Watkinson will train Gordon

Jeff Watkinson, the highly respected strength and conditioning coach for IU basketball, has accepted a job working with former Hoosier Eric Gordon. He’ll be a personal basketball development coach for Gordon, who plays with the Los Angeles Clippers.

It’s unclear right now who will take over the team’s off-season workouts — or when they’ll need to, as it’s unclear when Watkinson’s last day is — but surely Indiana coach Tom Crean will move quickly to put someone in place.

More to come.

• Casey says:

Quite a testament to his abilities, to be hired from Indiana by a team way out in LA.

• 4guards says:

This is a huge loss.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

I always suspected getting Gordon for one and done would cost us something. Now we pay the invoice. Good luck in LA.

• Billton says:

Ouch!!

• Nate Stainbrook says:

4Guards is right… This is a huge loss for this team… I hope CTC can bring someone in that can come close to Jeffs abilities as a strength coach…

• Buckwheat says:

Huge loss for us. We need a replacement very soon and along the same caliber as Watkinson.

• BeatPurdue says:

Eric where is the love? Let Jeff continue to work in B-town, and you come down and train in B-town until you have to report to training camp in October. That would be nice!

• Idlewil says:

Who can blame the guy? Training at the next level Im sure is a dream come true. Dont be a hater.

• RHF says:

Huge loss?? Are you serious?? Jeff is a great strength and conditioning coach, but lets be real. Oh, I forgot the sky is always falling when 4 guards, steve alford or whatever his name is, has something to say. I think the team will somehow manage to get through these troubled times with Jeff leaving. Im not sure how, but I think they will find a way.

• CREAN_apologist says:

Maybe 4 guards will get his wish if Izzo takes the Cavs job,and MSU hires Crean.That opens the door for 4guards man’Alford’.I doubt that MSU will hire the “tanned one”.

• Brad says:

Count me in the group that does NOT consider this a huge loss. A loss, yes. Watkinson, by all accounts, was a great strength and conditioning coach, but thats it. Not an assistant. Not a player. Not a recruit. He can be replaced. I’m not sure how much he made compared to a guy at a place like St Vincents, but if they are close, that is where I would start.

• Casey says:

The guy’s in charge of Creek’s rehabilitation.

It’s a significant loss because of the timing, in my opinion.

• SlambamajamarampajamabankshotinUrbana says:

Gordon wants to get stronger?…That’s like the Pope wanting to be holier. (0:22 mark)

• 4guards says:

I think some of you don’t understand how important a good strength and conditioning coach is.
    I think it would be great if Izzo leaves. There is no way that MSU would want to hire Crean though. I wish, but I really think they can do a lot better.

• 4guards says:

MSU can do better than Crean. I hope for that scenario, but don’t think it will happen.
    Some of you underestimate the importance of a good strength and conditioning coach.

• Jimmy says:

We heard you the first time.

• Casey says:

I don’t think it’s as severe of a loss as 4guards is painting it to be. But it’s definitely more significant than most people are saying, in my opinion.

This guy is in charge of our players’ physical development, their diets, injury rehabilitation and their daily workouts. Especially given that we’re in the midst of rehabbing two key players in Creek and Roth, it’s untimely to have him step down before those processes are over.

Perhaps Wat will help identify strong candidates for his replacement.

• HoosEyes says:

FWIW Korman’s twitter said Watkinson will be around during the “transition period”, I assume that means until a suitable replacement is found. In that case, the blow is lessened in regards to the timing that Casey refers to…

• Casey says:

Very true, HoosEyes.

He’s been around for a while, and it’d seem he’s simply leaving for a better opportunity — not looking to hang IU out to dry.

I’m happy that his hard work over all the years has paid off for him on a personal level. And like I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up aiding in the search for a replacement a little. I imagine he’d be able to provide a few names of viable options.

• Danny says:

I’m pretty sure Tim Garl has been in charge of Creek’s rehab..? don’t know about Roth.

• southport65 says:

This should not be a big surprise. Sure he is good but he was Sampson’s guy and IU was his 5th school. He has always chased the money and I think EG sees a shot at getting someone good at the Clippers. They have a long history of key players being injured and he will help them get better by being stronger. I think he did the right thing for him to step up to the next level and he has done a good job here but there are a lot of IU grads who could fill this job.
    Come on coach pick an IU grad.

• Casey says:

Yeah, you might be right Danny.

If that’s the case, this certainly hurts less.

• 4guards says:

Crean pick an IU grad????
    hahahahhaha. That was a good one.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

JW has been working with Gordon since sometime last year, flying back and forth from LA repeatedly. So he has been double-clutching with IU for a long time and finely has made the decision to leave for the Clippers. His expertise is an area of study that has boomed for a dozen years or more and their are many top-notch candidates. So his loss can and will be neutralized with another quality person. I am confident Coach Crean will hire a high caliber performer to work in Cook Hall.

• Caddyshack Committee says:

There will be a committee…There will be a search…There will be a list of names to evaluate. There will be a hire.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

Who will be IU's starting quarterback this fall?

• 123:

T and Po- i agree that 8-4 is a stretch but I think this team has tha [...]

• Podunker:

In theory, every team has a chance to have a winning record. But I th [...]

• t:

The key word or appropriate word is hope. Same old comments forever r [...]

• 123: