Crean In Indy

5 comments by   |   Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 8:55 pm EDT

INDIANAPOLIS — Tom Crean was in Indianapolis tonight for the last installment of Indiana’s Tailgate Tour. Before a typically rousing speech, to the supporters in attendance, he spoke on an array of topics, which follow.

The eligibility of Maurice Creek and Bawa Maniru: “There’s some technicalities with it. We’re looking forward to them being cleared very soon. We don’t have any reason to believe that they won’t be. it’s just a matter of it getting done. The paperwork that goes into it, it’s all there. Hopefully we won’t have to revise their schedule at all. Right now I can’t tell you exactly what we’ll do there. We’re going to wait and hope we hear something by the end of this week or the latest hopefully by the beginning of next week, I’ll be disappointed if we don’t hear something by then, that they’ll be cleared and ready to go.”

On Bobby Knight’s induction to the Indiana Hall of Fame: “I was all for it. It’s just a matter of looking out and saying ‘Let’s get it done.’ I think it will be fantastic to be able to walk into that building and have people walk into that building and know that their coach is honored with all of the other greats at Indiana, because certainly it’s one thing to have him in the Naismith Hall of Fame, but with everything he did at Indiana, the shelf’s not full yet. Let’s get the shelf full and get him in there.”

On whether he plans to reach out to Knight: “I don’t think that’s what’s important. I think he knows, I would hope that he knows what I feel about him based on things that I’ve said, based on the ways we’ve acted, and based on the ways that we’re trying to represent the program and the past and the tradition of the program. … I think it’s just a matter of allowing whatever has to happen to happen.”

On his weekend in Marquette: “I don’t look at it as weird, it was just a little different to go back into Marquette where for nine years I had a hand in everything that we  did there. That’s not the case anymore. But that’s OK. The most important thing for me was to go back and be with my team and see my athletic director go in the hall of fame as well and just be a part of that.”

On his knee: “It’s coming. I rehab. It’s just another way for me to be able to sell Dr. Ahlfield and Tim Garl. I’m living proof that we’ve got an incredible professional staff and training staff.”

Crean said the Hoosiers will begin individual workouts Monday. He also told the assembled audience that he picked up a speeding ticket on the way to Indy (doing 77 in a 60) and that he was hoping Fred Glass’s law expertise might help him through that.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Former Indiana player Mike Woodson fired by the Knicks
Video: Future Hoosiers at Derby Festival Classic
ScoopTalk: Indiana gets a big man
Hoetzel, Johnson take shot at Derby Festival Classic
Arizona center commits to Indiana
dick army
Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 2:48 AM EDT

How does Tom Crean get a ticket in the state of Indiana, that cop is obviously a PU fan or just a terrible terrible person

Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 9:00 AM EDT

agreed, nobody should be treated equally..

Doug
Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 9:21 AM EDT

Well Dick, Coach needsto win a few more games then last year!! LOL

Eric
Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 10:35 AM EDT

I’m just glad he wasn’t riding with Billy Gillespie.

eric
Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 10:50 AM EDT

This is a different Eric–but yes, at least he wasn’t ‘golfing’ at 2:45am and have a police-related encounter! That’s right, look it up in the Lexington media, he said he and his friend had been golfing. Yeah, maybe they finished their round at 6pm and then started drinking!

Comments

• M. Tennis. Big Ten Men's Tennis Tournament Bracket Released - Hoosiers will battle Minnesota in 7-10 match up on Thursday April 24 at 2:00 p.m. in East
  • M. Golf. Seger, Kollin Earn Top 20 Finishes at Boilermaker Invitational - The Indiana men's golf team registered a team score of 299 in the final round, giving them a total score of 895 for the tournament and a tie for ninth place out of 15 teams at the
  • Jeremiah April commits to IU - Jeremiah April, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Westwind Preparatory Academy in Glendale, Ariz., committed to IU Friday evening. Verbal Commits ranks his as a two-star prospect. I
  • Black Key Bulls, Teter capture Spring Series - Black Key Bulls and Teter captured the men’s and women’s white jerseys, respectively in dominating fashion Saturday, winning in Team Pursuit. In the men’s finals, Black Key
  • Hoosier Newsstand, Apr. 21 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • Top-50 forward to open it up? - Top-50 prospect Jakeenan Gant is currently a Missouri signee. So what are the 6-foot-8 forward's plans now that coach Frank Haith left
  • Recruiting notebook: Indiana watches T.J. Leaf, visits Ryan Anderson -

Indiana’s recruiting efforts on the west coast over the weekend started in Arizona, but they didn’t end there. After landing a commitment from 2014 center Jeremiah

• Video: James Blackmon Jr. Jordan Brand Classic highlights -

James Blackmon Jr. scored 23 points on 10-of-13 shooting for the East squad in its 158-147 win in Friday night’s Jordan Brand Classic at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

• Hoosier Links: April 21, 2014 - In today's Hoosiers Links, there are basketball stories about Robert Johnson and Jeremiah April, as well as a story about IU baseball completing a sweep of Michigan
  • Etherington Finds Perfect Fit - Indiana transfer Austin Etherington has chosen Butler after a visit on
  • Hoosiers Get Commitment from Jeremiah April: Still Have Holes to Fill