IU releases artist renderings of Baseball/Softball Complex

• Aaron #1

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 1:24 PM EDT

Question: Is the Baseball stadium going to be a fully turfed field or a turfed infield and a grass outfield?

The third picture appears to show (although I could be wrong) a turfed infield and a grass outfield.

• Dustin Dopirak #2

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 1:25 PM EDT

That’s correct, Aaron.

• Aaron #3

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 1:36 PM EDT

Which one is correct? The fully turfed field or just the turfed infield and grass outfield.

Sorry to bother you again but I am not clear which one you mean when you say “That’s Correct”.

• Walt #4

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 2:04 PM EDT

The people have no face lol!

• HOOSIERPLUS #5

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 2:19 PM EDT

Congrats to both programs. That is really great.

• MikeIke #6

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 6:49 PM EDT

those are some bush league renderings…good to see the project moving forward though

• Dustin Dopirak #7

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 6:51 PM EDT

It will be a turf infield and grass outfield.

• Mike W #8

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 10:47 PM EDT

I love the look of the new stadium. But, the turfed infield with aluminum bats is a very bad idea. Aluminum bats are debatable in college because of the way the balls rocket off of them. Well, balls hit on turf rocket off of them too. In the pros they’re using wood, so you can’t compare the 2. A few years ago I played adult softball with aluminum bats on turfed infields and even those balls ricocheted off twice as fast as dirt or grass. A very bad idea, imo…

• Aaron #9

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 11:34 PM EDT

Mike W.

First of all college started using BBCOR hybrid bats last year where the ball comes of the bat much slower now (almost as slow as wood bats).

Second of all by having a turf infield you can start games a lot earlier in the year. At Indiana State they have a turfed infield and they start games as early as Late February while other state schools don’t start playing at home until late March.

It is every coaches dream to have a turfed infield. I have talked to the coaches at Butler, Valpo and IPFW (I work in college baseball currently) and they all dream of turf infields “like Indiana State has” because they allow you to play a month earlier, not to mention you don’t have to drag the field with a dirt plow after every game which is a pain in the butt (trust me I’ve done it a few times)

• Mike #10

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 12:27 PM EDT

Has ISU improved their turf from years ago? I played on that field a few times, and the turf was low quality junk…the ball could take random jumps, but for the most part, the ball would stay stuck to the turf…comes at you fast but just sticks to it with few hops…weird

• Hoosier Clarion #11

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 12:42 PM EDT

I must say I do not watch much baseball but when I do it is the amateur variety. This new layout can only be good for the big picture that is IU athletics. I would think facilities has much to do with recruiting HS baseball talent with the obvious + being all B10 outdoor sports should thrive in Bloomington. Money well spent.

• Charles #12

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 4:53 PM EDT

What is the seating capacity of these stadiums?

• ChronicHoosier #13

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 5:32 PM EDT

Trying to get my directional bearings from the renderings. What road is it that the circle drive connects to?
    Looks like Skip got himself a gem of a park.

• HOOSIERPLUS #14

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 5:33 PM EDT

Charles Outfield is reg turf cost.

Also, AAU fields in Ohio had fake turf in their outfield.
    Outfielders would have balls bounce in front of them, and go over their head.

Purdues new baseball stadium is designed for 1500 and can expanded to 2500.

I would think IU capacity might be similar.

• HOOSIERPLUS #15

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 5:58 PM EDT

Charles Outfield is reg turf – cost.

Also, AAU fields in Ohio had fake turf in their outfield.
    Outfielders would have balls bounce in front of them, and go over their head.

Purdues new baseball stadium is designed for 1500 and can be expanded to 2500.

I would think IU capacity might be similar.
    I think the plans I saw said 2000.

• HOOSIERPLUS #16

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 6:02 PM EDT

ChronicHoosier

Homeplate faces Northeast towards 45
    Parking back towards Mellencamp and Tennis.

• Charles #17

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 6:18 PM EDT

I’m not 100% sure, but I think the circle drive connects to a new road that presumably provides access to the stadium from Fee. The road in the foreground should be the new North Woodlawn extension.

• Aaron #18

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 7:01 PM EDT

To turf an infield is around $150,000. To do an entirely turf field is around $350-400K.

I have heard capacity (could be wrong on this) will be around 2,000-2,500 for new Baseball stadium and 1,000 for softball.

As I have said in an earlier post every coach dreams of a turf infield. It means less rain out’s and starting games in Feb. vs March. Only Indiana State has turf and starts home games in Feb. while no one else can play until March here in Indiana.

• IU PROUD #19

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 9:32 AM EDT

If they get those built in time to start the 2013 season it will be a miracle.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football