Creek tears Achilles tendon, out indefinitely

Indiana junior guard Maurice Creek suffered a torn Achilles tendon and underwent surgery on it today according to an IU media relations release. Creek tore the tendon away from the basketball court.

The release follows.

Indiana University men’s basketball coach Tom Crean has announced that junior guard Maurice Creek underwent surgery today to repair a torn Achilles tendon he suffered away from the basketball court in his left leg.  His status for the upcoming season has not been determined.

“All or our energy is devoted to Maurice in helping him through this latest setback,” said Crean. “I know he and his family have always appreciated the thoughts and prayers they receive from Hoosier Nation.”

It is the third serious injury he has suffered in the past 22 months.  Creek had surgery to repair a broken left patella in late December of 2009 and last year he was shut down after a stress fracture in his right patella ended his season in January.   This latest injury had no impact on either of his previous injuries to his knees.

“This is a devastating blow for someone who has worked so hard to get himself in a position to help this program again,” said Crean.  “He is going to receive the best medical care possible and we will take his recovery one day at a time.  I think the most important thing that we can do is to make Maurice know that despite his injury, he can serve a very vital role in helping our program and we will actively keep him involved every day.”

In 30 total games for the Hoosiers, he is averaging 11.5 points and and is shooting 37.1 percent from three-point range.  He averaged 16.4 points as a freshman and 8.3 points last year.  His career-high came when he knocked down 31 points against Kentucky as a freshman.

• DD #1

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 4:34 PM EDT

Oh, jeez.

Can Mo EVER get a break? I feel sick for the guy.

• Bebob #2

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 4:34 PM EDT

Wow. What more could possibly happen to this kid? Wishing him the best and speedy recovery. We’re behind you 100% Maurice. Keep your chin up.

• PB #3

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 4:38 PM EDT

DD, my stomach just flipped as well. Here’s to a speedy recovery for Mo Creek. However with all he has gone through his body may not be made for the sport. It’s just too bad.

PB

• Sam #4

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 4:44 PM EDT

Unreal. Mo must be heartbroken. At this point, I hope he can get healthy, earn his degree, and live a normal life.

• TsaoTsuG #5

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 5:01 PM EDT

Maurice, you’ve got our friendship…forever! Get well, and be a Hoosier FOREVER!!

• theo #6

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 5:38 PM EDT

This hits you in the stomach he worked so hard to get the program where is it now. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. You get healthy MO..Go Hoosiers and Hoosiernation all of our thoughts and prayers are with YOU MO!!!!

• John Galt #7

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 5:48 PM EDT

Like Bob Sanders. All world talent….but the body just can’t/won’t hold up.

• MikeW #8

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 6:29 PM EDT

2 words: Medical Hardship. IMO, it’s time to seek this option at this point just like Darius Willis. I wish him all the best. Great talent, but it just doesn’t look like his body can take it anymore. There are far bigger things in life for this young man to seek and accomplish.

• Stlhoos #9

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 6:46 PM EDT

All the best Maurice. Please take your time in weighing what’s best for your future and take advantage of the resources you have available. Get that degree and make yourself more valuable than you ever could on a basketball court completely healthy. Hoosier national will always support you.

• FireCrean2011 #10

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 7:25 PM EDT

So will this be another excuse for Crean? “I can’t win with all these injuries – couldn’t see this coming – but, help is on the way…”

• Docdave #11

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 7:53 PM EDT

Yes firecrean. It is a big conspiracy and then they will bring Bob and Pat Knight in to lead us to the promise land. Please crawl back in your hole now.

• IU06' #12

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 8:15 PM EDT

So, the injury was away from the basketball court. What happened?

• steve #13

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 8:18 PM EDT

The guy seems snakebit with injuries. Might have end up just giving up BB all together.

Could be another long year for IU.

• Chet #14

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 9:17 PM EDT

Sure doesn’t seem like it was meant to be for Mo. I snapped my Achilles in two playing basketball a few years back. I’ve heard of running backs coming back in a year but for me, and I’d previously had two knee surgeries, rehab was very difficult. It took a lot of work just to walk without a limp. It’s fine now (statistically there’s only a 3% chance you’ll retear it) but it’s a nasty injury. Good luck Mo.

• Love IUBB #15

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 10:53 PM EDT

Mo Creek is a class person. I know he will continue to work hard. So sorry.

• Druish Princess #16

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 11:20 PM EDT

Wow…just…wow. Poor kid. A promising career devastated by misfortune.

• dereck #17

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 11:29 PM EDT

Really feel bad for this kid. His enthusiasm about coming and playing for the hoosiers was amazing to see. Keep your head up, get that degree. I hope the team does not get down or use this as an excuse this year. Rally around each other. Make this a TEAM.

• stagehand #18

Monday, October 10, 2011 - 11:31 PM EDT

I’m sure this is an illusion, but sometimes it seems this kind of luck just singles out the really best kids–and I mean “best” in every sense possible. I think of Hummel upstate and remember the Northwestern kid Evan Eschmeyer. Class acts, giant talents, but the bodies kept betraying them. Sickening.

• Geoff #19

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 12:40 AM EDT

FireCrean2011 is a troll, right?

I mean I know there are a couple idiots out there, so I will address the idiots… Injuries actually affect outcome, so they are reasons for team performance, not excuses. It’s hard to say how good a player Creek would have been, but he certainly had a good shot at being a NBA draft pick. Not sure how many teams can absorb the loss of their leading scorer and come away with a positive outcome, especially a team that was in the situation IU was 2 years ago.

At this point I don’t think Crean was counting on Creek to be a major contributor. He was simply a solid piece to a gelling core. While this injury is devastating on a personal level to Creek, it isn’t nearly the blow it was to the team 2 years ago, or last year for that matter.

Now, if Watford or Zeller come up with injuries that limit their ability to contribute does that mean that Crean gets blamed for the team underachieving? Hardly seems fair… He recruits healthy guys who play well when healthy and then you want to penalize him for losing to Ohio State, Purdue, or Michigan State with bench players?

How stupid would it be if a-holes like you got your way and Crean is let go, followed by the losses of 2 top-5 recruiting classes in the next 3 years. Yeah… let’s get rid of Crean… Holloway, Ferrell, Parea, and any shot at Harris or Willis.

Brilliant!

• davis25 #20

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 1:09 AM EDT

I still wonder if he was working out or what, this is just crazy! I feel so bad for the kid. I heard from a guy who lives in Btown. He knows Bickoff pretty well and thinks Creek is done for good. I sure hope not, but how could you blame the kid after all that has happened! Just sickening!

• Big Bob #21

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 10:46 AM EDT

This is too bad for Mo. I wish him well in whatever field he decides to pursue.

• Tom #22

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 11:13 AM EDT

I feel so bad for the great young man. He can’t get a break

• Higgi #23

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 1:07 PM EDT

I feel horrible for this kid. His basketball career at IU is now over, and it’s time for the program to move on without him. Maurice, get your degree and have a great life!

• HoosierSmitty #24

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 1:08 PM EDT

Just terrible news for Mo after all the hard work he’s put in to recovering from his other injuries.

Hoosier Nation will always support you, Maurice Creek.

• NIKE SHOX #25

Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 9:47 PM EDT

攻めようにも勝手に進んでればやりようがないの。一応第三者機関の検査が基礎工事で1回入ってるはずなので それだけが頼りのような???

• uggs #26

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 12:03 AM EDT

• ugg boots sale #27

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 12:03 AM EDT

• burberry #28

Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 8:11 AM EDT

Being Inexperienced Im constantly discovering on-line for reports which will help me. Thank you

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football