Kellen Lewis dismissed from Indiana football team

Senior Kellen Lewis, one of the most successful football players in Indiana history, has been dismissed from the program.

The school announced the move with the following news release:

KELLEN LEWIS DISMISSED FROM INDIANA FOOTBALL TEAM

Bloomington, Indiana—Indiana University football coach Bill Lynch announced today that Kellen Lewis has been dismissed from the team for violating team rules.

“We are disappointed to have to make this decision,” said Lynch. “When you have expectations of those on your team that are not met, you need to do what is ultimately in the overall best interest of your program.”

IU Vice President and Director of Athletics Fred Glass supported Lynch’s stance on the situation.

“Today’s action underscores that no individual student-athlete, regardless of talent or popularity, is above the expectations of Indiana University,” added Glass.

Lewis, who holds 16 major school records at quarterback but was used as a wide receiver during the recently completed spring practice session, could possibly transfer to a Division I-AA (or lower) program to finish out his remaining year of eligibility. But he could also enter his name in the NFL Supplemental draft this summer and hope to be selected by a team intrigued with his speed and elusiveness.

Lewis could not be reached for comment Wednesday. Lynch and Glass refused further comment through a department spokesman.

Lewis missed all of spring practice in 2008, also for violating an unnamed team rule, and had to earn his way back onto the team. He later told reporters that he had not been attending off-season meetings or workouts and had become lax with his school work, in part because of the fame his success had brought him.

He threw more touchdown passes (48) than any player in school history and is third in passing yards (6,395) and second in total yards (8,072) in the Indiana record book.

• J Pat #1

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 6:37 PM EDT

Really sad to see him go, really sad. As I said after the spring game, I think he was 3rd best at best on the field and IU is deep at WR. I am not worried and wish him the best!

• Jimmy #2

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 6:39 PM EDT

Yeah, the team should be ok as we are deep at WR and seem to have better leadership, but its sad to see Kellen’s career end this way.

• Doug #3

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 6:53 PM EDT

Kellen was probably worth a win or 2 so now we will be 1 and 11 instead of 3 and 9 Goodluck Kellen in the XFL! Oh ya that no longer exists!

• Dynasty #4

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 6:53 PM EDT

Kellen, I hope you read this, athletes like you need to stop messing up your lives and STOP SMOKING WEED, MY GOSH.

• Casey #5

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 6:59 PM EDT

I never understood how his “fame” caused him to be laxed in practice and in the classroom. Granted, he’s talented and athletic, but being one of the better quarterbacks within the IU football program’s history is not exactly the same as being a top quarterback in almost any other program. AND, it’s not as if he led the team to widespread success or a jaw-dropping record. I just don’t understand.

• Swampy #6

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 7:03 PM EDT

Stay out of trouble, kid. Don’t make mistakes in the next few months and years that you’ll spend the rest of your life regretting.

• Sam #7

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 7:16 PM EDT

It’s always a shame when young people waste their lives and their opportunities. Kellen should have learned his lesson already. Stupid. I don’t know what else you can call it but stupid.

• RJH #8

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 7:29 PM EDT

O Kellen….. what a talent wasted(pun intended)

• Zach #9

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 7:39 PM EDT

You know it’s spring time when Kellen Lewis gets kicked off the Indiana football team.

• John #10

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 7:41 PM EDT

His fame messed him up before??? I’ve never even heard of the guy, and live in Bloomington. What’s that say about Indiana football?

• Mike P. #11

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 7:48 PM EDT

Why am I not surprised?

• Jeff #12

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 7:56 PM EDT

What a loser he is. A worthless piece of crap. It’s good to see him go. This will be Lynch’s last season and then another 5 years or so of paying a coach to not work. We should have fired him this year and hired the Ball State coach.

• Mike P. #13

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 8:32 PM EDT

Tell us how you really feel Jeff.

• Dave #14

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 9:10 PM EDT

Nice post from a coward, Jeff.

• HiggiStardust #15

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 9:10 PM EDT

Kellen Lewis must be related to Plaxico Burress…except Kellen has shot himself in the foot with this latest blunder!

• Btown #16

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 9:37 PM EDT

Kellen had every opportunity to become a good player and have a chance to play NFL football and he threw it all away, presumably for drugs. I’ve heard a lot of stories about Kellen and some of the former basketball players partaking in activities that Crean and Lynch didn’t approve of.

• KevinK #17

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 9:50 PM EDT

sadly these are seldom isolated incidents. Does IU have a larger problem here?

I certainly hope not!

Go Hoosiers!!

• Wisco #18

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:10 PM EDT

I agree that Kellen has made some idiotic choices, Jeff. Especially after being given a second chance.

On the other hand, while I’m not 100% about Bill Lynch either way, I feel this decision shows yet again he is a man of integrity. This may indeed be his last season, but I just find it as an odd time to bash on him when it seems like this should be the sort of leadership we want at IU.

• JOHN #19

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:13 PM EDT

I guess Kellen will now have all the time in the world to hang out at the local bars and not have to worry about early workouts or attending those pesky classes!!

• Jimmy #20

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:23 PM EDT

Stay classy, Jeff.

• Gary #21

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:23 PM EDT

I wish KL the best, but he clearly had a second chance and did not take advantage of it!! I hope this is a case of “addition by subtraction!”

• bhss73 #22

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:24 PM EDT

Well I guess the State of Indiana will be supporting his kid for a while longer.

Look for Kellin at your local Krogers in 3 yrs as a bagger.

• coachv #23

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:33 PM EDT

rjh, what exactly is the pun there? zach, now that’s funny.

and whoever it was suggesting we should have hired the ball st. coach, i think we should have made a run at cincinnati coach brian kelly. indiana is probably considered a step backwards for your career at this point. jeez. it wasn’t that long ago cincinnati was on the verge of disbanding the football program due to futility.

• IU Alumni again #24

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:42 PM EDT

I can see Glass is going to change the environment! This is a problem that has festered long enough… now the athletes can see there will be consequences for their decisions…

• Chad #25

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:57 PM EDT

Very disappointed. He had a second chance and blew it! Good luck Kellen, obviously, we are better off without you. It’s going to be a tough year but I support the team anyway.

• Jim #26

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 11:48 PM EDT

This just makes me sick. Even though he didn’t really shine in the spring practice game, I did think the combination of him at WR and Ben Chappell at QB was going to work. We do have others who can fill the WR spot well, but what a waste. I do wish Kellen the best and hope he can get himself straightened out and find success again.

• ChronicHoosier #27

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 11:54 PM EDT

Tom Crean (tweeting (like a maniac tonight)) on Lewis:
    “Opportunities like Indiana ar VERY SPECIAL AND HAVE TO BE TREATED AS SUCH.”
    “You have to work as a Head Coach and as a staff to make sure you have NO SOFT SPOTS IN YOUR CULTURE!”

Solid assessment, coach. Go Hoosiers!

• here's my anonymous opinion #28

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 12:53 AM EDT

While Kellen obviously has problems because he has been dismissed, but we, in no way, have credible evidence as to what those problems might be.

Lynch, whether you agree with him or no, is an honest man who wants to win. He has only tried to do the best for his team, whether it has worked or not is arguable. But let’s not use this dismissal as a means to attack the coach.

And let’s not use it as a means to attack the player. People make mistakes, especially young adults, and clearly Kellen has made his. But let’s not trash him, instead hope he finds a way to learn from them and that he can make a good man of himself, whether he is playing football or no.

Best wishes Kellen. When you were good we backed you. I am sorry we haven’t done the same when you haven’t been.

• BC #29

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 1:35 AM EDT

John, I think it says more about you then IU football. If you did no more then read the headlines in the sports page for the last 2 years you would have heard of Kellen Lewis.

• mwolfe #30

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 3:16 AM EDT

I know the coaching staff can’t baby sit the entire football team, but didn’t someone have any idea this was going on? I realize that students need to be personally responsible so KL will now pay the consequences…what a wasted opportunity for the young man. He obviously learned very little from his previous dismissal. I guess he realized he had numerous other opportunities in this current economy. I hope the rest of the team gets the message load and clear.

• here's my anonymous opinion #31

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 3:19 AM EDT

definitely load and clear

• Aruss #32

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 6:41 AM EDT

• Mike W #33

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 7:31 AM EDT

Man, that does suck. I feel bad for the kid on one hand and contempt on the other. Lynch gave him a 2nd chance after last season and he pissed it away. Very sad. I hope he gets his drug and party lifestyle problem in check.

I was at the scrimmage a couple weeks ago and took pics of him getting interviewed while down on the field after the game. He looked pretty decent at wide receiver. I was excited to see what he could do outside. But, he’s let us down for the 2nd time in a year. So….ciao, Kellen! Good luck in getting your life in order because that is 100 times more important than football!

• Mike P. #34

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 8:25 AM EDT

“A decision that was a year too late and probably cost us wins last year. With KL finally gone, look for a tighter team with Chap now being the unquestioned leader.” – Aruss

The end of existence as we know it is near. The time to repent is HERE!

I actually agree with a statement from Aruss.

• Johnny Blaze #35

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 9:42 AM EDT

I have identified one of the major issues here… The weed in Bloomington is WAYYYY too good. Someone needs to ship in a few kilo’s of schwag.

• Bettor #36

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 11:42 AM EDT

Back to the FADE list for IU!

• KevinK #37

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 8:10 PM EDT

Mike P???

Is that really you?

I am just curious which win(s) you think the KL situation caused us last year? In which of those games was he going to be worth 35+ points?

Not seeing it.

I think he is/was more of a symptom than a problem.

• KevinK #38

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 8:22 PM EDT

Senior Kellen Lewis, “one of the most successful football players in Indiana history”, has been dismissed from the program.

I think that is an overstatement. Especially if success is defined by WINNING.

• Mike P. #39

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 10:48 PM EDT

KevinK,

Winning games is not just what happens on the field. Kellen being gone all spring last year, allowed back and then made the starter a week before the first game did majorly mess up the chemistry of this team.

Those things create losses. This is also one of those hindsight is 20/20 things.

I agree it was a year too late (hindsight) and the team will be tighter and have better chemistry with Chappell as the leader this year. Lewis costing us wins? I can’t say he cost them directly, but he didn’t do a damn thing to help either.

• HuskyTom #40

Friday, May 1, 2009 - 1:42 PM EDT

It’s a win-win if you ask me. If Kellen leaving helps us develop other talent quicker, all the better. If his release helps us lose more games and get Lynch fired, it will be a blessing in disguise.

• Jimmy #41

Friday, May 1, 2009 - 5:05 PM EDT

Oh, so you want IU to lose. That’s nice.

• HuskyTom #42

Saturday, May 2, 2009 - 3:18 PM EDT

What I don’t want is perpetual below-mediocrity, Jimbo. Although you and Aruss are happy with 3 wins a year and a bad bowl loss every decade (“Hey, that’s just Indiana football”, you say), most of us here are willing to take one step backwards in order to take two steps forward. Things need to get worse in order for them to get better sometimes.

• JeremyK #43

Saturday, May 2, 2009 - 10:00 PM EDT

I certainly don’t think it’s right to hope that your team loses. That sort of defeatist attitude doesn’t help anything.

• KevinK #44

Saturday, May 2, 2009 - 10:04 PM EDT

MikeP,
    I agree with your most recent post completely.

Just had to dig you a little for admitting to agreeing with you know who.

and I agree with Jeremy too that we should not root against IU to spite Lynch.

I hope he/they win big. I’m very skeptical right now that’s all.

Go Hoosiers!!

• classic tall boots #45

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 11:05 AM EDT

• Five Fingers shoes #46

Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 5:51 AM EDT

After his tee shot went long and left, McIlroy was again with Five Fingers KSO the sand. Quickly elevating his shot from Mens FiveFingers KSO a downhill slope way up the hill to the green, McIlroy was able to make an outstanding save again. He remains at 10-under.After Bubba Watson landed in the water hazard short of Five Fingers KSO sale18 green, Martin Kaymer chipped out of the rough, hit his third shot from 190 yards to the green, then two-putted to win the championship.It wasn’t without drama, though FiveFingers KSO shoes. Watson hit his fourth shot over the green and into a bunker. Hitting his fifth shot Vibram Five KSO, Watson nearly holed it by hitting the flagstick. In the end, though, it wasn’t meant to be and Martin Kaymer is the 2010 PGA Champion.

• vibram five fingers #47

Thursday, September 2, 2010 - 1:59 AM EDT

vibram five fingers
    vibram fivefingers
    vibram five fingers sale
    vibram soles
    vibram shoes
    Really trustworthy blog. Please keep updating with great posts like this one. I have booked marked your site and am about to email it to a few friends of mine that I know would enjoy reading..

• vibram five fingers #48

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 8:14 AM EDT

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football