Indiana 90, Bryant 42 (rotten luck 1, Hoosiers 0)

35 comments by   |   Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:28 pm EDT

This about says it all.

Click here to see a full gallery of Chris Howell’s photographs, including more of the Creek injury.

[1:00 UPDATE]

Crean confirmed for us in his post-game press conference that Creek fractured his knee and will have surgery later today. Steve Ahlfeld will perform the procedure in Indianapolis. Creek’s parents are being flown from Maryland to spend time with him.

You can listen to all of Crean’s remarks by clicking here.

Obviously losing the leading scorer on the team — who was also the leading freshman scorer in the country — will have major ramifications for Indiana. It is a bit difficult to put much thought into those now. The Hoosiers were engaged in such a meaningless contest when Creek went down, and it was dragging late into the night (the 9 p.m. start was absurd). Creek crumpling to the floor was a jarring sight; it will also be the lasting one from this night.

We hope to have an update on Creek in the morning, and we’ll begin looking forward to how the Hoosiers will evolve without him.

[11:34 UPDATE]

Tom Crean said on his post-game radio interview that Maurice Creek fractured his knee and will require surgery.

——–

Look at those faces.

Look at that knee.

It is too early to tell for sure what happened to freshman star Maurice Creek’s knee at the 15:26 mark of the second half today (unless, of course, you are a doctor; then go ahead and share your thoughts.) Creek was on the floor for a good while, and eventually taken off on a stretcher. He used his shirt to cover his face as the fans cheered for him.

We hope to have updates for you on Creek’s status soon.

But to say this much is not going to far: it does not look good.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
Husky Tom
Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:34 PM EDT

What an f(*&ing drag. This is the last thing the team needs. If Pritchard and Dumes had actually improved this year instead of regressed, I’d say we still could stay competitive.

JDub
Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:36 PM EDT

Please…just a sprain or tweak…if the words tear, torn, out for season show up tomorrow…I might scream.

Laffy
Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:44 PM EDT

*&^%##%&&^%#*&&%@$$!

PB
Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:49 PM EDT

Tough to swallow. My thoughts and prayers go out to Maurice and his family. Such a young kid. Hopefully the appropriate steps are taken by the IU medical staff and they get him back to peak condition for next year.

You never want to see an injury like this alter the career of a player. I put faith in that he is young enough to recover.

Hoosier86
Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:50 PM EDT

You took the words out of my mouth, Laffy.

What else does this program have to endure?

GFDave
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:10 AM EDT

This sucks big time. I hope Mo can recover completely and have a good career.

That picture should win an award. Wow.

Best wishes to Mo.

HiggiStardust
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:14 AM EDT

Can’t believe that our best player has a season ending injury right before the Big Ten opener! I’m sure IU and Creek with ask the NCAA for a medical redshirt this season…

H.B.
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:34 AM EDT

No med-red for Creek…he’s been in more than five games this season. It looked so innocuous…unbelievable luck to have arguably our best outside shooter (Roth) and arguably our best overall player (Creek) out before the new year.

…can we throw in the Chi-Town “wait ’til next year” this early in the season?

david
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:53 AM EDT

Let’s slow down just a bit.

Is this a hard thing for Creek and the program… absolutely. Would we have won more games with Creek starting all year… without a doubt. Were we going to go to post season play if Creek hadn’t gotten hurt… probably not. I’d say our chances were about 10% with him and maybe 2% without him.

All that being said. It sounds like an injury Creek will be able to make a full recovery from. And it may give an opportunity to someone like Elston, Capobianco, or Hulls to get a year of Big Ten starts under their belt and some experience for next season. That doesn’t hurt at all.

So yeah, it’s a loss for this season, but this season was already planned as a learning experience… and Creek doesn’t seem like he needs to learn much. =o) Let’s be positive and support the healthy team we’ve got!

1TrueFanJS
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 7:51 AM EDT

Thoughts and prayers to Mo and his family. Not so concerned about this season, more so the impact on this kids pro career. Put in the time to rehab Mo and we will be there to support you along the way.

dkwl
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 7:51 AM EDT

Such a devistating loss for the IU program. Thoughts and prayers go out to Maurice Creek, his family, teammates and coaching staff. Here’s to a quick recovery and a safe return.

dkwl
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 7:53 AM EDT

David,

Didn’t see your comment until after my post. Very well stated. Thank you for your positive post and encouragement for the team and fans!

D-5
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 8:53 AM EDT

Tell me it aint so! Tell me it aint Mo!

We’re going miss you dearly, Maurice…Get well and speedy recovery.

HuskyTom
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 9:33 AM EDT

Just trying to find some positives here:

-We lost to Loyola and Boston U with Creek. No one player is key to this young team. Remember, we are better than last year’s squad, no matter what. This means we should win at least a few more conference games – we probably would even if we had the exact same squad as last year (which we almost do, since Tom Pritchard has learned to be Kyle Taber)

-Like someone in a previous thread noted, we are relatively deep, and Creek’s injury will provide an opportunity for someone else to get big time developmental opportunities

-Hulls started over Rivers. Is this a trend in the making? RIvers has a lot of heart and will make some plays, but he is a terrible shooter and is merely keeping the seat warm while Hulls gains confidence. Needless to say, Creek’s injury gives both of them more time in the spotlight to work out their kinks

D-5
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 9:57 AM EDT

I assume you read “A Case for Hulls”?

• A Case for “nearly invisible” Hulls | December 14th, 2009 at 3:01 pm |

Why did we recruit a Mr. Basketball?

I’ll be the first to admit that I was a doubter of Jordan Hulls.. With the complete decimation of our basketball program by the indiscriminate wielding sledgehammer of the NCAA, Crean’s decision to completely gut the roster and start fresh, and the “New Generation” of Hoosiers selected to be part of the rebuilding phase to bring back the hearts of the faithful fans, I just figured Hulls was recruited to restore some of that lost apple pie image..Hulls being the Bloomington South local boy à la mode to bring back the old school alumni fan base….Fred Glass was our new Aunt Bee….Tom Crean came in as Sheriff Andy Taylor…Tijan Jobe our goodhearted Deputy Barney Fife(the shoot yourself in the foot klutz we all can’t help loving.). And then came Jordy…Wasn’t Jordy to be the star of the show?…Who’s going to watch if Opie is not in an episode? Mayberry has come to Bloomington. But are all the characters finally in place?…All with the exception of Jordy.

All kidding aside, where does Jordan Hulls fit into this basketball program? Where does he fit in if we claim to rights one of those 5-star guards we’re all getting futuristically dreamy over?..Did we recruit the runt with the highest basketball honor from our state so he could blister his butt in his one and only season of realistic playing time before the sea of superstar guards arrive? Is there an upperclassmen honor code that will forever keep him glued to the bench this year? Is Crean reluctant to put Rivers on the bench? Why is he reluctant? What is there to lose? Does he not shine in practice? Practice means crap! Give the kid a chance to lead on the floor…The more Hulls sits on bench, the lower his game will fall..the more his shooting touch will elude…the more his confidence will wane.

Is one outside scoring threat going to be enough to have any shot at winning against teams in the Big Ten; teams that will possess more muscle and experience under the basket than our young Hoosiers?
I’ve had enough time to evaluate Rivers and Jones…..Jones has demonstrated some improvement, but a slow release hampers the slim window of opportunity to take advantage of his open shots from the outside…I think he is still weak driving to the basket and often has trouble protecting the ball in the lane.
Rivers has had spurts of greatness..Also spurts of horrible inconsistency…He is unquestionably athletic ….He’s a powerful kid providing great size to defend the backcourt….There are definite positives on finding considerable minutes for Rivers. Unfortunately, I’ve not been impressed with his decision making and court direction. He has no jump shot…He often bricks free throws(22-38, .579)..If you’re not reliable at the stripe, then is there great advantage in always going hard to the basket? He’ll never be a scoring threat from the outer limits to compliment Creek…The more teams key on Creek, the more difficult it will become for us to find the points from the perimeter…Kentucky clamped down on Creek in the second half and we couldn’t find more points from the outside or in a middle dominated by Kentucky’s athleticism and size…Those cocky 5-stars, anxiously awaiting their one-and-done season to conclude and move on to multimillion dollar contracts and a game where showboating and slacking defense is the norm, were likely given quite the tongue lashing at halftime to start playing defense on Creek…I’m diverting ….Let’s get back to the Hoosiers and Hulls..If not Creek, where will consistency from the outside come? Who will drain the open shot when the window is barely cracked open? Who will claim enough deep scoring respect to draw his defender out and thus free up the middle? In the limited minutes Hulls has played the point guard position, I see more of a floor general. I see a kid that moves the basketball with passes and doesn’t stymie the offense with ridiculous attempts to dribble into crowds and clog up the paint..I see a kid that can shoot the deep 3-ball from corner pocket…With more time on the court he could become equally dangerous as Creek…I see a kid that won’t come up empty at the stripe when he draws fouls driving into the trees…I see a leader. Why should he be erased from opportunity to prove what he can do in a starting role? What better time than now? Three games in December…..Maybe even a Michigan start.. Let him strip himself the Opie Taylor image and show there was a reason he was Mr. Basketball. I think he’s up to the challenge..I think he’s got GAME, GUMPTION, GUTS, and GLORY written all over his GRUMPY face..GIVE Hulls a chance!

Chet
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:05 AM EDT

Best of luck MC. With a good bit of playing time under his belt he is in a good position to learn by watching. Many times this type of thing can be a positive turning point in a player’s career.

Husky Tom
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:10 AM EDT

Great case. Wish I could write that clearly about basketball.

I agree with you on just about everything. Hulls has the oh-so-cliche “intangible” factor in addition to his sharpshooting; he looks like he wants to lead out there. He won a state championship with his high school squad; he knows what pressure is and how to handle it. It is only a matter of time before he becomes accustomed to the pace at this level and stops making silly passes. Like you said, he could also easly mitigate a lot of the effects of Creek’s absence.

One disagreement:

Jones’ is already a very good penetrator, and he is especially a good finisher at the rim. Compare him to someone like Elston, who penetrates well but can’t finish, or Pritchard, who definitely doesn’t finish. His release isn’t hampering him at all, because he has a silky-smooth floater that he can fade with after stopping on a dime. Jones could easily be the one averaging 17 points on this team. Maybe it will happen.

I would go so far as to say that I’d be more bleak about the prospects of a Jones injury than a Creek one.

eric
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:08 PM EDT

I know this has already been posted, but it’s just so appropriate to my feelings right now I’ll do it anyway:

!@#$#^@#$!!!#%@!!$^*$%#$!?(?!@#$@!#$%#$^#$^

Hope the surgery goes well Maurice, we’re with you through it. Anybody that plays with the determination you play with is fine by me!

the materializing mr. hulls
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 1:59 PM EDT

As of last night Hulls is 0.5% away from losing nearly invisibility in kenpom’s ratings. I can’t forget how Korman’s column ended after Loyola (MD):

It was a bad loss. One that shouldn’t have happened. Afterward, Maurice Creek was just a kid headed home for the first time in a while. He might even get to see his girlfriend.

And now this. Poor Mo. I certainly he comes back fully recovered.

Otherwise this completely frees Crean of any high expectations for the season. But the team I think will become stronger as a result. I think we will be 7-11 at the end of the season and lose in the semis of the Big Ten Tourney.

Hulls is great. He has vision. He can learn a lot from Jeremiah and they can and I am sure they will help each other a lot.

D-5
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 4:23 PM EDT

Husky-

Sorry it took so long to respond…trying to catch up on some lost sleep. Wish I could be as positive about the rest of the season. Creek is a natural scorer. This is a Hoosier team that seems very thin on guys that can play under control and make good decisions(hopefully Hulls can add some stability and sense of awareness on the floor).
I still haven’t bought the farm on Verdell…Based on his gradual improvement, he doesn’t really deserve my doubts…I just believe better athletes will bring to the forefront his lack of quickness and strength going to the basket…his deceptive slashing and teardrop floaters may be harder to manufacture against premier guards in the Big 10. I hope I’m wrong..

Hulls can definitely hit the long ball, but his setup time on his jumper could be a problem with his lack of size…Have you noticed how he brings the ball down low before his release?..It’s a bit like a struggling 8th grader with underdeveloped biceps shoots the ball for added push..When I was in junior high school I forced myself to change my shot because of continually being fed my lunch(the same push problem)…I actually decided to bring the ball behind my head and catapult it toward the basket with both arms…Amazingly awkward and ugly form, but after hours and hours on the court, I began to have accuracy with the unorthodox style.. Eventually I learned to bring the ball down and shoot comfortably with truer form and a release point near top of forehead..No more getting fed my lunch from guys a couple inches taller) Sorry for that diversion from topic to bring up my personal failings at hoops …Unfortunately, Hull’s effectiveness will be challenged by the absence of Creek’s complimentary deep threat..Having a respected scorer like Creek on the court was the main factor allowing Hulls to get the needed spacing to deliver his own deep daggers…I still believe he is the best choice for starting point guard…He’s not selfish with the ball and is the best fit for the position/role of team leader on the court…GAME, GUMPTION, GUTS, and GLORY written all over his GRUMPY face.

By the way, there’s not a damn thing wrong with your basketball analysis..You’re being modest for no reason.

Really bummed over losing Creek…

EJ UPDATE: Clippers vs Portland tomorrow night!

D-5
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 4:38 PM EDT

correction: “Unfortunately, [Hulls'] effectiveness will be challenged by the absence of Creek’s complimentary deep threat..”

SmokeyDental1
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 8:37 PM EDT

The expressions that Chris Howell caught of the players reactions in one of the greatest sports photos I have ever seen.

plaque buildup
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 8:43 PM EDT

Put the plaque in Creek’s hospital room….Big freakin’ deal.

wedding invitations
Thursday, June 3, 2010 - 4:43 AM EDT

Your theme and colours of the wedding invitations should be incorporated into the final design, whether you decide on a more traditional approach or a more unique and contemporary design it should compliment your own personal tastes. Many more brides today are choosing to go with the more wedding invitations as a way of self expression. Once upon a time pure white and cream were traditionally used, now there is no limit on the colours and designs being included on wedding invitation wording . Flowers and bells are extremely common yet always the favorite for couples who wish for their wedding invitations to be as elaborate as possible. Now brides have a choice of more color styles, font styles and paper options. Choose with care. Is your wedding invites going to be timelessly traditional and formal, or contemporary and unique? Whatever your style make it your expression of your wedding day.

#25 Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 4:28 AM EDT

#26 Thursday, September 2, 2010 - 3:25 AM EDT

bmw dvd radio e53 is 70 years of this century, jointly developed by the U.S. armed forces a new generation of bmw x5 aftermarket dvd and positioning system. aftermarket navigation for x5 use the latest trend is the Bluetooth (Bluetooth) wireless technology, GPS receiver bmw x5 e53 navi. dvd sent over the signal. This x5 aftermarket navigation only needs to receive and process satellite signals, the map display device is responsible for the storage and location of overlap. e53 aftermarket can be used to show you the way magellan gps in addition to bmw e53 aftermarket navigation. As the “only acceptable, do not launch” signal is a x5 e53 navication . it is a major feature, so for the security of the bmw x5 aftermarket navigation system is to aid communication networks and supporting bmw navigation aftermarket to the government vehicle anti-theft GPS device, the cost of providing collection solutions. The aftermarket radio with navigation for bmw x5???? apparatus by receiving satellite signals, the electronic map data, timely control of their own orientation and destination autonomous aftermarket dvd player for bmw x5 mode does not charge any user fees, users can choose according to their need to purchase map data. bmw x5 e53 navi. map database from a variety of channels, the most important source of city government agencies to provide the block database. On a good x5 e53 navigation, map number, accuracy and timeliness of data, are important.

#28 Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 10:02 PM EDT

Great Jacket
I recently purchased this The North Face Jackets and am thrilled with the features and warmth. north face jacket fits very well. I am 6′ tall, 190 lbs with a 34″ waist, 44″ shoulders and was told a large would be fine. After ordering the large, I exchanged for an XL. The large was tight in the arms and shoulders and did not leave much room for movement. IF you are unsure or in between sizes, I would recommend the next size up. northface-jackets.com was very prompt with the exchange and i will purchase anyother The North Face Backpacks and other North Face Accessories.

#29 Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 3:41 AM EDT

Thanks for your sharing, good job!
For me, gucci outlet has always been not dared to spend at discount gucci handbags, on the one hand buy nfl jerseys which is expensive, the other hand, gucci sale with somewhat psychological effects in my mind – in “Sweet Sweet” where Maggie Cheung guided a tour to gucci outlet online the United States, the one next gucci sneakers the Statue of Liberty looks like selling vegetables Aunt of nfl jerseys for sale the old lady asked out loud: “Miss guides, when took us to buy discount gucci shoes?” When I saw the movies the mind came out that how did gucci handbags sale offend the director Peter Chan, who could come up buy jerseys online such a Road Section made fun to this super brand gucci men shoes comes from the Italian.
Later I knew that after went to Hong Kong, gucci sunglasses the fact is that Hong Kong people really love the gucci hats, a Hong Kong friend told me that as long as the end of the year when the Gucci Apparelin discounting, any gucci shoes for men store will be lining up the street from the gucci belts store. Hong Kong’s streets, one out of Gucci Boots for Women five middle-aged women carrying a Gucci Sandals, and nine point ten paragraph have printed over GG gucci women shoes Code Logo. But it seems that as long as a mention gucci hats for men, my mind can think of only the Logo of double-G Gucci Trousers, up to then somewhat complex deformation of men gucci sweater classical Chinese bamboo handbags Eurya hand gucci jeans.obviously, gucci bikini with a monotonous in addition to the luxurious.

#30 Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 9:23 PM EDT

Although yiwu china we yiwu come back, one dollar store but the captain has china wholesale not wholesale shoes from china come promotional products back, we strongly wholesale kids’ shoes demand the Japanese side wholesale lady’s shoes to immediately wholesale athletic shoes release, as we are looking wholesale boots forward to the early wholesale sneakers masters and their wholesale sports shoes families. “At 12:30 on September wholesale casual shoes 7, Chinese fishery Command wholesale dress shoes Center duty officer’s office then informed the parties concerned, said the fishing boats in Fujian, “Min Jin Yue 5179″ in

#32 Monday, October 11, 2010 - 10:15 AM EDT

People are generally happier when they’re living a life of meaning. and while you may not be able to cast off all of your worldly posessions in search of the true meaning of life, you can get involved in a cause that’s important to you with minimal time, effort or cost. How restlessly we pace the aisles, bing the minutes for nike air max light shoes loitering –waiting, waiting, waiting for womens nike air max station.Sooner or later, we must realize there is no station, no one air max ltd classic place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of air max shoes store life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. In stead, climb more nike air max mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more women air max shoes sunsets, laugh more, cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come men air max shoes soon enough. Tucked away in our nike air max shoes subconscious is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long nike air max 2010 trip that spans the continent. We are traveling by train. Out air max 2009 windows, we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at nike red air max 2009 crossing, of cattle grazing on air max 95 black distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon nike air 95 row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling air max 90 hillsides, of city skylines and village halls. But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain blue air max 90 for women day at a certain hour, we will pull into the station. Bands will be playing and flags air max shoes waving. Once we get there, so many wonderful dreams will come true and the pieces of our black nike air max shoes lives will fit together like a completed jigsaw puzzle. HYD

#34 Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 8:33 AM EDT

Chicago Bears sweat-resistant that have Carolina Panthers

been getting applied by each and every NHL team. The uniforms–dubbed "The Edge"–have met with mixed critiques and clubs are still tweaking the designs.

#35 Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 10:04 PM EDT

All of these promotional products, trade show giveaways and items can be written off as marketing expenses and make great gifts for any promotional novelty, whether it be formal, informal — whether your clients are down the street, across the country or even around the world

Comments