Etherington joins 2011 class

[6:55 p.m. UPDATE]

Spoke a little while ago with Etherington.

The big thing he said was that the idea that a scholarship may not always be there (a topic of conversation when he was first offered two months ago) did not play a role in the process.

“I know my family wanted me to stay close, so they could watch me play,” Etherington said during a phone conversation. “I know coach Crean is someone that has proven himself. Playing for him, I won’t have any doubts.

“I just knew I wanted to go to IU. I didn’t want to hold it in.”

Indiana basketball coach Tom Crean received his second commitment in the class of 2011 today from Hamilton Heights junior Austin Etherington, a 6-foot-6 wing who spent the summer playing for Indiana Elite Team Indiana 16-under.

Etherington is a late bloomer in the class, having missed all of his freshman season and all but 13 games of his sophomore season after microfracture surgery.

But what he showed during the end of his sophomore season, Indiana’s elite camp and with Team Indiana is that he is a very good outside shooter with pretty good athleticism.

Scout.com named him the No. 57 player in the class of 2011 prior to the month of July, and No. 12 among small forwards.

Etherington joins Bloomington South guard Matt Carlino in the class.

Combined with 2010 verbal commitment David Williams (Jacksonville, Fla.), Indiana coach Tom Crean has now exhausted the three scholarships he has coming available during the next two seasons (Tijan Jobe, Devan Dumes and Jeremiah Rivers). one scholarship left to give during the next two classes. Duly noted from the commenters, and corrected.

• Sports fan says:

So does this mean there’s no room for Mr. Teague?

• Ricky says:

Well there is always the possibility for transfers, plus if it came down to a decision of Irving or Teague vs. Tijan, I think we all know what would happen

• Sports fan says:

So-does that mean that kids like Hulls should be worried?

• Taco John says:

Tijan Jobe is a senior, he’s gone after this year.

So unless a player leaves the program early for some reason, IU is done through 2011.

• DD says:

Don’t worry. At least one player will leave.

• Logan says:

When Nick Williams left he opened up a scholarship that Crean saved. We still have a scholarship to give.

• Taco John says:

Logan’s right, there’s one left. And it sounds like it’s Irving or bust.

• Casey says:

Logan,

Williams’ and Stories’ departures opened up scholarships that are being used by this year’s incoming class.

We don’t have any scholarships left to give as it stands right now.

• Casey says:

Or were we only one scholarship over in this year’s class before Williams and Story left?

• Logan says:

Bawa was our only oversign. When Story left, Bawa had a scholarship. When Williams left, Crean left that scholarship open for the future.

• Thanks for pointing that out. Updated.

• eric says:

So, those top 75/100 lists that we were poring over a couple weeks ago in which several players listed IU as a possibility were pretty much useless?? All these players we’ve been discussing (Irving, Zeller, Ferguson, Teague, many others) can’t come anyway because we don’t have room barring transfers? Why is it such a big topic of conversation if we can’t get any of those guys anyway?

• eric says:

Never mind, the error was pointed out and corrected while I was typing. Would we not be better off getting an inside player than another point guard?

• scott says:

why would Jordan Hulls be worried? It will not effect him would it?

• Mark says:

Let Crean worry about the scholarship situation. He knows what he’s doing. Besides my hunch is either Bawa or Creek won’t be at IU in the fall. If they aren’t there yet, I have doubts they will be there. I may be wrong, but gut feeling says we will have another scholly available.

• Our scholarship situation is far more fluid than most are comfortable acknowledging. There will be room for Irving, Teague & Zeller if they accept, I promise you. If the talent ceiling is high enough, there will be room to increase the potency of our roster.

• BTW- Austin also stated today that his AAU teammate, Jeremiah Davis, is close to commiting to IU. Add Davis to the list of those we’d make room for.

• porto1 says:

Nice to see some of these talented Indiana kids staying in-state for a change.

• IUTennis says:

I’d rather have Kyrie Irving than Jeremiah Davis. Looks like Teague is outta the picture now. Unless he takes the last available scholarship.

• porto1 says:

IUTennis- There’s a really good chance we’ll get both Irving and Davis.

• Aruss says:

No need to worry about scholly numbers with crean. We’ve seen in the short time he’s been here that he’s prone to run players off.

• Sean says:

That isn’t true aruss. The players that left were Samscum recruits. Crean didn’t make them leave.

As for the Story and Williams transfers, that was due to Creek and Watford coming in. Crean never made any of them leave.

• Sean says:

Man, I hope you are right about Davis ChronicHoosier. He is the REAL DEAL.

• pegscensornazi says:

for all we know arsuss wants lynch to be the ball coach and have crean run out of town for bringing in the top talent in the country.

• Aruss says:

top talent in the country? look who Cal immediately brought into UK then tell me again crean is bringing in the top talent in the country. put the kool aid down.

Comments are closed.

WIll Indiana make the NCAA Tournament?

IU vs Michigan men's basketball

• MikeC:

A couple of things I over looked in my previous game post, Alexia Gass [...]

• t:

T . Moren is an upgrade over Curt Miller. Yes the team is a year olde [...]

• Mwcorne:

Irish, again, at no time did I ever state that coach Miller recruited [...]

• Chet:

So, "Indiana’s all-time starting five" consists of three guards and [...]

• Irish Ballz:

I am right once again. Iowa lost their 3 best players from last year a [...]

• TallGuy15:

I'm still recovering from the mini heart attacks at last night's game. [...]

• Hoosier Clarion:

In the sports section of the February 2nd edition of the Fort Wayne Ne [...]

Find Kentucky basketball coverage on VaughtsViews.com - Find Notre Dame football coverage on NDInsider.com. © Hoosier Times Inc., all rights reserved.