Wilson still unfazed by coach defections

Indiana football coach Kevin Wilson was asked again Saturday about assistants leaving the program and again had the same answer. Running backs coach Jemal Singleton makes four since Wilson was hired on Dec. 7 to be hired and leave before the first spring practice.

“It is what it is, you gotta deal with it,” Wilson said. “… I think we hired some good guys. Unfortunately, they thought they had some other opportunities. My deal as a coach, you gotta do what’s best for you, your family and your career. … A couple of them have tremendous futures. I guess they think the grass is greener somewhere else. That’s their choice.”

Wilson said he expects to hire a running backs coach soon, perhaps as early as the first of the week.

Wilson also announced that the team has lost a few players since he was hired. He said linebacker Damon Sims, who challenged for the starting job at weakside linebacker this year, has left the program. He also said that two fifth-year seniors had decided not to return. An IU spokesman confirmed those to be cornerback Matt Ernest and running back Zach Davis-Walker. Ernest started this year and Davis-Walker saw significant time toward the end of the year.

• Redrover #1

Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 6:59 PM EDT

Players leaving is a good sign to me. Let them leave and let’s get football players who want to work to achieve something like… WINNING !

• podunker #2

Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 8:18 PM EDT

Two fifth year seniors, especially from last year’s defense is not a big loss. I don’t blame them for leaving the team, especially if they had no real chance to play at the next level. The game is hard on the body and no sense risking serious injury if your eharts no longer in the game. This makes room for players better suited to the new coaching staff. We’ll see more of this in the next year.

• Chet #3

Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 8:20 PM EDT

What kind of a nitwit would ask the same old tired question that’s been answered ad nauseum? I can only imagine the spanking RMK would lay on someone that lazy.

• EBurd #4

Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 9:05 PM EDT

I don’t think Sims had the work ethic needed to be a good Big Ten LB. If you looked at the weight he came in as a Freshman and what he weighted a year later it was apparent there wasn’t a commitment to the strength training.I had high hopes for this guy maybe the losing wore him down. Great potential hope a fresh start helps him fulfill that potential.

• Hoosier Clarion #5

Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 2:50 PM EDT

The Sooners are really going to miss this guy. He knows precisely what has to be done, goes about doing it in the right steps and is forward enough and articulate enough to tell you how he is going to do it. He is so confident no one comes close offering questions knocking him off balance.

• FBZ #6

Monday, February 21, 2011 - 10:36 AM EDT

I like Wilson. He is a gunslinger. I am ready to see IU as a football school!

The rest of you? Keep trying to figure out why IU sucks at basketball! Brrrrhahahahahahahaha

• Chicago hoosier - #7

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 10:27 AM EDT

• Chicago hoosier - #8

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 10:28 AM EDT

Anyone know what is happening with Teddy Schell? I think he would be a 5th year senior next year. I dont see him on the depth chart… as a placekick holder.,,,

• Kells1001 #9

Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 10:06 AM EDT

I’m intrigued what kind of people sign on to take a job and then void that deal and go to an apparently higher bidder. This is not a big deal losing coaches in pre-season, but it does show the competitive nature of the business of college football. Life in the Big Ten!

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football