IU confirms departures of Kiel, Wright-Baker

An Indiana spokesman confirmed that both Dusty Kiel and Ed Wright-Baker have left the program. The story for tomorrow’s paper follows.

For the past three seasons, the Indiana careers of Ed Wright-Baker and Dusty Kiel followed almost the exact same path.

They both came to Bloomington after prolific careers in the Hoosiers Hills Conference. They both redshirted as true freshmen and spent their first two years as understudies to Ben Chappell, Indiana’s second all-time leading passer. They battled each other throughout their redshirt sophomore season with each holding the starting job and losing it to injury before first year coach Kevin Wilson settled on freshman Tre Roberson to start the last five games of the Hoosiers’ 1-11 season.
And now Wright-Baker and Kiel, who became close friends throughout their time with the Hoosiers, are leaving the team at the same time.

An athletic department spokesman confirmed reports Saturday night that both Wright-Baker and Kiel have left the football program. The spokesman did not say whether either would request a transfer. Attempts to reach both Wright-Baker and Kiel were unsuccessful.

There were whispers that Kiel might leave the program since his brother Gunner, the No. 1 rated pro-style quarterback in the nation in the Class of 2012, rescinded his commitment to Indiana in October. He recently committed to Louisiana State. Kiel appeared to be the favorite to win the starting job at the end of spring practice but Wright-Baker won the job in the preseason and started the first four games.

Wright-Baker injured his ankle against North Texas during the Hoosiers’ humiliating 24-21 loss to the Sun Belt conference squad on Sept. 24. Kiel entered that game and threw for 145 yards and two deep touchdowns to make the Hoosiers’ 24-21 loss slightly more interesting. Kiel started the next two games, losses to Penn State and Illinois, but suffered a high ankle sprain in the Illinois game. Wright-Baker was named the starter for the Wisconsin game, but completed just six of his 15 passes for just 54 yards in that game while being sacked twice and throwing two interceptions. Word of Gunner Kiel’s decommitment became public the following Friday, and that Saturday Wilson named Roberson the starter. The Hoosiers became more of a running team with the speedy freshman and posted most of their best offensive performances under Roberson.

Wright-Baker finished the season with 1,029 passing yards and four touchdowns and four interceptions. He completed 59.5 percent of his passes. Kiel completed 47.6 percent of his throws for 427 yards, three touchdowns and one interception.

Roberson is the only returning scholarship quarterback on the roster, with walk-on Nolan Dieter also coming back. Fifth-year senior Teddy Schell graduated and fourth-year junior Adam Follett elected not to return for a fifth year. The Hoosiers took a commitment Thursday from Cameron Coffman, a junior college quarterback from Arizona Western who will enroll for the spring semester and will be available for spring practice. The Hoosiers also hosted Nathan Sudfeld, a three-star high school quarterback from California, on a visit this weekend.

• Dustin Dopirak #1

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 3:14 AM EDT

Upon further review… yeah, let’s just act like none of that ever happened.

• Chet #2

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 9:11 AM EDT

It was a ‘teachable moment’.

• J Pat #3

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 9:11 AM EDT

Was with the fam last night…did it get messy again?? If so, that is truly sad!!!

• J Pat #4

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 9:24 AM EDT

Chet, I have learned a lot from this thread but I stand by every word I wrote. I hope it was teachable for you and me both!!!

• Hoosier Clarion #5

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 10:06 AM EDT

…file erosion?…

• Mike #6

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 10:23 AM EDT

What the heck are all of you talking about?

• Chet #7

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 11:20 AM EDT

I came out of the closet, DD claimed he is a reincarnation of William Randolph Hearst, HC used to be a woman, Harvard has been having an affair with Michelle Bachmann, and Geoff is Bobby Knight’s screen name.

It was a hell of an evening.

• J Pat #8

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 11:34 AM EDT

Chet, you left me out man……

• Hoosier Clarion #9

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 11:38 AM EDT

Damn it, I used to be THE woman.

• Hoosier Clarion #10

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 11:40 AM EDT

JPat was my Doctor, gynecologist.

• Chet #11

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 11:59 AM EDT

..who, as it turns out, lived with Rick Santorum’s wife when she was younger.

• Geoff #12

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 12:10 PM EDT

I hope this thread goes on fo evah!

• J Pat #13

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 12:10 PM EDT

I had to look up Santorum…I am smiling and about to fill my belly!!! Take care guys!!!

• Harvard for Hillbillies #14

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 1:55 PM EDT

I would like to change my affair from Michelle Bachmann to Michelle Obama….or Kate Beckinsale.

Is Kellenberger back at HT or were the postings of Tsao and Geoff built from such an excessive amount of Wikipedia searches all comments are experiencing a momentary blackout?

JPat-

I think you’re a good guy and I regret any insinuations in my post from yesterday that would paint your views as a Hoosier fan to be contaminated with ulterior motives. That wasn’t fair and I apologize. I just think we need to be careful in invading privacy and making personal judgments concerning the character of a man into a public debate.

Dustin-

Same goes for you. I understand you’re good heart and concern for the targeting of JPat was getting you involved to a degree that abandoned how you operate everyday within the professionalism we are used to and you’ve always exhibited. I twisted those intentions when you suggested JPat to send rumor e-mails directly to you instead of posting it on Scoop. We are all aware that you were being a decent human being and I admire you for that way beyond any of my BS here could ever go.

• Geoff #15

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 2:03 PM EDT

Wiki is only a small % of my fact-checking… I use other, more relevant and reliable sites, much more often.

• J Pat #16

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 2:18 PM EDT

Harvard, I thank you but I am not sure I even read your post or I read it too quickly so no problem. I am used to going with the flow and if I learned anything from this…it is people do not want to here anything bad…not just rumor but anything bad about IU’s football coach…most people anyway. I also learned that I will not go to this site after I end my work day and am at home…my family is more important than anything IU! I think there is an age demographic problem as well and maybe a lack of trust for the person behind the computer screen which I understand. I also listen to hip hop and I am in my mid 30′s. Thanks Harvard…J Pat!!!

Dustin, I am bringing a dozen DONUTS to the HT on my next day off for you having to deal with this. Also, you owe me lunch for our IU vs OSU game bet on Pritch!!!

• TsaoTsuG #17

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 7:26 PM EDT

What a surprise!!

• Geoff #18

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 7:38 PM EDT

Harvard, funny that you knew about the Wiki blackout before me… I just went on to find Yu Darvish’s age (I’m a Rangers fan) and got the memo. I didn’t really understand the reference before, was just responding somewhat snidely.

This SOPA thing looks like an interesting issue.

• J Pat is right unfortunately #19

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 11:00 PM EDT

JPat, I’m not going to enter the fray here, but as you know you are exactly on target with what you’ve been posting here about off-field situations (yes, I’ve talked directly with people who have witnessed incidents). I mostly came here to say that there are people (not me) discussing this on the Indiana Scout site if you are interested in a place where not everybody else is burying their heads in the sand about a concerning situation. Check the Dusty Kiel and EWB leaving thread.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football