Irving will visit Indiana

Top 2010 target Kyrie Irving will take at least two official visits during the coming months, to Indiana and Duke.

Scout.com’s Dave Telep (subscription required) has the scoop.

Indiana put on the full-court press for the point guard out of New Jersey during July,  often sending two or three coaches to his games.

Irving took an unofficial visit to Indiana in May, when his AAU team played in the Adidas May Classic. He spoke very well of Indiana after that visit, and some thought a commitment was coming.

Irving backed off that talk when I saw in early July, at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Akron, Ohio.

“They’re the same as every other school,” Irving said. “I listed them as my favorite, but I think it was kind of early. Everybody is just balanced.”

He did say at that time that he would not be afraid to commit during an official visit.

“It just depends on the feeling I get when I go on that official visit,” Irving said. “If it is the school for me, I am going to commit.”

Scout.com lists Irving as the No. 2 point guard in the country, and No. 7 overall. Rivals.com has him at No. 14 overall, No. 4 at the point guard position.

Landing Irving would definitely make the class of 2010 a success for Tom Crean, and also help Crean with the class of 2011. The unquestioned No. 1, Michael Gilchrist, told me in July he would like to follow his high school teammate Irving to whatever college they choose.

Gilchrist is crazy talented — he’s a 15-year-old Kevin Garnett.

• porto1 #1

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 11:58 AM EDT

Any idea when Irving will take his visits?

Would love for him to come here for Midnight Madness. And considering Duke doesn’t have a Midnight Madness, that may be a strong possibility.

Be awesome to get Gilchrist as well.

• GFDave #2

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 12:02 PM EDT

So it looks like its between us and Duke. I hope Kyrie comes to IU first so Crean can sweep him off his feet and get him to commit before he ever sets foot in Durham.

The Gilchrist connection is tantalizing. However, package deals have a tendency to fall apart, so I’ll be cautiously optimistic about that.

• Speedway #3

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 12:12 PM EDT

I’ve got a bad feeling about this one, but that’s probably more of a result of losing too many players to Duke, etc. over the past decade or so. I would love to see Irving in Cream and Crimson!

• JL #4

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 12:14 PM EDT

Hopefully he will come to midnight madness! I bet he would love to here assembly hall chanting KYRIE IRVING, KYRIE IRVING. As Crean says “who wouldn’t want to be part of this.”

• eric #5

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 12:36 PM EDT

I suggest we have inter-faith prayer vigil, sending up remonstrations to everyone’s diety of choice to ask for these guys to both attend IU.

Okay maybe that’s a bit extreme, but it sure would be great to give Crean those kinds of players to work with on top of the good recruiting he’s already done. It would be like (Rakeem) Christmas all year long!!!

• Porter #6

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 2:14 PM EDT

If these guys are projected to be such big hotshots, how likely are they to stick around for more than 1 year and actually *build* the program?

• Scott W #7

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 2:32 PM EDT

We need bigs, but this is one guard I would take.

• Casey #8

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 3:01 PM EDT

Porter,

There certainly is a need for players with longevity. In fact, most of our players should want to stick around for three or four years.

But at the same time, no one’s going to win a Big Ten or National Championship with a team full of solid role players. At some point, you have to reel in some start power as well — some true, elite talent.

They may not stay for years and build the program, but they will help it, and will pave the way for better recruiting classes and more success in the future.

Now, let’s hope that how long Irving and Gilchrist will stay at IU actually becomes something we have to worry about.

• dubya #9

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 3:01 PM EDT

Porter,

It only takes one year and a couple of Hotshots to win a title. OSU, Florida, Duke, Syracuse, UNC, UCLA – they have one year wonders every year and they are perennial Sweet Sixteen teams.

I think winning builds programs – doesnt matter if the coaches stay or the players – if you win, people/players will be there!

• Ben W. #10

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 3:23 PM EDT

Still a long way to go before IU gets these two! Duke, Kentucky and others will play roles in this recruitment.

• JeremyK #11

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 3:24 PM EDT

This would be an absolutely HUGE pickup for the Hoosiers even if it is just for a year or two. Land this guy, and I don’t see why we can’t win the Big10 during his freshman year.

• Moose #12

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 7:45 PM EDT

Casey,

I agree that IU will need to recruit some “star” players like Irving in the future to consistently win championships, but I think IU will have some players on the team next year that are more than role players. Watford and Creek come in with much acclaim and Verdell Jones showed at the end of last year that he can play against anyone. These guys can eventually become star players.

Years ago, under Knight, there were many guys who began their career by barely playing at all, but after a few years of good teaching (what coaches need to be good at moreso than recruiting, in my opinion)they would eventually become star players.

Look at the statistics and progression of guys like Ted Kitchel and Daryl Thomas for example. Those guys became “star” players and helped build the program for 4 years. It shows that a good coach can make a good player great. Just because you’re not a blue-chipper out of high school doesn’t mean you won’t become a “star” player.

• BGleas #13

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 8:42 PM EDT

Moose,

I would argue that players like that didn’t develop slowly over their career solely because of the coaching (not saying Knight wasn’t a great coach, he obviously was), but it was also because even the star/NBA caliber players stayed 4 years.

For example, if players stayed longer in the current climate, Creek wouldn’t be coming in as an instant impact player. He’d be coming in as a nice recruit that would be sitting behind EJ for two years and would hopefully develop.

The progression is just sped up now because so many guys leave early. Guys like Daryl Thomas would have progressed much earlier if not sitting behind upperclassmen his first few years.

Yes non blue-chip recruits can become stars, but it’s much less likely than a stud recruit becoming a star.

• Moose #14

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 9:04 PM EDT

BGleas,

You make a good point. I hadn’t thought of that. I guess that the point I was trying to make is that you can be a “star” without being a blue-chipper. This is where the coach and his assistants come into play. They need to make their players better throughout their time at IU (which I think Crean and Co. will will do). Guys like Creek, Watford, Hulls and Elston can all become All-Big Ten players with hard work and coaching, even though they weren’t McDonald’s All-Americans.

• NotanIdiotFan #15

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 10:07 PM EDT

Here we go again “We don’t want one-and-done players”…. Listen up folks, the OLD days are gone. Until we go back to forcing kids to play 3-4 years, we might as well get used to the idea that the talented players will have a big incentive called MONEY to cut college short. Just keep in mind though, that every so often talented kids do stick around. Probably because they are with a good group of team mates, good coaches, and play for a great school. NC, Duke, and Florida all have had recent examples of that.

So like I said, the OLD days are gone. Get used to it and find something else to complain about. Heck I would like to go back to having State Farm/Channel 4 televised Thursday night and Saturday day games. Oh, heck, while I am at it let’s throw in a 20 yr old attractive wife.

• Chet #16

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 10:16 PM EDT

I don’t see Kentucky as being a threat for a while. Coach Cal hasn’t coached a single game and there is already a scandal. Nobody wants to be a part of that.

• Hobbsey #17

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 10:48 PM EDT

•Are you crazy Chet? UK is not going to be a treat for a while (number one class this year). Sounds like you are just hating on them. What scandal are you talking about. IU better hope and pray tha Coach CAL does not want Irving, because if CAL wants him, he well get him.

Chet | August 11th, 2009 at 10:16 pm |

• tommy G #18

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 10:50 PM EDT

chet- please enlighten us to what you mean. I think IU has a great shot at landing Irving and I hope so…better you guys than Duke any day.

• J.D. #19

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 12:31 AM EDT

Why in the world would Crean want a one and done prima donna like Kyrie Irving? Just more indication that like Mike Davis, Crean has to have the stud to even think about winning.

And, like Mike Davis, Crean ain’t landing the studs and personally I hope he goes to Duke.

• Casey #20

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 1:49 AM EDT

J.D.,

The fact that you just compared Tom Crean to Mike Davis invalidates anything you’ve said and ever will say on this site.

I really hope no one else even dignifies your comment with a response.

And a question: what recent national championship team hasn’t had a “stud?”

• BGleas #21

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 8:35 AM EDT

Moose,

I agree, what will take IU to a perennial FF contender will be not only landing players like Irving who can be stars from the get-go, but developing guys like Elston, Creek, Watford, Hulls and Bawa into All Big-Ten players. That’s when we’re talking NC and Final Fours.

JD – I hope that’s sarcasm…If not, it’s just plain stupid.

• eric #22

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 11:19 AM EDT

Hobbsey,

You seem to be really in the know about the UK program. I’m sure you were one of the people who wanted Coach Cal when UK hired Gillispie, when most Kentucky fans weren’t yet desperate enough to overlook Cal’s checkered past. Do you by any chance hang out with World Wide Wes?

• J Pat #23

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 11:49 AM EDT

Hob, if Cal wants him, he will get him…yep with dollar dollar bills yall….hahahahahaha!!!!!!! I will take Crean. It might take him a year or two longer but I will not worry if and when the hammer will be coming down from the NCAA!!! Have fun losing sleep Hob!

• Ryan Biddulph #24

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 9:13 PM EDT

Kyrie has a shot to be the star at Indiana. That combined with the fact that the coaching staff has put the fullcourt press since his first game at Pat’s makes them one of the frontrunners. I’ll support him wherever he goes but it’d be nice to see him cause a resurgence with Coach Crean and IU basketball.

I feel so spoiled being able to watch Kyrie and Michael Gilchrist suit up for St. Pats this year :)

• Hobbsey #25

Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 12:42 AM EDT

I’m not downing IU or coach Crean he is building a good program. I wanted Donavan from Fl the first time, then CAl but I was happy with Gillispie and i feel like if given enough time he would have build a good program like Crean is doing at IU ( going slow and steady). But you cant say UK is not going to be a treat this year with the number 1 class. Coach CAL has too many eyes on him at UK. He will make sure every BANNER he puts up will count. Trust me their will be no sleep lost here, well maybe from partying to hard from winning all those titles in the near furture (next season) But hey Crean is building a good top 20th program. Later losers.

• eric #26

Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 9:48 AM EDT

Hobbsey, I was going to correct your grammar, spelling and punctuation errors, but that would be too long to be an effective post. And besides you’d likely not understand the corrections any more than you realize your errors. But be assured that if UK doesn’t win the title this year, as you seem so sure they will, you’ll never be safe on this message board again. Later cheater.

• Steve O #27

Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 12:14 PM EDT

Dear God,

Please let Kyrie Irving choose IU over the evil Puke, I mean Duke, empire.

- Hoosier Nation

• Hobbsey #28

Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 1:47 PM EDT

Hey loser, oh I’m sorry I mean Eric. You seem to be a great English teacher right. DIDDO LOSER

• eric #29

Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 2:11 PM EDT

Wow, Hobbsey, I’m impressed by the intellectual depth of your posts. Clearly you’re the strongest mind among Big Blue Nation. Thank you so much for your enlightening comments.

Fellow Hoosier fan posters, you could join in on this. Hobbsey is a pretty easy target, yet I seem to be carrying the burden solo, with the exception of the always-reliable J Pat. Unless of course you all consider Hobbsey unworthy of your attention, which he probably is.

• Casey #30

Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 2:43 PM EDT

Eric,

Yeah, I generally ignore anyone who lacks the ability to construct a coherent sentence.

I mean, I could say things about how Kentucky fans who take time to log on to other college teams’ newspapers and talk trash to fans obviously have no life and too much time on their hands.

But that wouldn’t be a nice thing to say.

• J Pat #31

Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 3:32 PM EDT

Never been a trash talker on this site really but when stupid people start going on and on and have nothing better to do than get on a rivals blog…get a job, get a life! I went to a UK newspaper and blog just to get back at a guy who came on to this blog and talked trash. The guy talked about how bad the older Crawford would beat down IU and blah blah and then I watched one of the biggest street ballers to ever come to IU put away the blue team almost by himself. Hob, you will get yours in the end, this year, next, or the year after…some of us do not forget. I am the guy that saved a paper from Gary, IN off the internet that said Hep could not turn the culture at IU around and would not ever get IU to a bowl. I have emailed him several times since and let him know about it. Trash talkers get it in the end because you cannot win them all, period!

• Hobbsey #32

Friday, August 14, 2009 - 10:36 AM EDT

Trash talking is what makes sports so much fun. Yeah little Crawford smacked us around 2 yr ago then UK came back last season and put a beating on IU 72-54. U guys love yr program as much as we do down here thats y it so much fun getting u guys going. You all are just as crazy as we are about basketball. Thats what makes the UK and IU game fun to watch. The winning team gets the bragging rights for the summer. J Pat I know we cant win them all but in the years to come we will win most of them. Eric I love your come backs,they are original. DEon’t take this the wrong way but later Losers.

• Hobbsey #33

Friday, August 14, 2009 - 10:38 AM EDT

Sorry Eric didn’t have time to proof read it had to go.

• J Pat #34

Friday, August 14, 2009 - 10:49 AM EDT

Hob, I disagree that you will win more than IU in the next few years. We will see. I also disagree trash talking makes sports fun. Maybe with close friends and family but not on the blog of the other team. If that is fun for you, you are not really deep into the sport and obviously have way too much time on your hands.

• J Pat #35

Friday, August 14, 2009 - 10:53 AM EDT

fun is going to the game home or away and smiling at opposing teams fans when leaving the arena/stadium after a beat down…especially one that was not supposed to happen !!!

• J Pat #36

Friday, August 14, 2009 - 10:55 AM EDT

if IU does beat UK (it will be a tall task I know) maybe Casey, Eric, and I will fly a banner over Lexington that says, “Hobbsey should have kept his mouth shut on the HT IU blog”!

• Hobbsey #37

Friday, August 14, 2009 - 11:34 AM EDT

Pat if IU beats UK this YR and u do that then u will be the man. This is all in good fun if u want me to stop posting on here I will but when UK beats IU this yr I will be back to talk a little trash. Later man

• J Pat #38

Friday, August 14, 2009 - 12:15 PM EDT

Hob do what makes you happy man. You seem like a good guy. I just cannot get why you are on an IU blog and obviously checking back quite often. I just don’t get that. I see people do this crap on threads on CBS and ESPN but this an IU community. If you want to get a jab or 2 in and leave, great, but this is going overboard. Feel free to get the last word now or later, I have to get back to my work.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football