Wilson: “We recruited our core values”

Kevin Wilson isn’t holding his signing day press conference in tomorrow, mostly because much of the IU beat media is on its way to Ann Arbor. But here’s a release from IU on some of the things he said during the live webcast this morning.

Opening Statement:
“We tried to address a lot of needs. We’ve got some balance, some offense, defense and more junior college players than normal, but we’re excited about those guys. We’ve got some length, some range and some great bodies to work with, but as always, it is what we can do with these guys once they get here. I think the talent we recruited physically is pretty good, but I like the talent of the kid. I’m not just talking about character. I think the work ethic, the intelligence, the family backgrounds and coming from a lot of great winning programs, there are a lot of things about these kids that I think collectively make it a pretty decent class for us.”

On the recruiting process:
“We complimented the region, but to me it always starts with needs. You try to address them, and I don’t know that we got them all answered, but we went after it in a good way. Selfishly, maybe another corner, maybe another defensive tackle, maybe another linebacker, but you are not going to get them all. I thought our coaches competed. It was a tough fight. I thought our coaches fought for kids.

“I really respected, and it was a little bit my lead, the angle we took in recruiting. We didn’t get into negative things. We didn’t talk about other programs. We talked about what we are trying to build. We were very honest that we didn’t think our season was close to anything we need and want, and that we’ve got a lot of work to do. We didn’t make any false promises about a player coming here to start.

“We did a great job of not just recruiting talent, but recruiting our core values. We sold the values of what we’re trying to attract and how we want to build our program and work, doing things the right way in the classroom, building leaders, building a football team. I think we got a lot of guys that meet the physical needs we want, but I think they fit the needs of what we’re looking for and the kind of kid we want to play ball for us at IU.”

On what is next:
“I’m going to give the guys a couple of days to catch up with their families and then we’ll get back next week. We’ll have about a three-week window, starting with some agility work with the guys, some preparation work. We’ll start spring ball on March 3, the Saturday before the Purdue (basketball) game. We’ll get three practices in before spring break.

“The kids are working hard. They look very good in the weight room and there is a great buzz. Watching them the last couple of days in workouts is pretty exciting. We’ve got a lot of work to do, but I love what I’m seeing from our young men.”

• BeatPurdue #1

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - 5:42 PM EDT

So no chance of getting 2 more to reach 27? Sometimes a few kids get left after the first signing day. Also I believe that our RB Houston signed late.

• Waitingforwins #2

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - 6:24 PM EDT

I hope part of Wilson’s core values is winning football games.

• HT #3

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - 7:05 PM EDT

Probably not, Waiting. Not many coaches want to win games; it’s not in their blood.  Coaching values more often revolve around sharing childhood memories and crocheting….

• TsaTsuG #4

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - 8:05 PM EDT

I think this is a solid, solid recruiting class to set the baseline for the program. I believe Coach Wilson’s statemen that “we recruit to our core values” is a heck of a statement and sets a great course.

I have no doubt this staff will know how to teach and coach these Hoosiers into relevance in the Big Ten. That would be one heck of an achievement.

• KevinK #5

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - 9:16 PM EDT

It all remains to be seen.

We’ll see.

• Hoosier Heart #6

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - 11:02 PM EDT

You never know what might happen. No way they do as bad as last season..right?

• Waitingforwins #7

Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 12:23 PM EDT

HT for all the hype that surrounded Wilson’s hiring about him being an offensive guru and the architect of Oklahoma’s potent offense and then watching what he did at IU last season makes me question his coaching prowess. Just because he was associated with a winning program doesn’t mean those skills have magically been transferred to him and his staff. He still has a lot to prove as far as being a head coach. I’m willing to give him time, but eventually progress needs to be shown on the field with wins.

Hoosier Heart, I’m not taking anything for granted this coming season. Our schedule is tougher and IU will likely be starting a bunch of new players on defense. The influx of JUCO’s is no guarantee because they too need to adjust to playing D1 football. May not be as severe as an adjustment as going from high school to D1 but it is still an adjustment.

• Hoosier Clarion #8

Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 12:28 PM EDT

Bring the Okie talent to Bloomington for Coach Wilson and you’ll have the near same results as in Norman.

• Jay Gregg #9

Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 4:08 PM EDT

For what it’s worth, Matt Canada the coach everyone loved to hate is now the offensive coordinator at Wisconsin.

• Waitingforwins #10

Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 6:12 PM EDT

Hoosier Clarion, it’s not our responsibility to bring the type of talent he had at OU to Bloomington, it’s his. I thought that was the reason we hired him, to get that kind of talent? Correct me if I’m wrong but going 1-11 typically doesn’t endear that kind of talent to want to come here.

This is his first recruiting class that is totally his and will take ownership of. If this group lays a foundation to bigger things, great! If not then all those JUCO’s with only two year’s of eligibility will have affected our long term depth.

• Hoosier Clarion #11

Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 8:31 PM EDT

It is apparent you need to reread my post. You missed the drift entirely. By the way Wilson has shown no propensity to dodge responsibility.

• Chet #12

Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 8:37 PM EDT

Jay, didn’t that happen a couple weeks ago? Good for him. It will be interesting to see how he does. I don’t see us beating the Badgers real soon. Never know, though.

• Podunker #13

Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 10:46 PM EDT

Aside from the seven JC recruits, it’s going to take some time before we’ll know just how good a recruiting class this is. But, I predict IU will win four, maybe five games in 2012 (no place to go but up, right), be more competitive against the Big Ten’s best teams, and show significant improvement on defense. If the defense does not improve, you can expect more coaching changes next November.

IU football still has a long way to go, but the fact that 25 of this year’s recruits had offers from other BCS conference schools is a very good sign. I don’t think that’s been the case for many, many years. And IU did a better job recruiting size with this class(it matters).
    As far as the QB situation, while the big fish spit the hook, Wilson has significantly upgraded his QB talent compared to last year.

Not bad, not bad at all.

• Hoosier Clarion #14

Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 10:56 PM EDT

Po, I 2nd your post. For me the 1st meaningful sign of
    progress is when we dominate the out of conference schedule. Yes the QB and OL have been upgraded with the JUCO’s on D as starters and depth a needed addition. I expect the ST’s to show the biggest improvement overall.

• Chet #15

Thursday, February 2, 2012 - 11:10 PM EDT

I agree, too. It seemed like our past recruits were ignored by every school from a BCS conference but us, which indicates BL had a real eye for gems in the rough…or not.

• Jay Gregg #16

Friday, February 3, 2012 - 9:45 AM EDT

Chet, you may be correct. I just read it Thursday.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football