Yogi Ferrell makes it official

With an Indiana hat on the table with the Cam Cameron era oval IU logo — which had no other symbolism other than the fact that his father stumbled across it — Yogi Ferrell made his commitment to the Hoosiers official by signing a letter of intent in the Wood Room at Park Tudor School on Wednesday morning.

The 5-foot-11, 165-pounder made his verbal commitment to IU just over a year ago at Park Tudor’s opening game of the 2010-11 season and said he was excited to finish the process.

“It’s a pretty big day,” Ferrell said. “Signing this letter of intent basically gives my full commitment to IU. It feels great to get this off my shoulders. Now I can just focus on getting better every day, preparing for college and definitely getting ready for this upcoming seasons.”

Ferrell admitted, though, that when he does get to IU the pressure will be high when he and the rest of the Class of 2012 come to IU. They have dubbed themselves “The Movement” (that was Ron Patterson’s word and IU fans adopted it) and Ferrell said they recognize the expectations will be high.

“Our class going to IU is one that should be remembered,” Ferrell said. “… I just can’t wait to get there. I know if we go in and we don’t produce as people expect us to, they won’t be too happy. …. There’s going to be a lot of pressure, I know, but I feel like when we go in, all of us coming together and playing together, I feel like we can all do it as a team. We can’t all do it individually, you know one guy, but I feel like if we come together and play well, we can get it done.”

What does “get it done” mean?

“What can be is definitely getting that sixth banner,” Ferrell said. “That’s definitely the main goal I actually want to accomplish coming in to college is winning a national championship.”

Ferrell knows his part in that will be being more of a leader as the point guard and floor leader of the group. Park Tudor coach Ed Schilling said Ferrell has mostly been more of a quiet lead-by-example type, but he’s working to become more vocal.

“I know I definitely have to work on that now, because I know Coach Crean, when I get there, I’m going to have to take over the team,” Ferrell said. “That’s basically what he told me, so I’m working on basically just my leadership skills. That’s the only thing I’m working on for this season and the future.”

AUDIO: Yogi Ferrell and Paul Bayt’s press conference

AUDIO: Yogi Ferrell

AUDIO: Kevin Ferrell Sr.

AUDIO: Park Tudor coach Ed Schilling

• Double Down says:

Ah, what a beautiful sight. Welcome to Bloomington, gentlemen!

• Boomer says:

“What can be is definitely getting that sixth banner” – sweet, sweet music to our ears. Welcome to IU, Yogi!

• For what it's worth says:

What is wrong with being a quiet leader by example. I sure as hell don’t remember Isaiah Thomas being that “vocal” on or off the basketball court. Walter Payton was never a vocal guy as he ripped up defenses and plowed over the toughest linebackers and d-backs in the NFL. I get so sick of this expectation someone has to have a big mouth to lead. Lead with your brain and your game. Show your teammates your effort and dedication. Direct them on the floor with your knowledge of the floor spacing and unselfish delivery of the ball in the area that exploits the defense. Play defense.
    I once worked part-time at a labor intensive job where a couple so-called “leaders” on a work line were almost constantly screaming and barking out commands. When one of those bozos called in sick, or was on vacation, things went sooooo dramatically smoother.

There is this notion that loud means confident and motivational. I see nothing wrong with Yogi being Yogi. I’d rather see a team that shows signs of leadership at every position on the floor in the form of back-and-forth communication and an obvious desire to work together. Accept your role on the team and do everything in your power to make yourself more versatile and valuable to your team.

• For what it's worth says:

oops. Isiah Thomas

Welcome aboard Yogi!

• t,burns says:

The best form of leadership is by example not by the mouth

• eric says:

Should we be worried that some of the scheduled signing times have come and gone and no post has been put up that they’ve signed?

• My bad. Perea is up from earlier. Obviously, there’s no photo, because we didn’t go all the way to La Porte. Peter Jurkin has signed according to several reports, but getting a hold of him isn’t quite as easy considering he’s in North Carolina. But the only one who hasn’t put ink to paper yet is Hollowell.

• indianavelt says:

Welcome Yogi. Play hard and play smart. Good luck to you and the movement. Hope to see banner number six in Bloomington while you guys are there.

• hoosierfromky says:

hoosier fans im telling you now this kid will make everyone on the floor better! we havent had a pg in so long we have forgotton what the position means. coach knight always said without a pg you cant win a nt. we have a kid now who can get the ball in the post effectivly, beat a press, limit turn overs, “see verdell jones” shoot the ball, drive to the bucket and to top it all off is a terrific defender!! we wanted harris but we nedded kevin!! if watford and hulls improve any we wont need a scorer like harris next year. dont get it twisted would love to have him but wont need him. we absolutly without a doubt needed yogi!!!

• Boomer says:

I agree, hoosierfromky, we absolutly needed Yogi. And now we have him!

• Hoosier Clarion says:

RMK while at IU never expounded in any regard a need to identify, label or offer job descriptions for PG’s or SG’s. He recruited and coached BB players for the guard position to execute his motion O and help-side man to man. ESPN, BB camps, Coaches clinics, NBA, AAU, Vitale, Packer and TV have developed and instituted for the positions the monikers we commonly use today. AS far as Knight was concerned guards are only BB players.

• biżuterie says:

Many thanks for a fantastic blog write-up, where will you come across all your facts?

• hoosierfromky says:

wrong clarion. i know you think your the authority on iu but your wrong. i went and listned to knight speek in evansville a couple months ago and he said” i never felt we had a chance to win the big ten if we didn’t have a good pg”. im sure rbk was your neighbor or something just saying what i heard come out of his mouth!!!

• Hoosier Clarion says:

Wrong hfk, as I stated above, while he was at IU he did not agree with those labels. Work on your reading comprehension and it shall also pay dividends for your poor grammar and spelling and to hell with spell check.

• Podunker says:

Hoosier Clarion is exactly right on this point. Knight always de-emphasized or denounced the popular labels used by BB pundits while he coached at IU. Since he became a TV Analyst, he may have softened his rhetoric and elected to use the common labels, for the benefit of his audience, but he did not while he coached at IU.

• For what It's' worth says:

I don’t know how and where the various terms for guards developed, but, in a rather limited support of Clarion’s viewpoint, I never recall guards being referred to as “point guards” or “shooting guards”..or “combo guards”(easy on the peperoni)…or guys being referred to as “wings” or “power” forwards ..or “spots” such as 1-spot, 2-spot, 3-spot, etc…..We had two guards, two forwards, and a center. We did have a Super-sub that came off the bench. I think his name was Laskowski…I don’t even remember the term “post player” during most of Knight’s coaching days. The painted area was known as “the lane”…Just give me some damn talent..I don’t care what the latest trend is for pigeonholing a players’ limited game. Just give me some talent and a coach that knows what to do with it.

• Chet says:

Hard to imagine anyone calling Quinn Buckner or Bobby Wilkerson a ‘shooting guard’.

• Chet says:

I’m still trying to decide if hoosierfromky possesses a higher level of satirical skill than anyone gives him credit for.

Seriously.

• hoosierfromky says:

HATE ON THE KY GUY WHY DONT WE.. LOL. MAYBE IN RMK DAYS AT IU HE DIDNT REFER TO PLAYERS AS POSITION PLAYERS BUT WHEN HE SPOKE IN EVANSVILLE HE DID. ANYWAY MY POINT WAS INDIANA NEEDED A PG!!! I HOPE WE CAN ATLEAST AGREE ON THAT. IM SURE CLARION DOESNT AND HE KNOWS MORE ABOUT IU HOOPS THAN ANYONE IVE EVER MET. AND >FOR WHAT ITS WORTH IM TO YOUNG TO REMEMBER THOSE 70’S TEAMS YOU SPEAK OF IVE READ UP ON THEM AND WATCHED SOME CLASSIC GAMES INVOLVING THEM. AND CLARION> TO QUOTE THE GREATEST QB EVER…. I DIDNT KNOW THIS WAS A SPELLING BEE!!!!

• Hoosier Clarion says:

I have never said we did not need a 5* point guard.
    On second thought the spell checker idea is a good one.

• Awesome post, the information helped me out an excellent deal. I’ll bookmark this internet site for future updates. Thanks once more.

• I used to be more than happy to find this web-site.I wanted to thanks in your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

• Buy Phen375 says:

Thank you for your whole labor on this web page. Gloria takes pleasure in making time for research and it is easy to see why. A lot of people learn all relating to the lively means you provide practical information by means of your web blog and in addition welcome contribution from visitors on that content and our own girl has been being taught a whole lot. Take pleasure in the rest of the year. You’re the one doing a superb job.

• Would you be interested in exchanging links?

• Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

Comments are closed.

WIll Indiana make the NCAA Tournament?

IU vs Penn State men's basketball

• Hoosier 86:

Seems like if KW was making the change, he would have done so when he [...]

• Chet:

Nat, I'm sure you can appreciate the fact that some defenses are based [...]

• Hoosier Clarion:

McDaniel followed Jon Fabris at the end of the 2013 season. Mark Hage [...]

• Podunker:

Both of you said it well. I think it is well past time for IU and IU' [...]

• NatHillIV:

I just don't get the whole coaching thing. I would think any coach sh [...]

• Podunker:

Is Wilson planning to replace all the defensive coaches (not that I'd [...]

• Double Down:

Before the loss at Penn State, here's where Indiana was: [19-4 (9-1), [...]

Find Kentucky basketball coverage on VaughtsViews.com - Find Notre Dame football coverage on NDInsider.com. © Hoosier Times Inc., all rights reserved.