New football uniforms won’t be quite ready for spring game

About a week ago in one of our Q&A sessions, someone asked about the new football uniforms and when they might be unveiled. Pat Kraft, Indiana’s senior assistant athletic director for marketing, says IU is still in back and forth discussions with Adidas about style and feel and such, so the initial hope that the Hoosiers might wear them in the spring game on April 17 won’t happen. He said it’s possible that IU could unveil the jerseys that day, maybe putting a jersey on display somewhere, but there’s no way of outfitting the entire team by that point.

Speaking of the spring game, Kraft says IU’s marketing department plans on turning it up a notch for that. He said he’ll have a better idea of what that means specifically at around the beginning of April.

• cln says:

I have a bad feeling about these uniforms. Maybe its that I’ve seen too many crummy Nike designs over time. Oregon? New Mich St. helmets?

• axl says:

lipstick on a pig.

• Jimmy says:

Well, for one thing, we wear adidas products, not Nike. Also, its not like we’re making some giant change here. The one prototype we saw still had Hoosiers on the front in the same font, and we aren’t changing up the logo or color like when Cameron was here.

Also, its nice to know that someone felt the need to basically refer to IU’s college athletes as “pigs”.

• HiggiStardust says:

What the hell is wrong with the current uniforms?

• HiggiStardust says:

What the hell is wrong with the current uniforms? Don’t tell me IU is aiming to be the Oregon of the Midwest!

• lala says:

yea because the uniforms were the big problem for the team. is lynch considering spraying the field crimson too?

• axl says:

actually, Jimmy, I was referring to the attempt of prettying up something that is incredibly ugly instead of making the serious changes that the program needs.

but whatever, man. you obviously missed the lecture on simile.

• Jimmy says:

Aaaand…here we go. lala, you realize that Lynch doesn’t focus on the uniforms, right? They have people in the AD that focus on this stuff.

But hey, let the insanity continue. No one has ever changed uniforms before. Nothing can ever change until we go 12-0. THIS IS ALL ON LYNCH!111!!!

• A501 says:

Jimmy, we need to make another bowl first. 12-0 is a stretch. I just want to “Play 13” again.

• cln says:

I, for one, never understood why we got rid of the “Play 13” motto. Did we go back to just wanting to play 12?

• Jeremyk says:

Oregon’s unis are awesome.

• Casey says:

Getting new uniforms and focusing on improving the team are not mutually exclusive.

Why not look at the uniform revamp as a sign that the athletic department is finally taking football more seriously (also see: $40 million end-zone addition, building largest workout facility in the country)?

And to echo Jimmy’s point, Lynch is not cutting time out of his coaching schedule to go pick out uniforms and compare fabric types. I’m pretty sure there’s a completely unrelated team of people devoted to taking care of that.

How about this: New uniforms AND a better football team. Stop freaking out, people. And stop being perpetually negative. If the changing of uniforms puts you in a bad mood, you seriously need to consider following another sport/team.

• Wisco says:

Change? What? Why would they ever consider doing something different than it has been done before? Did they forget they are in the State of Indiana?

• Dougy says:

i thought they already revealed the new jerseys? maybe even on this site? or hoosier hype? a few months ago?

• cln says:

The best unis were the Mallory-era ones with the block I helmet. I think we are still paying a kharma-penalty for the Camron-era black helmets. And potentially for hiring Camron in the first place.

• Jubilee says:

Why don’t we get Urban from Florida? He needs less stress…no stress or pressure at IU. Win, Win.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

The IU pitchfork has been the logo standard for the school for a long while. I really never understood how the AD’s department could allow any deviation from Cam or Mallory. The idea is continuity for school identification not the individual team. Adopting it and the color crimson for the department was the only thing McNeely did right. I still like to see us use the true color cream. Everybody uses white and some other color. I always thought the student section at games could call themselves the “Pitchfork Battalion”. Does nybody know the history of the logo? I’d like to know.

• PARPP says:

I don’t associate the IU logo as a pitchfork, I must have missed something. I do agree that tradition is good, but upgrading it with a modern touch is nice. Completly deviating from the I or the IU logo is just grasping at straws to make a change. This is what highly paid people do, sit around and come up with silly ideas like this, just to say they did something.

• Hoosier4Life says:

On gamedays I walk through the hall to the Hoosier Hundred room underneath the stadium and one thing always captures my mind and thoughts as I look at the teams from our past bowls. THE “I” on the helmets. The Hoosiers have only been going to bowls whne they have had the “I” on the helmet. One might think that during our last bowl we didn’t, which is true but to get to that bowl we wore the “I” helmet during the amazing last second win against purdue. Just a thought…I am only 26 and have been coming to football and basketball ever since I can remember. I am just saying that we need to respect our past and stick with tradition and bring back the block “I” helmets.

• Sallad says:

It’s not a pitchfork, it’s called the “Interlock.”

Around campus you can see older, more stylized versions of it, it’s just gotten blockier (And therefore more legible) over time.

• Mike W says:

Can’t we just leave the fricking uniforms alone? Keep it simple and traditional. The “Cam-Shaft” era uniforms were the butt ugliest ever! The uniforms we’ve had the last couple of years are prefect. What’s our obsession with changing uniforms? I don’t get it? Do they expect to hide from our dismal football past and think new uniforms will help us win?! Focus on the facilities, marketing and personnel. Quit playing games with the unis.

Having said that, I can’t wait to tailgate at the stadium on Apr. 17th! Bring on the football, baby!

• A couple clarifications. The logo on the helmets definitely will not change. The pictures of uniforms that showed up on this site were of one of several models IU was considering. And yes, the people who deal with Adidas on uniform changes are in the marketing wing of the athletic department and are not wasting time that would be better spent recruiting or game-planning. They aren’t involved in those things.
    Carry on.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

I suppose there are some who might refer to the logo as a candelabra. That would be high tone.

Comments are closed.

WIll Indiana make the NCAA Tournament?

IU vs Iowa men's basketball

• Chet:

Man, you're all over the map. It's like having a dialogue with cloudy [...]

• Podunker:

dingo44, quit while you're ahead. Crean's teams have defeated 5 of 6 [...]

• Podunker:

Chet, schools like UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and Louisville did not [...]

• davis:

HC- Yeah, the contract makes sense (if I may distill your post). Both [...]

• Harvard for Hillbillies:

So the team Davis took to a Championship was composed of guys that cam [...]

• Chet:

Bobby Knight tore down Bobby Knight. He didn't need any help. I don' [...]

• Chet:

They came to Indiana. He only got Texas A&M to be slightly above [...]

Find Kentucky basketball coverage on VaughtsViews.com - Find Notre Dame football coverage on NDInsider.com. © Hoosier Times Inc., all rights reserved.