Indiana releases depth chart for Week 1

This surprises me more than a little bit. Indiana released a depth chart for Week 1. No, I really didn’t think Kevin Wilson was going to do that. Not in the least.

Anyway, unsurprisingly, there’s nothing definitive about the quarterback job. Dusty Kiel and Edward Wright-Baker are listed together on the depth chart separated by the word “or” which means no decision has been made yet.

Several players are conspicuously absent from the depth chart, apparently for injury reasons. Wide receiver Duwyce Wilson and Ted Bolser have both been battling unspecified injuries during preseason practice, and neither one is on the depth chart. Senior Dre Muhammad is listed as the starter in Wilson’s spot. Senior Max Dedmond is listed as the starting tight end.

Redshirt freshman Matt Perez is listed as the starting tailback followed by junior college transfer Stephen Houston. D’Angelo Roberts may not be on the two-deep, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t going to play.

In other position battles, redshirt freshman Ryan Phillis is listed ahead of Fred Jones at the right defensive end spot. Redshirt freshman Chase Hoobler is listed as the starter ahead of senior Brandon McGhee at strongside linebacker.

All three true freshman wide receivers (Jay McCants, Cody Latimer, Shane Wynn) are listed as backups on the depth chart. Left guard Bernard Taylor, tight end Jake Reed, cornerback Michael Hunter and safety Forisse Hardin are the rest of the true freshmen on the two-deep.

The rest of the depth chart follows.

Offense
LT
72 Andrew McDonald, 6-6, 285, Sr./5th
71 Bill Ivan, 6-4, 282, So./Fr.
LG
65 Marc Damisch, 6-7, 285, Sr./Jr.
73 Bernard Taylor, 6-2, 278, Fr./Fr.
C
60 Will Matte, 6-2, 282, Sr./Jr.
64 Collin Rahrig, 6-2, 263, So./Fr.
RG
70 Justin Pagán, 6-5, 294, Sr./Sr.
76 Cody Evers, 6-4, 310, So./Fr.
RT
77 Josh Hager, 6-9, 300, Sr./5th
74 Charlie Chapman, 6-6, 292, Jr./So.
WR
88 Damarlo Belcher, 6-5, 213, Sr./Sr.
3 Cody Latimer, 6-3, 208, Fr./Fr.
WR
82 Dre Muhammad, 5-10, 180, Sr./5th
1 Shane Wynn, 5-7, 153, Fr./Fr.
WR
13 Kofi Hughes, 6-2, 205, So./So.
15 Jay McCants, 6-4, 205, Fr./Fr.
QB
8 Dusty Kiel, 6-2, 216, Jr./So.    -or-
7 Edward Wright-Baker, 6-1, 220, Jr./So.
RB
24 Matt Perez, 5-11, 230, So./Fr.
12 Stephen Houston, 6-0, 228, Jr./So.
TE
41 Max Dedmond, 6-5, 250, Sr./5th
90 Jake Reed, 6-4, 253, Fr./Fr.
Defense
LE
44 Darius Johnson, 6-0, 243, Sr./5th
94 Javon Cornley, 6-5, 235, Jr./So.
DT
97 Larry Black, Jr., 6-2, 305, Sr./Jr.
69 Mick Mentzer, 6-4, 305, Sr./Jr.
DT
98 Adam Replogle, 6-3, 290, Jr./Jr.
75 Nicholas Sliger, 6-3, 291, Sr./Jr.
RE
25 Ryan Phillis, 6-3, 244, So./Fr.
93 Fred Jones, 6-4, 265, Sr./5th

WLB
48 Leon Beckum, 5-11, 213, Sr./5th
31 Lee Rose, 6-1, 221, Sr./Jr.

MLB
53 Jeff Thomas, 6-1, 239, Sr./5th
49 Griffen Dahlstrom, 6-3, 218, Jr./So.
SLB
47 Chase Hoobler, 6-2, 232, So./Fr.
39 Brandon McGhee, 6-1, 226, Sr./5th
LCB
9 Greg Heban, 6-1, 186, Jr./So.
2 Lenyatta Kiles, 5-11, 194, Sr./Sr.
FS
29 Chris Adkins, 6-1, 190, Sr./5th
4 Forisse Hardin, 6-1, 198, Fr./Fr.
SS
30 Jarrell Drane, 6-2, 197, Sr./5th
10 Donnell Jones, 5-10, 209, Sr./5th
RCB
23 Lawrence Barnett, 5-10, 191, Jr./So.
17 Michael Hunter, 6-1, 170, Fr./Fr. sPecIAl teAMs
K
16 Mitch Ewald, 5-10, 174, Jr./So.
99 Nick Freeland, 6-0, 200, Sr./Jr.
P
10 Adam Pines, 6-0, 184, Sr./Jr.
99 Nick Freeland, 6-0, 200, Sr./Jr.
LS
91 Matt Dooley, 6-4, 251, Fr./Fr.
67 Zackary Young, 6-6, 224, Jr./Jr.
H
17 Teddy Schell, 6-5, 230, Sr./5th
10 Adam Pines, 6-0, 184, Sr./Jr.
KR
1 Shane Wynn, 5-7, 153, Fr./Fr.
24 Matt Perez, 5-11, 230, So./Fr.
PR
82 Dre Muhammad, 5-10, 180, Sr./5th
23 Lawrence Barnett, 5-10, 191, Jr./So.

• IndyHoosier #1

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 2:54 PM EDT

Phillis ahead of Jones is a surprise. Fifth year senior being passed by a redshirt frosh. Same with Hoobler.

Need a new jersey! Impress me young kids!

• chicago hoosier #2

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 4:07 PM EDT

I have never noticed before, but we have a lot of seniors (or red shirt seniors)on the offensive line….. hopefully that age on the line will help us with a great running/passing attack.

• Waitingforwins #3

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 7:23 AM EDT

Youth will be served. With our depth consisting mostly of freshman and sophomores we are an injury away from having to play them.

For all of us who complained about Lynch not playing freshman, well you just may get your wish this year. Playing freshman is only valid when they can actually contribute at a high level. What I fear is we may be forced to play freshman simply because we don’t have any other option.

• Hoosier Clarion #4

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:05 AM EDT

Really not surprised Mat Perez is the starter. The top ball carrier out of Illinois has focused on polishing talent into skills the offense requires.

• J Pat #5

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:21 AM EDT

Clarion, how are you? It was the other way for me…I was surprised. The reason why is when I saw him last spring he was so slow through the hole…I mean like concrete shoes. I know he was coming off of surgery and am praying that was the reason. I looked up Houston the JC transfers stats and he had 5 or closer to 6 YPC if I remember right and I know D Williams has looked good. Anyway, food for thought. Take care!

• Hoosier Clarion #6

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 10:48 AM EDT

JP,

Doing fine, now that FB is upon us. I believe the word for MP is deceptive using good vision and a decent change of direction. I also expect he possesses a good handle which could be the reason he is listed as a kick returner along side Wynn. I believe in the end he could be the top performer of that recruiting class. Got the provisions for tailgating squared away? Times a wastin. Toasting the future of *HOOSIER FOOTBALL*.

• Mass.Hoosier #7

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 11:40 AM EDT

OK guys, fun question time. In your opinion, who was IU’s last good running back? You can count Willis if you like. I mean true back, tough and got the job done. And do we have one of those on the team now?

• southport65 #8

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 12:04 PM EDT

The last great running back IMHO was Anthony Thompson. AT set records and lead the Big Ten in rushing. Willis looked good when he played but he must be way down the list because he is injury prone and does not like to be hit hard in the Big Ten. I believe that
    Mat Perez will be a surprise to us and can be the next great back for IU.

• J Pat #9

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 12:06 PM EDT

Mass, maybe Levron Williams and just because he was so diverse. I would say Ben Green Ellis or Jeremy J but they transferred so maybe Alex Smith…I guess it has been awhile!!!

• Waitingforwins #10

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 12:47 PM EDT

Mass, I was going to say Green-Ellis as well. He had the talent but realized that running behind a so-so offensive line at Indiana would definitely limit his production.

J Pat, agree with you on your assessment of Perez in the spring game. I made a similar comment that he appeared to be running with lead soled shoes in the spring game and was quickly lambasted by those around me. Even in the preseason camp videos I watched he doesn’t appear to have gained a step. He’s definitely bigger, but when you’re running as slow as he appeared to be any defender bringing a bad attitude will lay him out.

• Hoosier Clarion #11

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 1:17 PM EDT

From the bottom up Levron, Alex Smith, Vaughn Dunbar and at the top of the heap of course AT.

• J Pat #12

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 2:13 PM EDT

Clarion, agree with that order…good job!

• Mass.Hoosier #13

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 3:05 PM EDT

It would have been nice to see what Green Ellis could have done, if he stayed.
    Mine,
    1. AT-No brainer!
    2. Alex Smith-Just tough, wish he would haved stayed for Cam.
    3. Vaughn Dunbar-If only we had him for four years.
    4. Green Ellis-Alot of potential, was just starting to emerge. Look where he landed. For some reason I really liked the kid.
    5. Levron-Underachieved(even though he did well), out of position sometimes? As in receiver. Randle El curse?
    We went bowling with those top three. If you needed three yards you would probably get it with them. Always could get 1.
    Perez, not saying he is as good as, but, seems to run like a mix of AT and Smith . Willis, keeps teams honest on the outside as well as inside. But when he goes out, IU becomes predictable.
    IU just needs to find one or two hard nosed runners. Wonder if Wilson has installed the delay to Thigpen play?

• Mass.Hoosier #14

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 3:16 PM EDT

Let me say, Levron didn’t reach his potential , not underachieved. He was a top recruit I believe. He did rip Wisconsin.

• J Pat #15

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 3:17 PM EDT

Mass…please do not bring that up, please…hahaha!!! I agree with your guys as well. I remember Green Ellis taking it up the sideline vs UK and thinking he would change the record book and then he left. Alex Smith was really tough, remember him like it was yesterday!

• J Pat #16

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 3:18 PM EDT

Yes, beat Wisky in Madison badly..almost made a bowl that year. Gotta run!!!

• Podunker #17

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 5:00 PM EDT

I’ll guess that Perez will not remain the starter for long. If he is as slow as some people say, he’ll have to be a banger, which may work again Ball State and generally on the goal line. But when you play the big boys in the Big Ten, he won’t be bigger than any of the defenders and IU will need some speed. Otherwise, you’ll see eight defenders within three yards of the line of scrimmage and a lot of 2nd and eights or 2nd and 11′s. Speed on the edges keeps the defense honest.

I loved AT, but thought Dunbar was a more gifted runner. He’d have been very good in the NFL had it not been for that terrible knee injury.

• TsaoTsuG #18

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 5:14 PM EDT

Podunker, my comment was written prior to your last statement and is completely unrelated to yours. I just feel that perhaps the problem in “as people say”, is just in the “people who say it”. No offense meant (it simply not directed at your view). I totally enjoy your comments whether they agree or disagree with my views.

• Mass.Hoosier #19

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 5:16 PM EDT

I forgot JPat..lol

• Podunker #20

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:47 PM EDT

TsaoTsug; no offense taken. I intended my previous post to convey that I find the claim that Perez is slow to be a bit dubious or suspect. Upon reading my post again, I should have made that point more obvious. At least you caught the “as some people say” part. What I meant to convey is that if Perez was that slow, he probably would not be slotted as the starter for the first game.

But, if Perez turns out to be a bit slow, maybe he’s a banger, shifty, quick, strong, patient and a good blocker. There’s got to be a reason Wilson has him #1 on the depth chart. He certainly has a few running backs to choose from this summer.

I remember a lot of people used to say that Walter Peyton was not very fast. Well, I suppose if you made all 22 men on the football field at any one time run a 100 yard dash, Walter probably would not have finished in the top three. But as we all know, his lack of breakaway speed did not prevent Walter Peyton from becoming the greatest running back in the history of the NFL.

• J Pat #21

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 9:54 PM EDT

Guys, I trust the staff thus far and if Perez is their guy…I support it 100% until I see different. Bottom line was Perez was slow all around in the spring game and if you attended, you saw it too as he ran the ball many times. It is all relative in the end…Randle El did not have the best 40 time on the IU team any year he was here but he was a shaker and baker, very shifty.

• TsaoTsuG #22

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 10:27 PM EDT

Perez may not have been quite the big story that Gunner Kiel was when he picked IU. In Chicago, his decision to play at IU raised some eyebrows and was considered a coup. He always had a reputation as a gritty runner for one of the top high school leagues in Illinos, Maine South.

He has made most Hoosier fans proud and happy of that selection; football-wise, academically and with the character he showed through the injury and recovery.

• Mass.Hoosier #23

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 10:57 PM EDT

That is what I meant earlier by saying Perez ran sort of like Smith or Thompson. Neither one had break away speed, but they ran where they were supposed to. And they ran hard, which got them into the secondary. Thompson just enjoyed taking two or three guys with him. That is what we need. We know Willis can do it, if healthy. Maybe Perez and Houston are the power backs and Roberts, Turner and Willis the Speed backs.
    I have not seen Perez enough to say he’s the answer. Like JPat, I trust the coaching staff. Thanks for playing along fellas. Enjoyed.

• Podunker #24

Thursday, September 1, 2011 - 11:18 PM EDT

The recent story in the Star about Perez puts this issue to rest.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football