IU strength coach Morris injured

Indiana University assistant strength and conditioning coach Tom Morris was seriously injured in an off-road mountain biking accident Thursday afternoon.

News of the accident broke on Twitter, drawing comments of support from women’s basketball coach Curt Miller, volleyball coach Sherry Dunbar, former IU soccer player Will Bruin and track star Vera Neuenswander and many others.

Morris has worked with soccer, women’s basketball, track and field, tennis and diving among others.

Anyone wishing to send get-well wishes or cards to Morris can mail them to Assembly Hall, c/o Tom Morris, 1001 E. 17th Street.

UPDATED
Here are a few more details from police reporter Abby Tonsing’s story:

An Indiana University strength and conditioning coach was injured in a bike accident Thursday afternoon at the Wapehani Mountain Bike Park.

Officers found 32-year-old Tom Morris, who told police that he was riding his bike, crashed and may have flipped over the handlebars. Morris said he had been lying on the ground for about three hours and could not feel anything below his chest, according to Bloomington police Sgt. John Kovach.

An officer first was approached by a passerby on the 2800 block of West Wapehani Road about 3:45 p.m. Thursday. This person reported a man was lying on the ground by a bike on the trail.

Morris was first taken to IU Health Bloomington Hospital and later flown to Methodist in Indianapolis, Kovach said. Methodist Hospital officials could not immediately be reached for a patient condition update on Morris.

• who? #1

Friday, May 18, 2012 - 5:33 PM EDT

Thoughts and prayers out for Coach Morris.

• Chet #2

Friday, May 18, 2012 - 5:52 PM EDT

Oh my, I feel so bad for him. I was out of commission for nearly a year in ’07-’08 from a mountain bike crash. Fortunately, I had nothing like possible paralysis to contend with.

Godspeed on your recovery

• Reggie #3

Friday, May 18, 2012 - 8:17 PM EDT

Wow, I’ll defiantly be praying for Coach Morris.

• SGHoosier #4

Friday, May 18, 2012 - 9:08 PM EDT

I had something very similar — went over the handlebar as I went flying down a ravine. Then my head speared the ground followed by a back flip onto a dead log. I was luck as the log was rotten so I just crashed right through it.
    Nevertheless I thought I broke my back, waist down as I couldnt feel a thing.

One of the scariest moments of my life. I have never mountain biked the same way again. (Have jumped off planes and bungy though.)

• Some one who works with him #5

Friday, May 18, 2012 - 9:58 PM EDT

Tom is one of the best. he has been one of the main reasons I’m still playing the sport I am here at IU. I hope people can turn their attention to him and his family instead of their own stories. Pray that he can return.

• Kathy #6

Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 4:18 PM EDT

There has been a facebook page set-up for Tom called “Tom’s Team”. Please “like” and “share” it. It will soon have information regarding donations and fundraising opportunities. Rehab after a spinal cord injury is extensive and costly. Please help if you can, any and all will make a difference. Thank you!

• Jay Gregg #7

Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 6:45 PM EDT

Thank you, Kathy!

I have never met Tom but I am positive that he deserves all that we can do to assist in this trying time.

• Jay Gregg #8

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 10:53 AM EDT

Kathy, is the facebook page established? There are several “Tom’s Team” but I don’t believe they are for this situation.

• Jeremy Price #9

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 4:19 PM EDT

Jay,
    Here’s a link to the correct facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Team/371786896216696

• Jay Gregg #10

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 5:04 PM EDT

Thank you Jeremy.

• quotes about moving on #11

Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 7:52 AM EDT

I was able to find the details that I was searching for.
    I must thank you for the initiatives you have made in writing this article.
    I am expecting the similar best efforts from you in the future as well

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football