Watkinson will train Gordon

28 comments by   |   Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 4:08 pm EDT

Jeff Watkinson, the highly respected strength and conditioning coach for IU basketball, has accepted a job working with former Hoosier Eric Gordon. He’ll be a personal basketball development coach for Gordon, who plays with the Los Angeles Clippers.

It’s unclear right now who will take over the team’s off-season workouts — or when they’ll need to, as it’s unclear when Watkinson’s last day is — but surely Indiana coach Tom Crean will move quickly to put someone in place.

More to come.

Related content: Read more in Men's Basketball

Purdue vs. Indiana alumni game this Saturday
Oladipo, Zeller named to USA Select Team
IU target Spalding commits to Louisville
Crean putting together vision for guard-oriented team
Spalding enjoying IU, recruiting process
Casey
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 4:14 PM EDT

Quite a testament to his abilities, to be hired from Indiana by a team way out in LA.

4guards
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 4:34 PM EDT

This is a huge loss.

Hoosier Clarion
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 4:53 PM EDT

I always suspected getting Gordon for one and done would cost us something. Now we pay the invoice. Good luck in LA.

Billton
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 4:56 PM EDT

Ouch!!

Nate Stainbrook
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 5:01 PM EDT

4Guards is right… This is a huge loss for this team… I hope CTC can bring someone in that can come close to Jeffs abilities as a strength coach…

Buckwheat
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 6:01 PM EDT

Huge loss for us. We need a replacement very soon and along the same caliber as Watkinson.

BeatPurdue
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 6:43 PM EDT

Eric where is the love? Let Jeff continue to work in B-town, and you come down and train in B-town until you have to report to training camp in October. That would be nice!

Idlewil
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 6:46 PM EDT

Who can blame the guy? Training at the next level Im sure is a dream come true. Dont be a hater.

RHF
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 7:16 PM EDT

Huge loss?? Are you serious?? Jeff is a great strength and conditioning coach, but lets be real. Oh, I forgot the sky is always falling when 4 guards, steve alford or whatever his name is, has something to say. I think the team will somehow manage to get through these troubled times with Jeff leaving. Im not sure how, but I think they will find a way.

CREAN_apologist
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 8:27 PM EDT

Maybe 4 guards will get his wish if Izzo takes the Cavs job,and MSU hires Crean.That opens the door for 4guards man’Alford’.I doubt that MSU will hire the “tanned one”.

Brad
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 10:08 PM EDT

Count me in the group that does NOT consider this a huge loss. A loss, yes. Watkinson, by all accounts, was a great strength and conditioning coach, but thats it. Not an assistant. Not a player. Not a recruit. He can be replaced. I’m not sure how much he made compared to a guy at a place like St Vincents, but if they are close, that is where I would start.

Casey
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 10:13 PM EDT

The guy’s in charge of Creek’s rehabilitation.

It’s a significant loss because of the timing, in my opinion.

SlambamajamarampajamabankshotinUrbana
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 10:18 PM EDT

Gordon wants to get stronger?…That’s like the Pope wanting to be holier. (0:22 mark)

4guards
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 10:19 PM EDT

I think some of you don’t understand how important a good strength and conditioning coach is.
I think it would be great if Izzo leaves. There is no way that MSU would want to hire Crean though. I wish, but I really think they can do a lot better.

4guards
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 10:33 PM EDT

MSU can do better than Crean. I hope for that scenario, but don’t think it will happen.
Some of you underestimate the importance of a good strength and conditioning coach.

Jimmy
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 10:36 PM EDT

We heard you the first time.

Casey
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 10:58 PM EDT

I don’t think it’s as severe of a loss as 4guards is painting it to be. But it’s definitely more significant than most people are saying, in my opinion.

This guy is in charge of our players’ physical development, their diets, injury rehabilitation and their daily workouts. Especially given that we’re in the midst of rehabbing two key players in Creek and Roth, it’s untimely to have him step down before those processes are over.

Perhaps Wat will help identify strong candidates for his replacement.

HoosEyes
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 12:16 AM EDT

FWIW Korman’s twitter said Watkinson will be around during the “transition period”, I assume that means until a suitable replacement is found. In that case, the blow is lessened in regards to the timing that Casey refers to…

Casey
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 12:24 AM EDT

Very true, HoosEyes.

He’s been around for a while, and it’d seem he’s simply leaving for a better opportunity — not looking to hang IU out to dry.

I’m happy that his hard work over all the years has paid off for him on a personal level. And like I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up aiding in the search for a replacement a little. I imagine he’d be able to provide a few names of viable options.

Danny
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 5:07 AM EDT

I’m pretty sure Tim Garl has been in charge of Creek’s rehab..? don’t know about Roth.

southport65
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 7:26 AM EDT

This should not be a big surprise. Sure he is good but he was Sampson’s guy and IU was his 5th school. He has always chased the money and I think EG sees a shot at getting someone good at the Clippers. They have a long history of key players being injured and he will help them get better by being stronger. I think he did the right thing for him to step up to the next level and he has done a good job here but there are a lot of IU grads who could fill this job.
Come on coach pick an IU grad.

Casey
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 8:06 AM EDT

Yeah, you might be right Danny.

If that’s the case, this certainly hurts less.

4guards
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 9:14 AM EDT

Crean pick an IU grad????
hahahahhaha. That was a good one.

Hoosier Clarion
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 10:18 AM EDT

JW has been working with Gordon since sometime last year, flying back and forth from LA repeatedly. So he has been double-clutching with IU for a long time and finely has made the decision to leave for the Clippers. His expertise is an area of study that has boomed for a dozen years or more and their are many top-notch candidates. So his loss can and will be neutralized with another quality person. I am confident Coach Crean will hire a high caliber performer to work in Cook Hall.

Caddyshack Committee
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 11:54 AM EDT

There will be a committee…There will be a search…There will be a list of names to evaluate. There will be a hire.

#26 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 3:05 PM EDT

Not sure if we’ve made this clear, but Watkinson isn’t working for the Clippers. He’s just working for Gordon.

#27 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 3:10 PM EDT

Also, Tim Garl has been in charge of Creek’s rehabilitation. How long Watkinson will hang around is uncertain, because he’s literally on Gordon’s timetable. He was uncertain how exactly IU plans to replace him and what the timetable is.

Caddyshack Committee
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 3:57 PM EDT

Dustin-

Too bad you have to work on such a beautiful day. Then again, I’m a sunshine apologist.

Comments

• W. Golf. Tong T-15th at Canadian Women's Amateur - Indiana University senior golfer finished tied for 15th with a four-round score of 286 at the Canadian Women's Amateur Championship at Craigowan Oxford Golf & Country Club in
  • M. Golf. Three Hoosiers In Top 10 at Northern Am - Nicholas Grubnich's second place finish led three Hoosiers in the top 10 of the Northern Amateur at Sand Creek Country Club in Chesterton, Ind. Joining Grubnich in the top 10 were
  • Hoosier Newsstand, July 26 - Get the latest articles on Indiana basketball, football and other Hoosier sports of interest in today's
  • Evaluation period: Friday recap - Indiana watched a new 2015 prospect in Las Vegas late Friday night, several Indiana targets had big
  • 2016 point guard Payton Pritchard talks IU, USA Basketball experience -

It’s been a hectic spring and summer for class of 2016 West Linn (Ore.) point guard Payton Pritchard. The 6-foot floor leader was one of the standouts on the adidas

• Five-star center Thomas Bryant on IU: “They’re recruiting me pretty hard” -

Class of 2015 Huntington Prep (W.V.) center Thomas Bryant is one of 33 players in Colorado Springs this week vying for a spot on USA Basketball’s U17 World Championship

• Rawle Alkins talks recruiting, Indiana - 2016 guard Rawle Alkins is playing with the NY Rens in the adidas Super 64 in
  • Kyle Guy updates recruiting, talks Indiana - 2016 guard Kyle Guy spoke with AllHoosiers.com on Thursday to update his
  • Women's Basketball Coach Curt Miller Resigns from Indiana