Yahoo! story on Indiana’s resurrection

You’ve read a lot of these over the years and this won’t tell you much you don’t already know, but Les Carpenter of Yahoo! comes through with one of the more complete and insightful looks we’ve seen at Indiana’s rise back to relevance.

• psych says:

Incredibly well-written story. Thank you for posting this. Definitely brought tears to my eyes a few times. Crean has already done an incredible job at IU, and “The Movement” is not even here yet. Looking forward to this Thursday! Go Hoosiers!

• Ron says:

Wow, Thanks for pointing that article out. Excellent read. I spent the last 35 yrs in Fl, had no idea what this program had gone through.

• Laffy says:

Great article!!!

Thanks for posting that.

The Knight-worshippers are completely clueless crying their eyes out how “HORRIBLE” Crean is.

• Gary M Kitts says:

I used to be an IU fan until Coach Knight was fired. When Coach Crean was hired, I thought that finally someone had the sense to hire a coach who was right for the job. I simply felt sorry for him with the dead carcass left behind by the Sampson debacle. With Coach Crean, I could not help myself caring about IU BB again, even with the painful W-L results. IMO, this year’s record was a year early. Could not have happened to a more deserving group of coaches, players, etc. There are few things in sports more satisfying than making Purdue, UK and ND fans sob in their beers because IU just beat them, as is right and natural. Great article – Thanks!

• who¿ says:

“We had to sell the past,” Crean says.

Now that wouldn’t have worked at Rice or New Mexico, would it?

With Alford we would have played in NCAA last year already.

• Jimmy says:

Right, I’m sure Stevie would’ve led us to 3 NCs by now.

• CG says:

3 NCs and you forgot the Superbowl too.

• who¿ says:

I see Washington Huskies got the #1 seed in NIT.

A bit high don’t you think?

• Chet says:

I lost interest the last few years of RMK. Slightly better than mediocre teams and a bully for a coach just didn’t hold my interest. I followed the RMK/Mike Davis team through the tourney with great interest. But Mike Davis just didn’t care that much about being Indiana’s coach and the fans responded to his lack of total engagement.

I found the whole Kelvin Sampson thing distasteful.

I have closely followed every player and every game, good or bad, since Tom Crean’s hire. He completely invests himself into what IU and Indiana basketball should represent. I felt pretty certain that the Hoosiers would be back to their glory days under his guidance.

I’m sure there are other coaches that could turn IU around but I don’t think there could possibly be a better fit.

That article simply reinforces what I already believed. Thanks for the link.

• Steve in Ottawa says:

With Steve Alford at the helm for Indiana, Cody Zeller would definitely be collecting a championship ring this year – at North Carolina.

• Chet says:

CTC is as good a recruiter as I’ve ever seen, factoring in the type of player we’d prefer to wear the candy stripes (i.e. not the type of player Kentucky or Xavier recruits).

• NIT-witted Tom says:

Oh, so Zeller didn’t come here for Coach Crean? I though Crean is a great recruiter and would have gotten Zeller no matter where he’d have coached.

• Steve in Ottawa says:

^Knew I could faze ya with that one :) !

• Lorenzo says:

Dang. You win. 👿 Very clever.

The 😆 doesn’t show up any more.

Do they still allow 😛 😎 and 😉 on this site?

• Steve in Ottawa says:

So I take it you no longer want to trade Crean for Romar? [url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php][img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-rolleyes004.gif[/img][/url]

• Steve in Ottawa says:

oops…still a newbie at this, Downing… have some patience!

• Steve in Ottawa says:

!

• Larry says:

Excellent article!!!

• Laffy says:

Breaking News: Melo just ruled ineligible and will NOT play in The Dance.

• Chet says:

Go UNCA Bulldogs!!

• Lord of the Passion says:

It’s been a long grind, but the passion is back in Bloomington! Let’s make it happen!

• Lord of the Passion says:

Accompanying music for above post.

• Dave says:

The article talked about someone leaving but their mom was going to keep them there if Crean overlooked two positive drug tests. That means it’s not someone who was kicked-off the team but someone who left on their own account. Crean wanted Crawford to stay so you can rule him out. Basset, Thomas, and one other guy were kicked-off the team by Dakich. Holman left on his own. Who else left on there own?

• Harvard for Hillibillies says:

“Who else left on their own?”

Finkelmeier. He passed a subsequent drug test but it was rumored he failed an open-book Bible quiz.

• pbat says:

Dave,
    we can’t necessarily rule Crawford out… Crean wanted him to stay, but maybe he wouldn’t look the other way on failed drug tests and was still going to make Crawford serve a suspension.

Comments are closed.

WIll Indiana make the NCAA Tournament?

IU vs Penn State men's basketball

• Chet:

Nat, I'm sure you can appreciate the fact that some defenses are based [...]

• Hoosier Clarion:

McDaniel followed Jon Fabris at the end of the 2013 season. Mark Hage [...]

• Podunker:

Both of you said it well. I think it is well past time for IU and IU' [...]

• NatHillIV:

I just don't get the whole coaching thing. I would think any coach sh [...]

• Podunker:

Is Wilson planning to replace all the defensive coaches (not that I'd [...]

• Double Down:

Before the loss at Penn State, here's where Indiana was: [19-4 (9-1), [...]

• iufan23:

Unfortunately, hard to argue that we are a top 25 team. Realistically, [...]

Find Kentucky basketball coverage on VaughtsViews.com - Find Notre Dame football coverage on NDInsider.com. © Hoosier Times Inc., all rights reserved.