiStardust says:

Kellen Lewis must be related to Plaxico Burress…except Kellen has shot himself in the foot with this latest blunder!

• Btown says:

Kellen had every opportunity to become a good player and have a chance to play NFL football and he threw it all away, presumably for drugs. I’ve heard a lot of stories about Kellen and some of the former basketball players partaking in activities that Crean and Lynch didn’t approve of.

• KevinK says:

sadly these are seldom isolated incidents. Does IU have a larger problem here?

I certainly hope not!

Go Hoosiers!!

• Wisco says:

I agree that Kellen has made some idiotic choices, Jeff. Especially after being given a second chance.

On the other hand, while I’m not 100% about Bill Lynch either way, I feel this decision shows yet again he is a man of integrity. This may indeed be his last season, but I just find it as an odd time to bash on him when it seems like this should be the sort of leadership we want at IU.

• JOHN says:

I guess Kellen will now have all the time in the world to hang out at the local bars and not have to worry about early workouts or attending those pesky classes!!

• Jimmy says:

Stay classy, Jeff.

• Gary says:

I wish KL the best, but he clearly had a second chance and did not take advantage of it!! I hope this is a case of “addition by subtraction!”

• bhss73 says:

Well I guess the State of Indiana will be supporting his kid for a while longer.

Look for Kellin at your local Krogers in 3 yrs as a bagger.

• coachv says:

rjh, what exactly is the pun there? zach, now that’s funny.

and whoever it was suggesting we should have hired the ball st. coach, i think we should have made a run at cincinnati coach brian kelly. indiana is probably considered a step backwards for your career at this point. jeez. it wasn’t that long ago cincinnati was on the verge of disbanding the football program due to futility.

• IU Alumni again says:

I can see Glass is going to change the environment! This is a problem that has festered long enough… now the athletes can see there will be consequences for their decisions…

• Chad says:

Very disappointed. He had a second chance and blew it! Good luck Kellen, obviously, we are better off without you. It’s going to be a tough year but I support the team anyway.

Comments are closed.

WIll Indiana make the NCAA Tournament?

IU vs Michigan State men's basketball

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

And then this happens..Just a spineless display in the second half. [...]

• t:

The way to beat IU is to out physical and mental tough them. Wait til [...]

• Jeff H:

It would just be awesome if one time on the road against MSU or Maryla [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

coachw- I find the pointless BIG Tourney destructively boring..It t [...]

• Hoosier 86:

V13- good points about the kickers and punters. I agree they are too [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

Don't hear much from Jeremy [...]

• Chet:

Don't encourage him. He'll be speaking in tongues before you know it. [...]

Find Kentucky basketball coverage on VaughtsViews.com - Find Notre Dame football coverage on NDInsider.com. © Hoosier Times Inc., all rights reserved.