Crean said he’s taking Elston at his word

Indiana coach Tom Crean said he addressed Derek Elston’s tripping incident today after watching the film of the game. He said Elston told him it was unintentional. Crean said the two discussed the incident at length, but decided to take him at his word that it was unintentional, indicating that there will be no further punishment for the incident.

More on this later.

UPDATE: So hear is what Crean said exactly.

“I didn’t get a good look at it during the game at all. I didn’t see it until it was on the film. I brought him up to the plane. He stayed with the same thing. He said to me that he didn’t do it intentionally. I know exactly what it looks like. I told him the same thing. When I looked at, it the referee had a good view of it. I didn’t argue it. In comparison to (Devan Dumes’s intentional foul two years ago) I don’t think there is any comparison because there’s no question that that was intentional. i wasn’t surprised by it. In this situation, it would be highly out of character for Derek to be dishonest or do something of that nature in a negative way. It would be truly out of character, and if he did it would be a mistake. That’s the end of story. We got the intentional foul, they got the foul shots. I looked at it. I discussed it with him. But the last thing I’m going to do is break down a trust by accusing a player of something that he says he didn’t do on purpose. I’m not trying to put my head in the sand, that’s just the way that it is. Again, it would be different if it was something that was after the fact that you see on film. Those are the things that you react a little bit more to. The referee saw it, the referee handled it.”

• Bobbie Sue says:

This strikes me as a coaching leadership problem.

I don’t care what Derek SAYS, it is obvious from looking at it that it was intentional.

• Eric says:

What a shock. Tom won’t discipline a player. He’s has no better character than the last joker. Keep supporting him hoosiers. I hope he’s there forever.

• Fab5 says:

I have to hope this report isn’t true Dustin. For one it is disappointing that Elston can’t man up and admit he did make a mistake. Also disappointing that Crean ‘trusts his word’ instead of looking at the film.

On a lighter note, maybe Crean also trusts Verdell when he says he does look for the open man, and he trusts Watford when he says he does box out; if Crean didn’t watch the Elston trip on video is there any reason to assume he watches any of the game film?

• Bart says:

Things aren’t always as they appear, but in this case, I don’t think anyone would agree that this tripping was not intentional. Very disappointed in the way Coach Crean is handling this so far.

• JerodMSF says:

From my vantage point on the couch, it was 100% clear that Derek’s trip was intentional. This is a GREAT opportunity for Tom Crean to draw lines in the sand and send a message of discipline and accountability. I am very disappointed that he is refusing to do so, but sadly it jives with what we’ve seen on the court – a team that does not play with any discipline or accountability.

Damnit Crean, this is the wrong decision and a lost opportunity if you do not act. The inmates should not run the asylum. We did that with Sampson. It was a failure. You’ve recruited good kids and have turned around so many things. Go all the way with it. Indiana players do not blatantly trip opponents. It’s uncalled for and something I want to have to tacitly support by being a loyal IU fan.

Very disappointed in this. Very.

• Jim says:

Disappointing. Clearly intentional. At least Coach Crean could have acknowledged it and said it was being handled in house. Then at least it seems like he’s recognizing the intentional nature of it and that there is some behind-the-scenes consequence. Instead he’s like a parent living in denial, willing to believe anything just to that he doesn’t have to believe his angel did anything wrong.

Disappointing.

• Casey says:

If I recall, Crean permanently dismissed Basset and Ellis from the team when he had the chance to bring them back. Many criticized that move.

Now, he gives Elston the benefit of the doubt, and he’s equally criticized for, of all things, his character? Are you serious?

Try to separate your disappointment in the team’s play from your judgments of Crean’s character. If Crean’s done anything right thus far, it’s rebuild the integrity of the program and recruit character guys.

Most of the criticism Crean’s received lately is definitely warranted, but can we please refrain from turning this into a situation in which no matter what he does, he’s wrong?

• Speedway says:

Eric:

Why do you even troll on these boards?

• Mark says:

This is a sad and disappointing way to address a problem. I don’t think there is much question that it was intentional.

Crean is creating another problem but not dealing with this one appropriately. I’m not suggesting suspending Elston, but would sitting him out the first 10 minutes of the next game be a better way of stating that we won’t tolerate that kind of behavior at IU?

Lets hope this isn’t a sign of more bad behavior to come, no repercussions, Coach will just make an excuse for poor behavior.

• Aruss says:

How can anyone even follow this team to care? Prior to crean cleaning house I wouldn’t miss a second of IU hoops and now I’ve completely lost interest. The program is just blah…no passion, just waiting for the help to arrive years down the road. Sampson use to have INTENSITY on the back of the players practice shorts; crean must have Zzzzzz on this team’s.

• WestCoat Hoosier says:

It looks like a trip to me, but I’m a long way away and watching on tape.

Also, I know how angles can be misleading and how film can present things wrong. Talk to a professor in the film department!

Crean did what anyone should do – he asked the player about it.

And the player presumably explained things and denied purposely tripping.

Add in the fact that Crean knows Elston in ways that we cannot. He has seen him Elston in practice for two years. Elston’s words rang true for Crean.

Based on all that and on the fact that there have been no other incidents, I’m ok with Crean’s decision.

Having said that, I would keep a close eye out for any repeats or similar behavior, but I am surprised that all of the folks on this list seem so sure and so angry.

Stuff happens sometimes.

• Deep Dish says:

Derek had a perfectly acceptable explanation…

“This little piggy went to Marcotullio, this little piggy stayed home…”

• Deep Dish says:

Derek had a 2nd perfectly acceptable explanation prepared for the inquiry…

“I was just tying to play some toenacios ‘D’…”

• TERRY says:

THAT WAS THE ONLY DEFENSIVE STOP WE HAD ALL NIGHT!!! REMEMBER THE OLD “FIRE MIKE DAVIS” SITE….LET’S START THE “FIRE TOM CREAN” SITE.DIDN’T THINK THAT THERE WAS ANY COACH WORSE THAT MIKE DAVIS…I WAS WRONG…AND IU HAS HAD THEM BOTH.NEED TO START FROM THE TOP DOWN..FIRST GLASS..THEN CREAN AND THE ENTIRE STAFF…IU BASKETBALL CANNOT POSSIBLY GO ANY LOWER THAN IT IS RIGHT NOW…WE HAVE AN 0-18 SEASON COMING.PEOPLE SAY ‘WAIT..LOKK WHAT WE HAVE COMING” WON’T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE IF WE DON’T HAVE A COACH THAT KNOW’S WHAT TO DO WITH THEM.IU PLAY’S NO DEFENSE AT ALL.COME ON..93 POINT’S TO NORTHWESTERN???? OH GET USE TO IT..GLASS DOESN’T HAVE THE NERVE TO FIRE CREAN…WHO WOULD WANT THE IU JOB NOW??? ONLY 5-10 COLLEGE TEAM’S IN THE ENTIRE NATION WORSE THAN IU…VERY SAD STORY…IT’S NOT MYLES BRAND FAULT…IT’S WHAT THE AD AND BOARD OF TRUSTEE’S DID AFTER THAT FIRING THAT HAS MESSED IU UP.IU WILL NEVER IN THE NEXT 10 YEAR’S RECOVER FROM THIS.IU HAD ONE CHANCE TO GET IT RIGHT…THEY FAILED..SO NOW ALL IU FAN’S MUST WATCH THIS PATHIC DISPLAY OF BALL.

• Deep Dish says:

Derek had a 3rd perfectly acceptable explanation prepared for the inquiry…

“My damn foot had fallen asleep from you keeping me on the bench so long. I was attempting to restore circulation.”

• J Pat says:

Not excusing the trip, I am not sure either way but nobody has mentioned his beloved Grandpa died just days prior…again, not excusing but when I lost a couple family members in college I did not act right for a few days. As a young person it is hard to wrap your head around stuff like that and emotions get carried away…

• get real says:

“The trip” is what it is.

What is really bothering fans is that this is a team that badly needs to “overachieve” and we have a coach who allows them to “underachieve”. Its like trying to teach a group of of “C” students like a group of MIT students— the same methods won’t work. So the students really don’t learn , then eventually lose interest or digress. Some don’t worry because they get the same minutes anyway.

Those that buy the wait for “5” years argument are missing the “play hard for 40 minutes ” argument. Believe it or not “C” students can play hard for 40 minutes given the right methods and discipline. Why haven’t the walk-ons started a game to send this message– I don’t know. Its time for the coach to separate himself from the players.

• Cooper says:

He tripped someone so what? Its a game people get emotional and pissed off. Granted he handled it wrong but what do you want him to be kicked off the team? Suspending him for a game hurts the team. Make him run some stairs.

It would be nice to see Crean show some emotion and get a tec or get thrown out.

Someone on this freaking team show some fight

• southport65 says:

It is nice to hear how all of you “fan Coaches” would react to your player saying he did not do it on purpose. At this point in time coach spends more time with these kids than their parents. I wonder how you all would react when your own son swears they did not do something and the whole world says your son is a liar! Of course your son makes good grades,of course he has never done something like this before and of course your son does not make a practice of not being truthful. Now if your son has a history of being untruthful and has been a dirty player all through high school and his 1st year and a half at college then you won’t believe him and punishment should come. I wonder how Elston’s parents are taking all your guilty verdicts. I have 4 son’s and I trust them to be truthful but if they lie they know the hammer is coming down but I always try and see their point the 1st time. I believe that is how you guilty 1st ask questions later guys would handle your own kids and that is watch Coach is doing. He is letting his player have a 1st chance and shame on him if it happens again. Not much different than all of you would do if you were truthful.

• I love that, in relying on Elston’s character in his defense, Crean directly infers that Dumes’ elbows were totally in character for Devan. That’s an honest man.

• PB says:

Add this incident and reaction by Crean to the pile of weird this season is turning out to be. Not the response I expected by Crean when the tape so clearly tells a different story.

But hey surprise me. With the strange chemistry or lack thereof that has developed in the last month with this team I can handle weirder.

This team needs a win in the next game more than any other IU team in recent past.

PB

• iual88 says:

Who cares about the tripping? Did you see the game?

I can sum up this team in one play from last night. Jones III gets a rebound and is challenged by a Nortwestern player. Instead of securing the ball, he tries to get a foul by falling down, loses the ball, the Northwestern player recovers and scores two points.

My problem with these kids is they never take anything away from anyone. Do they think they will win just doing what the coach says? They have no identity. They, as a team, have no vision about what they want and how they want to be perceived. Crean has a vision. I feel like he has more fire than these damn kids. Unfortunately, Crean can’t rebound!!!

Yes, the coach is responsible, but the kids are accountable. Name a Big Ten Champion or NCAA championship team that didn’t have at least two great players.

• Chet says:

Man, you guys are pretty desperate for a controversy. This is the best you can find?
    That a trip “was intentional”.
    That’s it? Really?
    Oh, brother.

• IULONGAGO says:

It may not have been premeditated but it was intentional (unless he has some undiagnosed medical condition that causes his left foot to slowly kick out as someone is coming by). He and Crean should take this seriously. Admit, change, and move on as better people.

• Big Bob says:

I heard that he has RLS and did’nt take his meds. But really, he is lying.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

How many games will IU football win in 2016?