Indiana 81, Minnesota 78 (OT)

Verdell Jones III celebrates with teammates.

Photos today by new H-T intern James Brosher.

Verdell Jones hit the key basket at 0:32 of overtime to give Indiana its second league win Sunday night at Assembly Hall.

The Hoosiers (8-9, 2-3) are now tied with Purdue, currently the No. 6 team in the country, in the conference standings.

As the final buzzer sounded, the students rushed the court. Rising above the celebration was a huge cutout of Dwight Schrute’s head, his lips locked in that trademark grin.

Perhaps you’ve heard whispers of how unusual basketball in Bloomington has become. We’ll, it’s true.

Unusual and, on this night for these fans, magical.

More to come throughout the night.

Here are the final stats for you to review.

And a few audio files for you to listen to:

Tom Pritchard fights for a rebound.

• Let me be the first to extend a middle finger to stevealford, the redneck Crean Hater.

• lala says:

lol, ill second the middle finger to them as well.

• Maxey says:

I 3rd that

• Meg says:

It was an awesome, high-energy game! So glad I was able to be there to see it! It was actually my very first IU game and I had a blast. Go IU!

• hoosierhoop says:

“…how unusual basketball in Bloomington has become.”

So glad you mentioned this Chris. Watching on TV several states away, I can only scratch my head. So many non-basketball related gadgets in the student section…rushing the court after defeating Minnesota?…the apathetic people sitting behind the benches acting like they barely care about the outcome…sloppy play often applauded.

So glad for the win today. But in no way can I claim to understand the basketball culture that has been forming around B’town the past decade…different for certain…and agreeing with you Chris, at the very least, unusual.

• steve says:

great high energy win!! the best is yet to come,
    Thanks, Tom Crean .Now that’s IU basketball

• J Pat says:

hoosierscoop, this is hard to put in words but I really think that it is because the students want for IU basketball to be good again, they want it soooooo badly that they rush the court after an OT win vs Minny and other times. I did not mind the big heads at first but now they are worn out and people cannot see when sitting behind them. With that said, great win for the program. Does anyone else think conservative play at the end of second half almost cost IU the game in the long run?

• stevealford says:

I’m as happy as anybody about tonight’s win, but are you really that excited to have a losing record?
    I don’t know if I am more disgusted by Crean or the people with absolutely no pride who stormed the court after beating a lowly Minnesota team who is 1-4 on the road this year.

• Give it up! says:

And I thought I needed another hobby.

• iual88 says:

This was a good win, in terms of the moral for the IU team. They could have easily slipped back into the old script of letting the game slip completely away in the second half.

However, they win despite themselves. Terrible free throw shooting, Watford fumbling and bumbling on defense, Rivers; a point guard who can’t shoot free throws, mid range jumpers, or 3 pointers. Jones, hot and cold.

Despite this, Jones was on when he had to be, Pritchard improving, Watford improving on rebounding, Elston contributing, Dumes providing the spark of the bench.

Why not rush the floor? The team deserves the support. Yes it’s Minnesota, but we’re not quite IU either….yet.

• GFDave says:

J Pat. The problem is you have to have people who can get their own shot as the shot clock expires. We don’t have many of those people yet. So yeah, it was risky.

• Kale says:

Nice try Alford. You’re a fraud IU fan. We weren’t perfect but we got the win. The team will build in this.

• DD says:

Leave it to stevealford to find the black cloud in every silver lining.

A young, outgunned IU team just gutted out a gritty, OT victory over a superior conference foe and all you can think to do is slam people as having “no pride” for celebrating a big win?

It’s time to find a new team to follow, steve. You’re a dynamite forum troll and I give you full credit for that, but there comes a point where, if you’re not enjoying watching a team play, it’s time to switch allegiances. I’m sure it must hurt as much for you to willingly bang your head against a wall as it does us for you to force us to watch you.

• Bettor says:

Storming the court after beating Minnesota.

Ridiculous giant heads/bricks in the student section.

This is what IU basketball has become?

• J Pat says:

GFDave, my buddy came down from Chicago for the game, he said the same thing!!!

• Hoosier ClairHuxtible says:

Bettor and Aflord- F you both. IU basketball hasn’t been anything since 1987. Wake up.

I love this team. They are out their battling and rebuilding; giving us pleasure and pain in liberal doses. Yet, they have knocked off a 14 win team, a 12 win team, and an 11 win team already, and we still have many games to play. Enjoy the process. Don’t bring your petty garbage to a happy forum of real fans.

If I were at a game with you two, I’d punch you both in the face.

• Brad says:

Hoosier ClairHuxtible, Couldn’t have said it better!

• Chet says:

J Pat-Yeah, the conservative play probably cut the lead but they’re still trying to find out what they can do best. I remember lots of games Dean Smith lost with his famous “4 corners” offense. Or, it could have been just me. I turned away from football and to the game when they were up 15.

• Chet says:

I am surprised that stevealford actually posted. I figured he’d wait until the next loss. I respect someone who is willing to look like an idiot in bad times as well as good.

• KevinK says:

I am so proud of this team and the progress it has made. No way we win that game, or even compete in it last year. Everybody that played contributed something positive. Is it still frustrating some times? Absolutely. Do I scratch holes in my head sometimes? Yep.

But they are resilient, play for each other, and bust their butts on that floor!

Hasn’t been like that around here for awhile. IMHO.

I appreciate their effort. Congratulations to the whole team.

• stevealford says:

Some of you people see nothing wrong with storming the court after a win against Minnesota?
    These are embarrassing times.
    However it is always good to get a win, and Jordan Hulls is going to be a future star in the Big Ten.

• I remember Bloomington the night when the Hoosiers beat Oklahoma and advanced to the title game against Maryland. March 30, 2002. It wasn’t that long ago, I bet most of you remember it, except perhaps the Hoosier ClairHuxtible who claims that “IU basketball hasn’t been anything since 1987.” Such a statement packs both ignorance and asininity and he’ll punch you in the face too, buddy. Because you are a redneck!

But that night students stormed Bloomington and celebrated through the night completely unaware of how ridiculous they were. Little did they know that had they kept their emotions in check and wait another seven years and ten months they’d finally found a real reason to celebrate: Crean’s third Big Ten win, an OT home win against Minnesota. In other words: a banner moment.

So Crean has now three Big Ten wins! Think about it: just as many as Bob Knight has national titles. Hell, let’s see if that crusty, ill tempered old man can still ignore him now!

• davis says:

I love the fact that these so called IU fans have nothing better to do on a sunday night than watch a game, a great game I might add, and then come whine about it. This team is trying its best to turn the corner, we will see if tonight acomplished that or not. Guys like stevealford and bettor need to find a new team to root for, scum like you two are worthless and have no place in the IU fandom. As for 3 wins in the big ten, get over it, its the 2nd year of a complete program collapse. Oh Hail the General and his three championships, if that makes you feel better then keep reminding us of the past! Im looking toward the future!

• BrianEvans says:

i honestly do not know how anyone who was at this game could be pleased with the way the team played, the way the coach coached, or the way the fans acted.

i don’t know what type of groupthink got all the posters on this blog to adopt a kindergarten, all-smiles, “we-dont-know-&*E#-about good basketball or IU bball” mentality. but enough it enough.

are you serious, our team was so poorly coached down the stretch we were poised to give away another win if only we weren’t so lucky as to have MN step out of bounds on that final steal. the sad thing is that our team has such bad fundamentals and ball handling that before that play i was thinking that it would be great if we could finish in regulation with a tie. by some miracle i got my wish.

maybe this year, maybe next year, maybe 5 years from now you will realize this fact; we are talented a talented but undisciplined underachieving team. at some point crean is going to have to be held accountable for out teams sloppy play, and his ridiculous semblance of an offense.

or how about crean’s set plays that he drew up during at time out that resulted in vj3 fade away jumpers as the shot clock runs out. how is that acceptable? also, our man to man offense is laughable. i sat there wondering in my seat why god has cursed me with three consecutive coaches that seem determined to make their hapless teams spend over half their offensive possessions at midcourt. if you were someone who knew nothing about IU basketball you would think that we get some type of superpower by dribbling the ball near the state of indiana on the court.

or what about all the whining and complaining the hoosiers are doing with the refs. wake up TP, you are fouling people… alot, the world is not out to get you. or vj3 throwing a temper tantrum against Bobby “the situation” Copobianco in the Michigan game, and crean still kept him in the game!!! how is this acceptable?

at what point in this season or the next is christian watford going to be encouraged by our coaching staff to use his ankles? when i see him run it looks like hes on a sand dune not on the hardwood. i mean the guy would be a terror if he simply played on his toes like anyone else who is trying to jump and be agile.

and finally, and perhaps this is naive of me, why must our fans lower their standards after one horrible season. shall we forfeit all respectability and rush the court after a win against MN, what is this the patriot league?? (they probably wouldnt even do it for a MN win). I am sick of all this “well good for the kids, well they deserve this.” IU basketball is a tradition, the fans are a part of this tradition. so these past two seasons werent fun enough and now were just gonna rush the court for any old win. thats called abandoning a historic expactation of excellence for no reason other than that we want things to be a little more fun immediately. its selfishness.

As a lifelong indiana fan, this is what i think i deserve: an offense that sets offball screens. a team that is fundamentally sound, players that carry themselves with respectability and class, and a coach gets his players(however talented they may be) to play above their individual talent levels, and a coach who can execute simple things that coaches are supposed to do (like drawing up inbounds plays, final shot plays).

• ronb says:

You disrespect the name of Brian Evans by posting this total piece of thoughtless crap and the same for others who post using former players names. Go back to Purdue and post on their blog and do so using Gene Keady or Painter’s name. They like these type of encouraging postings up there. Oh yes, IU and PU are tied in the big ten standings so they need your help.

Comments are closed.

WIll Indiana make the NCAA Tournament?

IU vs Penn State men's basketball

• t:

Pretty typical regarding current era of IU men's basketball. Teaser g [...]

• Chet:

Wow. Never saw that coming... Just kidding. [...]

• Two Words:

Disappointing loss. [...]

Find Kentucky basketball coverage on VaughtsViews.com - Find Notre Dame football coverage on NDInsider.com. © Hoosier Times Inc., all rights reserved.