Dear Santa

Dear Santa,

I know it has been some time since I bothered to write, but I assure you I am not holding that wool sweater back in 1994 against you. The Herschel Walker football you dropped off in the late 1980s more than makes up for an subsequent mistakes, as it was used to go a Colts-like 34-0 in backyard football.

I write to you today because the situation is dire, and I think you might be the only one who can deliver what I need. As you well know — because I can trace IP addresses and have seen yours frequently — this blog began about three and a half years ago when I first got to Bloomington. To be honest with you — who would ever lie to Santa, anyway? — I didn’t have much of a notion of what blogging was or should be. We just sort of went with it, hopping something would grow.

Luckily, Eric Gordon was indecisive. Our coverage of his waffling drove traffic and began building a small community of loyal commentors. We’d sit in Yogi’s, trying to spy on him as he scanned the menu and contemplated the eternal conundrum: should he upgrade to the buffalo chips? Kelvin Sampson would always be there. But he’d be on the phone a lot. We thought that was strange at the time. We don’t anymore.

The Scoop began to flourish, and I think it found a niche. We were more off beat than the big guys up in Indy. Took ourselves a bit less seriously and weren’t afraid to link to what others were reporting. We got a little bloggy with it, befriending the fine folks at Inside the Hall. Eventually we discovered CoverItLive and began getting together with people from all over the world to talk about the games we covered.

For a young guy who is actually a bit old school, interacting with readers so closely was a revelation. No longer did we need to guess what fans wanted, or assume how best to provide coverage of Indiana. We could just ask. Well, we didn’t even need to. The folks on the Scoop were more than willing to tell us what they thought. It helped our journalism by keeping us accountable. But it was fun, too. I met some of the most passionate and intelligent people, and they gave me a sense of what it meant to cover Indiana basketball.

Not to get too sappy with you — who better to get sappy with than Santa, though? — but the relationships we were building on the Scoop gave the job meaning.

Something has changed, though.

The Scoop is a wasteland, and we’re not having that much fun anymore. Discussing college athletics with passion, nuance and insight has been replaced by a mix of excessive posturing from a few antagonists and sheer lunacy by others.

Here’s the thing, though: I’ve never really wanted to be very strict with moderation. I’m a journalist. Believing that people have the right to share their thoughts is an essential part of my being. Beyond that, I’ve always wanted to cultivate a diverse collection of commentors. The Scoop isn’t supposed to be a stodgy place; it thrives in part because of how connected its readers have made it to the world beyond the fields and courts. I don’t want to choke off creativity. Frankly, I can’t live without a steady diet of Ro*Tel jokes (because a steady diet of actual Ro*Tel would, I think, not be healthy at all.)

But this place needs to be under control again. Indiana fans need to know they can come here for rational discussion of the games they follow. And it’s up to me to be the sheriff and quell the rebellion. I could ban certain IP addresses, or make people register before commenting. We could use Disqus, the way the dudes at ITH do. Maybe it’s time to fold the Scoop in with the rest of our Web site and make people pay for it. Subscribers to HTO are only allowed to have two usernames, and that has brought an increased level of accountability to the discussions there.

See, there’s a lot more that we have to worry about. We’re still putting out a newspaper, and we’ve got the HoosiersHQ site to deal with. The Scoop is worth dedicating a good portion of our resources to but it’s just part of what we do.

So here’s what I’m asking of you: use whatever magic you put on that Herschel Walker football to bring the conversation here under control.

I know you can do it. Because we all know I wasn’t good enough at football to go 34-0 without some magic.

Thanks.

Chris

P.S. Don’t bring Dustin any presents.

P.P.S Bring Hugh new hockey skates. Size 10.5. But deliver them to my house.

• Aruss #1

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 2:14 PM EST

Korman – please add a registration system for commenting. this place has turned into a dump because of all the trolls. I’ll be happy to monitor it for you.

• J Pat #2

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 2:20 PM EST

Chris,

Wow, what a great read. I love this line…

… Indiana fans need to know they can come here for rational discussion of the games they follow.

I actually woke up thinking this morning that all it takes is one or two bad apples to ruin the bunch. The sad thing is that the one or two is loving this and cracking up about it all.
    I would vote for a censoring program of some sort. It sucks, but it is time! Don’t make us pay for it because of one or two people, please. I simply cannot afford it and am against that all around. It is time to do something though. When people start taking pleasure in beating up on people…it is time. Take care.

J Pat

PS for me it was a mini bball signed by the 1990 IU team!!!

• jubilee #3

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 2:33 PM EST

Totally agree with J Pat.

• GFDave #4

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 2:33 PM EST

Thank you Chris. I am aware that I have not been part of the solution, probably even a part of the problem. Merry Christmas too all.

• Hoosier Clarion #5

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 2:37 PM EST

As it should be. An exercise in willpower now or a show of discipline later.

• Michael F. #6

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 2:42 PM EST

Chris, thanks for making this post. I’ve enjoyed reading the Scoop for the past couple years and do recall fondly a time when posting comments was fun and when debate was respectful.

I guess I never really took the time to think about how comment posting has devolved, but looking back, it’s pretty clear. I’m very thankful that you’ve never censored anyone’s comments, but am also glad that you’re taking the time to address the situation.

Merry Christmas to all the contributors and readers of the Scoop. And Chris, I hope Santa brings you what you’ve asked for.

• Tom mcg #7

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 2:54 PM EST

I agree with J Pat. Ive really enjoyed these blogs and I would hate to miss out on them with the season getting ready to heat up. But I dont think I could afford an HTO subscription just because of that.

• PB #8

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 2:58 PM EST

Well said Chris.

It is frustrating to put time and effort into a sensible post only to have to sift through nonsensical ramblings to continue the debate.

Very creative way to get your message across without sounding crass.

When the integrity of the HoosierScoop Blog and it’s mission are in jeopardy the powers that be must be forced to take a stance.

My hope is that as a group we will abide by your suggestions and maintain the Scoop as a place where Hoosiernation can come to creatively debate IU athletic related topics with decorum.

• STLHOOS #9

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 3:01 PM EST

Thanks for acknowledging the problem Chris. When the Indy Star starting letting readers comment on every story I came to The Scoop to get away from all the idiocy and to discuss the specific topics related to IU football or basketball. Now I’m more inclined to go to ITH for some rationale IU discussion. The Scoop has become the place to go for some to vent their frustrations with personal inadequacies. Of the 96 comments made between the prior two headline topics I could only find about 10 of them that actually had something coherent to say about the IU game against NCCU. It’s really just a sad commentary on our society in general right now. Nobody wants to be held accountable and everyone wants to blame someone else for their own unhappiness.
    I hope you don’t go to having The Scoop being part of the HT subscription but it’s obvious some real action needs to be taken. I wouldn’t have a problem registering and with more strict moderation. Inflammatory or non-topic related comments should not be posted. There are plenty other sites that cater to trolls and antagonists.

Happy Holidays!

• Sam #10

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 3:41 PM EST

Chris, you just blew your Christmas completely. There is a very clear policy in place and it has nothing to do with the NCAA Rules Committee.

1. You better watch out
    2. You better not cry
    3. You better not pout

It goes on to explain why but most people consider this information common knowledge.

Your comments have likely violated each of these rules thereby landing you on Santa’s less preferred list.

• Cutter In Chicago #11

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 3:42 PM EST

Glad that Ro*Tel references are still welcome (I mean the new ads with Velveeta are just down right bizarre).

Its always tough to try to balance these cyberwebs/internets/vacuum tubes. Personally, I favor the least amount of regulation possible (sort of a Hoosier John Galt meets IU sports blogging – i.e. I do not care for the HTO’s 2 username policy) but I totally understand that you don’t want a couple of bad actors to ruin it for us all.

• Laffy #12

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:08 PM EST

What, exactly, is “rational” discussion?

I guess you want to turn this place into what Peegs was like when Knight was at IU: Any negative comment is banned.

All of it.

I think it is fair game to point out it sucks we have a glut of 3 Star guards….especially when we keep getting our butts kicked on the boards.

I guess many of you aren’t bright enough to do that and need mommy to get the posts off that don’t paint our recruiting as SPECTACULAR.

• Chris Korman #13

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:16 PM EST

Laffy,

You know that your comments about recruiting are not what I’m concerned about. Crean’s recruiting should be — and is — up for question on this blog. And it always will be.

The problem is your last sentence. Why insult people? What’s the purpose? Do you feel better now? Is your chest puffed out? Seriously. I want to know. I just cannot fathom what sort of rush you get by randomly insulting a bunch of people you don’t know.

• Laffy #14

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:38 PM EST

People insult me all the time when I say our recruiting isn’t up to snuff. Go back and read your archives.

And my last sentence is exactly right. There are people on here I think are idiots. Guess what? I don’t read their posts. And I don’t cry they need to be kicked off. Not that hard to do.

Are you going to blast the people who call me names when I complain about recruiting or do you have different rules for different people because they “like soup”?

(rolleyes)

Talk about tired lines……..

I guess that’s ok to say that ALL THE TIME but saying I’m not happy with recruiting isn’t.

(rolleyes)

Just change the name to Peegs Little Sister and get it over with.

Just like there, certain people were allowed to call names and insult ALL they wanted to (the people who worship Bob). Anyone else who posted insults was “bad” and had their posts yanked.

Let’s make a deal. Tell the people to quit insulting me if I post I’m not happy with recruiting and I won’t insult anyone else.

Otherwise, just admit you’re all hypocrites and kick me off.

• Engel #15

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:48 PM EST

Do I need to start regulating this blog like I’ve been regulating peegs lately? (c: Happy Holidays, everyone!

• ChronicHoosier #16

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:48 PM EST

I was wondering if/when this was going to happen; the level of civil and intelligent discourse has gradually declined to the point that the comments have largely become devoid of any connection to the subject of the original post. What was once a great forum for diverse insights on IU athletics has become worse than a 3rd grade sleep over with a bunch of maladjusted, name-calling children. I’d suggest banning IP addresses, as most of the children who wish to pee in our pool are at least intelligent enough to set up separate email accounts to achieve multiple identities, even using disqus. While making it a subscription service may provide more accountability, I’d hate to see some of the worthwhile contributors cut out (though I’d quickly point out that Chris, Dustin, & Hugh’s work is well worth the price of subscription- the local news is just an added bonus for me). That said, I whole-heartedly agree that it’s time to reign in some of the B.S. that’s contaminated the Scoop. If people must revert to the childish name calling, stop by the Hoosier Chronicles, where I can, in an uncensored forum, tell you what I really think before banning your IP address from my site. And with that, I’m hastily off to my neighborhood hair saloon to see if I can find some queso. Must. Have. Queso! (What, your hair saloon doesn’t have shelves of Velveeta stocked in the back???)

• Chris Korman #17

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:50 PM EST

Laffy,

I’m hoping the name-calling goes away, period. That was the point of the above post. No name-calling toward you. No name-calling from you. If every person on the blog follows that, we’ve suddenly got a solution.

Since I’ve rarely taken down any post here, I don’t think your comparison to what happened at Peegs is remotely accurate. Or fair.

• Andrew #18

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:51 PM EST

Chris, good read. I read the Scoop and ITH daily, and enjoy both very much. I don’t always read the comments tho, so I didn’t realize that things were getting a little out of hand over here. But I can glean from Laffy’s comment why you would be frustrated. He can’t possibly be so obtuse as to pretend this has anything to do with recruiting banter. His second-to-last sentence is absurd: “Last time I checked, no one is holding a gun to your head making you read my posts. I just skip over the people I don’t like.” No. 1, he’s implying that he watches you read the posts, which for your sake Chris I hope isn’t true, and no. 2, of course HE can skip over anything he doesn’t like, b/c it’s not his JOB. It does, however, happen to be yours. Hopefully most people on here can understand that distinction, and why it does matter. I hope that if you decide to change anything, disqus would get the first chance, just to see how it works.

• Laffy #19

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:52 PM EST

I will bet you the vast majority of insults are directed at me and not the other way around.

I will post I think our recruiting sucks and the peanut gallery will start blasting me.

• Jay #20

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:56 PM EST

Laffy,
    Can you verify that Peegs existed in the fall of 2000? Rivals did not start until 2001. Just curious.
    Have you ever been involved in recruiting a basketball or football player? It can be a difficult proposition. Consider that Crean got in late on many post men. With recruiting starting as early as 8th grade,we’ll have to watch and hope. Will Crean be successful with Zeller and others, only time will tell.
    I really don’t believe you are a hypocrite, nor do I feel that anyone else posting here is a hypocrite.

• Laffy #21

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 5:02 PM EST

Chris–

You said it was a “few” people ruining this place…..which I’m guessing you were including me.

The fact is, people insult me first. I’ll say I’m not happy with recruiting and they start in with the insults. And then, they’ll cry that I’m ruining the place.

Go figure.

And while my comparison to Peegs wasn’t completely accurate, it is very similar: Certain people are allowed to insult and some aren’t. Tell your soup buddies to knock it off and I will too.

And Andrew, the “gun to your your head” was not directed at Chris. There several people who start wetting their panties every time I say our recruiting stinks and say they are tired of me saying it.

No one is holding a gun to their heads making them read my posts. If I see someone post I don’t like, I skip it.

Guess that is too hard for some people…..

• Engel #22

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 5:02 PM EST

Jay,

Peegs was around in a different form before 2001.

• byrd #23

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 5:06 PM EST

I love everyone :) and THE HOOSIERS!!!!!!

• Laffy #24

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 5:06 PM EST

Jay–

Peegs was around long before Rivals bought them.

And Crean did not just start coaching so I don’t how that excuse flies. Wasn’t he recruiting big men at Marquette?

And if he’s going to take a chance on kids, which I understand, why bring in even more 3 star guards instead of 3 star big guys?

• Chris Korman #25

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 5:07 PM EST

Again, Laffy, the post is directed at EVERY SINGLE PERSON READING THE HOOSIER SCOOP.

EVERY.

SINGLE.

ONE.

• PB #26

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 5:09 PM EST

Laffy,

It’s unfortunate that you feel that way. But it may be better to have a professional conversation about this matter.

A question was posed by Chris and I’m having a hard time deciphering your response from the post above.

There is more than one culprit in this realm of a blogosphere that love to personally attack one another. That I agree is unfortunate.

But, on the flip side of that coin there are bloggers who are very insightfull and skilled.
    It all starts with credibility (or lack thereof). Treat others as you would like to be treated is the old mantra.

In the future if you would like to receive practical feedback from the Scoop staff and Scoop community it would be best to cease with the slanderous comments. It’s just not productive for all parties involved.

• Jay #27

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 5:09 PM EST

Thank you Engel.

• Laffy #28

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 5:15 PM EST

Chris—

Good.

• ronb #29

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 6:16 PM EST

Chris, Thanks for getting involved before things got totally out
    of control. Folks can post their point of view without being rude
    to others with different view points. I love this site over all the others and hope it returns to being civil with everyone. Thanks

• ChronicHoosier #30

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 7:40 PM EST

Laffy, I think we’ve finally figured out why you’re so upset with recruiting-> http://is.gd/5wI8P

• Scott W #31

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 9:05 PM EST

As for me, I enjoy reading the Scoop and discussions that it brings…Even though I may disagree with some of you, I’m not going to insult anyone’s opinion. So everyone have a Merry Christmas, and may there be peace on earth and good will towards man.
    I do believe that Red Gold is better than Ro*Tel, just my opinion.

• west coast hoosir #32

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:50 PM EST

When I notice comments going wild, I simply stop reading them.

Of course, I continue reading the stories because Chris and his folks are diong a fine job.

If others do what I’m doing, the bad folks will just be talking to themselves — and they’ll get tired of it sooner or later.

• I like soup! #33

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 11:46 PM EST

Can’t we all just get along?!?!?!?!

• Chet #34

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:22 AM EST

Laffy,
    I’m sure you’re not being singled out. I don’t think anyone, other than yourself, feels you are that big a deal. Just another disgruntled individual who has found an outlet for their frustrations. No harm in that. Is your behavior so obnoxious that Chris felt it necessary to generally call out everyone before this website devolved? Maybe. Maybe not. Perhaps, if you feel you’re being singled out, you might choose to keep quiet and see what the reaction might be. That’s not very likely though, is it?

• Cutter In Chicago #35

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:50 AM EST

Having just re-read these comments, this was (by internet standards and IMHO) a well-mannered, well-reasoned dialogue.

@ChronicHoosier – glad its not just me who goes to hair salons on a queso bender. Its more depraved than being in the depths of an ether binge.
    @PB – well reasoned post(s).
    @ Laffy – what are your thoughts on Crean’s recruiting… (I kid, I kid)

I enjoy reading this blog and ITH (and peegs too) and appreciate the first two sites for reasons different than peegs and really enjoy the live blogs/chats during games. I love IU hoops to the degree that I likely need mental health care (which I am hoping Evan Bayh had inserted into the health care bill my own special counseling especially for me). Having all these places to read stories and comments is a good way to avoid doing some real work for a few moments during the day.

Chris/Dustin et al., you fellas are doing the Lord’s work here and I cannot believe that you’d ever want the position of trying to regulate things that really should be self-regulated by common sense but alas, that is the cyber world we live in.

Have a great holiday season folks. Let’s get 2 wins and momentum heading into the Michigan game (which Jay Bilas is basically calling a “must win” for the Wolverines).

• Casey #36

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 2:12 AM EST

Chris,

I think most of what’s happened can be attributed a few simple problems:

1.) A few posters post the exact same thing every time.

Since Laffy has already singled himself out (maybe his guilty conscience is indicative of something), I’ll use his content as an example. Laffy, you yourself admitted to generally posting about Crean recruiting too many three star guards. No one has a problem with your opinion. You’re entitled to it. The problem is, you say that every time. You never offer an alternative perspective — never concede a point once engaged in an argument with another poster. It’s always “my opinion is right; everything else is delusional.” On other posts, you consistently dismiss the opinions of others as the product of their “Knight worship.” Calling people “Knight worshippers” qualifies as name calling — the very practice of which you claim to be such an innocent victim. I’ve also seen you describe dissenting opinions as “crying,” which is both dismissive and inaccurate.

Another example — stevealford (who is most likely one of the split personalities of a multi-named blogger). Every single post concerning IU basketball is followed with a comment on how Crean is a fraud and Pat Knight or Alford should be the coach. It’s fine to say that once, twice, three times. But when you say it every single time IU basketball is discussed, it just becomes annoying. Your ability to stare statistical comparisons in the face and not even admit that you might be wrong about even the smallest thing is astounding. It diminishes your credibility as a rational arguer.

In both cases. The posts become repetitive and annoying. That’s where the name-calling kicks in. If someone repeatedly pokes you in the shoulder over and over, eventually you’re going to punch their arm.

2.) People can’t concede a point.

There are a few posters who simply refuse to admit that anything they say may have been flawed or one-sided. Of course we all think we’re mostly right. When I post something, I’m confident that it’s an intelligent point of view. But occasionally, someone presents a formidable counter-argument and points out some things I’d overlooked. When that occurs, I admit it. Are we so prideful that we can’t afford for our anonymous online blogging reputations to be tainted even in the slightest? Seriously, what’s the fun in arguing if there’s no concession — no actual dialogue that moves toward a theoretical ending point?

3.) One or two posters just get off to messing with people.

This is the one that’s truly troubling — that someone or some people gain so much gratification from annoying others to their breaking points that they’re willing to sacrifice the integrity of this blog and its once-productive discussions in order to get under the skin of those truly concerned with having some sort of actual, normal conversation. I’ve heard the “it’s a blog, lighten up argument.” And you’re right — it’s a blog. It’s certainly a looser environment than what we’re often afforded in the real world. But any objective person would look at the current situation and acknowledge that it’s just a mess.

The practice of using 20 to 30 different user names is absurd — regardless of the poster(s)’ intentions to “spice up” the Scoop, or whatever, it really just mucks up any conversation. The majority of the consistent posters have all voiced a clear displeasure with this practice, but to no avail. That just shows that it’s really a matter of selfish, cheap gratification on the part of one or two posters whose heads are so inflated that they can’t swallow their desire to be pests for the good of this blog — which, regardless of poster comments, still provides great information and great reporting.

I’m truly sorry, for yours and Dustin’s sake, that you’ve even had to broach this subject. I really don’t know how you can change someone who’s selfish or prideful, especially via the internet.

Forcing users to register with an e-mail account would seem to me to be the logical first step. At the very least, it would force people who want to post under 10 different names to go through the hassle of creating 10 e-mail accounts. If they show that they’re really that dedicated to being obnoxious, then perhaps it’d need to be taken a step further.

Regardless, I love the work you guys put in. I appreciate the light-heartedness you bring to the IU sports world — one that often becomes far too emotionally taxing otherwise. Thanks for the work, and I hope this issue is resolved soon.

• Laffy #37

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 9:30 AM EST

I find it funny how people whine about my name-calling when any time I say something, they call me a troll and other names.

Just look at this thread…..before I even said anything.

Again, I find the “I like soup” 1,000 different times annoying. I don’t see you crying about how they should stop with that.

It’s as stupid as Boiler Up!

I agree about the sock puppets. I think they’re dumb.

• Laffy #38

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 9:34 AM EST

Oh………….and the reason I keep complaining about the 3 Star guards is……he keeps recruiting them.

When we have obvious needs elsewhere.

• stevealford #39

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 10:54 AM EST

Casey,
    By the way, I have never posted under any other name and am not sure where you are getting that from. What about the Crean followers who refuse to ever admit they might be wrong about him while looking at past facts? Oh that is you so that doesn’t count i guess.

• stevealford #40

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 10:55 AM EST

Laffy,
    I agree with you 100% on the 3 star guards thing.
    Oladipo put up a whopping 2 points last game.

• Hoosier Clarion #41

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:00 AM EST

Damn!

• brian #42

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:01 AM EST

You guys should make a one time charge of 1 dollar or something rather small. Then use the credit card verification to verify someone’s name and then make them use their full name and correct location to post. The mask of anonymity is the biggest problem here.

That should be enough to stop the trolls and the double logins. Check out Iracing, they force people to use their real name and it cleaned up all of the crap you deal with playing games online.

Laffy- how about instead of complaining you start naming some 3 star centers you would like Crean to recruit?

If nothing else just start banning IP’s. If the majority of people here don’t think they add to the discussion, then get rid of him. In the long run losing a couple readers but making the dicussion more in-depth and interesting will drive traffic.

Warn everyone once and then ban them after that. I really do appreciate the site and hope you guys don’t put it behind the paper’s pay wall.

• PB #43

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:51 AM EST

Great breakdown of the state of the blog Casey.

Gotta make the trolls pay a toll. Mmmha. Just brought me back to a quite droll episode of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.” Great Christmas DVD that gang released as well.

I wouldn’t be at all opposed to some sort of free login to regulate email and username. Possibly even one with a nominal one time charge.

Perhaps with the registration a required Terms of Use agreement would give Chris and Dustin the appropriate power to block inappropriate content.

• Indiana Memorial Union #44

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:54 AM EST

Casey,

That’s exactly what happened when a certain blogger used the stats from kenpom’s website to demonstrate that so far Steve Alford’s team is performing better than expected, Pat Knight’s team is right where it was supposed to be and Tom Crean’s team (sadly, the Hoosiers) is underperforming, again.

And before you even start complaining about my name let me remind you that other posters here use names of architectural landmarks to sign their posts. Thank you and happy holidays to everybody.

• GFDave #45

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:57 AM EST

Brian, I agree with a lot of your suggestions and the spirit behind them.

I think the Scoop has been correlating IPs to posters for awhile and are just now (I’m guessing) dumping some folks.

As far as names are concerned I’m a big fan of having one handle, but, for personal security reasons, I would never post my last name. There are too many ways for people with bad/criminal intent to connect the dots on the internet.

My current handle uses my real first name and an abbreviation for where I live. That’s as far as I am willing to go.

• Indiana Memorial Union #46

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:34 PM EST

GFDave,

I think you’re guessing wrong. Korman said he doesn’t want to ban anyone. Ergo, we should try to get along. But you can’t let it go, can you? You have to know or to assume that somebody has been kicked out just because you didn’t like them. Clarion said: “show of willpower now or show of discipline later.” Why are you guessing that some people have already been banned? Just because nobody is picking on you as they did during the last few days? You would have to even consider that people can behave in a civilized manner (you know, showing restraint etc.) even when they still have the freedom to do otherwise, as I am sure is the case now.

I think we can all get along (I really do) as long as we pay more attention to what’s in the message posted and less attention to who said it. Less attention to the name attached to the post also leads to less name-calling.

• Laffy #47

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 1:25 PM EST

Brian–

Any of them.

Or forwards.

Any of them are better than more 3 Star guards.

• GFDave #48

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 1:36 PM EST

I honestly wasn’t trying to pick a fight or make a statement.

• GFDave #49

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 1:41 PM EST

Athough true, I think my last post sounds too apologetic. I didn’t say anything in the original post that was cause for such a strong reaction. I didn’t mean anything by it other that it was my own guess. If we’re going to stick with the content, let’s make sure mine’s fairly judged too. Peace.

• Indiana Memorial Union #50

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 1:50 PM EST

OK, maybe I overreacted — but I still think that nobody has been banned yet and yet we can all be civilized as I certainly hope so.

Peace, as you said.

• PB #51

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 1:55 PM EST

It is a Christmas miracle…That’s more like it.

Peace on earth and goodwill to the Scoop.

• GFDave #52

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 2:01 PM EST

cool

• Mickey #53

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 3:51 PM EST

Merry Christmas to all and to the Hoosiers a good night! I enjoy reading the Scoop!

• brian #54

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 4:18 PM EST

My point exactly Laffy, all you say is any of them, you don’t have any specific examples.

Crean was late to the game recruiting for this team. He has to take the best players available and then find the best way to get his best players on the court. If we were strolling out 3 star big men this year, their impact would be minimal and our record would be worse then last year and if they needed major minutes we would be in trouble.

I will wait for the list of 3 star big men you wish were recruiting for 2010.

• Laffy #55

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 4:58 PM EST

And you wonder why I call people idiots….

Any means just that. Any. Pick a name. Jesus, and you cry about me saying the same thing over and over?

ANY BIG PLAYER is better than ANOTHER 3 Star guard.

I also don’t get the constant excuse, “He just started recruiting for this team and wasn’t in with all the 8th graders.”

Didn’t he have contacts while recruiting at Marquette? Was he a complete unknown while there?

How can these other coaches switch schools and not have any drop off in recruiting? Why don’t they have to “start over”?

We’ve got all the playing time in the world for good/great players. We’ve got tons of national exposure. A rabid fan base.

And he’s settling for 3 Star guards?

Maybe these big guys are seeing all these 3 Star guards coming and say, “Well, I want to win. Not going to happen when half the team is 3 Star guards.”

Oh, and I’m not talking about “this year.” I love the class we have “this year.”

I’m talking about next year. And the one after that.

• ronb #56

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 6:17 PM EST

I think some of you are still thinking that Coach wants the old traditional line up. He came from a different style of play than the Old Big Ten Model motion offense. As Hoosiers this is going to be different. He will always have an over abundance of players who can run, handle the ball and are athletic enough to play 2 or 3 different positions. He needs them to make his type of up tempo game work. He also will need guys who can play D and rebound to get his fast break going. You might want to face the fact that he may want a dribble drive motion offense like some of the top ranked teams have now. So Laffy you are right we have to many 3 star guards but he got who he could based on the terrible shape IU was in. He will keep rotating these players until we have 4 and 5 star players but it takes time. Until then we must hope that some on these 3 star guys are really 4 or 5’s. Certainly this years class is a good start. So give the guy a chance to work his magic. As his teams start to win his chance for top notch players will go up and we will all be happy with the
    results.

• Casey #57

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 4:23 AM EST

Laffy,

Jobe, Muniru, and Pritchard fall under the category of “ANY BIG PLAYER.”

Are you happy that they’re part of our team? Do you think they’re better and more advantageous than most three-star guards? If you do, I’d argue that you’re misinformed.

stevealford,

Let’s make a deal: I’ll concede a point about Crean when you concede an argument about Alford and how almost every one of his career numbers is inferior to Crean’s. How does that sound?

Let me know.

• Casey #58

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 4:23 AM EST

Laffy,

Jobe, Muniru, and Pritchard fall under the category of “ANY BIG PLAYER.”

stevealford,

Let me know.

• Mike P. #59

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 5:12 PM EST

The lack of accountability on this blog has contributed to what I feel is a decline in the overall product. We have multiple post from the same person using different names, sometime arguing with themselves.

Then we have others like GFDave, JPat, Jay and others who continually post using the same name all the time. Hell, even Laffy who can, at times, be a supreme jerk, continually post under the same name and doesn’t appear to try and support his stance by using multiple screen names.

There is nothing wrong with forcing a poster to log on and use 1 name, and 1 name only. If you want proof, look at the Grid Iron Digest, the single largest high school football forum in the country. You are only allowed one log on, and that board receives more post in an hour than this board does in a day, if not longer.

Why does it work so well? The people on there are knowledgeable and passionate about Indiana high school football and the teams they support. The also know that they are expected to stand by their statements and be held accountable for them.

Ultimately this is the HT’s blog and Korman has control on what happens here. He will run it how he feels is best. He knows that banning IP addresses or censoring comments that disagree with him, Dustin or the other writers is not the way to do it. Hopefully he figures out that certain people on here need to be reigned in and held accountable by creating a log in and single user name aspect instead of allowing everyone to remain anonymous and act like an ass when they feel the need.

How many games will IU basketball win in 2014-15

• 16-19 (45%, 145 Votes)
  • 20-23 (36%, 117 Votes)
  • 15 or less (12%, 38 Votes)
  • 24 or more (7%, 24 Votes)

Total Voters: 324

IU vs Louisville Men\'s Jimmy V Classic

Men's Basketball Player Pages

[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_blackmon1.jpg]4940James Blackmon, Jr.
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard James Blackmon Jr. (1)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_zeisloft1.jpg]3810Nick Zeisloft
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Nick Zeisloft (2)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hoetzel1.jpg]3480Max Hoetzel
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Max Hoetzel (3)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_johnson1.jpg]3070Robert Johnson
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Robert Johnson (4)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_williams1.jpg]2790Troy Williams
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Troy Williams (5)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_burton1.jpg]2750Ryan Burton
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Ryan Burton (10)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_yogi1.jpg]2460Yogi Ferrell
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Yogi Ferrell (11)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_perea1.jpg]2720Hanner Mosquera-Perea
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea (12)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_robinson1.jpg]2280Stanford Robinson
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Stanford Robinson (22)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_ritchie1.jpg]2240Nate Ritchie
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Nate Ritchie (23)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_holt1.jpg]2690Emmitt Holt
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Emmitt Holt (25)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hartman1.jpg]2840Collin Hartman
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Collin Hartman (30)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_priller1.jpg]3150Tim Priller
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Tim Priller (35)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/mens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_april1.jpg]3190Jeremiah April
Chris Howell | Herald-Times Indiana University Men's Basketball head shots in Bloomington, Ind., Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers center Jeremiah April (44)

Women's Basketball Player Pages

[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_walter1.jpg]3430Jess Walter
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Jess Walter (2)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_buss1.jpg]8250Tyra Buss
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Tyra Buss (3)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_brooks1.jpg]4610Larryn Brooks
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Larryn Brooks (5)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_agler1.jpg]3790Taylor Agler
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Taylor Agler (10)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_bell2.jpg]2940Nicole Bell
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Nicole Bell (12)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_stratman1.jpg]2870Liz Stratman
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_hulls1.jpg]2990Kaila Hulls
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard/forward Kaila Hulls (15)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_mcbride1.jpg]2520Karlee McBride
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Karlee McBride (21)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_gassion1.jpg]2370Alexis Gassion
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Alexis Gassion (23)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_muensterman1.jpg]2550Maura Meunsterman
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Maura Muensterman (31)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_mize1.jpg]2510Andrea Mize
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers guard Andrea Mize (32)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_cahill1.jpg]2660Amanda Cahill
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Amanda Cahill (33)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_jakubicek1.jpg]2740Claire Jakubicek
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Claire Jakubicek (34)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_leikem1.jpg]2620Lyndsay Leikem
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers forward Lyndsay Leikem (40)
[img src=http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/wp-content/flagallery/womens-basketball-player-pages/thumbs/thumbs_anderson1.jpg]2420Jenn Anderson
Chris Howell | Herald-TimesIndiana University women's basketball portraits at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., Thursday, October 23, 2014.Indiana Hoosiers center Jenn Anderson (43)
  • Geoff:

t - slow your roll... Sampson was a TWO-TIME national coach of the yea [...]

• davis:

PO- I guess, to sum up, our difference is that you think IU has the $$ [...]

• davis:

Ben- didn't mean for my post (#25) to have been an attack on you but s [...]

• Ben_M:

...that sounds an awful lot like someone else we all know....iu has an [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

I would pick John Ritter.....Mount Rushmore could use some premature b [...]

• t:

Sampson not even an average fit for IU even if he had good kids. It w [...]

• Geoff: