Indiana All-Stars complete sweep

INDIANAPOLIS — There was a point early in the second half of Saturday’s All-Star game that the members of the vaunted Indiana basketball Class of 2012 decided amongst each other that what was occurring on the Bankers Life Fieldhouse floor was unacceptable.

Indiana was sending all 13 players on its squad to Division I squads and nine of those to major conference teams. Kentucky didn’t have a high-major signee and was sending just five of its players to Division I.

The game shouldn’t have been close, and Indiana certainly shouldn’t have been down 55-49 with 13 minutes to play as it was.

“When we were down five, I remember I looked at Yogi (Ferrell) and I said, ‘We can’t lose this game at home,’” said Gary Harris, Hamilton Southeastern guard, Mr. Basketball and a Michigan State commitment. “’We just can’t. We need to win.’”

From that point forward, the previously lethargic Indiana squad went on a 30-5 run to win 83-73 in front of 5,938 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Paired with Friday night’s 90-85 win at Freedom Hall, it gave Indiana its fourth straight series sweep in the all-star series.

Whether that was enough for Indiana — which boasts seven players in Rivals.com’s Top 150 for the Class of 2012 — to live up to its hype is debatable. But at the very least, it avoided the potential disappointment of breaking that streak.

Harris led the team with 17 points and five steals. Broad Ripple guard and Indiana signee Ron Patterson had 14 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Pike guard R.J. Hunter had 11 points and four assists and Lawrence Central swingman and Indiana signee Jeremy Hollowell had nine points and nine rebounds.

“We definitely didn’t want to let everyone else down,” Park Tudor point guard and Indiana signee Yogi Ferrell said. “… We just wanted to live up to what everyone else expected to us, and I think we did tonight.”

The reason that happened, they said, was that after a week of prodding from Jay County coach Craig Teagle, they finally put their collective efforts into defense.

It all started with Harris, who played worthy of his Mr. Basketball title all week. With Indiana down 51-47, he gambled on a pass at the top of the key, stole that and turned it into an easy fast break dunk.

Though Indiana fell behind by two more buckets after that, the squad realized what it had to do. Indiana hadn’t shot well up until that point — making just 35.7 of its shots (15-of-42) in the first half — and would make life much easier on itself if it could create turnovers and get out in transition.

“Defense carried into our transition game,” Ferrell said. “We were playing our game. We’re an athletic fast team. They weren’t really getting back at all. We would always have 3-on-1 opportunities. We were just getting easy buckets. Just talking on defense just led to easy buckets on our offense.”

Said Harris: “Once we saw we were getting easy buckets, we wanted to play defense so we’d get more easy buckets. I think that just gave us a little spark.”

The Indiana lineup of Ferrell, Harris, Hunter, Hollowell Hollowell, Avon forward Austin Burgett and Pike guard R.J. Hunter was on the floor for most of the 20-2 run that ballooned into the 30-5 stretch. Ferrell provided the on-the-ball pressure up the floor. Harris and Hunter gave them two long-armed wing defenders, and Hollowell and Burgett managed to provide post defense to a squad that didn’t have much inside. When they weren’t creating steals — Indiana had 14 of those in the second half — they were contesting shots. Kentucky shot just 11-for-30 (36.7 percent) in the second half.

“We kept getting them to try to buy in on the defensive end (all week),” Teagle said. “’Guys, you’re so athletic, you’re so intelligent, you’re long, you can just be a shutdown team.’ … It’s just one of those things, the longer we would’ve had them, the better they would’ve been defensively. I’m telling you, when a college coach gets these guys under their wing for four or five months during the season, you’re going to see some outstanding defense from all of them.”

They got just enough of it on Saturday night to make certain to meet expectations and continue Indiana’s sweep streak through 2012.

AUDIO: Gary Harris, Yogi Ferrell, R.J. Hunter, Craig Teagle

• Geoff #1

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 2:20 AM EDT

So is Patterson the most competitive recruit? That’s what I’m getting out of all these summaries. Starting to think he is going to make more of an impact next year than i expected. I’m also starting to wish that maybe a nuclear accident happens and Hollowell and Buss melt into each other creating a super-talent called Grit Man, who destroys his adversaries on defense, flies through the air in transition, and has an offensive game as versatile as the utility belt on his his uniform.

• Chet #2

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 7:55 AM EDT

I can remember when that game packed Freedom Hall and Hinkle Fieldhouse.

• Hoosier Clarion #3

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 9:08 AM EDT

Geoff, I’ll offer my synopsis on Patterson. “D” with in your face ATTITUDE and hi-energy offense welcoming opportunity. He was criticized for having mediocre range with his shooting. Over the last 2-3 years he has been called a ball hog. You are a BB man how do you improve your shooting range and marksmanship? He was ridiculed last year when he left his future IU teammates and their AAU team for another. All for the sake to hone his offensive talents into skills. He set the scoring record at Broad Ripple while breaking former IU Mike Woodsons old one. The end result after all the criticism is he has polished his offensive game so when he gets to Bloomington he can make as solid an impact as possible and as a team player. But make no mistake about it, he is the most fierce HS school defender I have ever observed and that will be his ticket to play early on at IU. Hollowell is a hell of a rebounder on both ends of the court as well as good scoring skills.

• Chet #4

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 9:11 AM EDT

HC, right on target. You can learn offensive skills (not that there isn’t skill to defense) but D comes from deep within. You don’t see many players become great defenders late in their career.

• Hoosier Clarion #5

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 9:41 AM EDT

Geoff, To add just a little more about RP and “D”, I watched him last year eat up Marcus Paige at an AAU event. Paige is high ranked PG who is committed to the Tar Heels for 2012.

• Math456 #6

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 11:27 AM EDT

u.K. Big yellow nation!

• Harvard for Hillbillies #7

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 1:00 PM EDT

Hope these guys don’t sit on their laurels once they get to IU. That’s why the whole ranking/star system for recruits has gradually damaged the game. These kids have such big heads that they think their greater than any game. Every team pursuit becomes tiresome and blaze…just another game while the grandeur stage awaits.

Coaches that ruined the IU vs. UK series no different in my eye. Care more about Twitter and personal philosophies to elevate their own images. It rubs off on the high school kids…More about their personal mark than something intrinsic and lasting.

• IUMIKE1 #8

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 2:20 PM EDT

HC, I totally share your sentiment about RP. He will be instant improvement for IU in the area of defense where we lacked it the most, on the perimeter. He may not be arriving with the most fanfare out of the incoming freshman but he will almost assuredly be the biggest surprise to a whole lot of people that have not seen him play or have only seen him play a time or two or only in all star game type settings.

Dustin, let me just say at the start that the following is not a dig at Harris because he didn’t pick IU but rather it is the opinion of myself and as well as the person that went to the game with me who is a very successful IN high school coach. While Harris may have played well last in last night’s game and that performance was worthy of that honor (I was not at it), I would have to disagree on the “all week” part. His play in the game in KY, (I was at this one), left something to be desired (IOHO), especially on defense. He was scored on at will by the KY Mr. Bball at the beginning of that game, so much that the IN coaches finally had to have him switch with another player defensively so that KY did not pretty much just throw the ball into him and let him score on Harris each time. His overall game in KY, again IOHO & several other people’s, left something to be desired. I know this was technically an all star game but I think most would agree it is not your run of the mill all star game or it sure didn’t look like it on Yogi’s face when he pretty much sealed the game in KY at the end with the steal accompanied with the and one. I know that Harris probably understands that he can’t play like that when he gets up there with Izzo, cause if he does, even at first, Izzo will have his ass between his clenched teeth and won’t let go. Again I know it was still an all star game but I would have expected alot more out of him than he gave.

• BballFan #9

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 4:00 PM EDT

“I’m also starting to wish that maybe a nuclear accident happens and Hollowell and Buss melt into each other creating a super-talent called Grit Man…”

Oh great. One more clown coming here to float his own theory on how Crean is going to solve the oversign problem.

*vbg*

• bear3440 #10

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 4:20 PM EDT

I was at the game last night, and I thought #9 (J Hollowell) did alot the firing up, in the second half. Rebounding,blocking shots and some monster slam dunks!!
    Some of these guys did’nt fit together well, that’s why the score got a little out of hand. As soon as he chsnged a few things, BOOM, big difference. I must say #10 (R. Johnson), played extremely well also!! Just IMHO

• TsaoTsuG #11

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 4:45 PM EDT

Chet, me too. I was really lucky, I had a part-time job for 4-5 years as a correspondent/stringer for the old United Press wire service (later became UPI- my boss was a great guy named Kurt Freudenthal) and he would assign me Indy sectional and regionals, state semi-finals and the finals-(as a dressing room interviewer). He also had me cover Indiana-Kentucky all week and the game; and track and field. Watched Butler Fieldhouse(later renamed Hinkle Fieldhouse) literally exploding at the seams for Indiana-Kentucky; saw (the Coalmon brothers, Jimmy Rayl, the great and later heart-breaking Ray Pavy, Bo Crain, the Van Arsdales, Herbie Lee), followed it all week, traveled to L-oo-vull; and it was a very important story.

I loved sitting at the press bench, best seats in the house, but also loved to go up in the Eagle’s Nest and see the entire 17,000 in the Fieldhouse divided into colors of the schools, beating like a heart, like in a Disney cartoon.

Yesterday, when I read the attendance, I could not believe it…I still can’t believe it. The Indianapolis City Tournament used to fill it up, hell Shortridge-Crispus Attucks used to be moved to the Fieldho0use because it would draw 8000 on a regular basis 2-3 times per year (between scheduled games, City tournament and sectionals).

Beating Kentucky was an important part of growing up and learn how to hate something worth hating. Can’t believe the number Dustin described (I think it was in his story).

• TsaoTsuG #12

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 4:49 PM EDT

Thanks Bear, good comment. It helps to know who’s who and the ‘insides of the game’.

• TsaoTsuG #13

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 4:58 PM EDT

HC…I’ve been reading the threads from the bottom up, so I just read the Patterson post. Great post and evaluation…especially your comments that seem to show someone knew how to improve his game. Part of the problem I see with the summer basketball that it seems the club/coaches compete with each other but in the process they may not focus on what the kids need individually to improve. Seems whoever is advising Patterson knew what he/she was doing.

Broad Ripple has been one heck of a school for a heck of a long time. Of course, they don’t come better than Woodson so if Patterson broke his records he must be something to see and glad he will do what he does in Hoosier Red. Loved your comments about his defense and rebounding. You obviously know how to watch this game.

• Reggie #14

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 5:02 PM EDT

Wow, Buss is a beast!

• TsaoTsuG #15

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 5:27 PM EDT

OK…I give…Reggie, you wanted to contribute,…then contribute! who are we calling ‘Buss’? I do not follow these guys but nicknames.

• Geoff #16

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 6:11 PM EDT

Bus’s = Patterson…

Bball fan #9 – that was brilliant. Hilarious.

• TsaoTsuG #17

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 6:28 PM EDT

Geoff….thanks

• Chet #18

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 9:46 PM EDT

I don’t know how they draw these days but when I went to Jeffersonville HS they would have had over 5000 in attendance for a Tuesday night non conference game.

• TsaoTsuG #19

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 11:50 PM EDT

Yep…my jaw dropped when I read that Indiana-Ky drew 5000.

• Podunker #20

Monday, June 11, 2012 - 10:43 AM EDT

Yep. Glad I’m not alone in being surprised by the attendance figures quoted. Maybe, since the KY All Stars were not supposed to be any good, people were not excited by what they thought was going to be poor competition.

Anyone have a hypothesis as to why to the attendance was so low?

• Reggie #21

Monday, June 11, 2012 - 11:10 AM EDT

“Bus” not Buss = Ron Patterson. I think everybody thought the game would turn into a blowout, that’s why attendance was so low. Also, I believe the state’s top player not going to an Indiana school contributed to poor attendance. People seem to like big dominant guys (Cody Zeller) and we didn’t have that this year. Too bad only IHSAA guys could compete in the series. We really needed an Alex Olah or Hanner Perea.

• Chet #22

Monday, June 11, 2012 - 11:23 AM EDT

Well, maybe. The Plumlee’s won all sorts of national high school awards in North Carolina, after escaping the Zellers’ shadows, but nobody I knew gave a rat’s a$$ about them. They weren’t seen as North Carolina products.

People generally feel the same way about Christ School, where they matriculated. They always have D1 recruits. I went to a game there. It looked like gym class. Maybe 50 people in the stands. Even though they don’t draw like Hoosier high schools, the public schools can usually get one or two thousand in the seats. At least 700-800. The quality of basketball isn’t very good, though.

• Flex Court Athletics #23

Monday, June 11, 2012 - 2:11 PM EDT

great blog, keep it up!

• Geoff #24

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 1:57 AM EDT

Reggie – actually the correct spelling is Buss. It is short for busta, and was given to him by his grandmother because he used to cry and whine so much as a little kid.

• chris #25

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 6:29 PM EDT

From everything & everyone that I’ve heard over the months, Patterson is indeed an intense player that hustles & plays good defense. We coud use that immediately. We’re all drinking the top ranked kool aid going into next season, but to see it through the defense MUST improve. The offense will be there in spades, but Crean needs to find a way to pick up the D in order to join the true elite.

• Laffy #26

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 7:04 PM EDT

The reason I’m most excited about next year is the defense.

All the kids can score.

Crean will say, “Whoever plays defense like someone slapped their momma will see the floor. The second you let up, you’re coming out.”

I think Patterson’s love of D will rub off on everyone else.

• Geoff #27

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 9:34 PM EDT

To expand on that… We graduate a liability on defense (VJ3) and bring in 2 very good perimeter defenders in Yogi and Buss. But even more importantly we give Zeller some athletic depth behind him. Last year if one of our average-at-best (except Dipo) perimeter defenders got beat Cody had to be extremely careful because he was so valuable and irreplaceable. He will be equally irreplaceable this year, but now we’ll have guys like Perea and Jurkin who can protect the rim and afford fouls. Pritch just wasn’t much of a deterrent back there last year.

At times I hope to see a defense-centric line-up of:

Yogi
    Buss
    Dipo
    Perea
    Zeller

Not only can that group pressure the ball, but also protect the rim… And unlike most defensive line-ups that group should really be able to score.

• Chet #28

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 9:47 PM EDT

The crazy thing (in a good way) is you actually would like to see a lineup of three freshmen, a sophomore, and a junior.

• TsaoTsuG #29

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 9:52 PM EDT

Laffy, a friend once told me offense may win games, defense wins championships. Regardless of the sport (many NFL coaches believe the same thing)that is a truism. Fans, generally are hypnotized by offense because it’s how we learned the game in the driveway and alley.

But look at the championship teams, even that other school….. …… (just can’t say it!), where they really excelled was as a defensive team and the reason we nearly caught them was because we were able to attack, penetrate and hurt their defense….,(or, that day maybe they simply didn’t play it- whichever). I’m looking forward to Patterson and, of course the player I think will be the biggest surprise contributor (though not too surprisingly to those who followed him), Remy Abell.

• Chet #30

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:03 PM EDT

That used to be true in the NFL but, let’s face it, in professional football offense wins championships these days.
    The last team to win a championship with their defense was the Ravens.

• Chet #31

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:10 PM EDT

I turned on the NBA Finals for a few minutes and I am amazed at the skill level.

I had a friend growing up (a former Mr. Basketball) who played a few years in The League. He was known as a distributor and a defender, never much of a scoring threat. Against us normal human beings he could score at will from 25 feet on in. Even against some really good guys. If we were playing a timed game he could easily score 100 points on us every time out if he wanted to.

Such is the difference in skill between professionals and mere humans.

• Lord of the Very Busy Scoop Guys #32

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:25 PM EDT

How could you omit Remy Abell from a defensive intensity discussion while acknowledging the weaknesses of VJ? And wasn’t 90% of the criticism on this blog last season always aimed at Jordy’s horrible defense(Laffy carrying on endless and showing us the earth-stopping words of Seth Davis, etc.)?

Anyway, we lose some very big games without Remy coming to the rescue..Not to mention, he put some very clutch minutes together without the benefit of any substantial playing time earlier in the season. Not only the defensive intensity he added last season, but his ability(VCU..@Purdue) to step up under pressure, hit some timely shots, bring the ball up when Jones was hurt and Jordy was getting swallowed up, and put a his big athletic body on an opponents’ perimeter threats. He bailed Crean’s a$$ out of trouble on many occasion and played big-time for a kid that was always going to be second fiddle to the “chosen one”(a.k.a. “he who shall not be mentioned”) Who will be the “chosen one” next year? I’m guessing it will be Yogi.

I sure hope we don’t lose Remy to the scholarship issue. I suppose what will be, will be..I love the kid. I picked him to be a Hoosier when no one on this blog knew his name or recognized the talent potential. I think Harvard may have talked Tom Crean into offering him in the spring of 2011(I was using a different blogging name back then, but Dustin is very aware my hopes Crean would offer him…Kellenberger was censoring most my posts so many never made the pages of Scoop).

• Lord of the Very Busy Scoop Guys #33

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:28 PM EDT

^Yup, that was me.

• Chet #34

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:33 PM EDT

I love Remy. I’d truly hate to lose him on a number of levels. He’s a helluva basketball player.

Come on. Quit changing names. That cheapens quality posts.

• Geoff #35

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:34 PM EDT

How about we follow that up with an offensive line-up of:

Yogi
    Hulls
    Sheehey/Hollowell
    Watford
    Zeller

• Geoff #36

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:45 PM EDT

Hulls got a lot of criticism, but it was due to cliche, not what was happening on the court.

I directed my criticism where it was deserved, based on multiple video breakdowns of each game, and most telling, the numerous career highs that B1G guards dropped on Jones just prior to his first injury (Hollins, Smith, etc).

• Chet #37

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 10:52 PM EDT

If you were a defender looking at guarding Jordy you wouldn’t sleep for a week. He wasn’t just a jump shooter, he was fearless going to the hole.

• TsaoTsuG #38

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 11:59 PM EDT

Abell is essential. I have absolutely no concern about his status with Coach Crean. Why? The Lord looks down on suicide in the Book!

• Hoosier Clarion #39

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 7:42 AM EDT

The A “D” TEAM

Abell
    Patterson
    Vic
    Zeller
    Jurkin

2 Frosh
    2 Sophs
    1 Junior

All big, mobile and most importantly LONG.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #40

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 9:12 AM EDT

Have any of you ever visited the Hoosier Chronicles website…Great site with a lot of goodies for the extremely passionate Hoosier basketball fan. He’s got some fun clips of classic IU moments….His recent write-up on 6/8/12 highlights the history of Indiana All Stars & IU..It’s pretty neat and sure stirs the pot of memories when you look at the list of names Chronic has assembled. Then again, do we hang banners without guys like Scott May(Ohio)..Quinn Buckner(Illinois), Isiah Thomas(Chicago)..?

Found this video clip on the site..Thought it might get the juices flowing for Hoosier football fans…The clip captures how carefree and fleeting such wonderful days of college life can be..Are Scoop bloggers the best fans to ever walk the planet or do we just long to have those days back?..Undoubtedly, the college years are some of the best times our life.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #41

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 10:13 AM EDT

Appears to be a very slow day at Scoop..

How ’bout a song?

We’ll call it a Husky Tom dedication.

Hmm? Wonder if he’s traveling in Europe right now..Likely sipping a cold beer under an umbrella at some beautiful street cafe in Annecy.

• Geoff #42

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 11:03 AM EDT

Don’t they drink warm beer in annecy?

• Harvard for Hillbillies #43

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 11:08 AM EDT

I guess that’s very possible…I’m just a dumb Indiana hick that guzzles Budweiser.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #44

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 11:25 AM EDT

How do you stop the Thunder? Is Westbrook not the quintessential point guard? …and what a picturesque pull-up jumper in transition. I never followed Westbrook’s college game..He’s one damn impressive, multi-faceted, supremely athletic compliment to Durant.

What do you think, Geoff? Which dynamic duo do you give advantage(LaBron/Wade vs. Durant/Westbrook)? Who do like in the series?

I’m picking the Thunder in seven.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #45

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 3:12 PM EDT

……. we are famous for Annecy B&B paragliding holidays but whatever you want from a holiday in the Alps. Every activity from Adventure Shopping to Winter Sports – you will find it all here and we can make the arrangements just for you.

Maison du Moulin B&B Annecy is quaint, comfortable, informal and friendly. The greatest place to just chill out in good company. A mill house from the middle ages where you can pick a sunny spot in the garden to drink a cold beer,look up at the evening sun glowing pink on the mountains and watch the paraglider pilots coming in to land. With the background sound of the brook breathe in Annecy’s Alpine air. Aromas of home grown, home cooked food waft out of our kitchen, occasionally followed by the noise of breaking glass, a fast moving cat, chunky the dog and a choice word or two….Relax.

In the winter you can curl up in the lounge warmed by the log fire, comforted by the local ‘spirits’ with one of our thousands of books for company. – - – Life as it should be.

Happy now?

• Chet #46

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 4:31 PM EDT

I can’t afford to hang out with Harvard.

• TsaoTsuG #47

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 5:25 PM EDT

Actually, it sound like a little inn I once saw and stayed at near Ashville- on a small state road, overlooking a small lake in the mountains. All I remember is that there were no TVs in the rooms and the big attraction was the food, the calm, the setting and a huge library with a fireplace. The Smokey’s answer to Annecy?

Can you help what I’m recalling Chet? Been trying to get back to it ever since (some 25+ years ago) but for the life of me I can’t remember the name. If I do, dinner is on me for you and the wife.

• Reggie #48

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 5:43 PM EDT

My guess is that Jordy or somebody else will pay their own way next year. If anybody transfers though it will probably be Remy, AE, or Derek. I really think Remy is gonna be a key backup for Yogi so I doubt he transfers.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #49

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 6:05 PM EDT

You’re merely hanging out in my dreams…Not too far off we’ll sip that beer in a virtual reality scenario provided by the latest Apple i-headset. Sad part is we’ll learn to make it enough stimulation to replace the real thing out of reach the dwindling pocket books the 99%. I actually traveled down some Annecy streets today using my Google Earth application. There is really nothing hidden our view these days and the small substitute granted a taste of a true experience moderates our thirst for exploration, love, and mystery. It’s all rather sad what technology has brought. It steals your drive and imagination more than anything else…It bombards and hollows the brain with repeated stimuli that damages the ability to draw passion from the unseen and untraveled roads our thoughts.

The old friend I used to blog with on Hoosier Basketblog gave me a much more beautiful vision in his words describing the small village where the French baker named Pierre would open his shop every morning at the base of the Alps a town nestled into the valley my dreams. The pictures now provided by a click of the mouse do his one-of-a-kind painting specifically aimed as fantasy across my synapses no justice. It defaces the memory our old exchanges and removes the clothes; a perverse quest of sorts this technological world-distorting with reality what was so better left to the imagination.

It won’t be long those once filled football and basketball stadiums will be as empty as my Annecy dreams.

• Chet #50

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 6:22 PM EDT

TTG, Lake Junaluska maybe? The lodge has gotten bigger over the years.

Google Earth is an interesting tool but it will never replace being there.

• Harvard for Hillbillies #51

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 6:55 PM EDT

Rather than gather in a field at Woodstock, they gather by the thousands to line up for a shot to be the next “it” on American Idol.

I wouldn’t be too certain what can ever replace anything in the shallow and superficial pursuits technology is holding hostage our collective souls. Ask Reggie…The end is near.

Prediction: Elston and Roth are off the team. Scholarship issue fixed.

• Geoff #52

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 11:05 PM EDT

Harvard – excellent research finding that quote. I am satisfied.

As far as the NBA Finals, my original pick was Thunder in 6. I don’t say that because of Durant/Westbrook – I say it because of Ibaka/Perkins/Collison. OKC has very good interior defenders and rim protectors. I Also think that Sefalosha is about as good a defender as you can match up with Wade or LeBron.

If I was starting a team today I would take Durant & Westbrook, entirely because of Wade’s age. But if I was building a team for a 1 year run I would take LeBron and Wade. Like I said, I think the difference in this series is the supporting cast, not the main players. Put Wade and LeBron on that OKC team and they may not lose a game all year. That being said I think that Wade may be dealing with an injury that no one is talking about and will come out as soon as the series is over. He just doesn’t seem to be himself right now. I don’t think any of the other 3 are as valuable as LeBron. He is just so physically dominant, such a gifted passer, and such a great defender, that I don’t even see the argument for Durant being the best.

Harvard – why do you think that it will (should?) be Elston?

• Harvard for Hillbillies #53

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 11:16 PM EDT

“Harvard – why do you think that it will (should?) be Elston?”

I think I answered that on the other thread..You’ll find it.

I agree. LeBron is spectacular…My gut is going with Thunder, but my heart desires the Heat.

Can the Hoosiers make a bowl game without Nate Sudfeld?

IU vs Michigan State Football