Irving will visit Indiana

Top 2010 target Kyrie Irving will take at least two official visits during the coming months, to Indiana and Duke.

Scout.com’s Dave Telep (subscription required) has the scoop.

Indiana put on the full-court press for the point guard out of New Jersey during July,  often sending two or three coaches to his games.

Irving took an unofficial visit to Indiana in May, when his AAU team played in the Adidas May Classic. He spoke very well of Indiana after that visit, and some thought a commitment was coming.

Irving backed off that talk when I saw in early July, at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Akron, Ohio.

“They’re the same as every other school,” Irving said. “I listed them as my favorite, but I think it was kind of early. Everybody is just balanced.”

He did say at that time that he would not be afraid to commit during an official visit.

“It just depends on the feeling I get when I go on that official visit,” Irving said. “If it is the school for me, I am going to commit.”

Scout.com lists Irving as the No. 2 point guard in the country, and No. 7 overall. Rivals.com has him at No. 14 overall, No. 4 at the point guard position.

Landing Irving would definitely make the class of 2010 a success for Tom Crean, and also help Crean with the class of 2011. The unquestioned No. 1, Michael Gilchrist, told me in July he would like to follow his high school teammate Irving to whatever college they choose.

Gilchrist is crazy talented — he’s a 15-year-old Kevin Garnett.

• porto1 says:

Any idea when Irving will take his visits?

Would love for him to come here for Midnight Madness. And considering Duke doesn’t have a Midnight Madness, that may be a strong possibility.

Be awesome to get Gilchrist as well.

• GFDave says:

So it looks like its between us and Duke. I hope Kyrie comes to IU first so Crean can sweep him off his feet and get him to commit before he ever sets foot in Durham.

The Gilchrist connection is tantalizing. However, package deals have a tendency to fall apart, so I’ll be cautiously optimistic about that.

• Speedway says:

I’ve got a bad feeling about this one, but that’s probably more of a result of losing too many players to Duke, etc. over the past decade or so. I would love to see Irving in Cream and Crimson!

• JL says:

Hopefully he will come to midnight madness! I bet he would love to here assembly hall chanting KYRIE IRVING, KYRIE IRVING. As Crean says “who wouldn’t want to be part of this.”

• eric says:

I suggest we have inter-faith prayer vigil, sending up remonstrations to everyone’s diety of choice to ask for these guys to both attend IU.

Okay maybe that’s a bit extreme, but it sure would be great to give Crean those kinds of players to work with on top of the good recruiting he’s already done. It would be like (Rakeem) Christmas all year long!!!

• Porter says:

If these guys are projected to be such big hotshots, how likely are they to stick around for more than 1 year and actually *build* the program?

• Scott W says:

We need bigs, but this is one guard I would take.

• Casey says:

Porter,

There certainly is a need for players with longevity. In fact, most of our players should want to stick around for three or four years.

But at the same time, no one’s going to win a Big Ten or National Championship with a team full of solid role players. At some point, you have to reel in some start power as well — some true, elite talent.

They may not stay for years and build the program, but they will help it, and will pave the way for better recruiting classes and more success in the future.

Now, let’s hope that how long Irving and Gilchrist will stay at IU actually becomes something we have to worry about.

• dubya says:

Porter,

It only takes one year and a couple of Hotshots to win a title. OSU, Florida, Duke, Syracuse, UNC, UCLA – they have one year wonders every year and they are perennial Sweet Sixteen teams.

I think winning builds programs – doesnt matter if the coaches stay or the players – if you win, people/players will be there!

• Ben W. says:

Still a long way to go before IU gets these two! Duke, Kentucky and others will play roles in this recruitment.

• JeremyK says:

This would be an absolutely HUGE pickup for the Hoosiers even if it is just for a year or two. Land this guy, and I don’t see why we can’t win the Big10 during his freshman year.

• Moose says:

Casey,

I agree that IU will need to recruit some “star” players like Irving in the future to consistently win championships, but I think IU will have some players on the team next year that are more than role players. Watford and Creek come in with much acclaim and Verdell Jones showed at the end of last year that he can play against anyone. These guys can eventually become star players.

Years ago, under Knight, there were many guys who began their career by barely playing at all, but after a few years of good teaching (what coaches need to be good at moreso than recruiting, in my opinion)they would eventually become star players.

Look at the statistics and progression of guys like Ted Kitchel and Daryl Thomas for example. Those guys became “star” players and helped build the program for 4 years. It shows that a good coach can make a good player great. Just because you’re not a blue-chipper out of high school doesn’t mean you won’t become a “star” player.

• BGleas says:

Moose,

I would argue that players like that didn’t develop slowly over their career solely because of the coaching (not saying Knight wasn’t a great coach, he obviously was), but it was also because even the star/NBA caliber players stayed 4 years.

For example, if players stayed longer in the current climate, Creek wouldn’t be coming in as an instant impact player. He’d be coming in as a nice recruit that would be sitting behind EJ for two years and would hopefully develop.

The progression is just sped up now because so many guys leave early. Guys like Daryl Thomas would have progressed much earlier if not sitting behind upperclassmen his first few years.

Yes non blue-chip recruits can become stars, but it’s much less likely than a stud recruit becoming a star.

• Moose says:

BGleas,

You make a good point. I hadn’t thought of that. I guess that the point I was trying to make is that you can be a “star” without being a blue-chipper. This is where the coach and his assistants come into play. They need to make their players better throughout their time at IU (which I think Crean and Co. will will do). Guys like Creek, Watford, Hulls and Elston can all become All-Big Ten players with hard work and coaching, even though they weren’t McDonald’s All-Americans.

• NotanIdiotFan says:

Here we go again “We don’t want one-and-done players”…. Listen up folks, the OLD days are gone. Until we go back to forcing kids to play 3-4 years, we might as well get used to the idea that the talented players will have a big incentive called MONEY to cut college short. Just keep in mind though, that every so often talented kids do stick around. Probably because they are with a good group of team mates, good coaches, and play for a great school. NC, Duke, and Florida all have had recent examples of that.

So like I said, the OLD days are gone. Get used to it and find something else to complain about. Heck I would like to go back to having State Farm/Channel 4 televised Thursday night and Saturday day games. Oh, heck, while I am at it let’s throw in a 20 yr old attractive wife.

• Chet says:

I don’t see Kentucky as being a threat for a while. Coach Cal hasn’t coached a single game and there is already a scandal. Nobody wants to be a part of that.

• Hobbsey says:

•Are you crazy Chet? UK is not going to be a treat for a while (number one class this year). Sounds like you are just hating on them. What scandal are you talking about. IU better hope and pray tha Coach CAL does not want Irving, because if CAL wants him, he well get him.

Chet | August 11th, 2009 at 10:16 pm |

• tommy G says:

chet- please enlighten us to what you mean. I think IU has a great shot at landing Irving and I hope so…better you guys than Duke any day.

• J.D. says:

Why in the world would Crean want a one and done prima donna like Kyrie Irving? Just more indication that like Mike Davis, Crean has to have the stud to even think about winning.

And, like Mike Davis, Crean ain’t landing the studs and personally I hope he goes to Duke.

• Casey says:

J.D.,

The fact that you just compared Tom Crean to Mike Davis invalidates anything you’ve said and ever will say on this site.

I really hope no one else even dignifies your comment with a response.

And a question: what recent national championship team hasn’t had a “stud?”

• BGleas says:

Moose,

I agree, what will take IU to a perennial FF contender will be not only landing players like Irving who can be stars from the get-go, but developing guys like Elston, Creek, Watford, Hulls and Bawa into All Big-Ten players. That’s when we’re talking NC and Final Fours.

JD – I hope that’s sarcasm…If not, it’s just plain stupid.

• eric says:

Hobbsey,

You seem to be really in the know about the UK program. I’m sure you were one of the people who wanted Coach Cal when UK hired Gillispie, when most Kentucky fans weren’t yet desperate enough to overlook Cal’s checkered past. Do you by any chance hang out with World Wide Wes?

• J Pat says:

Hob, if Cal wants him, he will get him…yep with dollar dollar bills yall….hahahahahaha!!!!!!! I will take Crean. It might take him a year or two longer but I will not worry if and when the hammer will be coming down from the NCAA!!! Have fun losing sleep Hob!

• Kyrie has a shot to be the star at Indiana. That combined with the fact that the coaching staff has put the fullcourt press since his first game at Pat’s makes them one of the frontrunners. I’ll support him wherever he goes but it’d be nice to see him cause a resurgence with Coach Crean and IU basketball.

I feel so spoiled being able to watch Kyrie and Michael Gilchrist suit up for St. Pats this year 🙂

• Hobbsey says:

I’m not downing IU or coach Crean he is building a good program. I wanted Donavan from Fl the first time, then CAl but I was happy with Gillispie and i feel like if given enough time he would have build a good program like Crean is doing at IU ( going slow and steady). But you cant say UK is not going to be a treat this year with the number 1 class. Coach CAL has too many eyes on him at UK. He will make sure every BANNER he puts up will count. Trust me their will be no sleep lost here, well maybe from partying to hard from winning all those titles in the near furture (next season) But hey Crean is building a good top 20th program. Later losers.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• Double Down:

Beat me to it Ron. Championship contenders schedule like this. [...]

• Ron:

Somebody show that schedule to CTC. [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

Wow...CNN reported that the average household income in Indiana is $48 [...]

• Chet:

Elliot is very talented. The Cowboys offensive line is, on paper and [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

Maybe, in retrospect, it wasn't such a negative that Ditka didn't give [...]

• iuhoosier1992:

My bad. Chet, Ditka has always said and sometimes with tears in his e [...]

• Chet:

To be fair, he was the class of the dreadful NFC Central for a few yea [...]