Plane headed to Indy from Norman

As Landon Turner Overdrive noted on Twitter and I then took and ran with, a charter plane left Indianapolis this morning, traveled to Norman, Oklahoma and has just now landed back in Indianapolis.

Here is the link to the plane.

It arrived at 11:12 a.m.

Every indication is that Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson was on that plane. This could be the final part of the interview process, as he tours Indiana’s facilities and perhaps meets with others around campus.

1:25 p.m. UPDATE: The plane is headed back to Norman. Scheduled for a 3:10 p.m. liftoff.

3:04 p.m. UPDATE: Fuzzy Zoeller’s plane, which took a trip to Oklahoma on Friday, is headed to Bloomington.

Also, there were rumors of a 3 p.m. team meeting. That meeting is not going on, at least not as scheduled, Dustin is reporting.

3:29 p.m. UPDATE: Zoeller’s plane is headed to New Jersey. Probably safe to say not being used today for IU-related matter.

4:05 p.m. UPDATE: The plane scheduled to head back to Norman from Indianapolis has not left, nearly an hour after its scheduled departure.

5:34 p.m. UPDATE: The plane has taken flight for Norman.

6:18 p.m. UPDATE: Dustin Dopirak here, After a mostly fruitless four-hour stakeout of Memorial Stadium, and a visit to Bryan House that took longer than it should have because I didn’t really know where it was, there is one thing I can say with absolute certainty. It’s really, really freaking cold today.

As several others have including the Tulsa World have already reported, I can confirm that there was a meeting with Wilson. I can’t confirm this for certain, but a source indicated that the talks may have occurred entirely in Indianapolis and did not come to campus, or at least not to the athletic department’s headquarters in the North End Zone Facility at Memorial Stadium.  (Which might explain why staking that out didn’t work). Online outlets have reported that Wilson to Indiana is a done deal, but there is still no official confirmation that there has been any sort of signed agreement. Direct knowledge of the interview and any negotiations has been limited to a select few in the department, but staffers have been notified to be prepared in the event of a hire.

At this point, I would be extremely surprised if this ended any other way, but again, there has been no official confirmation that it is finished.

6:39 p.m. UPDATE: Hugh again. Two sources are indicating a team meeting has been scheduled for tomorrow.

• Mike P. says:

Hugh,

Interesting to note, there was a Beechcraft King Air 90 based in Norman that flew from Norman to Indy Metro yesterday afternoon. That plane is apparently still on the ground.

• Casey says:

Hugh,

When you were a kid, did you ever envision yourself tracking private jets on the Internet down the road? And for the purpose of covering Indiana University football, at that?

• Casey,

I did not yet know what the Internet was, but had I known I believe I would have realized its true value as a mechanism for tracking the flights of potential football coaches at Indiana University. Thank you, Al Gore. Thank you.

• Tim Hiles says:

There is a players meeting scheduled for today (monday) for 3 pm,,,,,, who

• Husky Tom says:

All signs pointing to Wilson. Who here is excited?

• Baxter says:

Encouraged, but I’ll withhold the excitement until I see who is on the staff.

• dwayne15 says:

i hear bob stoops is going to be his OC haha jk

• Jim says:

If we do hire Wilson, hopefully someone in the media will ask some tough questions of Glass about not hiring someone defense-oriented, and to press Wilson how he intends to build our defense. When you think about all the games where we scored enough points that a reasonable person would say “A team scoring that many points really should win.” only to give up 7 or 14 or 21 more than that . . . it just makes me as a fan sick thinking about it. I don’t understand why we would hire someone who is primarily offense-oriented.

• Mass.Hoosier says:

I’ll be excited when he announces his DC and what type of D they’ll use, maybe. I’ll be excited if it is not an allnighter waiting for the news. Seriously Husky, He’s a winner and I like his background. Just not a big fan of the Pistol. But, maybe he can help IU “finish” or be more consistent on Off. Hell, he could change it all up. He’ll have good talent.

• cln says:

Begin a “offense wins game, defense wins championships” kind of guy, my first instinct was for a DC over an OC. But after thinking about it a bit more, my biggest concern is finding someone who can give IU an identity or swagger. Harbaugh is an offense guy, but he has given Stanford a real toughness which has come through on the defensive side of the ball (three shutouts this year). As long as we get that kind of identity, I’ll be happy.

• Harley says:

This has all seems to have come together fairly quickly, one has to wonder how much work was done behind the scenes prior to the Bucket game. Wilson is coming from a proven program, one of the comments from an OU fan was “Anyone can look good and be fast in a Ferrari, Lets see how Wilson does in a Ford” makes me wonder ??

• Hoosier Clarion says:

I hear the late Don Meredith singin Willie Nelson’s “Turn out the light the parties over” on the coaching search, or at least a decision is being mulled over at the very least. If it is K. Wilson, he has been around successful programs long enough to realize a strong defense is essential to winning big games. He will pay what is necessary to assemble a staff for winning because AD Glass is his willing and eager investment banker. Signed LOI and then Spring camp.

• Mattsi4 says:

I’m excited but not trilled, I also want to see who the DC is going to be. Ususally in a situation like this the coach will bring some position coaches and promote them to coordinators on his new staff. OU has put out some pretty good D lineman the last few years, Jackie Shipp is the position coach there, but all he has ever been is a DL coach. Willie Martinez is another guy on thier staff that could be promoted, he has DC experience at Georgia and UCF.

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Three assistant coaches available after shake-up at Texas this AM.

• Mass.Hoosier says:

Does he keep Moriarity? I’m assuming Mo is still in good standing with Indiana HS coaches.

• J Pat says:

just makes you wonder why people set their sights on certain coaches. I wonder why we did not look at a head coach but maybe we did and they were not interested. I will be happy with Wilson because of his resume, honors, and he is from a football crazy place that wins…but…he better come here and perform quickly! I will support him all the way but a quick turnaround will prove a point and we have a good foundation in place. I give him 2 or 3 years and let’s be honest, in 2 or 3 years any coach we hire should be able to eeek out 6 wins!

• Speedway says:

I’m tempering any enthusiasm for an official hire. Like many on this board (and others) am particularly concerned about the DC hire (if we go the offensive-minded HC route like Wilson), because I will beat the drum to death that IU MUST raise its defensive level to at least league-average. What I don’t want is a return to the Randle El days–tremendously fun offense but even more horrifically terrible defense (leading to more losses than wins).

As for a “turnaround time,” I absolutely do not expect miracles within 2-3 seasons–it’s just not going to happen in a program that’s had a losing culture for most of the past 100 years. This is a long-term building project, and as long as tangible progress (defense, recruiting, academics, swagger, etc.) is being made EACH season, then we’ll be heading in the right direction.

• Mass.Hoosier says:

As long as he is a fighter and recruits fighters that play hard and fast and don’t give up, I’ll support him. I expect the next coach to win 6 games next year JPat.

• JeremyK says:

I’m excited about the possibility at getting a coach who can help teams RUN the ball. Looking for a big improvement in that regard.

• Mike P. says:

Until I see who the Defensive staff is going to be, I’m not going to be excited at all.

There are still two open OoC games on the schedule, but Ball State and Virginia (2 scheduled), those should be wins. Assuming the other 2 are the normal cupcakes, those should be wins as well.

Looking over the Big Ten schedule, Penn State, Illinois, Northwestern & Purdue at home. The possibility for 4-0 at home in the Big Ten is there, 3-1 is realistic, 2-2 is worse case scenario. With the 4 OoC wins, that is 6-6 next year.

• Mike P. says:

Worst case scenario is 0-4 at home, but worse case expectations is 2-2

• Mattsi4 says:

Mike P.,
    I just checked it and your right, we do have 2 open slots. Deleware St had previously been scheduled for 9/24/11, wonder what happend with them?

• J Pat says:

I was going to come back and add and it is funny after reading mass and Mike P…if Lynch and co can win 5 games surely the next upgraded staff can win 6, right?

• HoosierSmitty says:

I am interested to see what this guy’s personality is like. I mean maybe Oklahoma fans are just disgruntled, but he doesn’t exactly seem like a fan favorite from the comments I’ve read. Sour grapes? Maybe, but maybe it also says something. What kind of swagger does he bring to the team, if any?

There’s some mild excitment, and I think he’ll be a stablizing force for a lot of our players and recruits since he comes from a big name football school.

Also, is this just a stepping stone job for Wilson if he succeeds? I mean I’ll take success any way we can get it, but that’s the danger of bringing in someone like this. Is it really a destination job for him? Is he willing to turn it into one?

• Indy Wolf says:

IMO this is a great hire. Yes the Hoosiers might end up being a stepping stone but that would put Indiana in a great position next time. If this pans out, even if Wilson moves on after 5 years, this could be the hire that potentially makes the future of football at Indiana University. You cannot look for a coach by picking the sad sack that you know will never leave. You will never be successful in running an athletic department by being afraid of what might happen.

Now, personally I’m a defense first guy and would have loved a defensive genius for the next Hoosiers coach (and I hope Wilson hires one to work under him.) The problem with hiring a defense 1st kinda coach is they wont put butts in seats at a place like B-town unless they start fighting for a Big 10 (11,12?…Rust Belt Conference?…Whatever?) championship. If the Hoosiers start averaging 45 pts a week people will show up to watch very early so from that standpoint as much as I want defense, I think it’s a smart move by Glass.

Comments are closed.

WIll Indiana make the NCAA Tournament?

IU vs Michigan men's basketball

• t:

T . Moren is an upgrade over Curt Miller. Yes the team is a year olde [...]

• Mwcorne:

Irish, again, at no time did I ever state that coach Miller recruited [...]

• Chet:

So, "Indiana’s all-time starting five" consists of three guards and [...]

• Irish Ballz:

I am right once again. Iowa lost their 3 best players from last year a [...]

• TallGuy15:

I'm still recovering from the mini heart attacks at last night's game. [...]

• Hoosier Clarion:

In the sports section of the February 2nd edition of the Fort Wayne Ne [...]

• iuhoosier1992:

That last foul on Cahill was BS. The refs called that game differentl [...]

Find Kentucky basketball coverage on VaughtsViews.com - Find Notre Dame football coverage on NDInsider.com. © Hoosier Times Inc., all rights reserved.