Perea tumbles in Rivals rankings; Ferrell stays at No. 19

Know most on here view recruiting rankings as useless, but for those who find them at least mildly intriguing, Rivals.com released its final Top 150 for the Class of 2012 today and Indiana saw some rises and falls in the rankings of their commitments. Park Tudor point guard Yogi Ferrell came close to holding position. The McDonald’s All-American is No. 19 overall, slipping two spots from No. 17. La Lumiere forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea took a significant dip, however, falling from No. 16 to No. 43 and going from a five-star prospect to a four-star. Lawrence Central swingman Jeremy Hollowell got a slight bump, going from No. 48 to No 41 and Broad Ripple guard Ron Patterson stayed the same at No. 131. Center Peter Jurkin is still not in the Top 150.

Glen Robinson III made one of the most significant jumps on the board, leaping to No. 11 overall to become the highest rated player in the state of Indiana, passing both Ferrell and Michigan State signee Gary Harris, who was recently named Mr. Basketball.  Shabazz Muhammad and Nerlens Noel, both of whom are expected to make the announcement of their college decisions tonight, are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 respectively.

• Bill says:

Perea is still over rated in my own personal opinion. I have seen him play many times in person and on tv and the only thing he can do is jump and dunk. No range beyond 10 feet, average rebounder for his size, foul prone and still not fully developed basketball skillwise. With that being said, I look forward to some awesome dunks when he gets to Bloomington. I know I’m in the minority on this but I just don’t see him getting solid minuts or playing right away. He has a lot to work on before he hits B’town. Hollowell at 41 is too low. He needs to be in the 30s and will be on the floor quite a bit as a freshman as he’s a pure scorer.

• Geoff says:

I’m a little surprised that Yogi was so high before, but that being said I’m more surprised that he dropped a couple spots after what I thought was a very impressive showing n the McDonalds game. Those games don’t necessarily mean a whole lot, but you can tell if a player belongs or not, and also who the coaches trust when it comes to winning time at the end.

1. Yogi clearly belonged

2. They lost the lead quickly after he was taken out, and the coach promptly put him back in to secure the game. It was the only substitution made in the last few minutes.

In the end I guess he is where he should be, just an odd way of getting there.

I also agree that Hollowell is a little too low. He should be the steal of the entire class of 2012.

• Larry says:

Wow, how could they be so incredibly wrong to start with???

• MarkMe says:

I was always curious about Perea. I mean he carried a 5-star label but box scores usually showed 8-10 pts & rebounds, each. I wanted to see more in blocks & rebounds. Highlite vids showed great athleticism & dunks. So all in all, I am not surprised in his ‘rating’ drop. Still, if he can work hard, take to coaching, etc. IU will have a nice PF. Glad to hear that Hollowell is the sleeper in the class. Would you compare Hollowell to a Calbert Cheaney, Mike Woodson, CWat, Winston Morgan type of player, who? I recall that Calbert was a sleeper recruit too. He worked out plenty well, lol.

• Adventures in Dentures says:

Geoff-

The slight drop in Yogi’s ranking may be due to the fact it appears he is plagued by a shooting touch similar to Jeremiah Rivers. Compared to Yogi, Remy looks like he has the stroke of Steve Alford.

Speaking of bricks…Does anyone know a good brick-oven pizza to be found in Bloomington? Hot bubbly crust with that bit of chewy texture …and quality cheese not made of fillers? Get so tired of the cardboard pies delivered in cardboard boxes..Remember when carryout pizza almost always came in the puffy paper bag?

• MarkMe says:

Anyone have any scoop on Maurice Creek’s recovery and his ability to add to the team next year? I think he would be a welcome addition if he can return to his freshman form. I just have my concerns having undergone knee surgery myself & knowling how that limited my running & lateral movement; not to mention being limited in workouts due to the more recent blown achilles tendon. Anyone?

• HoosierBear says:

@ Adventures in Dentures

Try Swing In Pizza on 17th just west of College. 330-0000.

• Adventures in Dentures says:

HoosierBear-

Thank you. Is it just carryout?

I do love pizza, but the few times I come to Bloomington it seems I always end up at Trojan Horse. Best damn pork tenderloin sandwich I’ve ever had the delight to devour.

I would go try Nick’s for pizza(not sure if they have the Naples pie and crust I describe) or stroms but I often come down with my family and my kid is too young.

That’s the great thing about going to Chicago…So many delicious pizzas and none of the establishments restrict you from taking your kid into any parlor that can be a fun and cozy place with a bar. Indiana is so damn anal.

• Chet says:

Is Mother Bears still around? I always liked MBs and Cafe Pizzera.

The trouble with Chicago is so many places only serve ‘Chicago style’ pizza and I’m a thin crust guy. Most big cities can offer up good restaurants but they also have, proportionately, lots of bad one as well. I have friends from NYC who come to Asheville and comment that we don’t have as many good eateries. Well…sure…and we don’t have as many bad ones either. We have dozens of great places to eat in our small city and I haven’t gotten around to a fraction of them.

• Adventures in Dentures says:

Almost feel like Chet is a good friend. I can dish out and vent in most extreme fashion and he’ll never abandon his heart.

Thank you Chet. You are a kind and assuring voice where others are never going to make the effort to listen. I know you know what I mean and I’m comfortable with that.

• Adventures in Dentures says:

For Chet.

• Aruss says:

Will Sheehey – 3 Stars, Ranked 141
    Victor Oladipo – 3 Stars, Ranked 144

• Chet says:

You can never have too many friends (unless you just won the lottery).

Keep me posted about the pizza. I used to love those 2 places. I eat at Cafe Pizzeria whenever I pass through town but I usually get a stromboli.

I remember eating at Noble Romans when there was just one restaurant. A couple years ago a convenience store opened up a few miles away. I was quite taken aback to find they served heat and eat Noble Romans pizza at a gas station.

• Chet says:

Aruss, good point.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Dentures…even in Chicago I lay around and dream of pizza from the Pizzeria on Kirkwood at least 2-3 times per week for the last 30 years…once, I jumped in the car and jutst drove the four hours just to have their pizza.

Now, if you go to Chicago for the exact specs you require try Coalfire Pizza on Grand Ave.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Aruss, ***** comment!!

• Adventures in Dentures says:

Does anyone remember Shakey’s Pizza? When I was a kid my parents took us on a month long grand vacation out West..I think we ate at one of the first Shakey’s. It probably wasn’t anything special but I sure have memories it being delicious.

Tsao- Thanks. I’m glad you have also found it in your heart to tolerate me. You are a great listener and I’ve always valued your honesty and heartfelt advice.

Try Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder on Clark Street(near the Lincoln Park area south of Fullerton Ave)..I also enjoy Pizzano’s on State Street(just west of Gold Coast). They are known for the deep dish pies, but I like to order the thin crust. The crust is almost too buttery for my taste, but the toppings and cheese are superb. Their sauce is very light and doesn’t overpower like many the thick pasty and spicy garbage often encountered. Pizzano’s also has a wonderful cookie/ice cream dessert they bake in a 8″ deep dish pizza pan. If there are dessert gods, then this one is their recipe.

I’ll let you guys know how the pizza adventure in Bloomington turns out…Is Cafe Pizzeria the same as Pizzeria on Kirkwood?

• Useful information ..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us this useful information. Fantastic walk – through. I appreciate this post.

• Why are we screwing around, we just need to turn the lights out… For good. NNEMP generators can be carried as a payload of bombs and cruise missiles, electromagnetic bombs with diminished mechanical, thermal and ionizing radiation effects and without the political consequences of deploying nuclear weapons. A couple of these and the lights go out in Tripoli. It will leave them helpless. These are not something from a science fiction book, they do exist and they should be used immediately.

• PB says:

Coal Fire is on a level by itself. Epic. The coal fired oven cooks the pizza in two minutes. Perfect char and flavor. The other favorite “Non-Chicago” type pizza place that I love is Bricks in Lincoln Park. Great atmosphere and beer selection.

PB

• Geoff says:

Starting to get weird… Sometimes I think Adventures = Harvard, and sometimes I don’t. Any way to clear this up?

• Iso T-Storms says:

Geoff-

If you can’t figure that one out, I have severely overestimated your intelligence.

On another note, I always love Scoop pizza conversations. They unite us and bring out the best in us. Has anyone tried breakfast pizza before? I’ve done it a few times with leftover dough in the mornings. Some brushed olive oil for the crust, a layer of sharp cheese, some thinly sliced ham or crisp bacon – 10 minutes in the oven at 425 in an oiled cast iron skillet. While it’s cooking, scramble some eggs, leaving them a little runny. Open up the oven and spread the eggs on top. Cook for another 5 minutes or until golden.

Top with salsa or pico de gallo. A truly magical morning experience that is sure to put an extra jump in your step.

• Laffy says:

There are 2 places in Vegas that deliver Breakfast Pizza and they do them a little bit different.

The first one has 2 or 4 eggs done well done or scrambled, we got well done, with mozzarella cheese, feta cheese and butter. Then add your own toppings like ham and mushroom or whatever you want.

The other place has egg, sausage, green peppers and ham.

Both were delicious.

• TsaoTsuG says:

Dentures, exactly…Cafe Pizzeria (the correct name and Chet’s favorite) and the Pizzeria (on Kirkwood) are one and the same. As I’m sitting here looking at the traffic on Lake SHore Drive I’m fighting the temptation of leasing a helicopter to take me to Bloomington to go get a sausage and peperoni pizza from Cafe Pizzeria. Oh God I want one!!!!

Thanks for the comment on Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder on Clark. I’ve heard it mentioned and always good and have thought about getting a Pizza from them. There used to be a great, great place off Montrose on the north side run by a guy from either Serbia or Croatia who ran a place named Babba Mara. Everything fresh, incredible home made sausage, other toppings but he closed it three years ago and I am now searching for a new delivery pizza joint. I’ll try CP&OG. Pieces (Coalfire does not deliver)is also good.

Go Hoosiers!

• TsaoTsuG says:

Whooaaa! Iso…I’m going to have to open a file for your recipes. Good one.

Another use for dough (sort of like a wrap or hot pocket) called empanada. Fry some ground beef, little chopped onions, chopped hard boiled egg, chopped olives w/pimento, a little corn and some raisins. Spice to taste. Drop a soup spoon or a bit more pf the filling in the middle of the wrap, fold one side up and over the filling and bring the edges together and press the edges closing the pocket all the way into a half-moon. Dust with flour and put in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool some and enjoy. (You grab these with your hand.

Comments are closed.

Merchandise

Hoosier Sports Report is live!

How many games will IU football win in 2016?