Is Knight warming up?

IU_BB_PITTSBURGH

Bob Knight prepares for ESPN’s halftime show at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday. Chris Howell | Herald-Times

ESPN tried to give Bob Knight an out. At halftime of last night’s Indiana-Pitt game, with Bob Knight seated next to John Saunders and Digger Phelps, the proposed topic was the first game, between Butler and Georgetown. But Knight said he wanted to talk about the second game and then said, “Indiana has really dominated the inside.” Phelps tried to bring it back to Georgetown, and Knight took it back to IU, citing how the Hoosiers were getting to the free throw line as a reason for their success.

Chris Korman and I were shocked. So were many of the live chat participants. What was your reaction? Does this mean Knight is slowly warming to Indiana, and that maybe his reason for not attending the Hall of Fame ceremony was legitimate, and not just a convenient excuse? Or is this just Knight jabbing ESPN for assuming he wouldn’t want to talk about something happening right in front of him? Or was it something else?

• Wes says:

The question I want answered is, did Fred Glass speak to Bob Knight last night?

• John F says:

At one point when Coach Knight, in referring to IU said We. I thought that was interesting.

• kurk81 says:

Is Bob slowly warming to IU? Is he contrary enough to do the opposite of whatever he’s asked to do? Is he willing to let people associate him with IU only when they’re winning? Yes, yes, and yes.

• Help says:

I think this deserves a TiVo rewind and transcript of IU related topics.

• PARPP says:

I was hard on him for not coming, because it really punishes his fans that have supported him for decades. Knight can and will do things his way, he knows the doors to IU are wide open now with an AD and Coach that appreciate him. I hope the thawing continues, and we see coach Knight back at IU. He still has legions of fans. He isnt getting any younger, so I want him back in the fold ASAP.

• tkecmom says:

If you will recall it was never the players or the coaches with which he had an issue. It was the adminstration. He will rise above this feeling for the administration to give credit to good effort by the players and coaches.

• Jeff says:

I would love to know when he said “we” because I find that extremely interesting.

• PARPP says:

Im sure he stuck with the free throw observation, because going to the line was a staple in Knights game preparation and execution. He appreciated that and wanted to highlight it.

• Bass Pro says:

NO! I think he wants to put Tom Crean in a chokehold and shin kick him back to Marquette. That’s how much he loves Indiana.

• clayfeat says:

I heard Coach Knight found a check payable to him in the amount of $75,000 taped to his seat. Is that true?

• Wisco says:

I agree, Jeff. I want confirmation that he said ‘We.’

• H.B. says:

He may occasionally exhibit the maturity of a 5-year-old, but one can say this about Bob Knight: When someone tells him to do a job, he does it.

I’m sure he saw this game on his schedule and gave a big groan. But ESPN said “get in there and provide commentary at halftime” and he did it. It was very professional of him to put his work ahead of his feelings about Indiana. I’m also fairly sure that he finally feels that, after eight years, we found a proper replacement for him…he and Tom Crean seem to be very similar as far as dedication to basketball and academics.

• eric says:

I’m not a psychologist, but I know a Freudian slip when I see, er, hear, one. ‘We’ is a classic Freudian slip. His true feelings still lead him to use ‘we’ when referring to Indiana, but he won’t do so consciously, only when his subconscious slips out.

Surely those feelings will rise to the surface eventually and at some point he’ll reestablish contact. It would be a win-win situation. We don’t benefit from the estrangement. He doesn’t benefit from carrying that bitterness around all the time. The ‘we’ and the ‘he’ are parts of the same whole. Come on back into the family, Coach Knight, we’re all waiting for you.

Good grief I sound like Dr. Phil or something.

• east says:

I don’t think the HOF has anything to do with it. I think Bob was just doing his job and probably jabbing ESPN a little as you said.

• tkecmom says:

It would thrill many of us to no end to see the wall between IU and Coach Knight come down. Those of us who had the pleasure of working with him in some manner have a great deal of respect for him. My son went to his camp as an elementary school player and absolutely loved him. Coach Knight, keep that “we” thing going.

• Jay says:

Bob Knight always has and always will appreciate good basketball and that is what he was speaking towards. I suspect he would have made those comments no matter what uniform the team was wearing. It was nice that he did not let the fact that it was Indiana have a negative effect.

I would like to clarify one thing. In my opinion, Knight probably sees IU Basketball and IU the institution as two different entities. Knight’s “beef” is with the institution, not the Men’s Basketball program. In that sense, the use of “we” is directed only towards the basketball program. It was nice to see Bob Knight talking about Indiana Basketball once again. After all, he was the most influential person that positioned it as one of the most successful programs in college basketball history.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Regardless of any or all the analyzing of actions taken by coach Knight, the one constant is he always does as he wants to and will never do what he does not. Depending on your site of observation those actions are good or bad but RMK’s compass is always pointed in the same direction.

• compass says:

That was a brilliant Clarion moment.

• Hank says:

Bob Knight did say “we” in the halftime report and analysis, but he was talking directly to Digger Phelps about the two of them as coaches. He said “… and one thing we have always taught about, you and I …” and he went on to talk about getting to the FT line.

I agree that Knight does respect good basketball. His beef is, as others have said, it NOT with Crean or the current team, but the administration and the University in general.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Another brilliant critique by the Compass.

• Marq says:

It would be nice if both Bobby Knight and the officials at IU could bury the hatchet and move on. It is time to MOVE ON past this.

I hope this is an indication Knight is finally moving on.

• Laffy says:

I’m just glad he finally shaved his eyebrows so he doesn’t look like Andy Rooney anymore.

• STLHOOS says:

I think it was an interesting situation. Saunders and Digger were clearly trying to stear clear of IU talk, which I thought was very unfair to the teams who had just battled through the first half. Miraculously RMK took the high road and took it upon himself to give the kids the credit they deserved for a well played first half. Kudos to him. However, it was clear he hasn’t seen any IU games lately when he made the comment that the big guys for IU were dominating down low.
    I don’t think it should be viewed as anything more than RMK giving credit when credit was due. Anyone expecting him to come running across a dewy meadow with open arms toward Bloomington will continue to be disappointed. Lets not get too carried away with over analyzing anything this man does as only he knows his true intentions.

• Dave says:

I’ve never seen him this color sweater before, usually it’s that green or navy one that he and Woody trade between the two of them. When was the last time he wore the red sweater he made famous? Now that’s a Freudian slip (sweater) I’d like to see!

• Tsao Tsu Gonzalez says:

This is simply the Bob Knight who set the curve for honesty, directness and integrity. He saw a good effort by the Hoosiers and said so. There is nothing that surprises in the statement.

We gained so much in terms of basketball, knowledge about teaching and personal integrity from Knight. Many of us still feel that was IU’s finest hour.

A good job by coach Crean. Intelligent,focused, basketball knowledgeable Hoosiers will now just back off and give him the space continue to teach good basketball.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

Indiana football spring game 2016

• Jeremy Price:

Might I recommend checking my weekly in-season updates in Trending Now [...]

• Rico Chet:

Is it true Troy Williams is committed to stay in the NBA draft? [...]

• t:

Oh, I remember her making commitment now. Slipped my mind about her. [...]

• Ben_M:

My sources close to Scuggs high school team said one year ago he was a [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies: