Perea tumbles in Rivals rankings; Ferrell stays at No. 19

Know most on here view recruiting rankings as useless, but for those who find them at least mildly intriguing, Rivals.com released its final Top 150 for the Class of 2012 today and Indiana saw some rises and falls in the rankings of their commitments. Park Tudor point guard Yogi Ferrell came close to holding position. The McDonald’s All-American is No. 19 overall, slipping two spots from No. 17. La Lumiere forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea took a significant dip, however, falling from No. 16 to No. 43 and going from a five-star prospect to a four-star. Lawrence Central swingman Jeremy Hollowell got a slight bump, going from No. 48 to No 41 and Broad Ripple guard Ron Patterson stayed the same at No. 131. Center Peter Jurkin is still not in the Top 150.

Glen Robinson III made one of the most significant jumps on the board, leaping to No. 11 overall to become the highest rated player in the state of Indiana, passing both Ferrell and Michigan State signee Gary Harris, who was recently named Mr. Basketball.  Shabazz Muhammad and Nerlens Noel, both of whom are expected to make the announcement of their college decisions tonight, are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 respectively.

• Bill #1

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 1:20 PM EDT

Perea is still over rated in my own personal opinion. I have seen him play many times in person and on tv and the only thing he can do is jump and dunk. No range beyond 10 feet, average rebounder for his size, foul prone and still not fully developed basketball skillwise. With that being said, I look forward to some awesome dunks when he gets to Bloomington. I know I’m in the minority on this but I just don’t see him getting solid minuts or playing right away. He has a lot to work on before he hits B’town. Hollowell at 41 is too low. He needs to be in the 30s and will be on the floor quite a bit as a freshman as he’s a pure scorer.

• Geoff #2

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 1:39 PM EDT

I’m a little surprised that Yogi was so high before, but that being said I’m more surprised that he dropped a couple spots after what I thought was a very impressive showing n the McDonalds game. Those games don’t necessarily mean a whole lot, but you can tell if a player belongs or not, and also who the coaches trust when it comes to winning time at the end.

1. Yogi clearly belonged

2. They lost the lead quickly after he was taken out, and the coach promptly put him back in to secure the game. It was the only substitution made in the last few minutes.

In the end I guess he is where he should be, just an odd way of getting there.

I also agree that Hollowell is a little too low. He should be the steal of the entire class of 2012.

• Larry #3

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 1:43 PM EDT

Wow, how could they be so incredibly wrong to start with???

• MarkMe #4

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 1:58 PM EDT

I was always curious about Perea. I mean he carried a 5-star label but box scores usually showed 8-10 pts & rebounds, each. I wanted to see more in blocks & rebounds. Highlite vids showed great athleticism & dunks. So all in all, I am not surprised in his ‘rating’ drop. Still, if he can work hard, take to coaching, etc. IU will have a nice PF. Glad to hear that Hollowell is the sleeper in the class. Would you compare Hollowell to a Calbert Cheaney, Mike Woodson, CWat, Winston Morgan type of player, who? I recall that Calbert was a sleeper recruit too. He worked out plenty well, lol.

• Adventures in Dentures #5

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 2:10 PM EDT

Geoff-

The slight drop in Yogi’s ranking may be due to the fact it appears he is plagued by a shooting touch similar to Jeremiah Rivers. Compared to Yogi, Remy looks like he has the stroke of Steve Alford.

Speaking of bricks…Does anyone know a good brick-oven pizza to be found in Bloomington? Hot bubbly crust with that bit of chewy texture …and quality cheese not made of fillers? Get so tired of the cardboard pies delivered in cardboard boxes..Remember when carryout pizza almost always came in the puffy paper bag?

• MarkMe #6

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 2:15 PM EDT

Anyone have any scoop on Maurice Creek’s recovery and his ability to add to the team next year? I think he would be a welcome addition if he can return to his freshman form. I just have my concerns having undergone knee surgery myself & knowling how that limited my running & lateral movement; not to mention being limited in workouts due to the more recent blown achilles tendon. Anyone?

• HoosierBear #7

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 2:21 PM EDT

@ Adventures in Dentures

Try Swing In Pizza on 17th just west of College. 330-0000.

• Adventures in Dentures #8

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 2:42 PM EDT

HoosierBear-

Thank you. Is it just carryout?

I do love pizza, but the few times I come to Bloomington it seems I always end up at Trojan Horse. Best damn pork tenderloin sandwich I’ve ever had the delight to devour.

I would go try Nick’s for pizza(not sure if they have the Naples pie and crust I describe) or stroms but I often come down with my family and my kid is too young.

That’s the great thing about going to Chicago…So many delicious pizzas and none of the establishments restrict you from taking your kid into any parlor that can be a fun and cozy place with a bar. Indiana is so damn anal.

• Chet #9

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 3:16 PM EDT

Is Mother Bears still around? I always liked MBs and Cafe Pizzera.

The trouble with Chicago is so many places only serve ‘Chicago style’ pizza and I’m a thin crust guy. Most big cities can offer up good restaurants but they also have, proportionately, lots of bad one as well. I have friends from NYC who come to Asheville and comment that we don’t have as many good eateries. Well…sure…and we don’t have as many bad ones either. We have dozens of great places to eat in our small city and I haven’t gotten around to a fraction of them.

• Adventures in Dentures #10

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 3:36 PM EDT

Almost feel like Chet is a good friend. I can dish out and vent in most extreme fashion and he’ll never abandon his heart.

Thank you Chet. You are a kind and assuring voice where others are never going to make the effort to listen. I know you know what I mean and I’m comfortable with that.

• Adventures in Dentures #11

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 3:40 PM EDT

For Chet.

• Aruss #12

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 3:53 PM EDT

Will Sheehey – 3 Stars, Ranked 141
    Victor Oladipo – 3 Stars, Ranked 144

• Chet #13

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 3:59 PM EDT

You can never have too many friends (unless you just won the lottery).

Keep me posted about the pizza. I used to love those 2 places. I eat at Cafe Pizzeria whenever I pass through town but I usually get a stromboli.

I remember eating at Noble Romans when there was just one restaurant. A couple years ago a convenience store opened up a few miles away. I was quite taken aback to find they served heat and eat Noble Romans pizza at a gas station.

• Chet #14

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 4:02 PM EDT

Aruss, good point.

• TsaoTsuG #15

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 4:02 PM EDT

Dentures…even in Chicago I lay around and dream of pizza from the Pizzeria on Kirkwood at least 2-3 times per week for the last 30 years…once, I jumped in the car and jutst drove the four hours just to have their pizza.

Now, if you go to Chicago for the exact specs you require try Coalfire Pizza on Grand Ave.

• TsaoTsuG #16

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 4:11 PM EDT

Aruss, ***** comment!!

• Adventures in Dentures #17

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 4:30 PM EDT

Does anyone remember Shakey’s Pizza? When I was a kid my parents took us on a month long grand vacation out West..I think we ate at one of the first Shakey’s. It probably wasn’t anything special but I sure have memories it being delicious.

Tsao- Thanks. I’m glad you have also found it in your heart to tolerate me. You are a great listener and I’ve always valued your honesty and heartfelt advice.

Try Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder on Clark Street(near the Lincoln Park area south of Fullerton Ave)..I also enjoy Pizzano’s on State Street(just west of Gold Coast). They are known for the deep dish pies, but I like to order the thin crust. The crust is almost too buttery for my taste, but the toppings and cheese are superb. Their sauce is very light and doesn’t overpower like many the thick pasty and spicy garbage often encountered. Pizzano’s also has a wonderful cookie/ice cream dessert they bake in a 8″ deep dish pizza pan. If there are dessert gods, then this one is their recipe.

I’ll let you guys know how the pizza adventure in Bloomington turns out…Is Cafe Pizzeria the same as Pizzeria on Kirkwood?

• public liability insurance quote #18

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 4:56 PM EDT

Useful information ..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us this useful information. Fantastic walk – through. I appreciate this post.

• public liability insurance quote #19

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 4:58 PM EDT

Why are we screwing around, we just need to turn the lights out… For good. NNEMP generators can be carried as a payload of bombs and cruise missiles, electromagnetic bombs with diminished mechanical, thermal and ionizing radiation effects and without the political consequences of deploying nuclear weapons. A couple of these and the lights go out in Tripoli. It will leave them helpless. These are not something from a science fiction book, they do exist and they should be used immediately.

• PB #20

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 5:29 PM EDT

Coal Fire is on a level by itself. Epic. The coal fired oven cooks the pizza in two minutes. Perfect char and flavor. The other favorite “Non-Chicago” type pizza place that I love is Bricks in Lincoln Park. Great atmosphere and beer selection.

PB

• Geoff #21

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 6:07 PM EDT

Starting to get weird… Sometimes I think Adventures = Harvard, and sometimes I don’t. Any way to clear this up?

• Iso T-Storms #22

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 6:18 PM EDT

Geoff-

If you can’t figure that one out, I have severely overestimated your intelligence.

On another note, I always love Scoop pizza conversations. They unite us and bring out the best in us. Has anyone tried breakfast pizza before? I’ve done it a few times with leftover dough in the mornings. Some brushed olive oil for the crust, a layer of sharp cheese, some thinly sliced ham or crisp bacon – 10 minutes in the oven at 425 in an oiled cast iron skillet. While it’s cooking, scramble some eggs, leaving them a little runny. Open up the oven and spread the eggs on top. Cook for another 5 minutes or until golden.

Top with salsa or pico de gallo. A truly magical morning experience that is sure to put an extra jump in your step.

• Laffy #23

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 6:41 PM EDT

There are 2 places in Vegas that deliver Breakfast Pizza and they do them a little bit different.

The first one has 2 or 4 eggs done well done or scrambled, we got well done, with mozzarella cheese, feta cheese and butter. Then add your own toppings like ham and mushroom or whatever you want.

The other place has egg, sausage, green peppers and ham.

Both were delicious.

• TsaoTsuG #24

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 7:39 PM EDT

Dentures, exactly…Cafe Pizzeria (the correct name and Chet’s favorite) and the Pizzeria (on Kirkwood) are one and the same. As I’m sitting here looking at the traffic on Lake SHore Drive I’m fighting the temptation of leasing a helicopter to take me to Bloomington to go get a sausage and peperoni pizza from Cafe Pizzeria. Oh God I want one!!!!

Thanks for the comment on Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder on Clark. I’ve heard it mentioned and always good and have thought about getting a Pizza from them. There used to be a great, great place off Montrose on the north side run by a guy from either Serbia or Croatia who ran a place named Babba Mara. Everything fresh, incredible home made sausage, other toppings but he closed it three years ago and I am now searching for a new delivery pizza joint. I’ll try CP&OG. Pieces (Coalfire does not deliver)is also good.

Go Hoosiers!

• TsaoTsuG #25

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 8:22 PM EDT

Whooaaa! Iso…I’m going to have to open a file for your recipes. Good one.

Another use for dough (sort of like a wrap or hot pocket) called empanada. Fry some ground beef, little chopped onions, chopped hard boiled egg, chopped olives w/pimento, a little corn and some raisins. Spice to taste. Drop a soup spoon or a bit more pf the filling in the middle of the wrap, fold one side up and over the filling and bring the edges together and press the edges closing the pocket all the way into a half-moon. Dust with flour and put in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool some and enjoy. (You grab these with your hand.

• Chet #26

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 8:36 PM EDT

I love all kinds of food but I’ve always had a thing about raisins. Just can’t eat them.

On another food note, I didn’t know before last summer that ALL fish (including sushi/sashimi grade) has been previously frozen. The FDA requires it to kill parasites. It’s usually flash frozen at sea to something like 40 below.

• Chet #27

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 8:46 PM EDT

Let me qualify that to mean all fish from retailers, resellers, or restaurants. I’ve bought fish from fishermen selling it out of a cooler that I’m pretty sure wasn’t frozen.

• Chet #28

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 8:56 PM EDT

Shabazz Muhammad is headed to UCLA after turning down Kentucky. I guess the check didn’t clear.

• Laffy #29

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:01 PM EDT

Did everyone see that the #1 player told Kaintuck to go to hell and picked UCLA?

Of course, the classless hillbillies are TRASHING the kid for turning them down when 5 minutes before, they were slobbering all over him BEGGING him to go to their corrupt program.

LOL!!

• BBN #30

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:05 PM EDT

If you were watching laffy, the #1 player went to ky

• Chet #31

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:12 PM EDT

Nope, Shabazz Muhammad picked UCLA. It seems he can read and thought Kaintuck would be a poor fit.

• BBN #32

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:17 PM EDT

I guess it was a typo when it said espnu top player on the bottom of the screen when Noel made his decision

• BBN #33

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:19 PM EDT

We will get Bennett too

• BBN #34

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:22 PM EDT

Repeat? Hmmm. Yeah I think we should

• BBN #35

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:25 PM EDT

• Laffy #36

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:44 PM EDT

He’s not ranked # 1 by Rivals, Elmer…which is what most people use.

• Iso T-Storms #37

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:59 PM EDT

UCLA is far and away the top program in NCAA history. Kentucky strives to mentioned in the same breath, but, alas they fall short again. GOod choice Shabazz. Go Bruins.

• Chet #38

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 10:31 PM EDT

But, lest we forget, UK will be having their big annual fund raiser, the cricket and live minnow sale, coming up soon. They are having a contest as well. The buyer with the most teeth wins a spin cast reel.

The Youneevercity of Kaintuck. Amurika’s #1 bait and tackle shop.

• Chet #39

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 11:05 PM EDT

It’s very interesting that, in contrast to many top football program, the traditional basketball powers are also great academic programs. You have Duke, Connecticut, North Carolina, UCLA, and Indiana.

Of course, the exception that proves the rule would be Kentucky…

• IULONGAGO #40

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 12:53 AM EDT

The number of ‘Stars’ no longer makes any difference. One question is “Can they play” and Yogi definitely can. The other question is “Can they fit into the system and team to which they have committed” and I think all of these guys can. They don’t have to have a certain number of ‘Stars’ on recruiting websites. They need to be able to contribute at IU. If they can, that trumps all of the speculative ‘stars.’

• eric #41

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 9:14 AM EDT

Pizza first, recruiting second.

Nick’s has great pizza, in my opinion, and I have to have a stromboli with extra cheese on any visit to Bloomington lasting more than 2 hours. The sweet pickles they serve with the strom are the only pickles I like.

Mother Bear’s was always a favorite as well. Sometimes when I visit I get it delivered to the hotel. Lennie’s was always good for gourmet pizza, which nowadays is pretty mainstream. That’s the first place I ever had a BBQ chicken pizza, and now you can get them anywhere, but not as good as Lennie’s.

Is Rockit’s still there? I remember stumbling out of the Bluebird, getting a big slice from Rockit’s, and then eating it while loitering in what was a vacant lot next to the ‘bird. It’s now got a building on it but perhaps the Rockit’s part of the experience is still available to young Hoosiers these days.

As for recruiting, we may as well get used to UK having several one-year wonders. It’s not going to change unless the rule changes. Calipari may at some point fail to sufficiently cover his tracks and get busted, but he may not.

I think Crean has an excellent strategy–get lots of very good multi-year, even 4-year, players, develop them and win with them. Watford, Hulls,Elston,Oladipo and Sheehey are all good examples of that.

I believe this incoming class is more of the same–probably no one-and-done guys, but very effective players in Crean’s system who, with experience in the program, will be part of a lot of success. Sprinkle in some serious studs like Cody and you’ve got a national contender. I’m pleased with this approach.

• Hoosier Clarion #42

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 9:22 AM EDT

As a rule I could not care less about how the *’s align once a HS baller commits to be a Hoosier but would add this single caveat, Marcus Paige(UNC)at #34 is a gift straight from a Cracker Jack box. Ron Patterson ate him up in the 2nd half in their game at the Run ‘n’ Slam a year ago in Fort Wayne. He stymied Paige’s game so completely it had to be the embarrassment of that entire tournament. Patterson is a warrior who at a your age figured out strong D transitions to strong offense.

• Chet #43

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 9:39 AM EDT

eric, I have been informed, I don’t know for certain if this is true, that Nick’s actually has their pizzas made at Cafe Pizzeria theses days.

I with you on the stroms.

• Mark82 #44

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 9:48 AM EDT

CHET #38

Do you know what you have when you get 4 Ky siblings together? —————–A full set of teeth.

• Laffy #45

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:12 AM EDT

I had a strom the last time I was at Nick’s a few years ago and was very unimpressed.

Next time I go back, I’m getting a gyro at Trojan Horse. Best I ever had.

And a beer at the Irish Lion…..

• BeatPurdue #46

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:56 AM EDT

Yes, and Vic and Will were numbers 141 and 144. Crean seems to know his talent better than the “expert-less”!

• Iso T-Storms #47

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 11:36 AM EDT

Do y’all remember how 4tards used Will and VIc as examples of Crean’s failures? He had all sorts of names for that recruiting class, believing it was a joke. No wonder he never shows up on the Scoop anymore.

• Chet #48

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 12:04 PM EDT

A gyro at the Trojan Horse is always a good bet.

• Adventures in Dentures #49

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 12:06 PM EDT

On a visit to Trojan Horse a few months ago, I was sorta disappointed that the owner had removed the Greek flag that always flanked the paneled wall across from a grouping my favorite lover level booths; replaced by cheap art when the flag was simply in need a good professional cleaning.

They also went away from the classic paper menus in favor of plastic stuff with photos a few of their “popular” dishes. I understand the place is a Bloomington landmark, but why mess with its wonderful uniqueness? Why subject the eyes a first time visitor to even the slightest indication the souring thoughts a stomach that can quickly be turned off when conjuring up gurgles the all too familiar food-splattered menus and gross plastic-tasting food a typical chain restaurant? Plastic may save the expense some reprinting, and may wipe clean by means a grungy brown kitchen rag, but along with the smearing of bacteria comes the removal the nostalgic trip worth the drive that lets me escape to days in Bloomington I had more substance in my heart than the plastic reality that wins over with the daily grind society’s quest to pluralize, blend, and mold. I hate it when owners use cheap band-aids and props to avoid a little expense the restorative labor costs to truly give a place the right amount of tender love to preserve and nurture its enduring individual character.

Bitch session over. The gyros at Trojan Horse are still phenomenal!….Laffy is right. Best you’ll ever have. Jalapeno poppers and the breaded dill pickle spears with side of Sazuki sauce…Yum

Yes, I know. It was for Chet. I think he owns a pair of Zazikis.

• Adventures in Dentures #50

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 12:11 PM EDT

oops. Freudian slip..lower level booths.

I think the lover level booths may be upstairs.

• Chet #51

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 12:14 PM EDT

Do you remember a little history of the Trojan Horse? It used to be Zeus’ Restaurant, a tiny place a couple doors down from Nick’s. Where the Horse is now was the Brigantine. Zeus’ burned down and they took over the Brig renaming it the Trojan Horse.

Please visit the gift shop on your way out.

• Adventures in Dentures #52

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 12:38 PM EDT

Chet-

That was some new Trojan Horse/Bloomington history for me. Just curious…Did this fire occur before you dabbled around in art and completed your pair of masterful dinosaur wall paintings found at the Marengo caves?

• Adventures in Dentures #53

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 1:04 PM EDT

Iso T-Storms-

4guards also never stopped pounding the drum the monumental importance of putting Cody in candy-stripes. Landing Zeller was a program-changer. There was not a blogger with more postings his admiration for the skills the center from Washington than 4guards.

There was definitley a constant conflict…4guards was forever twisted between his distaste for Tom Crean and his wishes to see IU basketball return to prominence. He saw Zeller as giving Indiana the needed shot in the arm at restoring that tradition despite the temporariness the snake oil salesman that gets the credit.

Crean has proven his keen eye for finding potential talent other coaches may overlook a typical rankings list, but without the 7-footer in the middle that made all the future dominoes fall, I think we wouldn’t have much mud to rub in any faces are basketball rivals and blogging villains.

4guards vowed to never return to Scoop after Kellenberger censored him. Do you remember him making the claim he while we were chatting with him on Hoosier Hype?
    Did he really do or say anything more outlandish than the filth we’ve seen on this blog from those that now populate this place(myself not being immune)?

4guards kept his word to not return so I guess we all look the bigger narcissists. Are we truer fans of IU basketball? I doubt it.

• Iso T-Storms #54

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 1:17 PM EDT

Those are good points; in reality, my scorn of 4guards is based less on the guy himself and more on him as a symbol or figurehead for all the doubters, naysayers, and haters out there who wanted to hang Coach Crean for not winning a championship with Kyle Taber and Brett Finklemeir.

It’s the easiest thing in the world to stomp on someone and call for their head during hard times. It takes a bigger person to see the bigger picture and trust in someone’s pedigree and dedication.

Crean is now bringing the kind of talent to IU that makes the rest of the nation salivate. These are Knight-type players who succeed on and off the court. 4guards was spot on in his Zeller prediction, but he was never man enough to give the coach one iota of credit.

• Adventures in Dentures #55

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 1:18 PM EDT

….our basketball rivals and blogging villain

• Adventures in Dentures #56

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 1:41 PM EDT

Those are all excellent points. I probably don’t give Crean enough credit either. I’m more a player-driven fan and enjoy coaches that are a bit more reserved, tend to defer to their talent, rather than preach.

I’m delighted in our basketball success but I am also somewhat at conflict with it because of the many uses and public examples our institution being theatre to sell a particular religious creed.

I have trouble with that and think it cheapens a man’s intentions along with painting shallow the broad ideals that separates an inclusive and tolerant Indiana University from the typical restrictive condemnation so prevalent these times. It runs counter to growth and understanding all that can blossom from a college experience beyond any knowledge attained a thick book – be it science or “fairytale.”

• Adventures in Dentures #57

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 1:50 PM EDT

Gotta go now..Dog needs walked..Food needs harvested. Shoot me down.

Good to chat with my old friend again. Taking your Europe trip this year?

• Iso T-Storms #58

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 2:18 PM EDT

You too, good to chat. Off to work. Europe is in the cards this year indeed. Family trip. Have a brother and nephew living over there.

Give the dog a pet for me. What kind is he?

• Adventures in Dentures #59

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 2:34 PM EDT

She. She’s a wonderful yellow Labrador. She has been struggling from diabletes for two years..I give her two shots of insulin per day…She has lost nearly all her sight from the disease but none her unconditional love and wag of tail. I’m her favorite. Nice to be a favorite when it’s only the sound a voice that makes the heart long. I’ll be the lost puppy when she is gone.

You have fun in Europe. I’ll tend to the Indiana corn.

• Chet #60

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 3:10 PM EDT

I so love my dog. He’s the best friend I have that I’m not married to. I quit driving my treasured old German coupe and switched to a Subaru just so he could come with me on errands (he actually took a 600 mile trip with me on a dual sport motorcycle once). I like Subaru’s dog-centered ad campaign (‘Lab tested, Lab approved’).

His greatest joy in life is running along with me while I’m mountain biking, although he seems to take great joy in pretty much everything.

Before we let 4guards off the hook remember that while he said Crean had to sign Cody to succeed, he also claimed Crean couldn’t do it.

I can’t wait for our newly hatched 7 footer to spend hours in the gym with Cody. I can’t imagine a better situation for Peter to develop his skills.

Never been to Europe, though my wife has several times and a couple of my kids have. While I’m not much on old castles, I’ve always wanted to spend a couple weeks on a sailboat in the Greek isles.

• Adventures in Dentures #61

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 3:34 PM EDT

4guards, Cody, and Peter Jurkin…? I think 4guards has already “been there, done that.” Sorry, couldn’t resist.

• Adventures in Dentures #62

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 5:52 PM EDT

I don’t actually remember 4guards claiming Crean couldn’t land Cody..I just have recollection the continual “everything hinges on Cody” utterances. No doubt he was setting up his Act II to crucify Crean upon his own highfalutin cross if Cody dropped our hearts to our bellies and announced to be a Tar Heel that fateful day all eyes and ears nearly every Hoosier fan engrossed in Zellerpalooza.

Did anyone catch Seth Davis doing yet another dig aimed at the Hoosiers? He dug out a quote from an anonymous Big 10 coach claiming “no amount of working with Peter Jurkin makes a Magic Johhson.”

• Adventures in Dentures #63

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 5:59 PM EDT

Interesting to look back. Take notice around the 2:50 mark of the clip when Dustin begins to talk about the Zeller and Etherington friendship and the work Austin put in to getting his close friend in candy-stripes.

• Chet #64

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 7:40 PM EDT

Well, there go my hopes for PJ playing point for us. That Seth Davis is always spot on.

• Hoosier Clarion #65

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 7:57 PM EDT

For such a biased slant on everything IU BB SD must have lost a bundle on the 1st IU/pUKe game or bet against IU playing in the Sweet 16. Which is all fine as he is so much fun to cuss.

• Geoff #66

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 9:36 PM EDT

Couple points on all this…

I think that star ratings have more to do with immediate NBA prospects than if they’ll be good college contributors. There is still so much physical and skill development between 17 and 22, and so many levels of conference, and styles of play that hundreds of 1, 2, and 3 star players finish successful D1 college careers every year. …5-star just means they are NBA draft talents right now.

I remember 4guards clearly stating his doubt that Crean would land Cody.

I think the Peter Jurkin -> Magic Johnson thing was a pun.

I think Harvard and Laffy have one thing in common… They are both overly sensitive to Crean’s public religious stances.

I agree with every word of Iso’s post #54

• Chet #67

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 9:51 PM EDT

Geoff, no doubt that NBA talent and college talent are different. Any UNC fan old enough to remember will tell you that Phil Ford was a better college guard than Michael Jordan (and I understand they both didn’t play point). For that matter Ernie DiGregorio was a better college player than MJ. It’s a different game.

I’ll take 4 (or even 2) years of Cody Zeller vs. one of Anthony Davis any day. Everything about the pseudo student athletes at UK sickens me. Whether he plays 2 years or 4 I’ll bet you anything that Cody Zeller earns a college degree and four years after graduation he will be worth twice what he made during his playing days.

• Adventures in Dentures #68

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:03 PM EDT

I remember 4guards clearly stating his doubt that Crean would land Cody.

I don’t remember a guy named Geoff blogging on Scoop when 4guards was around. You must have had a different screen name back then? John Johnson? Vicky? Surely you didn’t just sit quietly as 4girdles defecated all over this blog with his “clapping” jokes.

I think the Peter Jurkin -> Magic Johnson thing was a pun.

Thank you Monty Hall! Show the young man what he’s won behind Curtain #1.

I agree with every word of Iso’s post #54

You are either Iso or I’ve clearly overestimated your intelligence.

• Adventures in Dentures #69

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:10 PM EDT

….John Johnson but you went by Vicky?

• Chet #70

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:27 PM EDT

Geof has been as sincere and honest as anybody on here. Way more than most. Like me, I’m betting he uses his real name.

• Geoff #71

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:27 PM EDT

I only read, I didn’t blog…

• Adventures in Dentures #72

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 11:17 PM EDT

Dustin had a lot of blog interaction with 4guards. I wonder if he remembers any specific posts where 4guards declared with absolute certainty Crean not landing Zeller. I think many had doubts. Doubt was in the equation for almost every expert on top the process until the day of the announcement.

I remember more of a “Zeller will come to Indiana in spite of Crean” angle taken by 4guards. Rooted in his motive was to see Indiana return to the level of basketball prominence indicative of a once elite program all Hoosiers have yearned for and have seen gradually slipping away. Cody symbolized every Hoosier that ever dove for a loose ball and never found the glory of banners…His faith in Indiana and the tradition surrounding the storied basketball played on McCracken superseded any form of deep bond with the man in charge his recruitment. Zeller understood his bigger role in finalizing the resurrection and chose Indiana for love the cream and crimson above anything sold from a preacher in pinstripe suit wearing a cross around the neck. He didn’t care about saying ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to Crean..Cody couldn’t let down Hoosier Nation and couldn’t watch the dusty banners sway in perpetual stagnancy. He carried the weight of savior and exceeded all expectations off an on the court his ability to carry such a load on the shoulders and 18-year-old.

This is not a defense of 4guards. Zeller took a risk very few in his shoes would have had the courage. He did not guarantee himself anything when he picked IU.

• Adventures in Dentures #73

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 11:30 PM EDT

oops..He carried the weight of savior and exceeded all expectations off and on the court.

Geoff- I don’t know if you ever did any reading without blogging on Hoosier Hype(formerly known as Basketblog) on IDS, but Iso T-Storms never stopped with his favorite declaration: Eric Gordon came selfishly to Indiana to merely play for Kelvin Sampson. He never stopped slighting the kid. I have every right to slight with my own perspective on this day…

Cody Zeller came to Indiana to play for Indiana.

• TsaoTsuG #74

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 12:55 AM EDT

Dentures, great post on 4guards. I’ve been posting here for somewhat over a year, from what appears to be the moment just after he was banished (or left), so I never saw his extreme commentaries and even after the references to his ‘extremes’ I wonder about the reasons. Evidently, he questioned Crean quite a bit but from what you say I gather he was a huge Hoosier fan.

Now, switching the subject a bit to your post #49…about changes that seems to lack a reason; or worse, lack historical sense and leave us wondering about what was…I truly, truly agree…I used to have a friend…Harvard something…perfect name, like finding the Art Museum of Speedway, or the Convent at East Kirkwood…,or receiving an invitation to the wedding of Mr and Mrs John Edwards and Bill Clinton…Harvard for Hillbillies…it just had a ring…(especially after we- Chet, myself, maybe Podunker- spent the first three weeks begging for a change)

• TsaoTsuG #75

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 1:02 AM EDT

Though…Iso’s point is absolutely valid and correct in its message. Great point!

• Harvard for Hillbillies #76

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 4:34 AM EDT

You are right, Tsao. My apologies for my games of deception. I’m not nearly as skilled my old friend from Basketblog that is currently playing around with weather patterns as a screen name. I’m pretty sure most of you knew it was me.

Is it really that difficult? The grammar is ragged…the sentences run on…there is the presence of manic tendencies and points of view drifting in conflict the unresolved essence my own soul. cry…cry..cry…whine…whine…whine as Laffy has frequently pointed out.

I actually sent an application to Harvard. Boy, I showed them.

• Iso T-Storms #77

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 5:55 AM EDT

Just a quick early morning point:

Two Zellers rejected Indiana with Davis at the helm ( along with many other important home grown players).

The fact that the third Zeller chose IU, after the coach changed, isn’t merely incidental.

• Scattered T-Storms #78

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:03 AM EDT

Adding to that thought, I think it’s borderline ridiculous that we continue to rehash “Was it the coach, or was it the school?” question. It’s obviously always a bit of both.

Would Eric Gordon have reneged on his Illinois commitment to follow Sampson to Tennesssee? Of course not. He sought the right combination of coach and hometown school.

Would Zeller similarly have followed Crean to Rice or Kansas State? Not in a million years. Like Gordon, he wanted a coach that would make him feel comfortable playing in his own backyard.

We need to stop bending this argument to one side or another to fit our particular opinion of the coach.

• Chet #79

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:15 AM EDT

Why not apply to Harvard? A poor, inner city, African American kid, raised by a single mom, out of Indianapolis Cathedral sent them a letter and got accepted but went to Cornell instead. Eric Peck is his name.

Roll the dice.

I graduated from IU and found myself working in ‘retail management’ for Osco Drug in Evansville. I wanted to kill myself every time I walked through those doors. I’d think, “So this is what my life has become. Deciding whether to put Tide or Cheer on an endcap.”

Walking home one day I noticed a billboard with an F-14 rotating off the flight deck. I decided WTF. Those guys gotta come from SOMEWHERE. I was in Pensacola 2 months later getting screamed at by a very intense man in a Smokey Bear hat. Completely changed my life. Everything I have done sense has seemed easy.

Roll the dice.

BTW, I never even tried to get into Harvard so you got me there. I was lucky Indiana took me.

• Chet #80

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:18 AM EDT

Iso, I’d have to check on Luke but Davis couldn’t possibly have been the coach when Tyler picked his school.

• Hoosier Clarion #81

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:31 AM EDT

Chet I am thinking like you but I do believe MD was at IU when Luke choose ND. IIRC 2005.

• Hoosier Clarion #82

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:46 AM EDT

I was always under the assumption Coach Knight brought MD to Bloomington for his recruiting prowess but yet when he became HC his recruiting results were in my estimation lacking in direction and energy developing into marginal results. Was RMK that far off base with his assessment of Davis or would he have thrived under the direction of Knight?

• Chet #83

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:09 AM EDT

Well, if RMK was being honest he certainly wouldn’t have thrived because he stated on several occasions that he was planning on letting Davis go at the end of the season.

• Hoosier Clarion #84

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:23 AM EDT

Yes, that was after the firing. I always felt there was a certain amount of animosity hosting those remarks because Knight’s character holds fierce loyalties and I am sure he felt MD should have supported him by refusing to take the interim job and disloyalty when he did. The result is Knight either got misleading advise as to MD’s recruiting talent or he simply hired the wrong guy.

• Laffy #85

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:33 AM EDT

4guards thought Crean was THE biggest joke in basketball and would NEVER land Cody.

Of course, he VANISHED the SECOND we got him.

• Chet #86

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:18 AM EDT

Oh, I think he has done the occasional ‘drive by’ but never under his previous name.

• Larry #87

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:37 AM EDT

MD simply never had a chance under the circumstances (following who we all thought was GOD at the time)regardless of what field we discuss.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #88

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 2:24 PM EDT

Another guy vanished once we landed Cody..Makes me wonder if 4guards is the “Ultimate Entertainer.” Probably not. Probably just my wild imagination getting the best of me again.

But does anyone remember the Elstongate papers?

There were obviously quite a few, some roaming THE halls this very newspaper company we joyously blog, that wanted nothing more than to make a joke out of Tom Crean. They all looked quite sparkly in their sequin disguises back then. Let’s not pretend there was only one villain that saw Tom Crean as a charlatan to crucify upon his own holier-than-thou blow. There were just as many journalists working this town as there were bloggers looking for any angle possible to doubt, ridicule, and tear down IU basketball. They used their positions on a smaller scale than farces like Seth Davis, but their intentions were no different.

Kellenberger removed 4guards from this site because he was stealing his own gig. 4guards was banished before he ever had a chance to vanish.

Only Dustin knows the truth his IP address and if he still is amongst us under a different name. Only Dustin knows if the ULTIMATE MODERATOR has taken the censorship wall down for the 4guards IP address.

• Chet #89

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 2:42 PM EDT

It’s easy enough to post from a different IP address.

Hugh couldn’t hide his disdain for all thing Hoosier. He loathed us all.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #90

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 3:08 PM EDT

I’m not sure all the loathing grit is gone from this tumbleweed town.

note: That image is not of my hand, but it was posted on the day Kellenberger was formerly giving his goodbyes on Scoop and, in my most humble opinion, is a true classic.

• Scattered T-Storms #91

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 3:12 PM EDT

Dustin’s head looks so natural on the grafted body in that picture. It is as if he was born to be the handsome sheriff of Deadwood; the hatless enforcer to accompany Wild Bill Hughcock.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #92

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 3:23 PM EDT

I agree. It was genius. Long live Remora.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #93

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 3:42 PM EDT

..and may I also add that Scattered T-Storms can place two quick-draw sentences out of his holster describing his interpretation the “True Grit” photo and immediately blow me away his creative thought process and writing skills.

It’s no wonder I have confidence issues when in the presence so many on this blog with great analytical minds, stories of grabbing life by the bullhorns, and skills with pen that leave me feeling rather cheated.

I want to cry to mommy..but mommy is gone.

• Chet #94

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 3:50 PM EDT

…sometimes ‘grabbing life by the bullhorns’ is simply an act of desperation…

• Harvard for Hillbillies #95

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 4:07 PM EDT

..better an “act of desperation” than to be without an act.

• Larry #96

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 1:04 PM EDT

Dang, looks like a few IU fans are getting bored already. This is starting to look like a Purdue Boilermaker forum during one of their few winning streaks!!! LOL

• rico chet #97

Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 12:34 AM EDT

I so love my dog. He’s the best friend I have that I’m not married to.

Tell us more about this 36 year old dog.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football